Cruise excursion stickers

I am having my post lunch siesta in my cabin on Arvia. We are currently in Marseille along with Norwegian Pearl and Costas Deliziosa and Toscana. We went on an excursion to Aix-en-Provence this morning. There were obviously other tours from the aforementioned ships also in town. I noticed that the other tour groups had their numbered stickers and us Arvians did not. Is this yet another example of cost cutting? (Disclaimer: my tongue is very much in my cheek as I write this)

• Haha 2

We haven’t been given stickers for years. I seem to remember having them in busy places like St P, Athens and Rome when several coaches from our ship ran the same trip. More recently, the few excursions we’ve done haven’t even filled one coach. 

Posted (edited)

This is one of my bug bears as a solo traveller, I have to pick out certain people in my own group (e.g. Guy in bright green top) so if I turn to take a photo and the group moves on I can catch up with them! It's probably an environmental thing rather than cost cutting but it's surprisingly easy for the group to stretch out at times.

Edited by Pink15
  • Like 2

This is our first post pandemic P&O cruise. We were on NCL last September and they used the usual little numbered stickers, I was just mildly surprised that they have not been evident on this cruise.

They were stopped in some places where such a sticker marked you out as a tourist ripe for pick pocketing.

Some places still require them to be worn to identify which registered tour guide you are with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

They were stopped in some places where such a sticker marked you out as a tourist ripe for pick pocketing.

I'm not sure that a sticker in itself would achieve that as it is pretty obvious who are tourists (especially those with their cruise card around their neck, or wearing P&O merchandise) and who are not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Some places still require them to be worn to identify which registered tour guide you are with.

Whereas everyone wearing headphones, or following a person with an umbrella would fool a professional pickpocket 😉

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Pink15 said:

Whereas everyone wearing headphones, or following a person with an umbrella would fool a professional pickpocket 😉

Yes I think that's why I don't do excursions!!

2 hours ago, Pink15 said:

Whereas following a person with an umbrella would fool a professional pickpocket 😉

On a more positive note they attract chimney sweeps which can be very lucky if you kiss them. I overheard a story in the laundry of a lady that got back on the ship and won the Bingo Jackpot.

Regards John

6 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This made me smile. On our Caribbean cruise we were constantly told to avoid looking like a tourist ........................................... makes me chuckle now. We tried, but failed miserably at every port.

We haven’t been given stickers for years but when in Rome last year I noticed lots of people wearing them and just as much stuck on the floor trodden in looking a mess .

My redundant stickers are stuck onto the outside of my kindle case along with Covid injection ones. Don’t ask me why but it seemed a good idea at the time. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Pink15 said:

This is one of my bug bears as a solo traveller, I have to pick out certain people in my own group (e.g. Guy in bright green top) so if I turn to take a photo and the group moves on I can catch up with them! It's probably an environmental thing rather than cost cutting but it's surprisingly easy for the group to stretch out at times.

I did this on my recent Marella cruise excursions despite having a sticker as well. (Especially in Trieste as both Explorer1&2 were docked) It settles any panic I may have that I’ll get separated from the group or that I’ve got the wrong ‘meeting point’ etc. and I will be doing it with P&O too! 🙂

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

My redundant stickers are stuck onto the outside of my kindle case along with Covid injection ones. Don’t ask me why but it seemed a good idea at the time. 

Our redundant stickers go on the inside of any travel guides we have bought for the holiday or the inside of the cruise brochure we used to be given pre cruise. It was a good idea at the time but when we see them we have noooooooo idea what tour it was ??!!