? How to Contact Others with no Internet Package

Hi all.

We have a large group going on Harmony next month.

Some will have internet package, others not.

How do I message/text my family members on board ship. We all have cell phones.

Thanks.  Sorry if this question has been asked a million times. 🏖️

imessage from iphone to iphone works connected to the ships freefi while in airplane mode. The app chat feature also works but you need the app open to see any messages.

My DD and I used the messaging tool on the app while on the anthem of the seas in March.  We did not find it unreliable.  We connected to the internet by clicking on the app link for free.  We found our messages always went through.  The one thing I do not like about that is that there is no notice you have a message. You have to look at your phone.  My iPhone would show I had a message on the screen and I would then open the app.  

Not a perfect system--but a big step up from sticky notes or white boards. 😁

Posted (edited)

We never get internet and find the Royal chat works ok.  Sometimes there is a delay but really happy they added it as it makes it so much easier to keep in touch.  There are notifications, but sometimes it is delayed.  You can message individuals or even create a group chat which is helpful.  

Edited by LuCruise

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I thought this loophole was closed a few years ago

It worked for my wife and I on our May 4th Icon sailing. We could text between us and others with iphones off ship. I could not text to android users. But then mine stopped working late in the cruise for whatever reason. Hers continued to work.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's the unreliable part.

I guess I would not characterize that as unreliable.  It works the way it was designed to work.  We found that it worked very well.  We just used it to let DD know where we were in case, she wanted to join us.  We could coordinate our mealtimes and locations. She did not send too many chatty messages.  We saved those for when we were together.  

Just now, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I guess I would not characterize that as unreliable.  It works the way it was designed to work.  We found that it worked very well.  We just used it to let DD know where we were in case, she wanted to join us.  We could coordinate our mealtimes and locations. She did not send too many chatty messages.  We saved those for when we were together.  

I can't imagine they designed it to send notifications many hours later or not at all.

But as long as you constantly check it, it can get the job done.

3 hours ago, georgemoe said:

We could text between us and others with iphones off ship.

Icon might be the exception - that doesn't work on most ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, georgemoe said:

Good to know. Thanks!

You might get inbound messages (and other notifications) on all/most ships, but outbound usually doesn't work.

• Like 1