Favorite Facial

I am not a fan of the spa, I think the prices are outrageous and the push to sell you products makes the entire experience stressful.  A recent thread speaks to this type of situation experience on the Volendam. (begin with post #304)  YMMV

I hope that you have a relaxing facial.  Please post about your experience.

• Like 1

I had a pedicure here on Zuiderdam and it was great. She did offer two products at the end but a simple “no thank you” and that was it. No pressure!  I was happy with the experience!    ~Nancy

• Like 3

I love a good Facial and have had plenty on board, usually I have it as an add on to a 75 minute massage or do a 50 min massage and 50 min facial. It really would depend on your needs but the Superfood one is good for a lower price as well as the Collagen, the higher priced one to me does not really do anything more other than use those tools that to me is more hype making you think it is doing something. A very plain basic cleansing facial is just as beneficial as the high end ones. Longer is always better so they have to a few more steps. To me it is better to pay for longer than some fancy name on it. 

Just my opinion those that complain about being sold stuff have not gone to their local salons. First off that is their job to sell, believe it or not they actually do not make that much money doing your massage or facial, it is the gratuities and selling products that make up a majority of their income. This is the same with your local land based salons. Many times those that start pushing and try to do the whole spiel are fairly new and that is what they are being taught. Their supervisors are watching for them to do that. In the past few years I have been cruising at least 4 times per year and each and everyone of those cruises over several cruise lines I have had Spa Services. They ALWAYS ask when was your last massage or facial? I always answer just a few weeks ago. So at that point they know I have had the pitch. I often then say I purchase my products frequently from Elemis on line. At that point I seldom get much for selling of products. They may ask which products I use so I then state a few products from the Elemis line (even if I do not use them frequently) Actually I have found with some if they know they do not have to do their sales pitch they relax a bit.

Then to counter on the prices, those saying they are too high, have you actually checked pricing at your local salons. I have found that over all HAL pricing especially if you buy in advance is cheaper than I can  get at home, plus is far cheaper than cruise lines I have frequented in the last two years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My top 2 are the Collagen and the Superfood. I usually get the Superfood since it's not offered at my local land spa, but the Collagen is.

I do buy products online direct from Elemis (at a discount) and as @LAFFNVEGAS said, they really tone down the sales pitch when I tell them that.

• Like 2

Ladies- have you ever tried the Elemis Biotec firm-a-lift one? I have never had any facial so if I treat myself to a pre-cruise special, I am wondering do the effects last very long?

Screenshot_20240520-125108_Chrome.jpg

41 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Ladies- have you ever tried the Elemis Biotec firm-a-lift one? I have never had any facial so if I treat myself to a pre-cruise special, I am wondering do the effects last very long?

Screenshot_20240520-125108_Chrome.jpg

I tried it in July of 2021, we were on the first sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam from the covid shut down/HAL's return to cruising, I wanted to treat myself so I did several treatments and this was one of them.I was a good facial while it was happening. After they finish they have you look closely in the mirror and point out how there was less wrinkles and my face was firmer. Of course they did do a slight sail of promoting some stuff that I did not buy. I did however have one of the products they stated to use already in my stateroom and have been using. When I got back to my stateroom I was still impressed that I thought my face looked pretty good. Fast forward the rest of the day and washing my face before bed. Unfortunately the wrinkles reappeared and it I looked the same as I did before I went. Now granted it may work better for others but I was not impressed. That is why I always just go for the least expensive Facial. It is still a good facial and the products they use are good with the Super Foods one. I just won't spend that kind of money for that facial. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

That is why I always just go for the least expensive Facial. It is still a good facial and the products they use are good with the Super Foods one. I just won't spend that kind of money for that facial. 

Thank you Lisa- just the kind of information I needed- my wrinkles and I will just have to co-exist! I think I might try the superfoods one though, just for the experience.

-Pam

• Like 1

OP back to report. I ended going with the dynamic resurfacing facial. I took a before and after picture and could see a  small difference. Kind of a glow/dewy effect.  It was very relaxing. The shoulder and neck massage was excellent. Upsell wasn’t too bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This thread makes me laugh. The spa is outrageously expensive. They force you to pay gratuity. They push I don’t care what you say products. And my spot at home doesn’t push anything. I realize there are people out there who don’t think the spa is expensive don’t mind Product, etc. etc. but don’t pretend it doesn’t happen lol. 

3 hours ago, esimon said:

This thread makes me laugh. The spa is outrageously expensive. They force you to pay gratuity. They push I don’t care what you say products. And my spot at home doesn’t push anything. I realize there are people out there who don’t think the spa is expensive don’t mind Product, etc. etc. but don’t pretend it doesn’t happen lol. 

You have an odd sense of humor. Someone asked about other’s experiences. Other people replied about their personal experiences. However, they must be “pretending” about their experience because it doesn’t match your preconceived expectation.

Well, as they say, laughter is the best medicine so at least you got some benefit from this thread about facials w/o having to spend a penny, or a gratuity, or listen to an upsell. 

• Like 1

I didn’t say they were pretending lol I said what my experience was but it was different than how you thought I should’ve responded. Therefore I’m the problem lol. Got a love these chats.

• Haha 1