Report from Spirit of Discovery 28th April

lincslady

Dover is, as most people know, so much better than Portsmouth for embarking and disembarking.  It is a pity that Saga have to use Portsmouth, and not Southampton for the Med. and Canaries cruises.  The obligatory shuttle bus at Portsmouth is horrible for anyone with walking problems, and not likely to improve I fear.

• Like 3

Disembarked at Portsmouth on Friday after a good cruise on Discovery. Wet Portugal, mostly wet Western Spain and France. The new port at Portsmouth is much more efficient and pleasant than Southampton and many times better than Dover which is a nightmare to travel to and from for most people (M25 !!!). Newcastle would be better. 🤣 We left the library at 9.30 as required and we’re sitting in our Titanmobile at 9.50. Then a pleasant nonstop (our choice) trip of 3.5 hours home. It took 5 plus hours from Dover last year. Interestingly, although we were supposed to share transport, we were sole occupants both going to Portsmouth and coming home. Imagine our surprise to meet up with old friends who live within half a mile from us who also travelled as sole occupants. Not complaining but not good planning.

incidentally they were not many steamers put out as nearly the whole cruise was wet and windy and very few ventured out on the promenade deck whilst sailing. The crew were putting them out as we disembarked. 

Particular mention to the staff in the Grill for consistently providing great service and good food.

One comment we heard from very many was that we couldn’t understand the Captain’s morning announcements. I’m afraid his English was very accented. We had no clue as to what weather to expect, disembarkation deck etc…. The one important announcement about passports to be surrendered was thankfully repeated by the Entertainments Director.  I’m sure they knew of the possibility of misunderstanding. In 12 days we never saw him around the ship either unlike the friendly Canadian giant of last year. 

39 minutes ago, cowandbucket said:

Disembarked at Portsmouth on Friday after a good cruise on Discovery. Wet Portugal, mostly wet Western Spain and France. The new port at Portsmouth is much more efficient and pleasant than Southampton and many times better than Dover which is a nightmare to travel to and from for most people (M25 !!!). Newcastle would be better. 🤣 We left the library at 9.30 as required and we’re sitting in our Titanmobile at 9.50. Then a pleasant nonstop (our choice) trip of 3.5 hours home. It took 5 plus hours from Dover last year. Interestingly, although we were supposed to share transport, we were sole occupants both going to Portsmouth and coming home. Imagine our surprise to meet up with old friends who live within half a mile from us who also travelled as sole occupants. Not complaining but not good planning.

incidentally they were not many steamers put out as nearly the whole cruise was wet and windy and very few ventured out on the promenade deck whilst sailing. The crew were putting them out as we disembarked. 

Particular mention to the staff in the Grill for consistently providing great service and good food.

One comment we heard from very many was that we couldn’t understand the Captain’s morning announcements. I’m afraid his English was very accented. We had no clue as to what weather to expect, disembarkation deck etc…. The one important announcement about passports to be surrendered was thankfully repeated by the Entertainments Director.  I’m sure they knew of the possibility of misunderstanding. In 12 days we never saw him around the ship either unlike the friendly Canadian giant of last year. 

Who was the captain. 

Captain Volarić . There was a Captain’s reception but we didn’t attend so I assume he was there. Previous cruises on Saga, Cunard, P&O, Thomson the officers were seen around the ship and greeted one as they passed. Indeed on QM2 the Captain often toured the lounges and chatted. Not necessary I know but pleasant. This didn’t spoil the cruise and we have booked for next year (Summer Med) and now are confirmed saganauts . Truly hope they do not get taken over and changed in any way. 

I haven't been able to understand the Captain's comments on the last 2 cruises. One had a thick accent (Franko Papic), the other apparently mumbled (Darin Bowland). As both were perfectly legible face-to-face, suspect that it may have been a speaker system problem.Was not of much concern to me, as pretty sure that if it was an announcement that I needed to hear, it would be made clearly and repeated clearly.

Incidentally, as a committed carnivore, on the last cruise (Discovery) one MDR dinner option was a roasted vegetable loaf (vegan). DH and I tried it. Absolutely delicious. Not pretending to be a meat substitute/sausage/burger - just chopped compressed roasted vegetables. Clever chefs, on Saga, catering for all.

• Like 2

Portsmouth now has a modern cruise terminal with all amenities perfectly suitable for small ships.  I was there a week ago and it’s far easier to get there for 90% of the population. Tilbury and Dover are fine for those south of London. Most of us never want to go near London and the M25! Heathrow etc… it’s a nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cowandbucket said:

Portsmouth now has a modern cruise terminal with all amenities perfectly suitable for small ships.  I was there a week ago and it’s far easier to get there for 90% of the population. Tilbury and Dover are fine for those south of London. Most of us never want to go near London and the M25! Heathrow etc… it’s a nightmare.

The terminal is fine. It's the shuttle bus & all it entails that I don't like.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JMMKUK said:

The terminal is fine. It's the shuttle bus & all it entails that I don't like.

The terminal is not fine for me. When you book assistance at Southampton you are met with a wheelchair. At Portsmouth you have to walk miles to check in, then through security, then onto a bus before anyone offers assistance. 

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

The terminal is not fine for me. When you book assistance at Southampton you are met with a wheelchair. At Portsmouth you have to walk miles to check in, then through security, then onto a bus before anyone offers assistance. 

Sorry, I meant the actual terminal building which has plenty of facilities, although there was rather a lot of walking through it. I thought I saw wheelchairs being used in it.

You do not walk “miles” to check in and wheelchairs and assistance was provided as you get out of your car. This misinformation puts people off. I’ve travelled many times from Southampton and the walk from check in is far further than at Portsmouth. I was there on the 28th April so my information is as upto date as it gets. I got on SOD which is still on its cruise.

• Host Hattie changed the title to Report from Spirit of Discovery 28th April
13 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I have moved the discussion of the previous cruise and the merits of Portsmouth to a new thread.

Where might we find this new thread, please?

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

This is it !

Ah, sorry.  Being a bit dim this morning!  Just thought the thread might mention Portsmouth in the title.

Which port is best is 100% geography. 

So the benefits of Dover vs Portsmouth depends where you live. Nevermind how nice Dover is another 4 hours in car outweigh any benefits 

The only meaningful discussion is Portsmouth vs Southampton. In my mind no buses,  Southampton wins. Yes it can be quite a walk in Southampton terminal to ship,  so less able walkers may disagree. 

But it's academic,  Saga is committed to Portsmouth 

I have to agree with host Sharon - In Portsmouth passengers with mobility issues have a long walk and bus ride before wheelchair assistance is given to get onto the ship. We were on the Adventure 2 weeks ago embarking in Portsmouth and disembarking in Dover. The assistance in Dover was from Ship to luggage hall or taxi if in a disabled cabin. In Portsmouth there was a considerable walk to check in and a further walk to the bus after which a wheelchair was available for my husband. There was a ramp available on the bus for passengers with Walkers. I queried this with Rebecca the guest services manager who confirmed wheelchair assistance is only available after the shuttle unless you are in a disabled cabin when you may request it when exiting the taxi.