"LIVE" New Guinea Island Encounter Cruise - X425 PO Explorer

On 5/31/2024 at 8:19 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

Conflict Island - Nice enough but I have done snorkelling off Cairns before and probably saw more.

Way too many people standing on the corals. Not sure how much longer it will last. Lines were so long I didn't buy anything except the kayak hire.

20240530_130638.thumb.jpg.d58ff4219319507777d0e61babfaf299.jpg20240530_121541.thumb.jpg.d2a6d530d40fc6cadf4cc68a5f4e59e9.jpg

Probably end up like Lifou, over loved and now have to pay to snorkel there.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:28 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

The Explorer is a bit tired, and I did notice that she's worn at the edges. But there were still some nicely kept areas amongst it.

The rooms are smaller than Encounter.  It was pretty squishy. 

We did fit our bags under the beds as we have duffle type bags with wheels.

Other friends couldn't.20240527_163314.thumb.jpg.340f5c3c63e05170d9bd30ceabd77bd1.jpg20240527_185305.thumb.jpg.cd3458ccab00bd1052ae0704644f258d.jpg20240527_150327.thumb.jpg.5cdf21e14b7309dca5201104dd7241da.jpg20240525_134425.thumb.jpg.3d593cc3e3454366801dc41c59ce9405.jpg20240526_230732.thumb.jpg.f4713bf91f3d774e3b721b386cd6d79b.jpg

20240529_162951.jpg

Wow,  that looks very shabby. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:18 PM, madnsneaky said:

Following with excitement, we leave for PNG on the 5th of June on the Encounter. Hoping to hear about any shore tours and anything else you would like to share. Great to hear about the speedy check in, although we will be leaving from Brisbane.

Safe travels.

On this trip also, was on the same trip last year and been through the Brisbane international terminal 4 times over the past 18 months and all times have been fantastic . 15 > 25 mins from dropping bags to walking uo gangway to ship.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Probably end up like Lifou, over loved and now have to pay to snorkel there.

There is a sensational spot, but you can only access it with a paid tour. It has been the same way since day dot. That is the only way to protect sensitive areas from being over-loved.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:15 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

The food is lacking compared to pre covid cruises but still I have enjoyed being cooked for and no washing up.

Little things I have noticed like eggs Benedict no longer included  at water front.

Dinner/ Lunch rotations are small, mostly the same items daily.

Angelos was ok. Not as nice as I remember but still decent.

I didn't use pantry, I get overwhelmed with the crowds.

Drink service  is hard, in terms of the long lines for anything really.

Hit and miss, some bars had table waiters but mostly  you had to leave your chair to order anything. 20240531_083835.thumb.jpg.15c5f22cc6bddabf2b10ef8bf199be40.jpg

Charging $10 for eggs benny is just taking the peas.

On 6/1/2024 at 4:51 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

So last night we got on around 11pm.

It must of not been so urgent in the end as the ambulance  staff wete not rushing so hopefully  that means they are stable.

Disembarkation was a nightmare for us. 

First we were told we could leave our bags on board but had to go through customs.

Then late last night they said no you have to put these tags on your bags and you cannot take them off yourselves. 

We got out of the room at 7:30am and off the ship as they called bag tag number 2.

Well 2 hours later our bags finally came off so we could go through  customs and then re do the whole check in.

We were not impressed!

Now off home  to Brisbane  on X426 one way 3 nights.

This is a hit & miss protocol provided by Border Force, and sometimes out of control of P&O. Maybe not, but I will give them benefit of doubt. For your 1st leg, it was on  O/S cruise. Your 2nd leg is domestic. Between those legs, you need to arrive through customs with an arrival card and all of your belongings as if you are leaving the ship. Reason being, is there would be no so scrutiny upon arrival in Brisbane at the end of your 2nd leg.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

There is a sensational spot, but you can only access it with a paid tour. It has been the same way since day dot. That is the only way to protect sensitive areas from being over-loved.

Used to be a free for all in the early 2000’s.  No shore tour, no payment, just walk up the hill and stay as long as you wish.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

In our first couple of visits to Lifou we didn't have to book a tour or pay an entry fee to snorkel. This was in the great area on the other side of the peninsula.🙂

7 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Used to be a free for all in the early 2000’s.  No shore tour, no payment, just walk up the hill and stay as long as you wish.

Yes, we've been there a couple of times.  The first time was before the ladder was installed and you had to pay.  I snorkelled, it was good but access was difficult. Getting out, there was a very steep step and I had to ask a random man behind me if he could give me a push to help me up. He said "with pleasure, I've been waiting all my life for an invitation to grab a woman's bottom" 😳. The second time was when you had to pay, we just went to the free wooden lookout platform and the water was calm with not a ripple anywhere, so we had a perfect crystal clear view of the fish and coral 🐠 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In our first couple of visits to Lifou we didn't have to book a tour or pay an entry fee to snorkel. This was in the great area on the other side of the peninsula.🙂

Jinek Bay? Same for us too, up till around 2010ish. Something about 500 people wearing generic sunscreen while snorkeling in the bay 4 to 5 times a week, contributed to it being trashed.

I was referring to Conflict Islands per the PNG live topic, that their snorkeling area will not become over-loved, as claimed. Unlike Lifou, they had taken steps to protect the pristine parts of their reef prior to the first ship arriving. There are plenty of areas that are semi-interesting that can be accessed freely, but these never were anything special. The best reef to snorkel/scuba at Conflict Island has only been available for a fee - initially by purchasing at the Island, but now via a "shore tour".

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

Jinek Bay? Same for us too, up till around 2010ish. Something about 500 people wearing generic sunscreen while snorkeling in the bay 4 to 5 times a week, contributed to it being trashed.

I was referring to Conflict Islands per the PNG live topic, that their snorkeling area will not become over-loved, as claimed. Unlike Lifou, they had taken steps to protect the pristine parts of their reef prior to the first ship arriving. There are plenty of areas that are semi-interesting that can be accessed freely, but these never were anything special. The best reef to snorkel/scuba at Conflict Island has only been available for a fee - initially by purchasing at the Island, but now via a "shore tour".

I misunderstood your post. Sorry. Yes - I was referring to Jinek Bay on Lifou.

On our first visit to Conflict Is I went on a paid Princess snorkelling tour. It went to a good area. Other people were just snorkelling off the beach, but that area didn't seem to be as interesting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I misunderstood your post. Sorry. Yes - I was referring to Jinek Bay on Lifou.

On our first visit to Conflict Is I went on a paid Princess snorkelling tour. It went to a good area. Other people were just snorkelling off the beach, but that area didn't seem to be as interesting.

It would be easy to misunderstand, considering my lack of detail.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, if you are a keen snorkeler, you need to go on the ship excursion to the pontoon between the two islands. It's on a steep dropoff, but the coral there is what you see in nature documentaries. Off the beach is pretty much a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1