Flynn Cruiseport Boston, Hotel Questions & the Emerald Princess

This will be our first time in Boston. Those of you who know the area can you please help? What is the best hotel to stay at near the cruiseport? We probably won’t be landing until the wee hours of the morning. We have no idea where to stay and really don’t even know if this is the correct Cruiseport. I looked on the travel summary, and it said that the port information was not available at this time. We need to purchase flights, but I am so confused at this point. Please help if you can. 

We can fly in the day before and land around 1:00 AM or we can fly nonstop and arrive the day of our cruise around 11:00 AM. What would you do? 

We are excited to cruise on the Emerald Princess. I know that she is older and I hope she is in good share, without a lot of plumbing and maintenance issues. Do those of you that love her have any tips or suggestions? What are your favorite areas? 

Thank you so much for your helpful replies.

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

This will be our first time in Boston. Those of you who know the area can you please help? What is the best hotel to stay at near the cruiseport? We probably won’t be landing until the wee hours of the morning. We have no idea where to stay and really don’t even know if this is the correct Cruiseport. I looked on the travel summary, and it said that the port information was not available at this time. We need to purchase flights, but I am so confused at this point. Please help if you can. 

We can fly in the day before and land around 1:00 AM or we can fly nonstop and arrive the day of our cruise around 11:00 AM. What would you do? 

We are excited to cruise on the Emerald Princess. I know that she is older and I hope she is in good share, without a lot of plumbing and maintenance issues. Do those of you that love her have any tips or suggestions? What are your favorite areas? 

Thank you so much for your helpful replies.

I would fly the day before.  The airport is across the bay from the cruise port.  There is an Embassy suites near the airport.  If not do a search of the hotels you like near the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

The Hampton Inn Boston Seaport is at the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal address is 1 Black Falcon Drive if you want to see how far a certain hotel is (walkability). As discussed above you may want to stay at the airport and just Uber over the next day. Nothing is cheap in Boston.

Always fly day before. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Do not fly in on the same day. It's a bad idea.

1 hour ago, slidemaster5 said:

As discussed above you may want to stay at the airport and just Uber over the next day. Nothing is cheap in Boston.

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, which is right at the airport. But I don't take an Uber for the next day, I just booked a water taxi, picking me up right next from the hotel. I thought a mini harbor cruise is much nicer than a tunnel drive.

Drop off is at Liberty Wharf, which means half a mile of walking to the cruise terminal.

But sometimes they even drop you off right next to the ship.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is only one cruise port in Boston, the Flynn Cruise port (though many refer to it as Black Falcon). The airport is very close to the port. Just a warning, don't expect to find a cheap hotel room, Boston is expensive. I for one would arrive the day before versus 1am the day of. You would still need a place to stay (you don't want to overnight at the airport, trust me). The question from me would be are you looking to be a tourist in the afternoon, or just looking for a place to put your head? Everything in Boston is close to each other so if you were to stay in town, a taxi/Uber the next day isn't an issue. Though the seaport area is getting bigger. 

The Emerald has a place in my heart, it's the ship I honeymooned on. While it's been a good number of years, I would hope the ship is still kept up properly.

• Thanks 1

"Just a warning, don't expect to find a cheap hotel room, Boston is expensive"

You're sure right about that. I'm looking for a Saturday night in August and am seeing a minimum of $250 after taxes and fees near the airport. The above mentioned Hampton Inn Seaport looks like it's $339 base price ending at $450 after taxes and fees. Pretty expensive for a three star eight hour flophouse! The Princess offering was >$500. Traveling solo, I even looked at a dormitory style hostel at Boston Common for $82, $95 after tax. Might've done that a few decades ago, but I suspect it might even be worse than hanging at the airport.

I think I'll wait until just before I board the plane, bite my tongue, and go with whoever wins the Hotwire/Priceline lottery.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:30 PM, walkingsoon said:

Use your hotel points just here. It pais.

On 5/26/2024 at 1:30 PM, walkingsoon said:

You're sure right about that. I'm looking for a Saturday night in August and am seeing a minimum of $250 after taxes and fees near the airport. The above mentioned Hampton Inn Seaport looks like it's $339 base price ending at $450 after taxes and fees. Pretty expensive for a three star eight hour flophouse! The Princess offering was >$500. Traveling solo, I even looked at a dormitory style hostel at Boston Common for $82, $95 after tax. Might've done that a few decades ago, but I suspect it might even be worse than hanging at the airport.

I think I'll wait until just before I board the plane, bite my tongue, and go with whoever wins the Hotwire/Priceline lottery.

How do you look for a hotel with Princess? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, slidemaster5 said:

The Hampton Inn Boston Seaport is at the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal address is 1 Black Falcon Drive if you want to see how far a certain hotel is (walkability). As discussed above you may want to stay at the airport and just Uber over the next day. Nothing is cheap in Boston.

Always fly day before. 

Have you stayed at the Hampton Inn Boston seaport? If so, is it nice and clean? Have you walked from the hotel to the cruise terminal? Just wondering because we will be pulling our luggage if we walk. Thank you so much. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

On 5/26/2024 at 11:15 AM, 1025cruise said:

There is only one cruise port in Boston, the Flynn Cruise port (though many refer to it as Black Falcon). The airport is very close to the port. Just a warning, don't expect to find a cheap hotel room, Boston is expensive. I for one would arrive the day before versus 1am the day of. You would still need a place to stay (you don't want to overnight at the airport, trust me). The question from me would be are you looking to be a tourist in the afternoon, or just looking for a place to put your head? Everything in Boston is close to each other so if you were to stay in town, a taxi/Uber the next day isn't an issue. Though the seaport area is getting bigger. 

The Emerald has a place in my heart, it's the ship I honeymooned on. While it's been a good number of years, I would hope the ship is still kept up properly.

Thank you. We are now looking for flights arriving the day before. Everything is sooo expensive. The hotels are crazy expensive! Have you stayed at the Hilton hotel at the airport or at the Hampton Inn Boston Seaport? 

What wonderful memories you have of the Emerald. 😊

18 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Have you stayed at the Hampton Inn Boston seaport? If so, is it nice and clean? Have you walked from the hotel to the cruise terminal? Just wondering because we will be pulling our luggage if we walk. Thank you so much. 

We are local so we just have someone drop us off. Boston doesn't gouge us. I have heard positive reviews about this hotel but have never stayed there.

Now we just booked a cruise departing from FLL so we will take our beating there for a hotel.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, walkingsoon said:

CVP

Mine is out of the office for a week. I called the person this morning hat usually covers her but I have not received a return call yet. I was wanting to book Princess air since if you are delayed for any reason they’re supposed to get you to the next port… or so their website says. 

What hotels did they offer? And how do you use their shuttle if you are at a hotel? Just wondering. Thanks!

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, slidemaster5 said:

We are local so we just have someone drop us off. Boston doesn't gouge us. I have heard positive reviews about this hotel but have never stayed there.

Now we just booked a cruise departing from FLL so we will take our beating there for a hotel.

When is your cruise out of FLL? Sun Princess? 

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

How do you look for a hotel with Princess? 

on the princess website, they don't seem to offer pre-cruise hotels in Boston

• Like 1

We will be doing a 7-night Canada/New England cruise on the Emerald in July. We are flying in from SoCal two days before embarkation day to enjoy Boston and so my DH can go visit his mother in Providence. We are staying at the Dagny Boston which is within walking distance of the touristy Boston things and then will Uber over to Flynn Cruise Port. I think we got the Dagny at $330/night, but I booked it 3 months ago because I started to stress about how expensive Boston is! 😵

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mom2griff said:

We will be doing a 7-night Canada/New England cruise on the Emerald in July. We are flying in from SoCal two days before embarkation day to enjoy Boston and so my DH can go visit his mother in Providence. We are staying at the Dagny Boston which is within walking distance of the touristy Boston things and then will Uber over to Flynn Cruise Port. I think we got the Dagny at $330/night, but I booked it 3 months ago because I started to stress about how expensive Boston is! 😵

It is crazy expensive there! Thank you, I will check that out. I hope you got a good price on your flight.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

9 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It is crazy expensive there! Thank you, I will check that out. I hope you got a good price on your flight.  Enjoy your cruise.

We booked our flights through Princess EZair. I occasionally check Expedia to see if there is anything cheaper, and the price through Princess has remained the best. Good luck to you and have a great cruise as well!

11 minutes ago, mom2griff said:

We booked our flights through Princess EZair. I occasionally check Expedia to see if there is anything cheaper, and the price through Princess has remained the best. Good luck to you and have a great cruise as well!

We also booked through Princess EZair. If the price drops after final payment will they adjust it? We are on the 17 day cruise to Greenland. This is our longest cruise ever! 

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We also booked through Princess EZair. If the price drops after final payment will they adjust it? We are on the 17 day cruise to Greenland. This is our longest cruise ever! 

That's a good question--I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think it's our responsibility to check flights to see if there is a less expensive one and then change them through the "manage your booking" link. Maybe someone with more experience can share their wisdom. 🙂 

That cruise sounds wonderful! I may have to check that out for the future...lol

• Like 1

Just now, mom2griff said:

That's a good question--I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think it's our responsibility to check flights to see if there is a less expensive one and then change them through the "manage your booking" link. Maybe someone with more experience can share their wisdom. 🙂 

Thank you for all of the info. I hope you have time to post while cruising. We are also sailing on the Emerald Princess. 

1 hour ago, mom2griff said:

The 17 day Greenland sailing in 2024 from/to Boston seems to be unique, there are no similar cruises listed for 2025. Only the Majestic serves Boston in summer 2025 with classic New England sailings so far.

• Like 1

If you are staying in Boston a few days here is something I have previously posted on a roll call for a late August Princess cruise:

Boston

In General

Climate/crowds: Labor Day weekend expect 75-80 degrees weather. Don't be surprised if it is humid since we do have hot humid summers here but usually cooler on the water. Boston is similar in size to Atlanta. Like other historical cities you will see modern buildings surrounding colonial era sites. The cruise terminal is at least two miles from downtown and other sites so you will want to Uber/Taxi unless you book an excursion.

Restaurants

I can only give generalities. Seafood is a specialty here but there is variety:

(1) If you are going to Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market located downtown you can try the little eateries in Faneuil Hall.

(2) The North End (Little Italy) area will have the best Italian restaurants. This area is about a 1/4 mile or so Northeast from downtown. 

(3) Chinatown will have various Asian cuisine (obviously).  This area is directly south of downtown (south of Essex Street).

(4) Newbury Street (see below) will have a large number of eateries mixed with the stores. This is in Back Bay which is west of downtown (west of Public Garden / Boston Commons).

Excursions

Can't opine much since I am not a Boston expert. The Red Sox are on the road so the full Fenway Park tour would be available. The Salem trip is going to take up the entire day and I would only recommend it if you really into that subject. Research to determine if you want to go on your own versus excursion. The HOHO trolley runs a good route, just remember that you may have to wait for a trolley with space on it so you may want to minimize your "hops". Also, remember to leave a time cushion to get a ride back unless you are able to run that two-mile or so journey to the port. 

Points of Interest

The Duck Boats are popular here as they are in other major cities. The ride is about 80 minutes. If you want to buy your own tickets you will have to monitor as the date approaches (I don't think you can book far in advance). 

Faneuil Hall (food) and Quincy Market (shops) are popular tourist attractions in downtown. Look at the website to see if it appeals to you. That area is a popular gathering spot, and you can walk Boston Commons (10 minutes away) and see other sights from there. 

If you like sports - the Fenway Park tour is available in the Back Bay area.

Shopping includes Copley Square and the nearby Newbury Street. Newbury Street is locally called "Rodeo Drive of the East". (We have been to Rodeo Drive, so I intend to compare on this visit). This is a one mile stretch of stores, boutiques, and eateries housed in historical brownstones in the Back Bay area.

The Freedom Trail runs a total of 2.5 miles and has 16 stops. Several of these stops are outside sites but many are historical buildings that you can visit. The Trail runs through Faneuil Hall (stop #9 going south to north) and the stops in this area (#1 to #8) are close together since they are in the historic downtown. The trail is marked by a red line or red brick in the middle of the sidewalk. 

Hope you all enjoy Boston. My wife and I plan to Uber to the west side of Newbury Street and sightsee. We have been to Copley Square often but never walked Newbury Street.

• Thanks 1