cabin reviews to avoid noise

Can anyone recommend where I should search to try to read cabin reviews if I am trying to avoid specific noisy cabins?  I'm traveling with kids and read that some ships have some cabins that have noise on this forum so I was wondering if there was a site I could use to see if the cabins I am considering are usually quiet.  Thanks so much.

Cabin reviews right here on CC if you look for your specific ship, both Editor and passenger reviews.

Best and obvious advice is to use the ships deck plans and pick one that has cabin decks above and below and on both sides. Avoid anything below lido/pool decks, MDR and Buffets and the large white areas, which could  be kitchens, crew areas and anything under or above a bar/nighclub. 

Personally I find cabin decks at the aft the quietest, away from lift with little footfall.

Maybe if a cabin is excessively noisy, a reviewer will mention it. But I don't think you will normally read that a cabin is quiet.

I would go by the previous post and just make sure there are cabins both above and below the one you choose.

5 hours ago, newcruisehi said:

Can anyone recommend where I should search to try to read cabin reviews if I am trying to avoid specific noisy cabins?  I'm traveling with kids and read that some ships have some cabins that have noise on this forum so I was wondering if there was a site I could use to see if the cabins I am considering are usually quiet.  Thanks so much.

Follow @suech1970's advice. That's about the best you can do. Any cabin can be noisy if you have noisy neighbors. No different than any hotel/motel anywhere in the world. 

Maybe counterintuitive for you, we avoid family rooms and rooms anywhere near the kids club.... just because there will be a higher density of kids around there. And kids are a source of noise. And families that encourage their kids to "have fun" in the privacy of their room will disturb rooms left, right, up, and down from them. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

As others have said, you can avoid noise by choosing strategic locations.

However, you may still have noise of another kind if you choose a balcony cabin on the Prima.

Our cabin, as well as many others that have been reported on CC, had a constant loud rattling of the wall containing the balcony door. It seems to be a congenital problem with that generation of ship, as I've also read reports of this phenomenon on the Viva, as well.

Edited by schmoopie17

Posted (edited)

Yes check reviews for specific ships.  For example we'll be sailing on the Star next year and thought we had booked an aft cabin with nice wraparound balcony on Deck 8.  The nightclub is one deck lower aft and the noise is reported to be very loud until lounge closes.  I rebookded to deck 10 aft.

Edited by davencl

Also look for inside cabins across from your room assuming you have an outside cabin vs a door the crew uses some people have mentioned banging noise coming from those doors.

Aft can be hit or miss.  We've sailed aft before and you can get shudder from props while sailing or shimmy from side thrusters or pods when docking.  Some have aft theater or club.

Best to list which ship.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, zqvol said:

The only place to really avoid is over or under the theater 

Nope. There are plenty of places to avoid. I was under the hot tub in the spa once. It was awful because they drained and refilled it every night.

I was above the Local on the Star. Seems fine. In reality they held Karaoke there every second night. It was awful since it isn’t even good singing (most of the time.)

On our first cruise we stayed in a cabin  under the pool deck on the Pride of America. The scraping of the deck chairs being set up woke us up every morning. It was awful.

Edited by YVRteacher

8 hours ago, zqvol said:

The only place to really avoid is over or under the theater 

I got off the Joy a couple of weeks ago.  My cabin was under the theater.  The only time I heard anything was the final night when I went back to my cabin early (around 9pm) to pack.  And the noise wasn’t even that bad.  

If it is Prima, never noticed any issues with movement aft although we were pretty high up on 12.  We did spend a fair amount of time in lower decks and no issue.

We sailed when just out and noticed lots of creaking in the room even in fairly calm seas, thought it was very odd for that much creak vs any other ship we've been on.  Then more reports started coming.  Didn't affect sleeping.