New to MSC in Europe

Reds4life

Hello,

We are leaving June 13 for a 9 Night cruise from Istanbul. We're experienced MSC cruisers in North America but wanted to see what some differences were in Europe and get some questions answered ahead of time. Thanks in advance!

1. It says we get free mineral water and coffee. On North American sailings it has been coffee, iced tea, lemonade, sometimes vitamin water and in the morning juice. How is this different in Europe? Is mineral water bottled water?

2. I know MSC is usually a little more dressy for the MDR. I usually wear dress pants with a polo or button up dress shirt and the girls wear dresses. Is this acceptable?

3. Do they still have the Fun Pass on Splendida? Years ago we bought one for the whole cabin on Divina and one at a discount rate on Seaside I think. What is the rate and what does it include?

4. Any recent menus from MSC Europe? I heard they are different from the US based cruises. We are looking forward to trying new things but do they always have steak available in Europe or at least a beef dish? Sorry but we are pretty American like that lol. 

5. Our Embarkation time is 1pm but my wife is Diamond and we get priority boarding and want to get on as soon as possible. What is the earliest time we can board? 

I haven’t sailed MSC in Europe, but I can answer one of your questions.  Water.  In Europe it is not standard to offer water with MDR meals.  But since it is expected by Americans and Brits, MSC gives and included water package…not sure it is only for meals.  I believe it is bottles, and may be room temperature.  EM

2 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Hello,

We are leaving June 13 for a 9 Night cruise from Istanbul. We're experienced MSC cruisers in North America but wanted to see what some differences were in Europe and get some questions answered ahead of time. Thanks in advance!

1. It says we get free mineral water and coffee. On North American sailings it has been coffee, iced tea, lemonade, sometimes vitamin water and in the morning juice. How is this different in Europe? Is mineral water bottled water?

2. I know MSC is usually a little more dressy for the MDR. I usually wear dress pants with a polo or button up dress shirt and the girls wear dresses. Is this acceptable?

3. Do they still have the Fun Pass on Splendida? Years ago we bought one for the whole cabin on Divina and one at a discount rate on Seaside I think. What is the rate and what does it include?

4. Any recent menus from MSC Europe? I heard they are different from the US based cruises. We are looking forward to trying new things but do they always have steak available in Europe or at least a beef dish? Sorry but we are pretty American like that lol. 

5. Our Embarkation time is 1pm but my wife is Diamond and we get priority boarding and want to get on as soon as possible. What is the earliest time we can board? 

Embarkation time is not strictly followed, even without Diamond status.

Remember your cruise will have people embarking in Estambul, in Trieste and in Bari (and not sure if in Athens too), so 1/3 people embarking in each port will make it easier.

Bottled water is always available and you can ask for it. Just remember it is a real trend (that surely you will see in restaurants on ports you will visit more than in the ship) to have non-bottled water in tables . Some countries request all restaurants to offer free non-bottled water just to reduce plastic waste.

About menus, I do not know about Splendida but I have menus for other ships in Mediterranean.

Some "meal rules"

- 4 (or more) starters and 6 (or more) main dishes

- T-bone steak available by 22€

- extra main dishes have no charges

about starters

- one based on seafood or fish

- one salad. Hint... Caesar salad may be on the menu one night... but not every night. There are thousand of different salads in the Mediterranean countries. Caesar is only for one night

about entrees

- one pasta

- one based on rice

- one fish

- two meats. There are some beef filet mignon days and some porc filet mignon  days. T-bone steak is available only on demand and 22€

- one vegetarian

about deserts

- every night, Cheese carousel

- at least three more deserts 

- plus several ice creams

There could be a "Mediterranean night".

In another ship, pasta was Lasagna, Rice was Spanish paella, Fish was a Mediterranean fish and seafood plate, two more meals based on meat and veggie dish was Hummus

Just remember food could be different. You are moving to another continent (to other continents, indeed, you are going to be in Asia and Europe and very near to Africa).

For instance, do not expect to have a NY cheesecake but you will have other cakes. Not better, nor worse than cheesecake. Just different and based on desert which are very popular in their countries

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Embarkation time is not strictly followed, even without Diamond status.

Remember your cruise will have people embarking in Estambul, in Trieste and in Bari (and not sure if in Athens too), so 1/3 people embarking in each port will make it easier.

Bottled water is always available and you can ask for it. Just remember it is a real trend (that surely you will see in restaurants on ports you will visit more than in the ship) to have non-bottled water in tables . Some countries request all restaurants to offer free non-bottled water just to reduce plastic waste.

About menus, I do not know about Splendida but I have menus for other ships in Mediterranean.

Some "meal rules"

- 4 (or more) starters and 6 (or more) main dishes

- T-bone steak available by 22€

- extra main dishes have no charges

about starters

- one based on seafood or fish

- one salad. Hint... Caesar salad may be on the menu one night... but not every night. There are thousand of different salads in the Mediterranean countries. Caesar is only for one night

about entrees

- one pasta

- one based on rice

- one fish

- two meats. There are some beef filet mignon days and some porc filet mignon  days. T-bone steak is available only on demand and 22€

- one vegetarian

about deserts

- every night, Cheese carousel

- at least three more deserts 

- plus several ice creams

There could be a "Mediterranean night".

In another ship, pasta was Lasagna, Rice was Spanish paella, Fish was a Mediterranean fish and seafood plate, two more meals based on meat and veggie dish was Hummus

Just remember food could be different. You are moving to another continent (to other continents, indeed, you are going to be in Asia and Europe and very near to Africa).

For instance, do not expect to have a NY cheesecake but you will have other cakes. Not better, nor worse than cheesecake. Just different and based on desert which are very popular in their countries

Thanks so much for the information! So I guess no "always available " NY Strip? Did you post the menus you have somewhere? I would love to check them out. I'm sure we will be fine and eat way too much either way

I think there were a couple of Live From threads recently.  @Stockjockdid one on World Europa, and I believe someone did one on Euribia.  They usually post the menus as well as other pics.  EM

To answer No 2, yes, smart pants and a shirt will be fine, as will nice dresses for the girls.

The Diamond priority boarding relates to your check in after arrival at the port not priority embarkation time. That said, they're relaxed about boarding times and I'm not sure anyone checks these days. 

I think the free mineral water is a bottle with meals in the MDR, I've read that's the UK version, anyway.

10 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Thanks so much for the information! So I guess no "always available " NY Strip? Did you post the menus you have somewhere? I would love to check them out. I'm sure we will be fine and eat way too much either way

On dinners I have seen always available ... vegetable soup, several pasta with several sauces and side dishes only.

And T-bone steak paying 22€ extra

But I think there's enough variety.

Pasta will have everyday a different sauce, rice, a different style, veggie dish is not a salad only (for instance Tuscany style beans stew, or hummus, or....)

A lot of dishes are based on Italian kitchen, most of other ones on other Mediterranean countries. It could be an opportunity to know more about other foods. Just remember you are traveling far from home, another culture(s), languages, people.... and food

I could try to share these menus but.... they aren't in English

2 hours ago, alserrod said:

On dinners I have seen always available ... vegetable soup, several pasta with several sauces and side dishes only.

And T-bone steak paying 22€ extra

But I think there's enough variety.

Pasta will have everyday a different sauce, rice, a different style, veggie dish is not a salad only (for instance Tuscany style beans stew, or hummus, or....)

A lot of dishes are based on Italian kitchen, most of other ones on other Mediterranean countries. It could be an opportunity to know more about other foods. Just remember you are traveling far from home, another culture(s), languages, people.... and food

I could try to share these menus but.... they aren't in English

My wife is always talking about trying a "Mediterranean Diet" so she will get the real thing sounds like! It should be a good experience for us. Thanks to all for the information 

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

To answer No 2, yes, smart pants and a shirt will be fine, as will nice dresses for the girls.

The Diamond priority boarding relates to your check in after arrival at the port not priority embarkation time. That said, they're relaxed about boarding times and I'm not sure anyone checks these days. 

I think the free mineral water is a bottle with meals in the MDR, I've read that's the UK version, anyway.

Thanks for the information. Glad the dress will be adequate. Packing for our trip will be minimal with multiple flights so it is good to hear. 

13 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Well.... I am sure if I just write here some plate names it will say nothing so I have translated (via google) and have searched some pictures.

There's one "Mediterranean night" in Mediterranean cruises (obviosly do not expect to find a Tropical night or a Caribbean night but a Med-night)

This is Mediterranean night menu. 

You will not find a steak but you will have roasted lamb.

You will not find Caesar salad but you will have Greek salad

You will not find Cheesecake but you will find tiramisu.

Half of dishes come from Italy but there's Greek, Spanish, French, Turkish and Arabic presence here.

It is not easy to choose at all.... but just remember extra dishes are free (even second entree is free in Mediterranean cruises)

Hint... this was inside a menu in a 7 days western Mediterranean. I am not sure about Eastern Mediterranean.... but you can find which kind of style you will have.

Obviously there's an additional Gala night and other casual nights.

STARTERS

1 Italian style fried squid and shrimp  (They say Italian style.... it is anywhere in Mediterranean style)

Plato de Calamares Fritos crujientes, langostinos, tomate y salsa y  croqueta de pollo Fotografía de stock - Alamy

2 Cured beef bresaola  (Origin: Italy; Italian Alps indeed)

It is like "ham" but coming from a beef instead of a pig. In Spain there's something called "cecina"

Bresaola

3 Spanakopita  (Origin: Greece)

Authentic Greek Spinach and Feta Pie - Spanakopita

4- Greek salad (origin.... obviously Greece)

Ensalada Griega (receta tradicional FÁCIL)

5- Bouillabaisse  (origin, France. Marseille indeed)

It is a fish soup. There are other typical fish soups in Italy, Portugal, Spain which are quite similar to this one

Seafood Bouillabaisse Recipe

6 Gazpacho andaluz  (Origin: Spain, south Spain indeed)

It is VERY easy and VERY cheap to make it. If someone wanna try, just write me!!

Gazpacho

MAIN DISHES

1 Lasagne Bolognese  (origin: Italy, Bologna indeed)

This is the pasta based main dish

1540173608d89af34da1df1ea3e65f5e7ffcf8c4

2 Seafood paella (Origin: Spain, Valencia indeed)

This is the rice based main dish

Paella de marisco tradicional

3 Mediterranen grill of fish and seafood (origin, this food anywhere in the world, this style anywhere in the Mediterranean)

This is the fish based main dish. Meny sais it will have swordfish, cuttlefish and prawns

I searched a random pic

depositphotos_291992246-stock-photo-euro

4 Roasted lamb shoulder  (origin, Morocco. It could be anywhere, but they say it will have a Moroccan style in sauces)

This is one meat main dish

Paletilla de cordero al horno con patatas panadera

5 Beef ossobuco in gremolata sauce  (Origin: Italy, Milano indeed)

This is the other meat main dish to choose

Ossobuco a la milanesa con gremolata, receta en Crock-Pot

6 Chickpea hummus and eggplant baba ganush  (Origin: any Arab country)

Vegetarian main dish

Baba Ganoush o Mutabal (Receta Hummus de Berenjenas)

and DESERTS

1- Cheese selection (anywhere but mainly France)

Does French cheese need a presentation???

2- Tiramisu  (origin: Italy, Veneto region indeed)

Receta y trucos para elaborar un buen tiramisú: fácil, sabroso y muy jugoso

3- Baklava  (origen: Turkey. It is very typical in all Arabic countries but it comes from Turkey)

Pasteles árabes Baklava Rolls

4- Pineapple and mint salad

5- Ice cream

6- Fruit salad

11 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Well.... I am sure if I just write here some plate names it will say nothing so I have translated (via google) and have searched some pictures.

There's one "Mediterranean night" in Mediterranean cruises (obviosly do not expect to find a Tropical night or a Caribbean night but a Med-night)

This is Mediterranean night menu. 

You will not find a steak but you will have roasted lamb.

You will not find Caesar salad but you will have Greek salad

You will not find Cheesecake but you will find tiramisu.

Half of dishes come from Italy but there's Greek, Spanish, French, Turkish and Arabic presence here.

It is not easy to choose at all.... but just remember extra dishes are free (even second entree is free in Mediterranean cruises)

Hint... this was inside a menu in a 7 days western Mediterranean. I am not sure about Eastern Mediterranean.... but you can find which kind of style you will have.

Obviously there's an additional Gala night and other casual nights.

STARTERS

1 Italian style fried squid and shrimp  (They say Italian style.... it is anywhere in Mediterranean style)

Plato de Calamares Fritos crujientes, langostinos, tomate y salsa y  croqueta de pollo Fotografía de stock - Alamy

2 Cured beef bresaola  (Origin: Italy; Italian Alps indeed)

It is like "ham" but coming from a beef instead of a pig. In Spain there's something called "cecina"

Bresaola

3 Spanakopita  (Origin: Greece)

Authentic Greek Spinach and Feta Pie - Spanakopita

4- Greek salad (origin.... obviously Greece)

Ensalada Griega (receta tradicional FÁCIL)

5- Bouillabaisse  (origin, France. Marseille indeed)

It is a fish soup. There are other typical fish soups in Italy, Portugal, Spain which are quite similar to this one

Seafood Bouillabaisse Recipe

6 Gazpacho andaluz  (Origin: Spain, south Spain indeed)

It is VERY easy and VERY cheap to make it. If someone wanna try, just write me!!

Gazpacho

MAIN DISHES

1 Lasagne Bolognese  (origin: Italy, Bologna indeed)

This is the pasta based main dish

1540173608d89af34da1df1ea3e65f5e7ffcf8c4

2 Seafood paella (Origin: Spain, Valencia indeed)

This is the rice based main dish

Paella de marisco tradicional

3 Mediterranen grill of fish and seafood (origin, this food anywhere in the world, this style anywhere in the Mediterranean)

This is the fish based main dish. Meny sais it will have swordfish, cuttlefish and prawns

I searched a random pic

depositphotos_291992246-stock-photo-euro

4 Roasted lamb shoulder  (origin, Morocco. It could be anywhere, but they say it will have a Moroccan style in sauces)

This is one meat main dish

Paletilla de cordero al horno con patatas panadera

5 Beef ossobuco in gremolata sauce  (Origin: Italy, Milano indeed)

This is the other meat main dish to choose

Ossobuco a la milanesa con gremolata, receta en Crock-Pot

6 Chickpea hummus and eggplant baba ganush  (Origin: any Arab country)

Vegetarian main dish

Baba Ganoush o Mutabal (Receta Hummus de Berenjenas)

and DESERTS

1- Cheese selection (anywhere but mainly France)

Does French cheese need a presentation???

2- Tiramisu  (origin: Italy, Veneto region indeed)

Receta y trucos para elaborar un buen tiramisú: fácil, sabroso y muy jugoso

3- Baklava  (origen: Turkey. It is very typical in all Arabic countries but it comes from Turkey)

Pasteles árabes Baklava Rolls

4- Pineapple and mint salad

5- Ice cream

6- Fruit salad

That all looks amazing to me! I love seafood though. Is there a generic always available chicken breast or something?

2 hours ago, Reds4life said:

That all looks amazing to me! I love seafood though. Is there a generic always available chicken breast or something?

From what I have seen, always available is for pasta in different styles, vegetable soup and really few extra things

Well... chicken breast will be available on kids menu so ask for it (and ask two dishes, no problem)

Important to know.... it is multiembarking. You will hear safety instructions several days as well as instructions for people who disembark (if you go on an excursion you will forget them)

it is multilanguage. Less announces but in six languages (ordered by number of speakers on board)

People focus more visiting some cities than staying on board

Great food pictures and all fantastic flavourful dishes, A quick observation - as an occasional visitor to Marseille (France), the locals would say with some emphasis that Bouillabaisse is way more than a "fish soup"! 

Just now, NewWestwardbound said:

Great food pictures and all fantastic flavourful dishes, A quick observation - as an occasional visitor to Marseille (France), the locals would say with some emphasis that Bouillabaisse is way more than a "fish soup"! 

Surely, but I wanted to explain it in a couple of words

Posted (edited)

Any links to the menus from previous sailings? I don't really see them when I search for the live threads

One of my daughters is pretty concerned about no steak or grilled chicken. They all like pizza though lol. 

Edited by Reds4life

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Surely, but I wanted to explain it in a couple of words

If you can supply the pictures of the menus even in a different language that would be much appreciated. I don't mind translating them at all. I find that interesting lol

30 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

If you can supply the pictures of the menus even in a different language that would be much appreciated. I don't mind translating them at all. I find that interesting lol

Hi

Here you are attached

If you select text and you scroll, you can copy-paste and translate

Seaview Cena D4.pdf

I found some YouTube videos and it looks like the "Always Available" section tends to vary somewhat. Is this just random or seasonal? One video has Chicken Breast and Steak Tagliata as always available. Another had Steak Palliard. Like I mentioned, my daughter looks forward to a steak every day if she can and I am trying to either give her piece of mind or break the bad news lol. Man, this is tough in Europe. Just not much information available. 

5 hours ago, Reds4life said:

I found some YouTube videos and it looks like the "Always Available" section tends to vary somewhat. Is this just random or seasonal? One video has Chicken Breast and Steak Tagliata as always available. Another had Steak Palliard. Like I mentioned, my daughter looks forward to a steak every day if she can and I am trying to either give her piece of mind or break the bad news lol. Man, this is tough in Europe. Just not much information available. 

Hi

Remember people who sails in Mediterranean, even being the same shipping company and the same voyageur, do not consider ship as destination but ports of call as destination.

You will find a lot of information about these ports. People who choose these cruises focus in which ports are going to be visited.

Some of them are holiday destination for one week for a lot of tourist. I would focus more on ports rather than on the MDR.