Noise from elevator

nightime

I just saw a video and it seems the elevators make a dinging sound when they open.  If you are staying  in a room right by them, will you hear it?

Yes!  I heard it constantly when in the room, although we were on deck 8 and there aren’t  very many cabins up there, so fewer people coming and going.  I would say we heard singing as late as 2 am and as early as 5 am. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes!  I heard it constantly when in the room, although we were on deck 8 and there aren’t  very many cabins up there, so fewer people coming and going.  I would say we heard singing as late as 2 am and as early as 5 am. 

Yes.  We were recently on 7 close to the elevator and we could hear it.  It's a great location for the Explorer's Lounge, World Cafe, etc.  But it was a little too busy for us -- especially when everyone was coming and going to see the Northern Lights at 2 a.m. lol.

We stayed in an aft room before and we have booked the same location for our next 3 cruises.  Further away, but it's quieter and the scenery is very nice.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

we heard singing as late as 2 am and as early as 5 am. 

I meant dinging.  Geez, if we heard singing I would have been pounding on Guest Service’s door, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I meant dinging.  Geez, if we heard singing I would have been pounding on Guest Service’s door, lol.  

LOL, I was wondering about that, 'singing'.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe I should add, people did meet by the elevators and talk. I did hear that, but not really during my normal sleep schedule.  If you go to bed really early or sleep in late then I can see how that might be a factor in your cabin location decision.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Thanks 1

We were in 4027, so just like 3 doors down from the open area to the elevators, never heard them once. I definitely heard people at other times though, and sometimes, I couldn't figure out what they were dragging through the halls. There were definitely some loud times in the halls, but never from the elevators for us.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We were once in a room by the elevators and it was a nightmare. Every night a group of people would meet up and sing songs. One night someone brought their guitar along, which was bad enough, but I finally had to call guest services when they rolled out the grand piano.

actually we have roomed by the elevators (we call them lifts) many times and haven’t heard anything

Edited by shipboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Recently did the British Isles Explorer cruise in cabin 3036 which is right at the elevators.  We never heard a sound from the elevators.  One night our neighbors played their TV a little loud and we heard that, but never a sound from the elevators.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are curtain 5028 right opposite elevators.  Don’t hear ANY elevator noise.   I was worried.  Occasionally you can hear voices of a group is waiting to take the elevator but that’s really only like at 8 am or later as they go to breakfast or excursions.  No beeps though.  

• Thanks 1

We have been close and right across and never bothered us at all.

Looks like this is a mixed bag of YES, and NO.

Think that it may come down to your sensitivity for sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 5:49 AM, CDNPolar said:

We have been close and right across and never bothered us at all.

Looks like this is a mixed bag of YES, and NO.

Think that it may come down to your sensitivity for sound.

That was exactly what I was thinking.  Bucky pulls his hearing aids out (and really can't hear that well with them in!) and then becomes totally deaf....but he swears I can hear "ants fart".   🤭 

Thus I am a bit worried about one of our cruises with our deck 7 cabin location next to the elevator.  Maybe time for ear plugs if so.  😮 

• Thanks 1

We are currently in 7016 on Neptune, right next to the elevators, I am very sensitive to noise, but have not had any issues. For me, it’s no worse than any of the other locations we’ve had, further from the elevators on other cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CannyScotTor said:

We are currently in 7016 on Neptune, right next to the elevators, I am very sensitive to noise, but have not had any issues. For me, it’s no worse than any of the other locations we’ve had, further from the elevators on other cruises.

Perfect...thanks so much!!   That is the cabin we have on Venus.  Happy to hear you were fine with it.  🙂  

On 5/30/2024 at 1:47 PM, nightime said:

I just saw a video and it seems the elevators make a dinging sound when they open.  If you are staying  in a room right by them, will you hear it?

While it doesn't remedy "spirited" singers late at night, I always play an ocean soundtrack at night on my iPhone, on loop, and it helps to filter out most, but not all, sounds during the night. It started as a way to calm a puppy years ago, but now I find that I almost can't sleep without it. That, combined with a sleep mask, works for me really well.

We've had a stateroom just across from the laundry room, and never had a problem--so much that we try to get the same stateroom location when we book cruises (my wife enjoys doing laundry).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/30/2024 at 11:47 AM, nightime said:

Interesting varied answers on this.  I'm more inclined to stay away from elevator lobby for the same reason as mentioned on another thread same topic.  I don't want to open my door and look straight into the elevator lobby with people standing there.  

You may know this, but if you don't like the cabin location but no other choice, you can take it and there is good change you can change it with persistence.  We have 2 cruises booked,  didn't like choices but took best could get.  Then, cancellations get back into the inventory. Spent weeks going into "price and build" everyday, if not twice a day,  until I was able to switch.  As soon asI saw something better pop up I called Viking and changed.  Actually on one cruise I have done twice, first from port to starboard, and then to our preferred Deck 3.  Fun, like playing Cabin Bingo I guess.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always book a room near the forward elevators.  My DH prefers not being right in that space but only because folks can see into our room when we open our door.  We have been in 4030 and not heard anything from the elevators.  Deck 4 is only statetooms and due to that, is a less busy floor generally then Deck 7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Interesting varied answers on this.  I'm more inclined to stay away from elevator lobby for the same reason as mentioned on another thread same topic.  I don't want to open my door and look straight into the elevator lobby with people standing there.  

You may know this, but if you don't like the cabin location but no other choice, you can take it and there is good change you can change it with persistence.  We have 2 cruises booked,  didn't like choices but took best could get.  Then, cancellations get back into the inventory. Spent weeks going into "price and build" everyday, if not twice a day,  until I was able to switch.  As soon asI saw something better pop up I called Viking and changed.  Actually on one cruise I have done twice, first from port to starboard, and then to our preferred Deck 3.  Fun, like playing Cabin Bingo I guess.   

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

We always book a room near the forward elevators.  My DH prefers not being right in that space but only because folks can see into our room when we open our door.  We have been in 4030 and not heard anything from the elevators.  Deck 4 is only statetooms and due to that, is a less busy floor generally then Deck 7.

Thanks Tayana. It was your post I was thinking of when  talking about our reason for not being across from elevator lobby. I’m with your hubby. We also like a few cabins back from forward elevators on 3. We like quick exit to promenade deck and close to Explorers. Deck 3 has a different vibe, quieter than decks with all cabins. I also have motion sickness issues sometimes so best to be low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Thanks Tayana. It was your post I was thinking of when  talking about our reason for not being across from elevator lobby. I’m with your hubby. We also like a few cabins back from forward elevators on 3. We like quick exit to promenade deck and close to Explorers. Deck 3 has a different vibe, quieter than decks with all cabins. I also have motion sickness issues sometimes so best to be low. 

for those who don’t mind deck 5….

It is little known that the forward elevator lobby as NO rooms opening onto the lobby.  We are in 5028.  Both it and 5030 (along with the starboard 5031 and 5029) have doors that face the wall.  Despite the Viking deck plan diagram which wrongly shows them facing the elevator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, island lady said:

Maybe time for ear plugs if so.  😮 

I always travel with ear plugs, but I cannot wear the ones that are foam cone like ones... they don't fit, they don't block sound for me, and they fall out.

I wear silicone ones that form to the ear and for me they are a game changer.  I keep the smaller container by the bed and if needed, I put them in.  They also block snoring sound - for me.

These do NOT work for me:

image.png.cdb8678275b53e714f5ee4fedc23c80d.png

These are a game changer for me:

image.thumb.png.0b09306fe53a12da4ec8f818df88ca5b.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

for those who don’t mind deck 5….

It is little known that the forward elevator lobby as NO rooms opening onto the lobby.  We are in 5028.  Both it and 5030 (along with the starboard 5031 and 5029) have doors that face the wall.  Despite the Viking deck plan diagram which wrongly shows them facing the elevator.

So them what is along the walls by the elevator lobby?  The Viking deck plan shows 5028, 5030, 5029 & 5031 opening into the elevator space.  We were in 4030 and it opened to the lobby.

15 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We had 3046 for our last cruise and loved it.  First time on Deck 3.  It was close to the laundry for my pre-dawn sprint in robe to throw in a load.  Plus we always knew what was fore and aft.  If all we saw stepping out the door were cabins then that was the direction of the forward elevators.  If we saw the atrium tables then that was the direction to aft elevators.

45 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

So them what is along the walls by the elevator lobby?  The Viking deck plan shows 5028, 5030, 5029 & 5031 opening into the elevator space.  We were in 4030 and it opened to the lobby.

Yes, fourth floor rooms open into the elevator space but the 5th floor rooms do not.

The Viking Deck plan is wrong - we are in 5028 as we speak!  No issues whatsoever.  We go out the door, go about 5 feet down the corridor and then into the elevator/stair lobby.  I'll have to take a picture.  We had been worried, but are relieved the deck plan map is inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, fourth floor rooms open into the elevator space but the 5th floor rooms do not.

The Viking Deck plan is wrong - we are in 5028 as we speak!  No issues whatsoever.  We go out the door, go about 5 feet down the corridor and then into the elevator/stair lobby.  I'll have to take a picture.  We had been worried, but are relieved the deck plan map is inaccurate.

I believe you.  But what is in that space if not doors to staterooms?  Or are you saying that the room numbers that look like they open to the elevators on the floor plan are actually 5 feet away and other room numbers are located in that space.