Arvia Delayed Boarding on Sunday

Waju

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Just confirming, you did book direct?

We've  had the email and we booked through an agent.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yes I did book direct  and have had lots of emails from P&O about this cruise. But nothing about delayed boarding. 

@Breezy5631 see you at 11.15 on Sunday, fingers crossed we aren't sat around for 3 hours

I phoned them up. Definitely delayed, new arrival time 14:15. 

8 minutes ago, Breezy5631 said:

I phoned them up. Definitely delayed, new arrival time 14:15. 

Thanks. Our new time is 14:30 then. I hope everyone adheres to their new times. 

That happened when boarding Aurora in April. Some did receive the email and some didn't. We wondered if I wa something to do with opting out of certain categories of email (marketing for example).

20 hours ago, Fraann said:

We are also on this cruise. Anyone know if the peninsular lunch will go ahead or be cancelled?

We had delayed boarding on Arcadia a couple of months ago.  They had the Peninsular lunch on a sea day later in the cruise. 

On the plus side we didn't have a recurrence of infection during our trip. 

On 6/7/2024 at 10:31 AM, Balaena said:

Currently norovirus onboard, my nephew along with many others have been confined to their cabin. Prior to embarking on the 26th May they were also informed to arrive 3 hours later. So much for cleaning the ship before you join.

Well they do their best, it is a hard day for the crew too with not as many allowed ashore. But passengers still bring the illness onboard and it passes onto others quickly.

• Like 2

Anyone driving down on Sunday beware. A34 South is closed partway down (sorry not familiar with area) so sizeable detour in place.

Check your route and allow extra time. Glad we came down today. With the long detour, long 50 zones and a couple of slow areas it took 7 hours from Sheffield with one 30 min stop to get to Eastleigh where we are stopping overnight.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sawdan said:

Anyone driving down on Sunday beware. A34 South is closed partway down (sorry not familiar with area) so sizeable detour in place.

Check your route and allow extra time. Glad we came down today. With the long detour, long 50 zones and a couple of slow areas it took 7 hours from Sheffield with one 30 min stop to get to Eastleigh where we are stopping overnight.

Didcot to Winterbourne?

9 hours ago, maz48 said:

Well they do their best, it is a hard day for the crew too with not as many allowed ashore. But passengers still bring the illness onboard and it passes onto others quickly.

Maybe some of the crew may have it  and if so the 'clean' will not be much help.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Funboy said:

Maybe some of the crew may have it  and if so the 'clean' will not be much help.

A deep clean should include the whole of the ship, not just passenger areas. If members of the crew have Noro then short of quarantine for them for 48 to 72 hours not sure what else cruise lines could do to eradicate the virus onboard. 

When I was working the rules where if you went down with Norovirus or gastrointestinal virus is that you stayed off work for 72 hours after the symptoms have passed. 

Halfway through our 12th - 26th May trip on Arvia we were advised that enhanced cleaning procedures were in place due to a 'small number' of guests being ill. The N word was not mentioned, just assumed.

The procedures were not as keenly applied as they were on Britannia a few years ago, when we had to be served in Horizon, including drinks, and the staff were more actively cleaning tables.

There were some cleaners wandering around with backpack sprays waving them around, but table cleaning was poor. 

The salt and pepper was still on the tables, although we never used it. The design of the salt cellars is almost impossible to clean, I would have thought a plain smooth design would have been preferable.

The stainless steel tongs have been replaced by rubberised ones, I would imagine they are far less hygienic than steel.

It would appear that, since there were no 'special procedures' in place on boarding that it was someone on our cruise that brought it on board? It wasn't us!

Posted (edited)

Just got off Arvia this morning (9th June).

Embarkation was theoretically delayed by two hours for a deep clean a fortnight ago, but when I arrived an hour after my original 12:15 time preparing to wait another hour the embarkation had clearly been underway for some time and we were just ushered straight on, so perhaps they finished the deep clean earlier than expected...

Anyway the deep clean didn't work and a few days into the voyage the menu cards in the bars vanished, the menu covers in the restaurants disappeared, there were cards to the cabin with vague mentions of hand hygiene, and a single similar announcement from the captain about sanitising your hands on boarding from ports and pressing the lift buttons with knuckles.

Although there seemed to be a slight uptick in cleaning in the public areas, it did seem to be lip service as tables were generally not cleaned in bars or restaurants between customers, and those items handled by different customers such as condiments remained on the table.

And by the end of the cruise the cleaning had really fallen below par with paper towel waste bins regularly overflowing onto the floor - although the upside was perhaps that was due to more people washing their hands.

And of course there was no mention at all officially of norovirus - god forbid that anyone should actually mention that.

Thus the vast majority of passengers went around blithely unaware that there was any particular issue, behaving as they might if there wasn't any problem - unless they saw the 'space suited' staff members wheeling trolleys laden down for the many cabins who had been quarantined.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 1

Nightmare getting on board today due to the delays. 

Arrived 3 hours later than our 1230 original slot and was just in a pen with everybody else. Listening to people moaning who were there with an original boarding time of 1530 but didn't want to arrive at that time then moaning about coaches going aboard first. Some of these coaches set off at 2am!! Impossible for staff to usher people in in order but not fair to the people that try to abide by the rules. 

Anyways, well done to those that got on even earlier than your original boarding time. It must make you proud seeing all those people waiting especially the elderly ones.

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Just got off Arvia this morning (9th June).

Embarkation was theoretically delayed by two hours for a deep clean a fortnight ago, but when I arrived an hour after my original 12:15 time preparing to wait another hour the embarkation had clearly been underway for some time and we were just ushered straight on, so perhaps they finished the deep clean earlier than expected...

Anyway the deep clean didn't work and a few days into the voyage the menu cards in the bars vanished, the menu covers in the restaurants disappeared, there were cards to the cabin with vague mentions of hand hygiene, and a single similar announcement from the captain about sanitising your hands on boarding from ports and pressing the lift buttons with knuckles.

Although there seemed to be a slight uptick in cleaning in the public areas, it did seem to be lip service as tables were generally not cleaned in bars or restaurants between customers, and those items handled by different customers such as condiments remained on the table.

And by the end of the cruise the cleaning had really fallen below par with paper towel waste bins regularly overflowing onto the floor - although the upside was perhaps that was due to more people washing their hands.

And of course there was no mention at all officially of norovirus - god forbid that anyone should actually mention that.

Thus the vast majority of passengers went around blithely unaware that there was any particular issue, behaving as they might if there wasn't any problem - unless they saw the 'space suited' staff members wheeling trolleys laden down for the many cabins who had been quarantined.

I was also on this cruise. I didn’t get norovirus but I did get Covid 😞

After reading your comments same cruise started feeling grotty with sore throat runny nose shivering loosing taste ,you guessed it both got covid good strong reading on the test .We were blaming air con on the ship never thought  about covid so thankyou for letting us know