Specialty Dining Reservation vs. Walk Up?

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

hey chief, you dont need to do it 10 times, just a couple will do, as long as the maitre ' d gets to know you

How many times do you go to the same specialty restaurant on a cruise?

• Like 2

Excuse the diversion, but I'm cruising solo and I noticed there's no single reservation option in the party size field. I'm guessing as a solo they're more likely to accept me as a walk-in, but I'd also like to make sure I get a special meal on my birthday. Should I just make a reservation for two?

3 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

Excuse the diversion, but I'm cruising solo and I noticed there's no single reservation option in the party size field. I'm guessing as a solo they're more likely to accept me as a walk-in, but I'd also like to make sure I get a special meal on my birthday. Should I just make a reservation for two?

Yes. There are no tables with just one chair. 

• Thanks 1

hey wayward, it depends on the number of days on the cruise, and how many freebies i get.

that being said, cagneys and le bistro at least 2 times each. i can take or leave la cucina,  moderno and since they did away with the filet mignon option, teppanyaki. since teppanyaki really has no walk up to speak of, i dont offer a handshake.  give the old "vegas"  handshake a try. worst comes to worst, you're out $10 bucks. best case scenario, you get your table.

and by the way, chief mate old buddy, since you're   in steerage, open your wallet and let that  old hamilton see the light of day. LOL

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

and by the way, chief mate old buddy, since you're   in steerage, open your wallet and let that  old hamilton see the light of day. LOL

I'm saving them for memory care.  It happens.  A lot.

• Haha 3

Just walk up.  I never make reservations because I enjoy the freestyle and I don't know what/when I want to eat until I'm ready to eat.  Always walk up and I've never waited more than 15 minutes.  You may get a buzzer and a coupon for a free drink at the bar.  The buzzer will go off before you finish the drink 

6 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Just walk up.  I never make reservations because I enjoy the freestyle and I don't know what/when I want to eat until I'm ready to eat.  Always walk up and I've never waited more than 15 minutes.  You may get a buzzer and a coupon for a free drink at the bar.  The buzzer will go off before you finish the drink 

I have never seen buzzers at specialty restaurants. Which ship and which specialty restaurants are using these now. 

Posted (edited)

I will walk up to a SDR and see if they can seat me within 15-20 minutes with no reservation.  If they can't, I just mosey on to another SDR, until I find one that can.

I don't make it past the 2nd one, usually.

If they're all full (which hasn't happened, yet), then I'll go to the MDR, who always has space available.

I'm low stress.  Can't find a bartender who isn't busy?  Go to the next bar.  Can't find a restaurant who can seat me, go to the next restaurant.

It's a cruise.  I don't stress about much of anything.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

We had a few reservations on our 10 day VIVA cruise last fall, but a few nights we didn't.  As One night, the wait at Commodores was 45 min, so we went to Cagney's right next door as a walk up, and was seated right away, it was around 7 pm. On another night, we walked up to Onda (our fav restaurant) and were seated right away. Again, during prime dinner time, and then did that again with the Mexican restaurant.   I would suggest reservations, but if you don't have them....dont worry 

On 6/10/2024 at 9:07 PM, Menocchio said:

Make the reservation for 2. My last cruise I was expecting to dine alone at the specialty restaurant I chose but someone I met at the solo meetups wanted to try it so we ate together - each of us using our allotted specialty dining meal. In fact, I never ate dinner alone during my last cruise. There was ALWAYS someone in the solo group to eat with and we had a wonderful time. Enjoy your cruise! (And your birthday dinner.)

It's been a while, but we had Cagney's reservation on BA and given buzzer.  About a 25 minute wait and the place not even full.  Pre drink package.  No free drink, told to sit.  Younger group of six come out to complain about service to deaf ears.  Thought one off only to experience it ourselves.  The only positive was they offered to deliver dessert to room - we were in a DOS.