Virgin Voyages "What were they thinking?"

Cloud9 Bob

I'm starting a Virgin Voyages "What were they thinking?" list. As I walk the ships, I'm constantly picking out things. I'll leave some for everyone else, but I'll start with postage stamp sized pool, see-saw and boxing ring. 😉

42 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Seating  in many public places that is totally uncomfortable. It seems to be designed for photos, not function.

I find this true for most of the ships I have sailed in the last few years.  It’s as if they want you up and moving…spending…. EM

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Seating  in many public places that is totally uncomfortable. It seems to be designed for photos, not function.

Especially near the teeter totter....you know those chairs that look like a horizontal rubber tire with the rope netting inside....supended like a swing with 3 heavy metal chains? Super expensive and mega uncomfortable. They do make up for it with the hammocks on the balcony though. 💡

24 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Especially near the teeter totter....you know those chairs that look like a horizontal rubber tire with the rope netting inside....supended like a swing with 3 heavy metal chains? Super expensive and mega uncomfortable. They do make up for it with the hammocks on the balcony though. 💡

Those aren’t chairs, they are playground swings for swinging in, hence them being next to the see-saws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Very low chairs. Designed for little people. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The pool is #1

Those cabanas you rent that take up  one side of the ship’s deck…I’ve been on 3 cruises and never saw even one of those booked. Totally empty and a waste of space.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, babalooo said:

The pool is #1

Those cabanas you rent that take up  one side of the ship’s deck…I’ve been on 3 cruises and never saw even one of those booked. Totally empty and a waste of space.

I think the aesthetic is bad as well   They look more like cells in the brig on a navy vessel than private lounges on a superyacht.  I suspect they would sell if they improved this.

Edited by Btr2trvl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, babalooo said:

The pool is #1

I saw a couple of the in use on our 14 night cruise and got to look inside one.  Totally not worth it.  They have a mini fridge, a couple of seats, and a crew member who checks on you periodically.   Oh, and some fans .  I wouldn't even want to spend a day in one; there are lots of better public spots and I can fetch my own beverages.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 1:46 PM, jon81uk said:

The see-saw and swings are some of the best features! Playgrounds are wasted on kids. I’m just annoyed there isn’t a slide as well.

A slide would be awesome. Like from somewhere up on deck 17 down to 15 or something...I support this ..lol

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JayIsFunny said:

A slide would be awesome. Like from somewhere up on deck 17 down to 15 or something...I support this ..lol

Pfft go big, replace the nets on 16 with slide entrances and have them go all the way down to the deck on 7(?) ...sure the suite owners might not like the view but the ride would be good!.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

Replace the net with a pool.  That whole area in the aft on deck 16 seemed liked an under used waste of space on the Virgin cruise I was on..

The net is kind of worthless, but I really liked that it wasn't crowded, was one of the places I spent most of the time on sea days.  Wouldn't want a pool back there.

• Like 1

Repeat of what some others mentioned already:

- net

- boxing ring

- record store (I get it’s a virgin theme but didn’t see anyone there)

- does anyone really use the private karaoke? 
- the cabanas are too expensive and I heard there was black dust that would fall around there. 

also, sometimes the bathroom is too far away. I think for razzle dazzle, it was just a men’s bathroom outside and the women’s bathroom was on the other side. 

I used the swing because I didn’t have a hammock. I wish they put hammocks there instead. 

Edited by CanadianCruiser21

18 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

record store (I get it’s a virgin theme but didn’t see anyone there)

They’ve pretty much stopped opening it anyway. It’s not really worked as it’s so separated from the other stores.

19 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

does anyone really use the private karaoke?

Yes, it’s quite well used. Certainly more than the cabanas.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I suspect some things would have been done differently had they not ended up launching the ships so close together.....didn't really have time to sort out what was working and what wasn't prior to starting construction on numbers 3 and 4.

it would be great if someone from VV reads this thread and takes some notes for when Scarlet Lady goes into dry dock.

• Like 2

On Brilliant Lady some of the new modified Sea Terrace cabins will have 2 hammocks due to slightly thinner balcony spacing. Add two hammocks to all the Rockstar and Mega-Rockstar suites. Those Cheeky Corner and Sweet Aft suite balconies are huge, why not have two hammocks? There's plenty of space and if im paying 10 grand for a suite, both me AND my partner should be able to have one!!

• Like 3

On 6/18/2024 at 12:35 PM, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Repeat of what some others mentioned already:

- net

- boxing ring

- record store (I get it’s a virgin theme but didn’t see anyone there)

- does anyone really use the private karaoke? 
- the cabanas are too expensive and I heard there was black dust that would fall around there. 

also, sometimes the bathroom is too far away. I think for razzle dazzle, it was just a men’s bathroom outside and the women’s bathroom was on the other side. 

I used the swing because I didn’t have a hammock. I wish they put hammocks there instead. 

The karaoke was full a lot of the time and my group used it twice on our 7-night cruise. 

13 hours ago, hoklun said:

Ramen in the galley should be a lunch/dinner option rather than breakfast/lunch 

Some of the crew from Ramen and Panini place work the restaurants at night.  My guess is that ramen wasn't the most popular dinner place so that's one that they close.