A Complication re Credit Card Input

I just called HAL to add Club Orange to a booking and everything worked fine until the agent transferred me to their new automated credit card system.  It asked for the card number to be input and promptly said it didn't receive anything.  Tried again.  Agent said try another card.  Still no joy.  He couldn't help.  Only suggestion - call back later. 

What a way to run a company.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

I just called HAL to add Club Orange to a booking and everything worked fine until the agent transferred me to their new automated credit card system.  It asked for the card number to be input and promptly said it didn't receive anything.  Tried again.  Agent said try another card.  Still no joy.  He couldn't help.  Only suggestion - call back later. 

They were open today??

I made a payment on Mon w/a live person who took both gift card and CC details. I wonder if I got lucky or if it was because I was splitting the payment.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Woofbite said:

That sucks, especially since CO can sell out.  I used the automated credit card entry a few weeks ago and it worked well for me.  Do you have another phone you can try?

Edited by hummingbird_206

Club Orange is normally only purchased through the Inventory/Upsell Department. That department is closed today. Regular agents do not normally take payments for Club Orange. As well as I have not heard of HAL offering any automated service for taking credit card payments.This just does not sound right?????

While yes they are open today but the normally would advise you to call back tomorrow for anything related or connected with Club Orange.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

As well as I have not heard of HAL offering any automated service for taking credit card payments.This just does not sound right?????

I just pad off my October cruise on Tuesday.  We used gift cards for most of the payments, and my PCC took those numbers over the phone.  I used my Visa card for the last $88 and I was transferred to the automated system.  Following the prompts I entered my credit card number, expiration date, then the security code.  I was immediately transferred back to my PCC and he pushed the button to run the card.  It was easy.  He said it was the new way HAL is running credit cards.

Edited by Taters
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I used the system on Tuesday and it was very easy to do.  I made the call on my landline.  I wish you the best in getting the system to work for you!

2 minutes ago, Taters said:

I just pad off my October cruise on Tuesday.  We used gift cards for most of the payments, and my PCC took those numbers over the phone.  I used my Visa card for the last $88 and I was transferred to the automated system.  Following the prompts I entered my credit card number, expiration date, then the security code.  I was immediately transferred back to my PCC and he pushed the button to run the card.  It was easy.  He said it was the new way to run credit cards.

Interesting, definitely the first I have heard of this. Other cruise lines do this, some send a computer link for credit card to be entered. They are wanting no responsibility for errors or fraud. But like anything new with HAL my guess is there are hiccups. Although I do find it counter productive if you are already talking to a PCC and they then send you to this phone system to enter your number, then they send you back. In that time period your PCC probably could have taken the payment and then answered any additional questions you had and ended the call.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Interesting, definitely the first I have heard of this. Other cruise lines do this, some send a computer link for credit card to be entered. They are wanting no responsibility for errors or fraud. But like anything new with HAL my guess is there are hiccups. Although I do find it counter productive if you are already talking to a PCC and they then send you to this phone system to enter your number, then they send you back. In that time period your PCC probably could have taken the payment and then answered any additional questions you had and ended the call.

I agree that the situation is a bit cumbersome, but in the end I paid off my cruise and felt nothing but pure joy at the end of the call. 😁  Woot woot!  We get to cruise!  If the system hadn't worked for me I would have definitely panicked.  The final payment date is July 7th.

26 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Club Orange is normally only purchased through the Inventory/Upsell Department. That department is closed today. Regular agents do not normally take payments for Club Orange. As well as I have not heard of HAL offering any automated service for taking credit card payments.This just does not sound right?????

While yes they are open today but the normally would advise you to call back tomorrow for anything related or connected with Club Orange.

I just used it twice in the past 3 weeks: the first time was to book a cruise and the second was for an upsell. Both times the agent transferred me to the automated system, and the system returned me to the agent a few moments later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I just used it twice in the past 3 weeks: the first time was to book a cruise and the second was for an upsell. Both times the agent transferred me to the automated system, and the system returned me to the agent a few moments later.

But did you use it to purchase Club Orange? I too processed a Club Orange in the past 10 days and the payment was taken by the Rep in the Inventory department, often they take the deposit and the Club Orange altogether then process what they need to do then move up the requested new stateroom/category. The Club Orange part is what really seems strange.

Posted (edited)

I have used this automated system a few times and it worked great.   HAL has been doing this for a month or so.  If you have a gift card, then the agent takes that information from you over the phone.

Edited by doone

27 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

But did you use it to purchase Club Orange? I too processed a Club Orange in the past 10 days and the payment was taken by the Rep in the Inventory department, often they take the deposit and the Club Orange altogether then process what they need to do then move up the requested new stateroom/category. The Club Orange part is what really seems strange.

No, only the cruise then the upsell.

I think I missed your point.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I used the automated system a few weeks ago to make my deposit and Club Orange payment at the same time.  I was leery but the system worked well.  Once I was returned to the agent she was able to upgrade my room based on the Club Orange benefit.

Edited to add: I did this on a Sunday, so I don't think it's anything to do with any specific office having to be open.

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, doone said:

I have used this automated system a few times and it worked great.   HAL has been doing this for a month or so.  If you have a gift card, then the agent takes that information from you over the phone.

The agent I dealt w/on Mon took both my gift cards and credit card - I was not transferred to a system for the cc portion.

• Like 1

Club Orange is added by putting a fare code onto your booking. The fare code is capacity controlled. That's why it can sell out. If the code is added to your booking and you can't pay via the automated phone system, you should be able to pay on your computer. You'd have to make the payment for the correct amount - the amount equal to the Club Orange cost.

I had to use the system back in April, so it's been around for a while. It reads the touch tone sounds from your phone keypad. Touch tone response systems have been around for decades, but here are some things that can throw them off: The systems don't play well with speakerphones, so try not to have the call on speaker. Bluetooth sometimes interferes with tone transmission. So earbuds, Bluetooth hearing aids, car connections, etc. can pose a problem.

If they added the Club Orange promo code to your booking, you have it. You can't do the upgrade until you pay for it though. Upgrades can only be done by the inventory department. I think they work 8-5 Pacific Time, M-F.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That seems like a safer way to do business. This way no 1 else has your credit card information except an automated system. I don't like giving my security code to people 

I don't know. Especially now that they have my credit card number and expiration date.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shadow 123 said:

That seems like a safer way to do business. This way no 1 else has your credit card information except an automated system. I don't like giving my security code to people 

I don't know. Especially now that they have my credit card number and expiration date.

Agreed. 
When I was finishing up classes and part of an ASP programming club (“web” was a newer concept, especially for those of us who did “forms”) our instructor admonished us to avoid building anything that would handle payments or medical information because of the liabilities. 

• Like 1

Whatever the problem was, when I called back midmorning the system worked when the agent transferred me to the automated system.  Maybe it was down for maintenance or upgrades earlier.

• Like 5