First time going out of New York, Canada/ New England or Bermud in October -November

15 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Late October is the peak time for Fall foliage color.  It can be worth it to risk a bit of inclement weather to view the beauty of nature at its best.

Yes, peak foliage in NYC is usually right around Halloween.  It would be a week or so before that in most of New England, so second half of October is the time I would pick.  Weather here is usually quite nice in October and it is usually one of our drier periods.  Weather can never be guaranteed though. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Late October is the peak time for Fall foliage color.  It can be worth it to risk a bit of inclement weather to view the beauty of nature at its best.

I would go with mid-October as the peak time for fall foliage color.

We once visited SUNY New Paltz on their date for prospective students to see the University as our son was applying. (He got in, but went somewhere else.) They had it on Columbus Day Weekend, and the foliage seen against the Shawangunk Mountains was just spectacular. It wasn't super, super special to us as we are only 5o miles from New Pattz and the colors were not that much different from those by us, but we did see the reactions of people from New York City who were just blown away by them.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:58 AM, ettaterrell said:

Oh I would love to have been on that less kids trip!  We are Gen x too and all our kids are grown so rather be with an older crowd.     Being new to NCL is there certain ships that have less kids?  Or is more about the destination haveing less kids?    Any tips about NCL you can offer will be great, I’m going to go through these boards and learn all I can before this trip lol. 

It’s more about the time of year that you sail.  When school is in session there will be fewer kids.  During spring break months you will see a lot of kids.  Also during the summer and the break between Christmas & New Years.  Schools all over have different schedules so it’s hard to know when spring break will be.  It’s insane how many breaks there are now!  When I was in school we had a two day break for Thanksgiving.  We had a Christmas break which would start a day or so before Christmas Eve and we’d go back the first weekday after the New Year.  We had one 1-week spring break around Easter. Other than a few individual days here & there, that was it.

The longer the cruise is the fewer kids you’ll see.  So a 14 day cruise should have far fewer than a 7 day.  Transatlantic cruises will have few kids as well.  

On 7/10/2024 at 9:58 AM, ettaterrell said:

Being new to NCL is there certain ships that have less kids?  Or is more about the destination haveing less kids

When schools out, you're going to have kids! We always sail early spring, mid fall when school is in session.Never during Thanksgiving break, Christmas-New Years, winter or spring breaks.

10 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

That’s the one I’ll be on as well!

cool, I'm hoping we'll see some Northern Lights when we get up north

3 minutes ago, ngrund said:

cool, I'm hoping we'll see some Northern Lights when we get up north

I'd be extremely surprised if you see the Northern Lights. Rarely do they make it down to Quebec/New England. It's possible - it just happened about a month ago, but it's not something to expect.

Good luck, though - I hope you do see them!

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'd be extremely surprised if you see the Northern Lights. Rarely do they make it down to Quebec/New England. It's possible - it just happened about a month ago, but it's not something to expect.

Good luck, though - I hope you do see them!

I"m thinking when we get up to St John's

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

I"m thinking when we get up to St John's

in Canada there is two different st johns. make sure you get the correct one

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. This is most common port of call and is where the bay of Fundy is at. Unfortunately this is commonly abbreviated as just St John 

St John, Newfoundland, Canada. This port is typically for the smaller mid size ships and where ships usually dock when they are reposition from Europe to the states or vice versa 

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

in Canada there is two different st johns. make sure you get the correct one

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. This is most common port of call and is where the bay of Fundy is at. Unfortunately this is commonly abbreviated as just St John 

St John, Newfoundland, Canada. This port is typically for the smaller mid size ships and where ships usually dock when they are reposition from Europe to the states or vice versa 

Yep, thanks, my bad.I googled the wrong one, we're going to the one in New Brunswick, so no lights for me.

2 hours ago, ngrund said:

Yep, thanks, my bad.I googled the wrong one, we're going to the one in New Brunswick, so no lights for me.

and need to change lunch/brewery plans, thank again.