Solo access even if not in a solo cabin?

Hi all,

First time NCL for me and am excited to see how well they deal with us solo cruisers - really hope it becomes more the norm as I love cruising and often do it solo. 

I just booked a cruise with the Prima very last minute as other plans fell through, and there were no solo cabins available. Does anyone know if "normal passengers" can still access the solo events and the lounge? Read something about it being keyed to only the solo cabins

Thank you and if you have any other tips they will be highly appreciated!

I watched a youtube video last week.  That person may have been on the Getaway or might have been the Prima - can't remember.  In any case, that person had been in a solo studio before and enjoyed the lounge activities.  So, his next cruise he was in a situation similar to you and asked if he could access the solo lounge since he was sailing solo.  He was told NO.  

49 minutes ago, Miss_Confused said:

Hi all,

First time NCL for me and am excited to see how well they deal with us solo cruisers - really hope it becomes more the norm as I love cruising and often do it solo. 

I just booked a cruise with the Prima very last minute as other plans fell through, and there were no solo cabins available. Does anyone know if "normal passengers" can still access the solo events and the lounge? Read something about it being keyed to only the solo cabins

Thank you and if you have any other tips they will be highly appreciated!

There will be a notice in each day's Freestyle Daily as to what time and what venue will host "Solo" gatherings.

I would also suggest that you find the Roll Call for your particular cruise and post there.  There may be a number of other Solo passengers already posting.

• Haha 1

Assuming the daily solo gathering is held in the Studio Lounge, you can join the group and take advantage of the Lounge during that time. The solo coordinator usually props the door open or keeps an eye on it. You will not be able to swipe in with your keycard at any time.

On the Epic there is a glass door to the Lounge and people will stand at the door and stare longingly into the lounge, like a kid staring in a bakery window. 

Besides the Studio rooms that have access to the lounge if you are in one of the newly classified solo balconies, oceanviews and insides you also are eligible for access.

From NCL.com:

Norwegian makes it easy to cruise solo or sail with a group on your own terms. We offers Balconies, Oceanviews and Inside Staterooms for solo travelers as well as our award-winning Studios. All Solo Staterooms include exclusive access to the Studio Lounge. And save money when you book – these rooms are priced exclusively for solo travelers!

Thanks all!!! Will have to keep an eye out for the published events

Kinda silly that Im cruising solo and paying the price to do so yet somehow because my shower isnt in the middle of the room I dont get access to socialize whenever I want haha 

20 minutes ago, Miss_Confused said:

Kinda silly that Im cruising solo and paying the price to do so yet somehow because my shower isnt in the middle of the room I dont get access to socialize whenever I want haha 

As has been mentioned there ARE other designated solo rooms apart from the studios. Regular insides, oceanviews and balconies marked as "solo" and with a slightly lower price than paying double occupancy also give loung access.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Miss_Confused said:

Thanks all!!! Will have to keep an eye out for the published events

My experience is that the solo lounges are under utilized except for the afternoon/evening get together.  In all the times I have been in the lounge I have never seen another person. YMMV

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Asawi said:

As has been mentioned there ARE other designated solo rooms apart from the studios. Regular insides, oceanviews and balconies marked as "solo" and with a slightly lower price than paying double occupancy also give loung access.

That would be brilliant, crossing fingers thats one of the ones I get. Think I pretty much got the last cabin available as there was no choices to make, just GTY inside. First time not picking my cabin and oddly think it will be fun to rock up and see what I get (still crossing fingers that a balcony upgrade becomes available before sailaway but not holding my breath) 

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

My experience is that the solo lounges are under utilized except for the afternoon/evening get together.  In all the times I have been in the lounge I have never seen another person. YMMV

I have ony been in one studio (Bliss earlier this year) and at most there were two other persons in the lounge when I stopped by. Most of the times none.  I was in and out of there several times each day for coffee and maybe a cookie (or two). So I agree, it's under utilized.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

So sounds like I wont be missing out then, also I wasnt planning on spending a bunch of time there as it didnt look to have any windows 

Just now, Miss_Confused said:

So sounds like I wont be missing out then, also I wasnt planning on spending a bunch of time there as it didnt look to have any windows 

IMO you won’t miss anything, and yes it is buried in the middle of the ship - not a window to be found. 

12 minutes ago, Miss_Confused said:

I actually just went from a studio room to a non-solo oceanview for my Escape Transatlantic in November. A little bit sad to lose the coffe machine just a few steps from my room, but not sad enough to say no to an oceanview AND a lower price (Solo supplement was dropped on some rooms yesterday). I like to find nice spots to sit and read and with a window my own room can be one of those nice spots. (Having said that, I'm not picky! I LOVED my Bliss studio. And on my next cruise in September I'll be in an inside.)

26 minutes ago, zqvol said:

IMO you won’t miss anything, and yes it is buried in the middle of the ship - not a window to be found. 

My experience also--- empty most of the day except for those looking for cookies and coffee.  Total waste of space.

49 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

My experience also--- empty most of the day except for those looking for cookies and coffee.  Total waste of space.

I enjoy reading in the studio lounge in late evening in peace and quiet—with a cookie or two.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, caribbeanboy said:

Do you get double points when sailing solo?

If your cabin is not specifically a Solo-labeled cabin, then no, you don't get access to the Lounge.

If the cruise is one of the Past Guest sailings with the LATITUDE, you get double points. If not, then no, you just get the 1 per night. (I know Princess used to give my mom 2 points for being alone in a double occupancy. NCL doesn't do it.)

I've had better luck with Studio Lounges. They've been great places to meet and sit and chat with others in the Studios. Yeah, there's times it's empty or quiet, but other times, it had various people relaxing... doing puzzles.. watching a movie. 

One thing I really like about the Studio area is the lack of children running up and down the halls.

I've been able to access the Studio Lounge many times. The last time was on the Prima but there have been other ships going back to when they debuted on The Epic. In my experience the door to the lounge is often unlocked. Maybe I've just been lucky.

21 hours ago, Kingofthesailaway said:

I've been able to access the Studio Lounge many times. The last time was on the Prima but there have been other ships going back to when they debuted on The Epic. In my experience the door to the lounge is often unlocked. Maybe I've just been lucky.

You were lucky. On the Prima, I was unhappy because one of the doors to the Studio area didn't lock. I put in a compaint and nothing was done. When I was on the Escape, there was someone purposely putting a piece of cardboard in the door to keep the area open to non-Studio people.  

Unless someone loves the WMF 2000 coffee machine or cookies/cake, I'm not sure what the draw would be. Generally if there's a solo get together in the Studio Lounge, someone does open the door for the non-Solo Room people.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I originally booked in a Solo Studio for an upcoming cruise on the Bliss. About a week ago I noticed that the price of a Solo Balcony had dropped enough to I could upgrade for a song. I did so, and my reservation was changed to a GTY Solo Balcony (BT). Today I have been assigned to a specific balcony stateroom classified BA.

Given that I signed up and paid for a Solo Balcony will I still have access to the solo lounge even though I'm technically in a regular balcony? I've heard the coffee is decent. 

BA is a regular (but the highest category) balcony, so my guess is you probably will not get access to the lounge. 

The studio lounge usually has the WMF 2000 (or other model) machine, which makes espressos, americanos, lattes, macchiatos and capuchinos (sp) and I think cafe crema. I like it. Some people think it's not that good for "just a plain coffee." 

Other than the machine, the Studio Lounges aren't that special. Some cookies, cakes and fruit you could get in the buffet. Water and fruit drinks, which could also be gotten at the buffet. None of the ones I've been in have been a hangout spot.

That said, if you print out the original BT booking and sweetly ask at Guest Services, they might grant you access.

• Thanks 2

I’ve booked my mother into a solo balcony for our cruise in January, at the moment I’m still booked in a studio but if the balcony price drops considerably I will switch. The studio lounge is useful as an escape when the weather is not conducive to hanging out in an outdoor space and the rest of the interior spaces are crowded with others escaping the weather. The only missing convenience is a bar but I believe the studio lounge on the Prima class ships have some booze on tap that is covered by the drink package unlike the wine machines in the other studio lounges. 
I have purchased the thermal spa pass on my last few cruises so didn’t hang out in the lounge at all really. I’m debating buying a vibe pass for the next cruise, if I was going without any relatives I most likely would go for it, but my mum along with possibly an aunt and uncle from each side of the family may be coming too. They used to charter small yachts and sail themselves but there’s been a few joint replacements recently so they’re more willing to do a cruise. 

When I was on the Prima transatlantic from NYC in May 2023 a lot of people used the solo lounge as a hangout, particularly after two of our Iceland port stops were canceled and we were doing circles out at sea. A bunch of us were hunkered down in the lounge drinking coffee and watching the ship make loops on the TV screen. It was also a convenient place to meet up before going to dinner/drinks/parties. The actual hosted solo meetups were in either a bar or the comedy club when I was on board. 

• Like 1