Airport

Ichabod123

Hello. I'm dipping my toe into Cunard (I've become disilusioned with P&O) and am considering an Alaska cruise. My questions are:

1. Do Cunard arrange flights or would I need to do so myself?

2. If so, does someone meet me at the UK airport - I'm terrified of getting lost in an airport and getting on the wrong plane

3. Can particular seats be booked?

4. How long a flight would it be (UK to Seatle)?

5. Would I need an ESTA (or similar) and, if so,k is that my responsibility?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm terrified of going through an airport alone

30 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Hello. I'm dipping my toe into Cunard (I've become disilusioned with P&O) and am considering an Alaska cruise. My questions are:

2. If so, does someone meet me at the UK airport - I'm terrified of getting lost in an airport and getting on the wrong plane

I think you are very brave to contemplate it.

Cunard can arrange flights, transfers, and any necessary hotel stays. I don’t know how it works in detail, having never done it myself, though I’m not sure it is easy to get on the wrong plane nowadays. I would engage a travel agent to arrange everything for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

You can book a Cunard fly/ cruise but the flight will be to Cunard’s spec.

or

book your own flight separately

or

you can get Cunard to book a flight- the itinerary, class, date and timing etc of your choice but included in your Cunard booking. This is usually a more expensive option.

You can book passenger assist if you need assistance which is free or you can  book. VIP package at most airports but it will cost you dearly

In our experience, getting  our own flights sorted but included in our booking means we can choose our seats once the flight part of the booking is paid for.

Depending on routing, about 9 hrs ish

Yes you would need a US ESTA and it’s your responsibility to get one

Edit

I would get a reputable agent to guide you through the booking process 

Edited by Victoria2

3 hours ago, Ichabod123 said:

Lots of good information from CC.
With an early Cunard booking one can upgrade to scheduled flights with Cunard, also the seating grade, but do pay for the flight separately and in full at time of booking, then one can the obtain the flight locator reference when the flight opens, so one can immediately select seats.  Months in advance of flying

If only paying a deposit, then the flight locator is only released once one has paid the cruise/flight balance, by then the better seats have gone, and only being able to select from what remains, a few weeks before flying.

3 hours ago, Ichabod123 said:

Firstly don't worry too much about the airport experience. It's pretty much impossible to get on the wrong flight since airport systems just don't allow it. The gates these days are highly automated. Particularly for flights to the USA where the airlines must inform the Department for Homeland Security of each and every passenger arriving into the USA, and airlines get massive fines if they make a mistake.

If you feel that this is a particular medical or related condition that is causing this, then just book assistance with the airline, they will then get the airport to assist you through the process. In the case of Heathrow it's a company called Wilson James, and they can ensure you get to the right place. I've mentioned the sunflower lanyard in another context just now, but that works throughout Heathrow and I know people have had training what that entails. Moreover, if you are down as an assistance passenger, airlines will usually allow you to get a seat allocated in advance without paying a fee. BA have a special telephone line for that.

Also for Heathrow to Seattle there are effectively only 3 options, BA, Virgin and Delta (and the last two are in a common business arrangement). So your flight can only be from Terminal 5 for BA, or Terminal 3, both are well signed. Various Apps, not least Heathrow's own app, will tell you about where and when to go. BA has a wayfinding app which is very good. The screen version is here (it neater on a mobile phone):

https://wayfinding.maps.ba.com/departing

The two BA services are BA49 and BA53, so you can give it as test run for tomorrow's flight (49 is gate A10, which is unusual, it's a bus gate, it won't normally be that). If you use it on a mobile phone it keeps track of where you are.

It's a 9 hour 30 to 10 hour service, depending on aircraft type. It can be quicker depending on where the jetstream is.

ESTAs can be arranged online but it's reasonably easy to do, thousands of people successfully get them every day. If you have a trusted neighbour to help you then it may be a bit easier to do. Mostly you hear the results within an hour or two.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

@Pushpit we go to Alaska next June when would we need to apply for the Esta in that case, now or nearer time of travel thanks in advance for useful.info above 👍🙂

Most people would get an ESTA straight away - matter of hours, so this is done by robotics. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 days, they sometimes need to research some people's applications. So in theory leaving it until late makes sense, since you can use the ESTA for perhaps a later trip. There is an argument for applying a few months beforehand if you suspect it may be problematic (e.g. a run in with the law, or a visit to one of the USA's enemy states) since if you are one of the very rare people to be declined, you may still have time to get a visa instead of an ESTA. This is currently about 5 weeks for London, somewhat less at Belfast. So perhaps 2 months beforehand?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

@Pushpit we go to Alaska next June when would we need to apply for the Esta in that case, now or nearer time of travel thanks in advance for useful.info above 👍🙂

Will only add to @Pushpit great advice, is to only apply on the official USA site - 

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

Not via a ripoff agent site, where overcharging for doing very little, and not delivering the ESTA, is a lucrative pastime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ichabod123 said:

Oh, just one more thing:

Would I need to collect cases and transport them to the ship myself or does that happen automatically?

You would need to collect your cases and clear Customs as usual, Depending on the transfer arrangements you may need to check them in with you at the port or the coach driver may do that, it will be confirmed with you when you board the coach

On 7/25/2024 at 11:05 PM, Pushpit said:

Most people would get an ESTA straight away - matter of hours, so this is done by robotics. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 days, they sometimes need to research some people's applications. So in theory leaving it until late makes sense, since you can use the ESTA for perhaps a later trip. There is an argument for applying a few months beforehand if you suspect it may be problematic (e.g. a run in with the law, or a visit to one of the USA's enemy states) since if you are one of the very rare people to be declined, you may still have time to get a visa instead of an ESTA. This is currently about 5 weeks for London, somewhat less at Belfast. So perhaps 2 months beforehand?

Hi where did you see the wait time as 5 weeks for London and less for Belfast. The website is saying 110 days wait for available appointments for both London and Belfast. My daughter needs a visa and was hoping not to have to pay extra to expedite.  

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Hi where did you see the wait time as 5 weeks for London and less for Belfast. The website is saying 110 days wait for available appointments for both London and Belfast. My daughter needs a visa and was hoping not to have to pay extra to expedite.  

Pay and end any extended angst… After all it’s only money

15 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Pay and end any extended angst… After all it’s only money

Yes she is going to do that as her partner only has a 3 week wait for the type of visa he needs so they will do that unless they can get a family appointment at the same time as his. 

Just now, Winifred 22 said:

Yes she is going to do that as her partner only has a 3 week wait for the type of visa he needs so they will do that unless they can get a family appointment at the same time as his. 

Wishing all luck….
Know USA Government employees evidence urgency and are much more productive than…

So the prognosis is a good one….

On 7/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, Victoria2 said:

You can book a Cunard fly/ cruise but the flight will be to Cunard’s spec.

or

book your own flight separately

or

you can get Cunard to book a flight- the itinerary, class, date and timing etc of your choice but included in your Cunard booking. This is usually a more expensive option 

Do Cunard have a preferred flight provider eg BA or do they just find you the cheapest flight and offer that or do they offer you several flight options 🤔 

8 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Do Cunard have a preferred flight provider eg BA or do they just find you the cheapest flight and offer that or do they offer you several flight options 🤔 

Sorry. I have no idea as we have never let Cunard dictate our flights.

We have always looked into flights, airlines, scheduling and class of travel ourselves with our agent and once decided, he books it with  Cunard on the same booking reference