28 Day Norwegian Fjords & Icelandic Intrigue on Sojourn - July 27th through August 24th - Our Experience

SLSD

17 hours ago, kej1 said:

@SLSD. Thank you for sharing your experiences!  I really appreciate your commentary and feedback on the cruise.  Also happy to hear they will start opening the MDR for lunch in particular on port days.  On our spring South Pacific trip on Pursuit it was closed except sea days.  The Colunmade was crowded with a wait and the patio which is an extension on this smaller ship was very hot and humid also with a wait and pretty uncomfortable in the heat of the day with 90% humidity.  Given the fact there was no place to go off ship for lunch, and the expeditions were for everyone at more or less the same time morning and afternoon ( staggered but everyone returned for  a lunch window at around the same time more or less), lunches were dreaded as opposed to relaxed!  We started just having a big room service breakfast and picking up snacks in the square or ordering room service which unfortunately quite a few were doing the latter so it was tight to make the afternoon expedition sometimes.     Fingers crossed this will change on the expedition cruises as well! 
Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice report!  Much appreciated by all.

Our experience was somewhat different. We spent 25 days on a full Venture this summer. Sometimes there was a wait of three or four people at the main food station, and sometimes we had to share a table. Even this could be avoided if we went slightly later to the Colonnade. We found the food excellent, and the service good at lunch. it was certainly not something to be dreaded but enjoyed. Note on our cruises the patio was largely too cold to be an option.

I undertook every expedition and at no point felt rushed. I feel the Colonnade often gets an undeserved bad reputation. A little bit of patience and flexibility brings its reward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed - but there are people who  just hate the idea of a buffet, and nothing will persuade them otherwise.  I am not one of them, but do understand.  Just wish they would not rubbish it for others; as you say it can be a perfectly pleasant experience for the rest of us, especially outside on a lovely day.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nops said:

Our experience was somewhat different. We spent 25 days on a full Venture this summer. Sometimes there was a wait of three or four people at the main food station, and sometimes we had to share a table. Even this could be avoided if we went slightly later to the Colonnade. We found the food excellent, and the service good at lunch. it was certainly not something to be dreaded but enjoyed. Note on our cruises the patio was largely too cold to be an option.

I undertook every expedition and at no point felt rushed. I feel the Colonnade often gets an undeserved bad reputation. A little bit of patience and flexibility brings its reward.

I think the Colonnade is a wonderful option for many people.  The food looks very good.  For us, it is the ambience of the room which keeps us from eating there.  It's just a personal preference.  Also, I don't like handling serving implements handled by everyone.  And, we don't like dining from buffets.  We are all different in what we like and don't like.  

13 hours ago, Nops said:

Our experience matches kej1-the Collonade on Pursuit was awful.  In fact we ordered room service quite often for lunch.  I would add that the buffet food was no better than a Carnival ship.  The cold cuts were dire, the roasts were always cheap cuts of meat and the salads uninspired.  

If it were not for the itinerary, we would never cruise on a Seabourn expedition ship again.  Our cruise ran out of many essential items including all lettuce, all berries, most fruit, most fresh vegetables and even some meats.  This was a two week itinerary and some items like berries were never available even on day one.

• Like 1

You were unlucky - that does not sound anything like the 'regular' ships.  Running out of so many things sounds like bad management, sadly, and hopefully might get sorted out.  I hope you have reported it back to Head Office as well as on the ship.

• Like 1

We are back home safely and savoring what was a very enjoyable 28 day cruise aboard Sojourn.  Heathrow was a bit of a total zoo (and I am not going to say what I really think), but we survived and our flight was on time and all is well 

Now, I am going to eat crow and say that our stop in Amsterdam was among the best on our journey.  Mr. SLSD and I have spent a number of days in Amsterdam previously--so we did not opt for excursions in the city.  We decided to go outside of the city and experience a village surrounded by windmills and the town of Edam.  

But first, on our drive out of the city, we noticed some really innovative modern architecture.  

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_5171.JPG

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

In Amsterdam, since we have been to all of the most prominent art museums and have taken a canel cruise, we opted to visit De Zaanse Schans and the town of Edam on an excursion from Sojourn.  All of us are different in what we look for in an excursion.  Some want adventure, zodiacs and hiking, while others of us want a tour that takes us into the history of area.  We want local color, ambience and an understanding of what is happening in a region.  

We certainly got what we wanted in a ship's tour titled Windmills and Edam.  First, I will say that the descriptions offered by Seabourn often do not fully describe what you are going to see.  The description for Windmills and Edam was not very accurate, but what we did see was very satisfying.  

First, we had a great guide who was very knowledgable and she told us that the village of De Zaanse Schans was NOT a museum, but rather a living community where people lived their daily lives.  In addition, this area has one of the larger groups of windmills, preserved from the time they were integral in The Netherlands.  As best I can find, the authentic homes in De Zaanse Schans were gathered from various areas in the Netherlands.  The village is truly like a storybook illustration.  There are footpaths through the area, bridges over creeks, and gardens, shops and some beautiful Dutch architecture from the 17th century--the pinnacle of The Kingdom of The Netherlands.  

I've included some photos from De Aanse Schans so that you can see a bit o what we experienced.  

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2798 (1).JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

After visiting the charming village of De Zaanse Schans, our guide took us on to the town of Edam, home of the well known Edam cheese.  All along the way, she educated us about the very concerning hydrolic issues in The Netherlands, specifically about the excess of water in the country and the concerning issues  revolving around climate change.  Our guide pointed out numerous areas where lakes had been reclaimed as land for farms and houses.  She told us that there are 11,000 dikes in The Netherlands and a government agency which looks after them.  We saw so much water in the area.  You could not drive anywhere without seeing waterways, canals, creeks, ditches filled with water. Most of the farmland and living area were BELOW sea level. Hopefully, The Netherlands will be able to address rising water levels. 

The town of Edam was charming.  We walked down narrow alleyways rife with flowering plants and walked along cobble stone streets with charming architecture anywhere you looked.  I am convinced that if we ever take a cruise out of Amsterdam, we should consider staying in a hotel in Edam and enjoying this small town prior to our cruise.  

Here are a few photos of Edam. 

IMG_2842 (1).JPG

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2883 (1).jpg

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

We did not attend most public events while onboard Sojourn.  For example, we skipped all the captain's receptions and Seabourn Club receptions in the Grand Salon.  We did attend a Virtuoso reception at the Club's bar.  We also did not attend the Epicurean event at the end of the first two segments of cruise, but DID attend this event on the very last night of our 28 day cruise as we wanted to applaud the great crew.  The event was held in the Grand Salon instead of on the pool deck as high winds were in the forecast as we sailed out of Amsterdam.  I am not sure that the high winds materialized.  The event was fun.  A highlight, of course, was the Cruise Director Robert singing in his rich baritone voice.  Another highlight was the parade of crew from each department,  The hardworking housekeeping staff received the heartiest applause.  We waved at Pulane and Jasper, our attendants,  as they walked by.  I'm glad that Seabourn seems to have dispensed with singing "Now It's Time to Say Goodbye" at this event.  The Epicurean Event  was a nice public ending of a delightful cruise.  

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5144 (3).jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Closing Comments--Here are some comments about some aspects of our cruise.  I want to make it clear that these are very subjective opinions and many of you might see things differently.  We started cruising reluctantly in 2005 and then took a hiatus of a number of years before we cruised again.  We mostly cruise to go places instead of cruising for the life on the ship.  

Sojourn is a lovely ship.  Even though it is one of the older ships in Seabourn's fleet, it is in very good shape.  I saw NO signs of wear.  In our suite, the carpet looked new, the leather chairs were without wear, The cabinets and other furniture were "like new" in appearance.  The only thing that seemed to need replacement was the mattress on the bed--and that is an important element of the suite. 

For those of you who have not sailed with Seabourn before, it is important to understand the Sojourn is not a glitzy ship.  While I haven't sailed on Regent, I've seen photos.  The difference in decor is night and day.  Sojourn (and the other Seabourn ships) are understated in decor. 

Food--I thought the food was better this year on Sojourn than the food on Ovation last summer.  Of course, this is a totally subjective comment.  I do think there is a bit too much repetition, which is really noticeable on a 28 day cruise.  

The Restaurant--I like the restaurant on Sojourn a bit more than The Restaurant on Ovation/Encore.  It is a bit more elegant.  Markam pointed this out to me back in 2019, and I agree with him.  I like the decor better.  The O Class ships seem to have a lower ceiling which makes the fact that it is plastic more obvious.  Sojourn's Restaurant seems less noisy than the Restaurant on the O Class Ships.  

That being said, The Restaurant is basically a big hotel catering operation.  While it is well done, you don't get the same kind of care or on the spot cooking/preparation that you may experience in a fine restaurant onshore.  The portions are fairly small.  That suits us perfectly, but those with bigger appetites might be happy ordering at least two starters plus the entree.  I miss getting to order just a cup of soup instead of a large bowl.  Ideally, I would like a small salad and a cup of soup as starters and then the entree.  I've asked in the past for just a cup of soup, and was told that it wasn't possible.  The desserts are generally worth the calories, but not always.  I like the fact that sorbet is always offered.  I would like to see more vegetables offered.  Vegetables do come with most entrees, but they are tiny portions. 

I do enjoy lunch in The Restaurant.  I like the serenity of the venue at this meal and have been happy with the menu offerings.  There are always classic items on the menu as well as items offered on just that day. 

We enjoy breakfast in The Restaurant.  The offerings of pastries are nice, but better bread is needed for toast!

Colonnade--As most who have read this thread now, we don't prefer the Colonnade.  We don't do buffets and don't like the indoor ambience in the Colonnade.  We DO like dining on the Veranda of the Colonnade and had at least three or four lunches on the Veranda during our 28 days.  We order from the short menu--wishing it changed occasionally--or was longer. Of course cold or rainy weather makes it difficult to dine outdoors. 

Earth and Ocean is our favorite restaurant on any Seabourn ship and we loved it on Sojourn.  If you are on a cold weather cruise and wish to dine at Earth and Ocean, arrive a bit before 7pm if you want to get one of the warmer tables at the restaurant.  

We like the menu at Earth and Ocean.  Not only is it innovative, it is delicious!!  The only entree I had that I didn't care for at Earth and Ocean was the short ribs.  They were a disappointment, but every other entree was quite good!  I especially like the Tempura Shrimp, the Ribeye steak, and the duck dishes.  The desserts were quite good.  The service is very good at Earth and Ocean and the more you dine there, the more the wait staff EXPECTS to see you there--and comments when you miss a night.  

It is sometimes nice to not have to dress up for Earth and Ocean.  Generally, you dine on a cold weather cruise with your coat on!

Sushi in The Club--We didn't try it, but heard good reports from others

Patio for lunch--We like dining on the patio for lunch on nice weather days.  Mr. SLSD liked grabbing a slice of pizza.  I enjoyed ordering the fish of the day and the soup of the day (which is just a cup of soup) .  It's a generally lighter lunch than the offerings in the MDR at lunch.  The dessert offerings were great. 

Solis--We had two very good meals at Solis and one that was mediocre.  It may depend on what you like and what you order.  I loved the Grilled Shrimp (Gambas) and the Panzinella Salad (sp).  I should  have stayed with what I knew I loved.  I found the other things I ordered to not be nearly as satisfying taste wise.  The desserts were good.  No premium wines were pushed on us--ever.  Solis is a small cozy restaurant on Sojourn.  If you don't like dining cheek by jowl with the people at the next table, ask for a table by the window.  

Room Service---We ordered Room Service breakfasts whenever we were in port and had an early excursion.  I had about the same thing every day---Western omelette, selection of melons, toast and tea (either hot or iced).  Mr SLSD ordered granola, yogurt, OJ, and coffee and sometimes french toast instead of granola.  There is no syrup listed on the room service menu!  So, I would always have to write it in--most days it was delivered, while some days there was no syrup on the tray.  Seabourn seriously needs better bread for toast.  

We were disappointed in the pancakes--both for Room Service and in the Restaurant.  They were bland, cold and a bit hard.  Not what you would expect on a luxury cruise.  We quit ordering them. 

Bars and Alcohol

The good news first--I really do think that Sojourn had better complimentary wines than on past cruises.  There were new offerings of European wines--several from Italy and Austria.  We tried quite a few of them and liked them. 

Mr. SLSD was disappointed that there were no Norwegian beers onboard.  He likes to try local beers.  He asked at our first Norwegian port if Norwegian beers were going to be brought on board and was told that they would be.  Unfortunately, this did not prove to be true.  I think Seabourn is missing the boat when they neglect to bring something like a local beer onboard.  

We thought that David (from Kenya) the bartender in the Obs Bar at the beginning of our cruise was excellent.  He handled a position that could be quite stressful with admirable aplomb.  He always had a big smile on his face and was friendly AND efficient.  Talk about a great personality!  It was fun to watch him mix drinks.  He served them with a flourish!  

My favorite mixed drink in the Obs Bar is the Hemingway Daquiri.  It is not frozen, but has a few slivers of ice in it.  Try it!  You will probably like it.

I do wish that Seabourn made their cocktail menu more accessible.  It WAS more evident on this sailing, but had not changed since last year.  Solis did have an interesting cocktail menu and we enjoyed several cocktails there before dinner. 

I was not very impressed with the Pool Bar.  To be fair, I think it is often understaffed during the day, especially in the late afternoon.  The Sky Bar was closed the two times we tried to go there--even though The Herald said it was open.  The weather was fine. 

Crew

I thought the crew was excellent.  They are hardworking, always had a smile on their face, and once they knew what you liked, they would often present it without you asking.  I don't know how you could ask for more--from anyone. 

Excursions

We took quite a few of the ship's excursions and were pleased with them. Most of the guides were excellent and spoke excellent English and knew their subjects.  Very impressive.  I do not like the fact that usually the buses were full.  I think a luxury cruise line should do better.  Perhaps there is a shortage of buses in some remote locations?  Or, a shortage of guides?

We did have one very unacceptable excursion.  Hint--do NOT book the Stryn Lake/National Park excursion in Loen.  Just don't do it.  I won't go into great detail, but we had a truly bad guide, a poor plan, a inattentive bus driver (was eating pancakes instead of staying with bus when people were trying to reboard), a bus whose windshield wipers did not work, and a main stop which was not worthy of a tour.  Mr. SLSD who NEVER complains, typed out a one page letter listing the ways the excursion failed and asked for refund.  It was given.  

I do think that Seabourn is struggling at some ports to find good excursion itineraries.  More effort needs to be made in that area.  

Entertainment

The entertainment is ok.  I won't rave about it, but it was ok.  I question the decision to have only one male and one female singer onboard.  I think their programs lacked something as those two sang every song.  The dancers were exceptional and fun to watch.  As I said above in the thread, the VERY BEST  show was an impromptu show put together in just a few hours.  I'm not entirely sure that Belinda King is earning her dollars when an impromptu show is the best.  I may be an outlier with this opinion.  

Cruise Director

I am always surprised when someone asks why people want to know who the Cruise Director on their cruise will be.  In my opinion, the Cruise Director sets the tone for a cruise and can greatly add to the enjoyment for many.  Robert was our Cruise Director and he is excellent.  Not only is he very friendly and appears to be everywhere at once, he jumps right in when his excellent singing voice is needed.  He is humorous and kind.  Just what a cruise needs!

Fellow Cruisers

Most of the cruisers on Sojourn from July 27th through August 24th were somewhat elderly.  The first seven days had the youngest cruisers.  The last 14 days had the oldest.  There were a number of cruisers throughout the 28 days in wheelchairs and more with walkers, canes, etc.  This is just a report, not a complaint.  We are elderly ourselves.  At 72 and 73, we are probably just a bit older than average on a Seabourn cruise.  That being said, we are not infirm and are quite able physically.  We DO not have the energy level we had when we were 50 years old.  We made sure to get some rest most days--usually in the afternoon and found we could not go to a show AND to the Obs Bar afterwards.  For us, it was one or the other. 

Some of the cruisers are delightful people--friendly, considerate, helpful.  Others are not.  Enough said there. 

The bottom line is we had a wonderful cruise--in spite of a few negative comments above.  I remain impressed with Seabourn and how it runs its ships.   We had a great deal of fun.  We put down a future cruise deposit.  We have not chosen an itinerary yet.  We prefer longer cruises, but only cruise once a year.  We know ourselves and know we could become jaded quite easily.  We don't want that to happen.  We want each of our Seabourn cruises to remain a special experience and this cruise certainly was.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Mr. SLSD disagrees with me that we were a bit older than the average cruiser at 72 and 73.  Of course, I cannot guess everyone's age.  He put the average age of  Sojourn cruisers on our cruise in their 80s.  I think some may have looked a bit older than they actually are.  I could be wrong!

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

On 8/24/2024 at 11:52 AM, nancygp said:

We are doing the July Norway/Iceland cruise next year…will that one be part of your cruise?   It’s been so long since we cruised together!

Hi, Nancy! We're on the June 14 -> July 12, 2025 Sojourn 28-day Iceland/Norway cruise with stops in Scotland and Amsterdam.  I believe you're on the following cruise?  Yes, it has been a long time, in fact it was on that other lux line 😄

@SLSD Thank you for such a detailed, informative and useful running diary of your trip.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!  Btw, I'm like you in that I'm always cognizant of not over-doing a good thing and getting jaded, but when it comes to cruising that hasn't happened to me yet. Maybe you should up your cruising to twice a year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

@SLSD Thank you for such a detailed, informative and useful running diary of your trip.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!  Btw, I'm like you in that I'm always cognizant of not over-doing a good thing and getting jaded, but when it comes to cruising that hasn't happened to me yet. Maybe you should up your cruising to twice a year!

12 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

The other issue we have is carving out enough time to cruise!!  We have a pretty full life without cruising.  We WILL start looking at itineraries.  I am finding the SB website frustrating.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Hi, Nancy! We're on the June 14 -> July 12, 2025 Sojourn 28-day Iceland/Norway cruise with stops in Scotland and Amsterdam.  I believe you're on the following cruise?  Yes, it has been a long time, in fact it was on that other lux line 😄

I’m on the following cruise…we seems to like similar itineraries..(again this fall) as usual, we’re like 2 ships passing through the night…yes, that other ship! 😃

you've picked 2 great itineraries.

nancy 

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

A tip for those going on a cruise longer than 7 days, but with at least some 7 day segments involved.  Try to make all of your Solis reservations BEFORE you leave for your cruise.  Once you get on the ship, SB will not let you make Solis reservations beyond the segment you are on.  In other words, if you start out with a 7 day segment, you will not be able to make an onboard reservation for your next segment until the end of the 7 day segment.  It doesn't really make sense to me--but that is how it is.  

I never worried much about making reservations at Solis.  I figured I would make the additional reservations while onboard.  Not so easy because of their policy.  We did end up with three dinners at Solis, but should have had four.  I'm sure I could have made another reservation if I had put in a bit of effort, but it just didn't seem worth the time.  

Don't make my mistake.  Make all of your reservations early--before your cruise.  

Edited by SLSD

Posted (edited)

I did miss the Napa Burger.  I think it was made with waygu beef and the burgers onboard now are made with just regular beef.  They just don't hold a candle to the Napa Burgers, in my opinion.  They were ok burgers, but not nearly as good.    

Edited by SLSD

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

Entertainment

The entertainment is ok.  I won't rave about it, but it was ok.  I question the decision to have only one male and one female singer onboard.  I think their programs lacked something as those two sang every song.  The dancers were exceptional and fun to watch.  As I said above in the thread, the VERY BEST  show was an impromptu show put together in just a few hours.  I'm not entirely sure that Belinda King is earning her dollars when an impromptu show is the best.  I may be an outlier with this opinion.  

I agree with your comment about the entertainment cast having just two singers.  I spent 110 days on the Odyssey earlier this year.  For the first 30 days we had the traditional cast consisting of 4 singers (2 male and 2 female) and 2 dancers.  For the last 80 days we had a new cast with 2 singers and 6 dancers.  While all the entertainers were talented, I found the performances lacking.  Two singers cannot provide the harmonies and depth of sound that 4 can.  Six dancers on the small stage available was for my taste too crowded and busy.  I actually thought it was a disservice to the dancers because it made it difficult for them to shine.  I have read that on some of the cruises now a new concept is being tried with 6 performers who both sing and dance.  I'll be on the Quest soon and if that's the format of the cast I shall be interested to see how that works.

Thank you for your dedication to writing about your cruise.  I've enjoyed reading your comments and looking at your photos.  They brought back many memories of my visits to some of those places.

• Like 2

Thanks for the excellent closing comments, SLSD, glad you had a wonderful cruise.

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I do think there is a bit too much repetition, which is really noticeable on a 28 day cruise.  

I have been waiting for this comment. Repetition was noticeable on our 14 day cruise and you were on twice as long.

I've been disappointed with Seabourn's pancakes, too. I like most everything else.

34 minutes ago, Sunviking said:

I agree with your comment about the entertainment cast having just two singers.  I spent 110 days on the Odyssey earlier this year.  For the first 30 days we had the traditional cast consisting of 4 singers (2 male and 2 female) and 2 dancers.  For the last 80 days we had a new cast with 2 singers and 6 dancers.  While all the entertainers were talented, I found the performances lacking.  Two singers cannot provide the harmonies and depth of sound that 4 can.  Six dancers on the small stage available was for my taste too crowded and busy.  I actually thought it was a disservice to the dancers because it made it difficult for them to shine.  I have read that on some of the cruises now a new concept is being tried with 6 performers who both sing and dance.  I'll be on the Quest soon and if that's the format of the cast I shall be interested to see how that works.

Thank you for your dedication to writing about your cruise.  I've enjoyed reading your comments and looking at your photos.  They brought back many memories of my visits to some of those places.

Yes, we were told that SB is going to a cast of singer/dancers--people who can do both.  I think we are going to lose some of the superb dancers who are not singers.  I really question if this is going to give us better entertainment.  And I agree that six dancers was at least two too many on the small stage.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, whogo said:

Thanks for the excellent closing comments, SLSD, glad you had a wonderful cruise.

I have been waiting for this comment. Repetition was noticeable on our 14 day cruise and you were on twice as long.

I've been disappointed with Seabourn's pancakes, too. I like most everything else.

I'm glad that someone agrees with me about the pancakes.  There are EXCELLENT mixes out there for pancakes (even though from scratch is usually better).  These pancakes were obviously premade and held for a while.  Don't order them everyone!

Yes, the repetition got to me a bit.  I guess if we had gone to the Colonnade for some dinners, we could have avoided that.  If we had been on a warm weather cruise with outdoor dining guaranteed comfortable, that might have been an option for us.  We were willing to brave some somewhat cold weather for Earth and Ocean.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Yes, the repetition got to me a bit.  I guess if we had gone to the Colonnade for some dinners, we could have avoided that.

I'd also encourage you to try the sushi at the Club, either as an extended appetizer or as a full meal.  If you restrict yourself from going to both the Colonnade and the Club, you're literally leaving a lot on the table.