Cruise Addicts R Us

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The choice of cruising from the UK was enormous - Scandinavia (Hurtigruten), Europe with Fred Olsen Cruises, Rivers of Europe cruises, plus lots of small ships. I am a destination cruiser.

It is a privileged spot to cruise from, and we are doing two cruises from there next year. They have a geographic advantage though. From the east coast here, 3 days cruising will get you to a port in NZ or New Caledonia. Three days from Southampton will get you to Ireland, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, Canary Islands, Spain, Portugal. We can never compete with that. We have long distances between ports and sea days instead - some love it that way.

• Like 3

I don't mind sea days, in fact think their a vital part of cruising for us.

We cruise to relax, and be pressure free, if your doing ports everyday, it's not relaxing.

On a couple of cruises with several ports in a row, we have skipped a port, it just gets to tiring.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

We cruise to relax, and be pressure free, if your doing ports everyday, it's not relaxing.

On a couple of cruises with several ports in a row, we have skipped a port, it just gets to tiring.

and gives you less time to hit the bar(s)! 😁

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Muffinz said:

We've booked the Hilton in George St for 2 nights before our cruise in December - apparently the light rail / tram stops outside and goes straight to CQ 👍

Yes, it's easy to get on the light rail with luggage. No steps to manoeuvre and a place just inside you can sit with the luggage. The Hilton is also opposite the Queen Victoria Building. You should make some time to see it inside.

17 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

That's mean Geoff, that's mean.🤣

But sooooo true.  After this season there only seems to be boutique (expensive) cruises to take from Melb.  And then only if they can be done B2B eg Silversea.

This season we do have Norwegian Sun for a couple of B2Bs which is mid range.  Oh and Disney.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 3:13 AM, MMDown Under said:

i would be a cruise addict if Australia was offered more exciting cruises.

I confess I am a cruise addict I don't  need a destination. 

I just love being on the ship and looking out to sea!

I have booked a few of those 3 nighters to no where just to be on board! 

images(1)(23).jpeg.cea0a307c82c8903c7e46172ac4e314a.jpeg

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

I confess I am a cruise addict I don't  need a destination. 

I just love being on the ship and looking out to sea!

I have booked a few of those 3 nighters to no where just to be on board! 

images(1)(23).jpeg.cea0a307c82c8903c7e46172ac4e314a.jpeg

you are definitely a cruise addict!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hubby and I are lucky.  We cruise 4 -6 times a year from Sydney.  Don't really mind where the cruise is going, just love the whole cruise experience.   During winter we cruise with P&O or Carnival,  but cruise RCI, Princess and Celebrity when they are here.  Get friends to drive us to train station, about 5 minutes away, train takes an hour to get to Circular Quay,  We are usually onboard around 11.30.  At end of cruise, we are back in our house by 9.30am.  I guess the ease and convenience is why we are cruiseaholics.  

• Like 6

Also like to just be on board looking out to the sea, but also enjoy seeing different ports and sadly that is where we are often let down.

Really enjoy the night activities, going out for dinner watching a show, seeing a band or a comedian every night all within walking distance from your room, what's not to love.

We can do all of this from home but not all activities are so close or already paid for as on a cruise.

The only downside now for us is all the b.s. in getting to a cruise port.

Daz

• Like 2

On 9/20/2024 at 5:18 AM, Ozwoody said:

Sea days are my favourite, I have been know to stay on board rather than do a shore excursion in order to maximise my sea days.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Sea days are my favourite, I have been know to stay on board rather than do a shore excursion in order to maximise my sea days.  

The best part of it, (sea days in port), is that you almost have the boat to yourselves.😁

• Like 4

I love new ports, part of the whole reason for spreading your wings and travelling. We will have a day in Newcastle in Feb, but will still go ashore to play tourist and walk-off some eggs benny.

To date, there are only a couple of ports we would stay aboard, plus a few others that we have done a few times that we would ditch if the weather was extreme. I love the balance of experiencing new places as well as having relaxing sea days to join them together. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, ddvgww said:

Hubby and I are lucky.  We cruise 4 -6 times a year from Sydney.  Don't really mind where the cruise is going, just love the whole cruise experience.   During winter we cruise with P&O or Carnival,  but cruise RCI, Princess and Celebrity when they are here.  Get friends to drive us to train station, about 5 minutes away, train takes an hour to get to Circular Quay,  We are usually onboard around 11.30.  At end of cruise, we are back in our house by 9.30am.  I guess the ease and convenience is why we are cruiseaholics.  

We are lucky too, but that is just from the very minor cost in getting to OPT. 100m walk to our local station, then approx 3hrs over 3 trains which feels as good as door to door. For a few extra dollars, we are train - bus - plane to Brisbane in less than 3hrs, so are pretty happy that offers more options. Still happy to be cruising from Sydney & Brisbane, but now looking for our winter holidays to be done in the northern hemisphere. Carnival and P&O hold no interest for us any more, and will be even less when the two become one. We have shorties for both brands in Feb, as they bookend a longer Princess one, but I think I would rather lose my addict status than to book any more with them.

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

now looking for our winter holidays to be done in the northern hemisphere

Great minds think alike. After nine local cruises with P&O and three with Carnival I have no desire to invest any more time with either of them. Tempus fugit and all that.

I've lined up an Alaskan cruise on Sapphire for August 2025 and a Norway cruise on Sky Princess for June 2026. In between I'll be on an ever hopeful lookout for last minute bargains on either Princess or RCL from any Oz port. 🤑

The main problem is how much I hate long distance flying, but if there is a cruise at the end I'm pretty sure that can be overcome.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

The best part of it, (sea days in port), is that you almost have the boat to yourselves.😁

We spoke to some people on our 2018 cruise (Sydney to Port Douglas return) that were staying on the ship the whole cruise.... they were Aussies and said they'd been to all the ports and just wanted to enjoy the ship...

• Like 3