Getting back on the ship after a port- license passport?

5 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Maybe it was just the non-Americans.  My wife is Canadian and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.  I remember them holding some if not all Passports. 

That would make sense. Carnival wanted us aboard spending money and passports took second tier.
 Know that my wife and I wouldn't leave the driveway without passports, carry a color copy of each in our bag and have images of them and our Texas DL emailed to ourselves and on Google Drive.
 I'm 65, I can remember old girlfriends phone numbers and need my phone app to find my car at Target, it's not just you!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's not about proximity to Russia.

I'm just reporting what the border security person told me and I believed him.  Many, many times I've never been asked to show anything other than my cruise card, including in other countries.  Notwithstanding, I know to always take my DL with me anyway.  This particular time, I accidentally did not pack it.

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

Curious about this. I have cruised 46 times on Carnival/Royal since the Mardi Gras in 1976 and have not experienced this.
 Can you be specific as to the port of departure and agenda?

I've had the cruise line collect my passport twice.  Once during a cruise that stopped in Russia.  Can't recall the other.

15 hours ago, rugerdog said:

I've had the cruise line collect my passport twice.  Once during a cruise that stopped in Russia.  Can't recall the other.

We had ours collected once by HAL in the Eastern Mediterranean. We temporarily had them back as they were needed for getting off in Croatia.

Russia requires them. Did you get them back to go to port in Russia?

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2024 at 8:45 PM, BallFour4 said:

Curious about this. I have cruised 46 times on Carnival/Royal since the Mardi Gras in 1976 and have not experienced this.
 Can you be specific as to the port of departure and agenda?

We just got off the Legend in Dover doing a B2B (7/28-8/9 & 8/9-8/18.)  They collected everyone's passwords on this cruise (8/9-8/18) because it was going to the Republic of Ireland (Cobh and Dun Laoghaire, but couldn't tender into Dun Laoghaire due to roughseas).  The passports were available for pick-up the day after we were supposed to visit Dun Laoghaire, with a stamp from Cobh (the first time I've had had a passport stamped since pre-covid). We also visited Belfast, Northern Ireland on this cruise, but our passports had already been returned before we arrived there. 

Passports were NOT collected on the 7/28-8/9 cruise. 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

We just got off the Legend in Dover doing a B2B (7/28-8/9 & 8/9-8/18.)  They collected everyone's passwords on this cruise (8/9-8/18) because it was going to the Republic of Ireland (Cobh and Dun Laoghaire, but couldn't tender into Dun Laoghaire due to roughseas).  The passports were available for pick-up the day after we were supposed to visit Dun Laoghaire, with a stamp from Cobh (the first time I've had had a passport stamped since pre-covid). We also visited Belfast, Northern Ireland on this cruise, but our passports had already been returned before we arrived there. 

Passports were NOT collected on the 7/28-8/9 cruise. 

I would never give anybody my password. 🤪

• Haha 3

I thought they were collecting them from everyone, but now that I read the email again it's only for "all non-European region guest"

To prepare for immigration processing in Dun Laoghaire (Dublin), Ireland, we will be collecting passports for all non-European region guests during the check-in process at the cruise terminal in Dover. A receipt will be provided for each passport, and details about re-distribution will be provided on board.

10 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:
11 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I would never give anybody my password. 🤪

10 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

You would be flying a long way to not get on a cruise just because you wouldn't give them your passport. 

I think this was a bit tongue in cheek since you'd inadvertently typed "passWORD" rather than "passPORT".

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 5:45 AM, ontheweb said:

Russia requires them. Did you get them back to go to port in Russia?

I honestly cannot remember.  I do recall they had Russian agents on board to individually clear passengers that were going ashore, so I suppose we would have needed our passports at that point.

On 8/16/2024 at 6:16 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

Passport and a credit card on me whenever I get off the ship anywhere. I consider them my skeleton key of travel and will take me anywhere I want to go on this planet.

I find carrying a passport odd, because I never do it in New York State (incl NYC) where I live, and I've nver been asked to show it in the United States.  If I ever get stranded from the ship in Western Europe or the Caribbean,  I'd assume Carnival would find a way to get my passport to me, and I'd get back to the United States with minor hassles. I do carry my Drivers License. 

• Thanks 1