Princess Plus: Is it wrong to get my 2 daily premium desserts . . .

1 hour ago, fpfryer said:

We had Plus on our recent Discovery Cruise.  I wish there had been better information on where to get these specialty desserts.   We got 2 or 3 of the sundaes at the Gelato place, but other than that, I don't know where these desserts were.  As someone above stated, the chocolate and sprinkles were for looks only.  I love desserts but certainly don't need them for my "girly" figure 😜  The desserts I tried at the buffet and MDR were nothing special enough that I would have wanted it again.  

As for the two casual meals that came with plus, we ate at the sit-down pizza restaurant twice and our app showed we still had two left.  I don't understand that either.

They will allow you to split a casual meal. We have done that on our last 3 cruises 

1 minute ago, paddingtonbear said:

I was in Spain recently and I wanted a paella but they only made them for 2 people.  The waiter asked me to wait a bit and see if anyone else wanted the same.  About 10 mins later he asked if I wanted to share with a woman at another table.  Everybody was happy!

I hope dessert was enjoyed LOL

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

They will allow you to split a casual meal. We have done that on our last 3 cruises 

It's interesting because some people haven't been allowed to split a casual meal on some ships.  It all depends on the crew at the time I think.  Fabulous idea though!

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

I hope dessert was enjoyed LOL

Yes, sorry I was off topic but it just goes to show that there are sensible people around the world in restaurant-land that think outside the box to keep the customer happy. 

I tried each of the cakes, but didn't finish any of them. Never got around to trying the ice cream sundaes. Next time. But in answer to the OP's question. If you want to indulge in two desserts per day and don't want to finish them, go for it! You paid for them. I think Princess knowingly makes them way too big for the Wow factor. I'm pretty sure they don't expect most people to eat the whole thing. 

• Like 1

The red velvet cake was missing a cream cheese frosting.

The chocolate cake had a really weird texture (almost sandy) and “wrong” frosting.  

There is no longer the carrot cake (which I had heard was the best of the three).  Instead, there is a black forest cake….that I did not try.

It could be that I was not cruising in the US.  

I have experienced several rotations of the celebration chocolate cake.  They replaced the mousse between the layers.  I think this is an improvement.  

Several of the MDR desserts were better than any of these specialty ones.  I had more than one “volcano” or make your own sundae in the MDR.  I do miss the varied assortment of ice cream flavors they used to have; along with the sorbets they used to serve between courses.  

Didn’t see the Tyra Banks ice cream anywhere.  

Oh the memories of long lost Princess.

If you know ahead of time you won’t finish that super huge slice of mediocre cake, why waste the food?  (I hate seeing such huge amounts of food wasted on cruises and all-inclusive hotels).  You can pick one or two, in my opinion much better tasting pastries or desserts, from the International Cafe. IMO, those are calories better spent!

16 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

If you know ahead of time you won’t finish that super huge slice of mediocre cake, why waste the food?  (I hate seeing such huge amounts of food wasted on cruises and all-inclusive hotels).  You can pick one or two, in my opinion much better tasting pastries or desserts, from the International Cafe. IMO, those are calories better spent!

I dislike wasting food also but if you want to try a slice of their special cakes, they don't leave you any option. 

I don't expect any of them to be all that special but I'll try a few just to see want others are talking about. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

If someone has paid for the package and they want to try it then why not? The cruiseline should serve smaller slices. What do you think will happen to the cake if no one orders it… 🗑️

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If someone has paid for the package and they want to try it then why not? The cruiseline should serve smaller slices. What do you think will happen to the cake if no one orders it… 🗑️

The same thing that happens to all the uneaten Gelato.  

In the dumpster. 

• Like 1

If someone has paid for the package and they want to try it then why not? The cruiseline should serve smaller slices. What do you think will happen to the cake if no one orders

Was hoping it might go to the crew rather than into the trash.way too much food waste on cruise ships. 

12 minutes ago, Thunderbird19 said:

If someone has paid for the package and they want to try it then why not? The cruiseline should serve smaller slices. What do you think will happen to the cake if no one orders

Was hoping it might go to the crew rather than into the trash.way too much food waste on cruise ships. 

You really want to take uneaten food from someone’s used plate and give it to crew ?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, memoak said:

You really want to take uneaten food from someone’s used plate and give it to crew ?  

OMG, No!  That should not ever happen.   To be fair, I think they were talking about unserved food (like cake no one orders).   

• Thanks 1

“You really want to take uneaten food from someone’s used plate and give it to crew ?”

Come on, of course not!  But uneaten extra food from restaurants, Cafe, etc seems wasteful to just throw it out.   Thank you yo dubs for realizing that!

Edited by Thunderbird19

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

OMG, No!  That should not ever happen.   To be fair, I think they were talking about unserved food (like cake no one orders).   

So all those things sitting in the IC for hours should be passed out ?  Those things in the buffer that are partial trays. I don’t think so. I also bothered by folks who take one of everything from the buffet and throw 3/4 of it away. I have seen many people grab 4-5 sandwiches take one bite of each and throw the rest away. 

Edited by memoak

This is my last post on this thread.  I am involved in a food rescue organization here in metro Phoenix that picks up delicious, edible product from participating restaurants & food vendors and promptly and safely distributes it to places and individuals that need it and appreciate it.  We also support the national “To Good To Go” organization to stop good from going to waste. There are guidelines to follow on things that may be “sitting”  for a while but are still safe and yummy to eat. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, memoak said:

So all those things sitting in the IC for hours should be passed out ?  Those things in the buffer that are partial trays. I don’t think so. I also bothered by folks who take one of everything from the buffet and throw 3/4 of it away. I have seen many people grab 4-5 sandwiches take one bite of each and throw the rest away. 

I am not really proposing any leftovers be given to staff.   I was simply trying to say the person you quoted was not saying to give half eaten food to staff.  Something I think we can all agree about.  Though I have seen posters talk about bringing their uneaten deserts to give to their cabin Stewarts.  Not a good look, IMO.  

That old saying about taking what you want and eating what you take might not be followed by those who like to "sample" as it is often put in these boards.  At least folks are not putting the sandwiches with a bite missing back on the serving line!  🙂

30 minutes ago, Thunderbird19 said:

This is my last post on this thread.  I am involved in a food rescue organization here in metro Phoenix that picks up delicious, edible product from participating restaurants & food vendors and promptly and safely distributes it to places and individuals that need it and appreciate it.  We also support the national “To Good To Go” organization to stop good from going to waste. There are guidelines to follow on things that may be “sitting”  for a while but are still safe and yummy to eat. 

I do admire programs like that. However I see a big difference between feedin homeless and underemployed and the crew members who have a very nice crew buffet and yes I have eaten there in the past 

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I am not really proposing any leftovers be given to staff.   I was simply trying to say the person you quoted was not saying to give half eaten food to staff.  Something I think we can all agree about.  Though I have seen posters talk about bringing their uneaten deserts to give to their cabin Stewarts.  Not a good look, IMO.  

That old saying about taking what you want and eating what you take might not be followed by those who like to "sample" as it is often put in these boards.  At least folks are not putting the sandwiches with a bite missing back on the serving line!  🙂

Are you sure they are not ?

On 8/23/2024 at 10:46 PM, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak, if your only going to order one dessert on your next cruise my I suggest my go to dessert

volcano 😋 see photo 

The Captain of The Rowboat, Tony

DSCN1172.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

Volcano is free on children's menu. 

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

That old saying about taking what you want and eating what you take might not be followed by those who like to "sample" as it is often put in these boards.

I' wondering how much food is now wasted on the Sun Princess since they now serve food to you at the buffet? I'm a person that takes a little of everything but I eat what I take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

I' wondering how much food is now wasted on the Sun Princess since they now serve food to you at the buffet? I'm a person that takes a little of everything but I eat what I take. 

Yes, sometimes servers don’t understand what a “small” amount is. 

• Like 1

From a kitchen tour, we were told, the left over food is grounded up and at certain ocean areas they are able to released into the ocean for the fish.  The chef said “it is a circle of life - you eat the food, the fish eat the food and you eat the fish”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

Yes, sometimes servers don’t understand what a “small” amount is. 

They're conditioned to serve large portions to all Americans... 😉

3 hours ago, phabric said:

From a kitchen tour, we were told, the left over food is grounded up and at certain ocean areas they are able to released into the ocean for the fish.  The chef said “it is a circle of life - you eat the food, the fish eat the food and you eat the fish”.

And if you happen to drown in the ocean, the fish eat you.

Edited by 555
  • Haha 1