Finding a bag to carry medical equipment

Posted (edited)

For the first time I will need to take a cpap and tens machine.   I would also like to put all medications in the bag.  The bag that came with the cpap not large enough for both.   We usually travel for 4 weeks and  have a carry on plus backpack so I don’t want a giant bag.   Any suggestions?   Thanks

Edited by oldfashioncruiser

1 hour ago, oldfashioncruiser said:

For the first time I will need to take a cpap and tens machine.   I would also like to put all medications in the bag.  The bag that came with the cpap not large enough for both.   We usually travel for 4 weeks and  have a carry on plus backpack so I don’t want a giant bag.   Any suggestions?   Thanks

Amazon

Posted (edited)

Also note that the cruise line will provide the necessary extension cord and distilled water for you.  No need to bring any of that.  Just contact the special needs department prior to your cruise to confirm or, failing that, simply go to guest services once you board and your stateroom attendant will provide it in your stateroom a n/c.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Also note that the cruise line will provide the necessary extension cord and distilled water for you.  No need to bring any of that.  Just contact the special needs department prior to your cruise to confirm or, failing that, simply go to guest services once you board and your stateroom attendant will provide it in your stateroom a n/c.

Depends on the cruise line. Some cruise lines charge for distilled water, some don't provide it at all. I also would bring my own cord. Personally, I would carry each medical device separately, in their own carrying case. If you are flying (in the US), medical equipment is exempt from the carryon/personal device rules, but must be in their own bag. If anything non-medical is in the bag, it is considered carryon. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Depends on the cruise line. Some cruise lines charge for distilled water, some don't provide it at all. I also would bring my own cord. 

My understanding is that most of the mass market lines provide this, but I guess I should have clarified that what is provided may vary by cruise line. That is, however, why I suggested contacting the cruise line to confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It's not rocket science: pile your CPAP equipment, Tens (in its case), and bag of meds together and measure the dimensions. Then go online for CPAP travel bags to find one big enough.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My understanding is that most of the mass market lines provide this, but I guess I should have clarified that what is provided may vary by cruise line. That is, however, why I suggested contacting the cruise line to confirm.

Of the cruise lines I have travelled, Princess, Disney, Norwegian, Celebrity, and RCI will provide distilled water at no charge (or at least did at the time of sailing). Carnival and HAL (again, at the time I sailed them) had a charge. Virgin was the only cruise line to flat out tell me that they do not provide it at all, but I was welcome to carry on a sealed gallon for my use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldfashioncruiser said:

Hello @oldfashioncruiser

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum where it will be on topic. Your fellow Cruise Critic members with ability differences of all types share their cruise advice & experiences there as well as the Europe Disabled Cruising subforum.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

On 8/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, mom says said:

It's not rocket science: pile your CPAP equipment, Tens (in its case), and bag of meds together and measure the dimensions. Then go online for CPAP travel bags to find one big enough.

I know that!    You don’t have to be rude.    I was asking if anyone knew of a bag that would be good for traveling.  I have looked online several times and there are so many choices.  Figured someone here has a great bag they could recommend

Just find a light weight duffel bag on Amazon that will hold what you need. Be sure ONLY medical supplies/equipment is inside, and label the bag as such. That way there is no extra charge to take this onboard as part of your carry-on. NEVER check this stuff! I made a laminated label I got off the internet (Google Images) to find one that I printed on my own computer.

• Thanks 1

You might want to consider a 19" hard side carryon to protect your equipment as people are not gentle when they put things in overhead bins in case you need to put your things into one. The wheeled ones are easy to use.  I advise 19" as many that are labeled as approved by the airlines are too big with the wheels to fit the size checking box the airlines sometimes use so they might make you gate check (I don't know if they would do that for medical equipment, but I would worry).  Hope you find something that works for you.

3 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

You might want to consider a 19" hard side carryon to protect your equipment as people are not gentle when they put things in overhead bins in case you need to put your things into one. The wheeled ones are easy to use.  I advise 19" as many that are labeled as approved by the airlines are too big with the wheels to fit the size checking box the airlines sometimes use so they might make you gate check (I don't know if they would do that for medical equipment, but I would worry).  Hope you find something that works for you.

I already will have my wheeled carryon.   Don’t think I want two.   But thanks for the suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

Look for a photographer's bag/backpack. The interiors are padded and configurable with padded dividers, and offer much more protection than the flimsy carry cases that come with cpap machines.  Look for one that has a sleeve/strap that will slide over the extended handle of your wheeled carryon.  I've used one in past travels to carry my cpap machine, along with some other items. Everything had its own padded compartment.  If you're flying within/from the US, per the ADA, durable medical devices don't count against your carryon allowance. Someone suggested that if other items were in the bag, it would be considered a carry on and would count against your carry on allowance.  That might be true these days, I haven't flown in 4+ years.  Sorry, I don't have a brand name/model for you, but Amazon has many examples.  

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.  

• Like 2