Tennis Shoes???

I have been depressed all morning, matter of fact I was in tears earlier this morning. I just returned from my orthopedic surgeon, I had ruptured my achille's tendon the end of January and had to have it surgically reattached. The doctor said I had the worse kind of rupture and it will just take a long time for it to heal. He has cleared me to wear shoes, out of my orthopedic walking boot, but only supportive tennis shoes, absolutely no heels or sandals. Our cruise is in June, I don't want to be stuck in tennis shoes the whole cruise. I guess I'm just wanting some sympathy, received none from my husband this morning!!!!:(

Not even a pair of heavy walking sandals?? Ouch! I do feel your pain (except for the "you're going on a cruise and I'm not" part!) Maybe you could research some other kinds of shoes that might be as supportive as your doctor (and your tendon!) require, but are prettier (and airier!) than sneakers. Good luck!

Oh, that sucks! I can kind of relate, though my problem is not nearly as bad as yours. I have a heel spur and I've tried everything and it seems the only thing that makes it better is to wear heel cups with my shoes. Heel cups do not go with sandals! Wah. Though I do plan to suffer through some of it, there are times I'll have no choice but to wear tennies.

So I can totally sympathize with you on the clunky shoes, but I feel even worse for you because I know you must have been in some massive pain! :eek:

Feel better and try to find some really cute girly-girl tennies.

I broke my foot last September and walked on it for a month before it was diagnosed correctly (after 2 doctor visits)..one cruise ( a week after it was broken I had to wear a sock the whole time..I was known as the Sock Girl, on the QM2 for 12 days), then the boot for the next cruise with a cast in between!!! The bones finally "knitted" by the end of March!! And it stills hurts!!!

Here's what I did...wore the boot and or sock and or cast on "the foot" and then wore a "regular shoe" on the other foot....just be sure that they are close in the same height..you can wear the tennis shoes during the day and the boot at night...to tell you the truth...even after the doctor told me I could get out of the boot it was generally more comfortable to wear it!!! Plus...you do get sympathy....:) Good luck and let me know if I can give you any other ideas...it has been a LONG road...I have found feet heal VERY slowly!!! LuAnn

Ahh...I'm so sorry!

But like Sassy said, propping your foot up on the lido deck with a foo foo is way more fun than at the office!

Plus, maybe if you take care of it really well, then by June, you might be cleared for cuter shoes!

As the saying goes, "Don't worry about it!" Go on your cruise. Wear the boot, tennis shoe, whatever on the "bad" foot. People will say, "Oh you poor dear" and then won't give it another thought. I know you are disappointed, but please do not let it ruin your cruise! :D Have fun! You will be fine!

In December tore the peroneal brevis tendon in my left ankle and was in a plaster cast six weeks. Yesterday the doc switched me to an bulky black ankle brace that looks roughly like a boot a Roman gladiator would have worn.

Although I do not share in common the unpleasant surgery you had, I do share you shoe problem. With the cast I had to wear a rather high platform shoe on my right foot, so that I wasn't moving lopsided. Now I have to wear a flat shoe because the new rig is much lower.

Gosh, I envy you going on a cruise! I wanted to do a May cruise, but fear tearing the tendon agian if I'm still in the "gladiator" brace.

All I can offer you is that if I were on the ship with you, I would fully understand your plight, no matter what shoes you have on either foot. Even if you had to wear Nike joggers or Merrell trail boots with your gown, I would understand.

Get well soon and have a full recovery. No matter what you wear, there surely will be folks on the cruise who have had ankle or foot damage and will understand your predicament. Have a great cruise.

I, too, broke my foot several years ago and had to wear a cast for 11 months and then a boot. During that period I went to 3 black-tie weddings, and in order to not make the cast/boot look too awful, I glitzed it up with glitter, sequins, velvet covers, etc. to match whatever dress I was wearing. Fortunately I found a pair of absolutely gorgeous sandals with a heel height the same as the cast/boot, and so one foot looked great and, at least, the other matched. At one of the weddings, my hand was also in a cast b/c the crutches and I had a misunderstanding while going up/down stairs. And my name is also

Lou Ann!

That is very surprising...especially there aren't that many people out there with our name!!!! Hopefully you are doing better! LuAnn (Does your foot start to ache when you stand (especially bare-foot) for any length of time?)

I understand your situation, too, as I had an inflammation of the tendon that goes across the bottom of the foot (the plantar fascia) in both feet and was also relegated to sneakers for quite a while. Fortunately, I didn't have to dress up much during that period. I know I became well-known at work for wearing my sneakers with everything.

Could you "doll up" a pair of sneakers with sequins, lace, etc as a lot of brides do? I've heard of it being done for outdoor weddings where secure footing is an issue, and for a bride to wear at the reception simply for the comfort!

Are you familiar with Dansko's? Give them a look and run it by your MD. just a thought....Good luck I am off work for my foot at the present for a few weeks. I hope you are back in Jimmy Choo's in no time.:D

I have been depressed all morning, matter of fact I was in tears earlier this morning. I just returned from my orthopedic surgeon, I had ruptured my achille's tendon the end of January and had to have it surgically reattached. The doctor said I had the worse kind of rupture and it will just take a long time for it to heal. He has cleared me to wear shoes, out of my orthopedic walking boot, but only supportive tennis shoes, absolutely no heels or sandals. Our cruise is in June, I don't want to be stuck in tennis shoes the whole cruise. I guess I'm just wanting some sympathy, received none from my husband this morning!!!!:(

Were you aware that Nike bought Cole Haan and has a brand of Cole Haan shoes with the Air Nike sole? So it is a tennis shoe on the bottom and a sandal on top.

SEARCH_A

www.ColeHaan.com

G.E.M...

arghhh, foot issues. I lived with them for years! Finally had surgery to release the tendon on the really bad foot. Then broke the same foot, badly, two years later.

Did the doctor give you some sort of foot/heel support gizmo? My "interim" device was called a foot corset...it was thick black nylon and laced up.

Anyway, wear that with your sneaker on one foot, and whatever pretty shoe you would normally wear on the other foot. People will know it is a war-wound and not assume you are fashion-challenged. :)

Tracy

(I'll send you mine if you would like...that is, if I can find it! :))

Wow I am sorry you have hurt your foot....

When I first read this all I could think about was the episode from the Cosby show where Claire broke her toe and she and Cliff (Bill Cosby..God bless that funny man) had a contest as to was the better dressed. She added all sorts or jewels, gliiter, etc on her "boot" and she won hands down.

Time to get the creative juices flowing and also I agree that take it easy and enjoy the cool breezes and foo foo drinks. Look at the bright side of things...you get to people watch, relax, and tan..don't forget the sunscreen:) I don't think anyone will give you any trouble and ya might get the attention you deserve I am sure!!

Take care..DI

Wow I am sorry you have hurt your foot....

When I first read this all I could think about was the episode from the Cosby show where Claire broke her toe and she and Cliff (Bill Cosby..God bless that funny man) had a contest as to was the better dressed. She added all sorts or jewels, gliiter, etc on her "boot" and she won hands down.

Time to get the creative juices flowing and also I agree that take it easy and enjoy the cool breezes and foo foo drinks. Look at the bright side of things...you get to people watch, relax, and tan..don't forget the sunscreen:) I don't think anyone will give you any trouble and ya might get the attention you deserve I am sure!!

Take care..DI

Yes, I remember that episode, it was great, I'll have to dress my tennis shoes up, thanks everyone for their suggestions:D :D

Depending on the need for support, there are some very atractive looking tennis shoe styles still being offered that come out of the 40's and 50's. They do not look like all of the clunky space shoe type sneakers that are so common today. Keeds makes a very plain and tasteful tennis shoe. Get them in matching colors and you will be quite sharp..

That is very surprising...especially there aren't that many people out there with our name!!!! Hopefully you are doing better! LuAnn (Does your foot start to ache when you stand (especially bare-foot) for any length of time?)

Only when it is cold, or going to rain (as if that happens a lot in AZ!). But I think I failed to mention that it was 19 years ago, and I can still remember the pain, and the cast, and the wheelchair, and the whatever else, as if it happened yesterday. Oh, and I have problems walking on inclines (think beach/sea shore). And the other part of that equation is that I was more than 40+++++++ years old.

My suggestion is that you should not break ANY bone after age 4!

Archived