Comments Needed for New Book

LauraS

- Why did you pick the last cruise you were on?

Itinerary and pricing.

- Which is your favorite cruise line?

Carnival, we've tried all the rest and keep coming back to the best.

- Was there any one thing (pricing, advertising slogan, or the ship itself?) that most influenced your decision?

Equal parts of: 1. Ports. The ship called on one that we had never been to, and two others that we had not visited in over ten years. 2. Had never sailed this specific ship. 3. Pricing. Best deal around for that specific week.

- Was there any one thing (pricing, advertising slogan, or the ship itself?) that most influenced your decision?

Our last cruise was on the Inspiration and it was actually plan C as we were originally booked for the 2nd year in a row on the Conquest but after it was moved to Galveston due to hurricane Katrina that was too far to drive so we switched. Location of the port was the main factor of our choice.

Carnival is our favorite cruise line. We feel like we get more bang for our buck and we can afford a balcony on Carnival. (we've been on RCI once and went right back to Carnival) We work really hard for 51 weeks a year and then Carnival treats us like a king and queen for one week annually and we love it!

Port location and pricing influence our choice the most. We're located in northwest GA and prefer to drive to the port instead of flying.

BTW we are in our mid 50's

We love the Spirit class ship. We sailed on the Pride last month and will sail on the Miracle in October. These cruises were selected solely on the class of ship. It handles smoke very well. Smoking areas can easily be avoided for those folks who have health problems.

Carnival is the only cruiseline we have sailed since 1982. Hubby started as a single cruiser back when Carnival cruises were more geared to singles. When we married and had a family, Carnival "evolved" with us to provide the cruising experience we needed. With our 23rd cruise booked. at this time, we have not seen any reason to change. However, if this is research and is to be an honest representation, we have been tempted lately to try a more upscale cruiseline only because of the quality of passengers that Carnival seems to cater to. Carnival needs to recognize that fact and strongly enforce their rules on board to prevent alienating loyal customers.

How the ship handles smoke for their non-smoking passengers.

Why did I pick the last cruise I was on?

This one is very easy to answer, I picked it because it was a Cruise Critic Host Cruise on the Grand Princess. But Laura already knew the answer to that one...;)

Which is my favorite Cruise Line?

Easy to answer that as well...Carnival. Having sailed on RCI, NCL, Celebrity, Princess and the now defunct Premier (Big Red Boat), I have experienced a number of different cruise line products. I prefer the relaxed atmosphere of a Carnival Cruise as well as the "themed" decor of Carnival's ships. I feel that Carnival has the best and widest variety of entertainment on their ships. I also feel that CCL provides a great value for your vacation dollar. Being a CCL past guest going back to 1992, I have noticed many upgrades in the onboard services provided, i.e.: food, bedding, service, staff uniforms and most recently the newly created Concierge Club providing Platinum Guests with many amenities! This recognition for past guests is something that many other cruise lines were providing and it is nice to see that CCL has finally implemented this as well.

Was there any one thing that most influenced my desicion?

I would have to say that pricing is the number one determiner for me. If I can take two inexpensive cruises as compared to one high end, pricey cruise there is not even a decision to be made...:D

Itinerary. We like to go to places where we have never been before.

Have no preference but like the bigger cruise lines.

Itinerary, then price.

~Why did I pick the last cruise I was on?

We last Cruised on the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach. Long Beach is about an hour from where we live making this itinerary very attractive to us. The Pride was relatively new at that time (we sailed on her 2nd round of the Mexican Riviera), which was exciting for us.

~Which is my favorite cruise line?

Carnival, Carnival, Carnival! Of course, we've never cruised another line...why mess with a good thing!!:p

~Was there any one thing thay influenced your decision?

I have to agree that pricing is a determining factor for us. However, I have found that Carnival offers not only great pricing, but a great environment. The cabins are spacious and comfortable, The food is outstanding, the public areas beautiful and the staff very accomodating.

Rock on Carnival!!!:D

I picked it because I had been on that ship (Voyager OTS) and itinerary twice before with my mom and we both loved it. My last cruise was my first cruise with my husband, and I felt confident that we'd have a great time since I had enjoyed the previous cruises so much before.

Royal Caribbean (It's the only one I've been on so far, though I'm booked for my first Carnival cruise this summer because of a buy-one-get-one-free coupon from a travel agent. I gave the coupon to my dad, who offered to pay for my brother to cruise so that I could use the free offer and the two of us could cruise together.)

My previous experience on Voyager OTS was the main deciding factor in booking the last cruise I took. My first two cruises were group ice skating cruises (I'm a figure skater.) on Voyager OTS and I loved it so much that I chose the same ship for my 3rd cruise.

Why did we pick the last cruise we were on?

We chose our itinerary because we are scuba divers and the itinerary took us to 3 perfect ports for diving. Also becasue we has already cruised with Carnival, and it was the right price!

Which is your favorite cruise line?

Well...Carnival, we haven't gone on any other lines. We have been blown away with the fun we've had on our past 2 cruises. And if it aint broke don't fix it!

Was there any one thing (pricing, advertising slogan, or the ship itself?) that most influenced your decision?

The customer service of the Personal Vacation Planners. We have had 2 now that are just phenominal.

I originally started booking my cruise with Norwegian but found the agents extremely rude. Ended up canceling the booking and calling Carnival. The Carnival agents were great and very competent.

Also the larger cabins and availability of balcony cabins on Carnival was an contributing factor for going with Carnival. Carnival also offered a military discount which was not only a pricing factor but show their support of our military efforts.

I would go with Carnival anytime.

The itinerary was great, and I have not done it before. Also, the ship was a new class for me, which was nice too. I also chose another cruise for itinerary, and ship.

Carnival is my favorite cruise line, and just below that Celebiry.

Well, pricing is certainly a factor, and overall good value is what I really look for. Non-stop food, activities, and fun is what I look for. Ports are good, ships are clean, and service is usually great.

The cruises that I have been on are the Destiny 99, the Mellinium 2001 and the Legend in the 2003. I was supposed to go on the Mercury to Alaska in 2004, but had to cancel. I have booked the Glory for this December.

I have enjoyed all my cruises. Carnival seem to be a better fit for me. The service and the food has always been great.

One thing in cruising which is a little disturbing to be is the movement towards class distinction. Special bar for people booking suites and now a ship that has a special pool. I will try to avoid these ships and maybe avoid those cruise lines.

Because of the itinerary. We cruised on the Golden Princess to Europe for 11 days. We liked the differing ports.

Carnival! It just fits our family's style better...more laid back like a vacation should be!

- Was there any one thing (pricing, advertising slogan, or the ship itself?) that most influenced your decision?On the last cruise, the ports of call made the decision for us. That probably is the deciding factor in who we cruise with. However, Carnival offers such a selection, that usually our decision falls with them. The last cruise with Princess just gave us a better choice than Carnival... although we didn't enjoy the ship or activities as much as our previous cruises with Carnival.

Thank you,

June

My last cruise was my first cruise back in July 2003 on the Inspiration (Exotic Western Carribbean). The reason I chose it: Pizza and Belize. I was looking for a trip for my 13 year old niece, she decided she wanted to try a cruise. She's a very picky eater (chicken nuggets, french fries, mozzarella sticks and pizza is pretty much her entire diet), so the 24 hour Pizza available on Carnival Ships meant she would not starve. I've always wanted to check out areas of Central America that are not Mexico and Belize appealed to me.

Seeing as I've only been on Carnival, I guess I can't really answer that, although I did like it enough the first time to book a second cruise on Carnival with my nephew.

Probably price more than anything. But also intinerary and reviews and advertising made Carnival seem like a much more kid friendly fleet.

Laura

Carnival Pride (March 2006) We chose this ship and itenerary because we had my father in law traveling with us. We love the Spirit Class, and the Mexican Riveara.

Carnival by far.

For this last cruise, it was the home port that influenced the desision. We are only a 5 hour drive from Long Beach.

Andy Vladimir and Bob Dickinson are doing a second edition of their book, SELLING THE SEA- An Inside Look at the Cruise Industry published by John Wiley. The new edition will be out next year.

They are interested in comments from you on how you chose which cruise line to sail on, and why. It would be great if you could include the following in your reply:

For purposes of publication, your names will be kept confidential.

As information the last edition was published 10 years ago sold over 30,000 copies -- mostly to people in the industry and so your thoughts are very important to them.

I'm sure this is unnecessary but I'll remind you that our Community Guidelines are in effect and we're looking forward to our members putting their best foot forward to help both Mr. Vladimir and Mr. Dickinson.

Stay on topic please!

Laura

I picked my last cruise because I was cruising with a group of teenagers, most who have never cruised before.... I wanted something with a lot of ports... I know how my daughter handles sea days which would be fine but did not know how the others would handle them... we had one who was bored on the two sea days we had.... The Miracle had two sea days and four port days. All of the ports were ones I hadn't been to yet and the excursions offered by Carnival were varied enough for our group.... We also chose this cruise over another line because of pricing.... the girls were fundraising this trip and were working on a budget.

I have to say Carnival is a great cruise line but they are also the only ones I have ever sailed with...

I will say we were not disappointed with the Miracle it was a wonderful ship .... The only thing that needs work, and I believe this is with any cruiseline, is the tendering process. Most ports were not bad but there has to be a better way...

We loved the gift-wrapped ship model commercials last Christmas!

So did we! I cut it out of the newspaper and hung it on my computer at work.

Carnival isn't pretentious, they are exactly what they advertise themselves to be: A FUN Vacation.

Ms B

Why did you pick the last cruise you were on?

Primarily I chose the Liberty because it was a new ship...I actually enjoy the ships and sea days more than the ports of call.

Carnival ... by far, the best overall value for my hard earned vacation dollar.

Was there any one thing (pricing, advertising slogan, or the ship itself?) that most influenced your decision?

I have always had wonderful experiences cruising with Carnival and as long as I continue to be satisfied with their product, I feel no need to venture to a competitor.

Cruised on the Miracle because departed from Tampa which allowed us to visit with friends before sailing, the itinerary - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, & Costa Maya, and because the price was right.

Have only sailed on Carnival.

Itinerary and price.

SOMEWHERE.....BEYOND THE SEA....

Whoever the ad agency is for that TV commercial........Carnival should be thanking them forever. Never have I seen an ad command so much attention. Long after the cruise, I still drop what I'm doing to watch it! Also love the gift-wrapped gold ship on the holiday card sent to me by my PVP!!

Favorite cruise line: Carnival. Have been on 2 Carnival and 1 Norwegian. Carnival is just more fun. And when I'm on vacation, I 'm all about fun. (work hard, play hard!)

Why I picked the last cruise: 1.) convenience of the port (Tampa), a city I'm very familiar with, 2.) the ports that seemed so unusual and interesting to me, 3.) because the ship just looked exquisite, with all its balconies and themed public areas, 4. ) Carnival was recommended to me by a travel and tourism college professor as being the most family-friendly (as I was taking my daughter this time), and the best value for the money. Guess what - she was right!

Thanks for asking!

It was a South American itinerary aboard Celebrity WITH a seminar at sea (think 30% write off)......our 20th cruise and our favorite.

Hands down Celebrity

We like the way the Celebrity runs their programs, and ships. The martinis are fantastic, the layout of the ship well done, and food very good considering how many people they serve. The staff is laid back but confident in their product and service.

We live close to Galveston (DFW area - 5 to 6 hour drive)

It still remains Carnival, even though their treatment of us during the FEMA debacle was a -10 on a scale of customer service. I will NEVER use a PVP again!

pricing, home port, ship does not really matter, it's a cruise!

I have a group of 18 booked on the Carnival Liberty for Jan. 20 of '07, so I have not abandoned CCL, but I will never be an apologist for them. If they do great things, I will give them great reviews. If they are are wrong, I will call them on it, and will not back down.

We had always wanted to go on a cruise, but weren't sure we'd like it. So we chose a smaller ship, with a short itinerary. To get our feet wet, so to speak. We're hooked now.

We fell in love with the Celebration, so obviously it's Carnival.

It was the total ship package - JAX, which is an hour's flight from us, the Bahamas itinerary combined with a short cruise. The crew of the Celebration is what will keep us coming back. We're planning another cruise already, I hope the crew of the next ship is as charming and wonderful.

After 21 Carnival cruises, I wanted to try RCI. We chose the Grandeur of the Seas because it was repositioned to Tampa following Hurricane Katrina. Because we live in Tampa, a five-day post Christmas trip to the Western Caribbean was just the right length and just the right time for us to take a quick vacation.

Carnival is still my favorite cruise line. Although, I did like having a more subdued atmosphere where the teens and pre-teens were better behaved on the Grandeur. Cruise personnel were very quick to approach children who were in the wrong place or acting inappropriately. That was a nice change. However, Carnival's food far surpassed the RCI fare on the Grandeur, and the entertainment is much better on Carnival. I enjoy the Fun Ship atmosphere on Carnival ships. It's also a very comfortable atmosphere, and when I step on board a Carnival ship, I always feel like I'm home.

We are planning our next cruise on Carnival. We were considering taking another line to Alaska, but we know that this trip will cost about twice what our Caribbean trips usually cost. If we are spending that much money on our next cruise, we want to cruise on the line that we already know we will enjoy. Carnival will absolutely provide us with a package (food, entertainment, atmosphere) that will make our first trip to Alaska a very special one.

Archived