Another dining room attire question......

Fun~N~Sun

I skipped from the first page to the last but wanted to throw my opinion out there anyway. The type of clothing you refer to (the original poster, I mean) sounds fine. I think that when done correctly, it looks VERY attractive. That is not looking sloppy or uncasual or anything. The only thing I think may look funny are his shoes. How about some nice shoes instead of sandals? I only say that because I think it looks funny when people wear sandals with nicer clothes.

Either way, I think he will look just fine. It's ashame he's not on my cruise in June. :eek::D

In 2001 when three of my family members (my father, mother, and brother) were diagnosed with cancer at the same time I made some monumental life changes. I decided then and there the little things in life didn't matter any more and not to be so judgemental against others.

So... you think this gives you card-blanch to do what you want when you want... do you think you are the only one who has dealt with life crisis...?

My brother died of cancer when he was 31... does that mean I can say, "screw everyone and every thing... I just learned a hard life lesson..."

Good manors has nothing to do with life and death situations...

You have come up with a very poor excuse for doing what you want without regard to others...

I don't buy it...

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

How is this different than what I described....slacks and a neatly ironed buttton up shirt, sandals....if this is not "casual resort wear" I guess the islands and tropics are not the laid back, easy going atmosphere I have heard of all my life or saw in the Bahamas.

If you are staying at a resort in the islands that has a casual restauran, that is different, and not the topic of this discussion.

A casual island restaurant is not the formal dining room on a cruise ship. Some people apparently equate casual dress with being on vacation, which I personally do not understand. Clothes that look nice and fit well are just as comfortable; for those that do not care to dress up a bit, there are lots of casual dining option. The cruise line offers this to provide all of their passengers with a dining experience they will enjoy.

I think cargo pants look sloppy period, and an open shirt adds to that. I agree with Cotton that the look is not appropriate for the occasion but it seems obvious from your posts you are really interested in getting agreement, not opinions from those have cruised.

When I took my nephew (19) on a cruise with me last year, he dressed nicely for dinner every evening in dress slacks, shirt, etc. He even put on a tie several nights with no input from me. He is a surfer with long blonde hair, tattoos and earrings. He dressed neatly and he looked great! He did not have to be told that the occasion and the environment dictate appropriate dress.

He changed after dinner to hit the clubs.

Carnival has a published dress code. Those that choose to ignore it (and there were unfortunately many of them on my last CCL cruise) simply cheapen the experience for everyone else that does enjoy this aspect of cruising.

Time to resurrect a post from a wise poster:

Originally Posted by Blazerboy

(Caveat: Rant coming on. A stream-of-consciousness diatribe spurred on by the never-ending clothing wars. If it matters to anyone, I don't think it'll change any minds, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest- Happy cruising everyone, and remember what is so often posted on these boards: the debates that rage on here are hopefully a small part, or no part at all, of your cruise experience! :) )

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

I think this is one of those "moved" threads.

From what the OP describes, I see no problem with it if it is done neatly. I'm not sure about the sandals, I don't recall ever reading anything about sandals on men, they sound OK to me.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be appropriate for dinner, he won't be the worst dressed by far. It's his cruise, don't make it unenjoyable for him. But, sooner or later he will probably need some nicer clothes. Might want to give him the option of working on his wardrobe now?? If he doesn't want to, let him enjoy his time.

I agree with you. They won't bar him from the dining room for sure, and most likely, none of what is suggested here will matter in the end.

On NON FORMAL nights in the dining room would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

Are you talking about cargo pants-I feel myself they are a little too casual-now khakis without all the pockets are great.

I know I'm skipping a hell of a lot of this thread to post a reply here, but BRAVO, LMC!!! Those 2 pictures show what is appropriate compared (the first pic, btw) to what is not.

Perhaps it's time for Carnival to start posting visual references....

Thanks Kevin!

After looking at that first picture (its from Express for Men), I told DH that next time we are in the mall, we need to stop in that store! Talk about nice fitting, modern clothes for young adults. Sometimes these are a little harder to find, as the major department stores are all about outfitting the middle aged man.

I think if I were young girl in this day and age and I saw a 20 year old guy come into a dining room in dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes on...I'd probably think what a dork and look the other way.

Well you'll never meet MY son then. :D He is totally into the GQ look, and he's only 13!! (And the girls do NOT look the other way...ha!)

What would you suggest he wear? By the way have you noticed the way most 20 year old college kids dress.... he dresses like the most of the 20 year old "men" his age. In fact... probably even a little better.

I would suggest that, at a minimum, he wear a pair of dockers, loafers or topsiders, and a collared shirt, buttoned up and tucked in, or a polo shirt, tucked in.

He may dress like most 20-year-olds, but he's in a different setting on the cruise. He's not at a keg party with his biddies, but in an elegant dining room where people are expected to show a little class. If he throws a fit and refuses to go to the dining room, then leave his whiny butt in the cabin and go by yourselves. Or, better yet, all of you go to the lido for casual dining.

Be glad you're not on Celebrity or RCCL... "informal" there means suit and tie, or at the least, sports coat or blazer.

And you didn't show much class when you called kind, helpful Mister Duck a "d*ck". Tsk, tsk.

It's obvious your mind was made up before you even posted, and you're attacking anyone who disagrees with your biased agenda. Sort of trollish, eh?

Allen

From what the OP describes, I see no problem with it if it is done neatly. I'm not sure about the sandals, I don't recall ever reading anything about sandals on men, they sound OK to me.

I (female) wear sandals, with capris, to the dining room on the casual evenings all the time. And I see many other ladies in similar attire. I see no reason sandals should be outlawed for the guys??? No flip-flops, for sure, but sandals are fine.

I've cruised with Carnival TEN times...what the OP described is fine on non-formal nights. Don't know where all the negative posters came from...

If he throws a fit and refuses to go to the dining room' date=' then leave his whiny butt in the cabin and go by yourselves. Or, better yet, all of you go to the lido for casual dining.[/b']

It's obvious your mind was made up before you even posted, and you're attacking anyone who disagrees with your biased agenda. Sort of trollish, eh?

BRAVO!!!!!!! :D :D

I was talking 20 year "men" in general anywhere you see them! First you say at 20 he is considered a man and now you say "an almost-adult 20 yr. old"...which is it? When is the last time you saw a 20 year old dressed as you have described? Maybe in the early 80's.

For about 13 years, most of my employees were college students, and I can probably count on one hand, those whom I would consider "adults". Adolescence seems to be extending well into the 20s now.

As for slacks, the term generally refers to long pants that are suitable to be worn in a professional environment or with a blazer or sports coat. Dockers qualify, cargo pants, camouflage pants, and jeans don't.

You will see many 20-year-olds dressing in slacks and a polo shirt in 2006, if you're looking above the lowest classes of our society. And you'll see some 20-year-olds with class who will "dress down" to fit in with their buddies, but you won't see them wear the same thing in a professional environment or in the dining room of a cruise ship.

Maybe you guys would be more comfortable in a Motel 6 outside Las Vegas.:)

Wow, people take their cruise fashion very seriously! The things that are unquestionably unacceptable in the dining room are t-shirts, shorts, and jeans. Other than that, basically anything goes. Your son will not look or feel out of place in the outfit you described. Many people prefer to wear slightly more formal attire on the casual nights (e.g., slacks with a polo shirt), but many people wear the kind of thing your son wants to wear, too. As long as the clothes are clean and pressed I see no problem with your son's attire.

For about 13 years' date=' most of my employees were college students, and I can probably count on one hand, those whom I would consider "adults". Adolescence seems to be extending well into the 20s now.

As for slacks, the term generally refers to long pants that are suitable to be worn in a professional environment or with a blazer or sports coat. Dockers qualify, cargo pants, camouflage pants, and jeans don't.

You will see many 20-year-olds dressing in slacks and a polo shirt in 2006, if you're looking above the lowest classes of our society. And you'll see some 20-year-olds with class who will "dress down" to fit in with their buddies, but you won't see them wear the same thing in a professional environment or in the dining room of a cruise ship.

Maybe you guys would be more comfortable in a Motel 6 outside Las Vegas.:)[/quote']

Now that's just rude. The last comment was completely uncalled for. My son is not in the "lowest class of our society" and he wouldn't dream of wearing a polo shirt. He would call it "preppy". He's 18 and can and does dress up at times. Just because people don't live up to your high standards doesn't mean you should insult them. There are plenty of people who dress to the nines in the dining room and that's their perogative but it should be up to the rest of us to decide what's best for us within the rules. From what I've read, unless you're wearing the things they don't allow (shorts, tshirts, etc), the rest is up to what you're comfortable wearing. I do tend to dress up a bit more for dinner but it doesn't bother me when others don't. I'm not sure why so many people in this thread have made up their minds what's acceptable and is being so judgemental on those that don't agree.

Time to resurrect a post from a wise poster:

Originally Posted by Blazerboy

(Caveat: Rant coming on. A stream-of-consciousness diatribe spurred on by the never-ending clothing wars. If it matters to anyone, I don't think it'll change any minds, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest- Happy cruising everyone, and remember what is so often posted on these boards: the debates that rage on here are hopefully a small part, or no part at all, of your cruise experience! :) )

Ahh, this great democracy that we live in, where supposedly everyone is equal, but nobody truly believes it- it's not true, mostly because everyone's insecure about where they fit in to the picture, and is clawing to feel better than others. This country, where manners are seen as something only for the upper class, but then the upper class is defined solely by educational level and income level, and those two things are no guarantee of manners. Some of the "classiest" (I HATE that word) people I know have what are considered humble lives by most.

"Me, me, me" is the shout, but I read that not as a true belief on the part of the declarer, but as a cry that "I'm just as good as you are!", based on some insecurity about their social standing. Well, no one said you weren't, especially if you respect the requests of others, including your hosts or the people with whom you choose to do business.

"It's my vacation, so I'll do whatever I want" are nine of the most immature words strung together in the history of the language. If you were six, you'd be called a spoiled brat. Why is it any different when you become an adult. In kindergarten, you're expected to have better behavior than that. Why not now? We are becoming a culture that is solely about acquisition of status symbols, be they homes, cars, children, or vacations. We have also become a country of impatient, scared, small minded, classless boors, who think "instant gratification" takes too long. In our demand to be treated the same, we seem to all feel that we should be the exception to rules. Our arrogance about our own self importance (and the underlying insecurity that feeds it) knows no bounds. We drive enormous wasteful SUV's to feel protected, and shut ourselves off from the world in huge McMansions so we don't have to interact with other people. And our lives' list of accomplishments would say very little about our value as a person, and would say not-so-nice things about our values as humans.

A cruise is not simply a vacation to brag about around the office water cooler, it's a social interaction, just like going to a party, or conducting business in a professional manner when at work. It comes with privileges AND responsibilities. Guests, whether paying or not, have rights, but they also have obligations. It's about interacting civilly, about accepting that there are rules and requests that apply to us, and that we need to start valuing some of the culture that we claim is 'old fashioned' before it's acceptable to stop interacting with people altogether.

My word. What a sad state of affairs.

Andrew

That wacky Andrew! But he nailed it.

Allen

Now that's just rude. The last comment was completely uncalled for. .

Rude? I was making a kind suggestion in an effort to help the OP find an environment in which she and her family might feel more comfortable and more able to have it all be about them, them, them. I think you owe me an apology.:D

Finally caught up and I almost forgot what the original question was about! :D

For the OP, your son will most likely not be stopped from entering the dining room dressed as you described. I've seen worse. Is it appropriate? IMHO it is not. Slacks are what are requested. Cargo pants are not slacks.

Yes, it is your vacation. It's also the vacation of every other person on the ship. You have purchased a vacation that comes with a request to dress appropriately for the dining room in the evening. Many of the other passengers who have purchased the same vacation do so with the full realization of what is expected. When others do not follow the guidelines, they are detracting from the experience of those who do follow them.

Imagine the chaos if everyone decided that the guidelines didn't apply to them. :rolleyes:

Yes, Carnival does have some of the best rates out there. Sometimes the cheapest. That does not mean that we have to cheapen the experience with a "me, me, me" attitude.

I get so tired of the dumbing down of America. Maybe it's time we tried to "smarten up" a bit and do what is expected even if it isn't what we want.

Imagine the chaos if everyone decided that the guidelines didn't apply to them. :rolleyes:

I get so tired of the dumbing down of America. Maybe it's time we tried to "smarten up" a bit and do what is expected even if it isn't what we want.

I agree with you, Deb. :)

For those that just don't want to put on a pair of slacks or khaki's, there are other dinner venues available. There is always a relaxed room-service, or the less-"formal" dinner buffet.

Archived