Even if You are Not Very Hungry?

sail7seas

Do you order something from each course on the menu at dinner even if you aren't particularly hungry that night? Just to take a little taste? A chance to sample new foods?
Hungry or not, I seldom order something from every course. However, I often order 2 things from either the appetizer or dessert course. It is usually pretty easy for me to skip the soup and/or the salad course.

Do you order something from each course on the menu at dinner even if you aren't particularly hungry that night? Just to take a little taste? A chance to sample new foods?
Hungry or not, I seldom order something from every course. However, I often order 2 things from either the appetizer or dessert course. It is usually pretty easy for me to skip the soup and/or the salad course.

Is there bread? Is there something that you feel you must have or a favorite I should not miss? How much time is alloted to dine? Is there a site or a post that has menus?

Zaandam in June - 1st cruise

Is there bread? Is there something that you feel you must have or a favorite I should not miss? How much time is alloted to dine? Is there a site or a post that has menus?

Zaandam in June - 1st cruise

Go to ...cruiseclues.com tons of info!

Not really. On my last cruise I actually skipped some of the portions of the meal because either I wasn't hungry or there wasn't anything I cared for. So sometimes I missed the appetizer or the soup, etc. I always found a good selection for the entree. Strangely, always found the time for dessert. Now isn't that a sign we have our priorities in reverse.

No! because I know I couldn't possibly eat it all. Salad I always have and indulge in HAL's great bread. If there's deepfried brie on the menu I'll order it for sure, probably skip the entre and have fruit and cheese for dessert with my coffee.

Dining with the Captain is a bit different, like Sail says, you have fewer options! If something is not to your taste just quietly leave it - no need to tell everyone it's not your fav. food. It's unlikely, at least I hope so, that anyone will comment on your action.

The Lido is an ideal place to try out unknown dishes - just a small spoonful of each. You can always go back for more.

Land restaurant portions have gone over the top these days, geared to the needs of heavy construction workers it seems. Ever notice how many diners leave with 'doggie bags' and noted the number of 'lose weight' ads. and products? Too many are eating themselves into an early grave while many more are dying of malnutrition and starvation.

Land restaurant portions have gone over the top these days, geared to the needs of heavy construction workers it seems. Ever notice how many diners leave with 'doggie bags' and noted the number of 'lose weight' ads. and products? ................

It is insane as well as deplorable. But to add an amusing spin for a minute, it's a good way for seniors in South Florida with little money to get their food for the week!!:D

Seriously, we go to a local Italian restaurant where the pasta "side" is enough to feed a family of 4! LOL:D . So I have my veal, or whatever, and take the pasta (oil & garlic) home and add roasted veggies for a delicious meal the next day.

I know all that has nothing to do with the topic. Sorry!!! But an awful lot of people seem to think that restaurant portions are the norm and are stunned when they go on a cruise and get a reasonable amount of food:) . I've actually seen people post who said they didn't get enough to eat!!!!!:confused:

Strangely, always found the time for dessert. Now isn't that a sign we have our priorities in reverse.

:rolleyes: No. Especially if the dessert is chocolate. :D

I wish HAL would adopt the patented RuthC method of serving dinner: dessert first, then work backwards through the customary order. That way there's always room for dessert; if you're too full before the meal ends it's only salad you miss.

Hey---the grandgirls like the idea!

I

Seriously, we go to a local Italian restaurant where the pasta "side" is enough to feed a family of 4! LOL:D . So I have my veal, or whatever, and take the pasta (oil & garlic) home and add roasted veggies for a delicious meal the next day.

You are not alone Heather :D we do the same - the Italian doggie bag not only provides a second delicious meal, frequently also a snack lunch.

Chinese restaurants are great too - we've just 2nd nited on lovley Lemon Chicken! ;)

You really don't see people eating the huge quantities of food in the dining room these days like I did when I first started cruising. I remember seeing people eating more than one dinner and multiple steaks, lobsters, shrimp, and desserts. And...the first few ships I sailed also had a pasta course in addition to the appetizer, soup, salad, entre, and dessert....and some people would order all of them....plus go to the midnight buffet and eat again!

Of course, back then people had to go into the dining room to eat....no room service, no buffets, no pool grills, no pizza, no little special goodies around every corner. There are so many more options available today. Hmm...maybe we're still eating as much but it's spread over the course of the day instead of just in the dining room.

Since having to go on a severely restricted diet with no red meat, no dairy, as little fat as possible, and several other no no foods, I thought I would have a terrible time on my last cruise. But it turned out to be fairly easy. I can eat fish, shellfish, white chicken and turkey, fruits, citrus, salads, green veggies and tomatos (without the e). For desert there was always sorbet or fruit plate. I was never so desperate that I ordered jello. I always found something on the menu that was OK, although I did have to pass on many of my former favorite foods. And I didn't always find something in the appetizers or soup list that was OK. So I just passed and it wasn't a problem with my tablemates. But my downfall came when I discovered pineapple sorbet and berry liquor at the ice cream station. Piggy, Piggy.

Archived