Cruising during hurricane season?

Hey Ellen: Now I heard the travel insurance does not cover acts of nature. So what is the point? If the cruise becomes longer because you cannot get back to home port for flight...wouldn't one think that the airports have shut down anyways... and they arrange for new flights without penalty I heard. Now we fly Air tran and to change tickets cost 50$ each ticket...but in case of hurricane and all flights are changed I would seriously think that would not apply. Any info here on this would be great. So what does the insurance cover... I have read so many posts by others saying they were shocked at how little it did cover...

$50 to change your flight is stil much cheaper then the insurance.

I have usually cruised during hurricane season (starving college student couple now married with two kids and a house). Either we do it at that time or every few years during off season....anyway, had one bad issue. Actually, I am not complaining about it. Hurrican Juan hit Bermuda the night before we cruised. RCCL changed routes to New ENgland (couldn't go south on this 7 night cruise as there was ANOTHER hurrican down there and another one forming as well). We were on teh Atlantic with three hurricanes and it was a bit rocky that first night until we got out of the area...than smooth sailing. the last night coming back was rocky as that last hurricane was on its way to NEW ENGLAND :eek: . Good news is that the Captain WILL NEVER PUT YOU IN HARMS WAY! bad news is that the itinary can change... but hey, that is how it is... my sister also cruised last year to Bermuda and there was a hurricane a hundred miles from Bermuda. They had to leave port early,as it was so windy on the island and the captain was nervous. They had a bad day at sea and just floated for the extra two days,,, she said it was the best time ever!!! her first cruise and she would do it again (she is highly critical)

don't worry, jsut enjoy!

$50 to change your flight is stil much cheaper then the insurance.

It's not just $50.00. It's 50 bucks PLUS additional airfare. So if your class is sold out on the next flight then you have to pay the difference, all the way to first class.

There are more cancellations of cruising during a year because of mechanical or other problems. I think there have been three this month alone(Summit and Pride of Aloha and I think one QM2 cruise). When there is a weather problem the ships just go some place else. Most Cruise Insurance will cover if you can't make it to the port because of weather. If the ship is cancelled you don't need insurance the cruise line will refund your money or give you a credit. Although Florida is Hurricaine central there haven't been that many cancellations. Good luck cruising is fun and congrats on your nuptials.

50 $ for a ticket change would be cheaper than insurance but we are a party of 4. I am not worrying about it and just going with the flow. The insurance stuff was overwhelming also and the cheaper policies gave trip cancellation refunds of 700$ . To me this was not worth paying for.

Hey Ellen, where in Alaska are you? My parents are cruising there in June.

Archived