Live from Caribbean Princess 6/26/04

S.S.Oceanlover

You're right, all teens are different, and I have two teen girls (17/16). They just hang out with us the whole time when we have been on other cruises. It's okay, they like a lot of the same things we do, cooking demos, napkin folding, watching the crazy people, art auctions, etc... But sometimes, I have to encourage them to get out on their own, explore the ship and life. We will be on the CP Sept. 25. If any one has a fine Christian young man that would like to introduce to my daughters, let me know... you never know.

Rick

We've taken our teens with us on several cruises, on a couple of different lines, and I've come to the conclusion that the mix of kids just varies from week to week. The one suggestion I would make is to coax the kids to go to the Teen Center early in the trip, because some will form groups and go off on their own together but seldom go into the Teen Center after that. We also also talked about it in advance so they'd have some other ideas in case they didn't make a lot of new friends. But they always found a cruise ship to be teen heaven ---- pizza, pool, movies, late nights and sleeping in, etc. They have always had a great time --- I think it just takes a little preparation, like it does for all of us!!!

Just going over the messages here...I really think it depends on the child/teen who is on the cruise. My husband and I say "what child can possibly be bored on a cruise, with all there is to do--only a spoiled ingrate would think a cruise is boring"--but then we reflect on my nephew, who cruised with us not too long ago. He is a reserved, respectful, well-behaved fifteen year-old computer techie-type and he did not enjoy his cruise, at least in the very beginning. He's not a big socializer, doesn't dance, isn't great at making small-talk, is somewhat shy and won't barrel in to enjoy an activity without being asked. He is most comfortable stripping down his computers or working on a car engine.
However, after about the fourth day of the cruise with us he did start to lighten up and make his own niche on the ship. He especially liked seeing the nighttime shows--never missed a single one--and some of the other acts, such as comedy routines and the talent show. Also, he began talking to some of the crew! and learned more about the ship, mechanics, etc. He meadered his way into the library where he found some good (history) books as he is a history buff. And little things, such as the morning trivia quiz, became a very big deal to him.
I believe it takes all of us different amounts of time to become adjusted to cruise ship life.
One thing I must to emphasize to parents: if your child can read at a fairly decent level (say, 4th grade and above), a trip to the bookstore before you cruise is a must. Let your child pick out a few paperbacks and a couple of magazines that he /she really, REALLY wants to read--even if it seems like junk to you. Although you may say your child is not a reader; nonetheless, without all the distractions of home (TV, computer, telephone) your child may he/she may well end up falling back on reading as a boredom fix.

Hi Bill & Maryanne!!!! Hope you guys are having a great time!!! Debbie told us that you were posting so I wanted to say "hi"!!!! Sounds like you are having fun!!! Too bad your son is bored. Hope you guys will be able to make our next get together in August so we can see your pics!!!!!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip and we shall see you back in Philly!!!!!

Terri

Today we were at St. Maarten. We had a great sunny day. Went to Little Divi Bay on the Dutch side. Cost of cab was $3 pp each way. We did waverunners for $45 per half hour and had a great time. Then we just swam and enjoyed the beautiful beach. If your looking to stay off the French side this place would do nicely.

Thanks Terri. I have taken about 80 pictures so far and a couple of videos.Hope to have them all online soon after we get home.

Some light has been shed on the bored teen dilema. The group he was hanging out with that formed in the teen center in the beginning of the cruise went to one of the kids cabins. After they got there the pot came out and since he didn't want to join them in some pot smoking he was dismissed from the group. Since it's the middle of the week now most groups are already formed and I guess it's harder now but he's back out tonight.

Sorry I upset anybody by saying he was bored.

We also ate at Sterling's Steakhouse tonight. WoW what a wonderful meal. I've never had a steak that tasted so good. It virtually melted in your mouth. The service was exceptional. It is well worth the $15.00pp charge.

Day at sea tomorrow and more sleep! :-)

Bill

Bill, we have a rule for our teens when we cruise. They aren't allowed to go into other teen's cabins, and the other teens aren't allowed in our kid's cabin. Just to be on the safe side.
Your son sounds like a great kid. Wish he was going on our CP cruise this Christmas so he could hang out with ours!

Bill,

A few questions.. we're on this Saturday's cruise.

How/When did you make your Sterling reservations and did you take a cab from the pier to Little Divi Bay or after the water taxi - we're looking for a nice beach to take our teens to. Thank you and enjoy the rest of the cruise and save some sun for us.

Hi Bill & Maryann,
I can't wait to see you in August. Have you met up with Cruising is Life who does all the great writing. Between the two of you we'll have plenty of good reading material. Can't wait to see your pictures even though we're taking the CP 9/11/04 to the Western Caribbean.
Thanks again for taking time out of your vaca to think of your "Cruise Critic" and Philly friends.
Trudy & Ron

[b] Sounds Like You Guys Are Having A Blast.
I Will Be Looking Forward To Are Next Meeting So You Can Give Me The Low Down On Your Ports.
Since I Will Be GOING THERE The Week After The Meeting!
Have A Drink For Me And Enjoy The Rest Of Your Cruise....................[/b] [b]rich[/b] : :D

[font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=navy]Bill - are you planning on printing out any of the pictures and bringing them to our next lunch? I can't wait to see them. :D [/color][/size][/font]

Hello from Philly Bill and Maryann!
Sounds like you're having a good time on your cruise. I hope you can bring some pictures for our meeting. Don't forget to get some shots of the suite for us.
Bill, have a Margarita for me and let me know if they're as good as the ones from Sams.

When we made our Sterling reservation it was sometime Monday. We called the concierge and asked for a specific table and time. When we got there they had plenty of tables but Miguel the Maitre'd there said they should not have promised a specific table as that makes his job impossible. We did get a different table and Miguel came over at least 4 times during our meal to apologize. He was super as was the food and service.

We took a cab to Little Divi Bay at a cost of $3 pp. It's pretty close to the ships.

Julie,
Your margaritas are much better than on the ship. ;-)

I will go to some place and get some pictures printed out. Certainly not all of them since I took a ton more today.

The champagne waterfall was way cool! I took a few videos of that!

Off to the buffet than bed as we are heading over to Princess Cays in the morning. :-)

Somebody asked way earlier in the thread about photo prices. 8 x 10's are $14.95 and 6 x 8's are $9.95.
Bill

What movies are playing under the stars? And could you go by the people in D116, tell them that I'll be there on 9/25 and if they would just leave any extra money they find, I'll pick it up when I gert there. :)).

Thanks for taking the time to post for us. You'll be home tomorrow then you can sleep.

Rick

Bill,
We are taking our kids on CP on 9/18/04 and have been searching for something to do in St. Martin. I just came across DIVI and was thrilled to see that you had some first hand info. Please elaborate on the beach, activities, cost etc. I am looking for something affordable that is family friendly and this may be my solution. Did you have a problem getting in not being part of a ship planned excursion? Thanks for all thw wonderful input.

Ilise

Bill----please let me know when you post your photos. Would love to see them. I still don't understand why you were so elusive at the cc party. I wanted to meet CeeCee. Where did you meet her? She wasn't at the party, and I lost her room number.

go figure.............................

Thanks for finding out the ages for me. I wonder if they changed them to be in line with what they advertise in their brochure and website, since when they first cruised in April, the ages were different and split the 7 and 5 year olds apart which is not what they listed in the brochure. Thanks also to the person who posted that kids could travel down and not up. I hope you had a great trip thanks for your posts.

ZrMolly,
I believe the teen disco was open until 1am.

idcruisers,
We had no problems getting in as it's a public beach but very clean and the water was beautiful. We rented waverunners $45 for 30 minutes. They also had chairs on the beach. I don't know if there was a charge or not. Some guy came around and said it was $5 to sit in the chairs but nobody paid him and he walked away. Maybe he was scamming them, who knows.
I took a little video of the beach[URL=http://home.comcast.net/~w.coleman43/divibay.AVI]Little Divi Bay[/URL]

MinnJudy,
I have posted my pics on webshots.[URL=http://community.webshots.com/album/160790003jaMPMn]Caribbean Princess pics on webshots[/URL]

I met CeeCee onboard the ship but can't remember where. I ran into her quite a few times. Nice seeing you at the champagne waterfall. :)

As to my elusiveness maybe reading my other post will shed some light.
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=51525&page=2[/URL]

Bill

Archived