Memo to Colin: Do SOMETHING about the food.

bunduo

I was on the NCL Jewel back in December. This was my first NCL cruise, it was a good cruise. The only ship that I have been on that was nicer was the Celebrity Summit. I was disappointed with the lunch and dinner food in the main dinning rooms. However, the breakfast in Tsars Palace was very good. I don't know why more people don't comment on their breakfast experience. It appears to me that most of the negative feedback about the food on NCL is from a wide range of people who have cruised various other cruise lines. Had the food been better this could have been a very good cruise. I was with my family and we had a party of ten people, so we had a hard time getting reservations at the specialty restaurants, but we did divide into two groups and ate at Cagneys one evening. I had the fillet, it was very good. I have booked an August 5, 2006 cruise on the Caribbean Princess, this will be my first Princess cruise and I'm really looking forward to it, just like any other cruise I have been on. Some in my family did send a letter to Colin regarding the menu, but apparently he didn't recieve it, or didn't care. We never recieved a response from NCL. Perhaps the cost of an NCL cruise is less than other lines, those who choose based on price may be very happy with NCL, but for me I prefer a good value. I just don't mind paying a little more if I get more. Remember we vote with our dollars. I believe that those who provide the most value will be the most profitable.

Soverign of the Seas-Christmas 2000

Celebrity Summit-August 2002

Carnival Jubilee-August 2003

NCL Jewel-Christmas 2005

and in about 6 weeks Caribbean Princess-August 2006

Very good post:) I am still hoping that NCL will improve a little........I am hooked on Freestyle:o

I. I was disappointed with the lunch and dinner food in the main dinning rooms. However, the breakfast in Tsars Palace was very good. I don't know why more people don't comment on their breakfast experience.

When I cruise, I usually turn into a pretty big breakfast eater (and will sometimes skip lunch). I agree with you, the breakfasts in Tsars were fine. But then, I was fine with the dinners as well. Also, we ate in Tsars for lunch on sail away day and had a great lunch. Probably the best one we had on the cruise (and didn't have to fight the buffet crowd)

Interesting, our cruise was in Dec as well. The 10th

-Monte

Keep it at home:confused:

No one said that it should be a gourmet foodfest......did they:confused: All most people want is good food, cooked properly, good variety. I don`t think anyone is asking for anything more.......and I don`t think anyone here has said anything to the contrary.

I do sell "up" and I cruise "up". To say that the top cruise passengers should complain and the "regular" passengers should accept poor quality is absurd.:confused: No one has said that they want it to be magnificent either. So what you said does not make sense.

You had very poor food on your cruise.......I hope that you wrote your letter to the Food and Beverage Manager.

`Nuff said.

Please don't misunderstand my creative use of the language...I'm just saying that it seems that some of the posters are really unhappy with the food...the specialties are always an alternative. Certainly it does not need to be "magnificent", but some posters have said it needs to be better. Once again, mea culpa...adjectives.

Yes, the food on PoAm was not good, but I don't feel I have to write and complain about things like that - the rest of the cruise was a blast. I prefer to write and commend the positve aspects.

And lastly, please note that my comment about the suite passengers was followed by a big smile.

I'm glad you sell up and cruise up, whatever that means....sounds positive ;)

(AnnHorse & SweetPeanut Gallery - Keep it at home, please?)

If you really want changes, don't write to the Chairman, write to the VP of Food and Beverage, Claude Boudoux, newly hired in April, late of the Beverly HIlls Hotel. (cboudroux@ncl.com)

Thanks for this information. I tried sending an email with my concerns, but it said that this address is invalid. Do you know how come the email didn't go throw, and how I can go about emailing Mr. Boudoux. Thanks.

-Matt

(sorry I didn't quote flyingpirate properly... not exactly sure of the proper way to do that)

My biggest complaint about the food on our Crown cruise last October, was the oddness (is that a word) of the menu. I have never in my life seen beef stroganoff served with french fries. That's right, french fries, no noodles of any kind, just french fries and red cabbage. Strange, I thought. And the baked beans at breakfast every day.

My biggest complaint about the food on our Crown cruise last October, was the oddness (is that a word) of the menu. I have never in my life seen beef stroganoff served with french fries. That's right, french fries, no noodles of any kind, just french fries and red cabbage. Strange, I thought. And the baked beans at breakfast every day.

I agree that Beef Strogonoff with French Fries sounds pretty unusual, but as for the baked beans at breakfast, I grew up in Quebec, Canada, and beans at breakfast are a common choice there, it seems to be a French Canadian thing. I grew to quite like it although, if you're not careful, it can lead to a 'musical' day!:D

We were on the May 28, 2006 Star to Alaska and we (4 adults) thought the food was excellent! We ate the majority of our meals in Versailles and we were impressed with the food and also the service we received! And the portions were more than sufficient, especially when you're making it a 5-course meal!

The chilled fruit soups offered at lunch were simply delicious. Wish they offered them at dinner also!

They also served baked beans in the Dominican Republic every morning at breakfast. Seems it is just not an 'American' thing. I enjoyed them on the Majesty last week.

Jackie

These comments bring back memories of when first married, my husband telling me that my biscuits didn't taste anything at all like what "His Mom" made - They still don't, but he has adjusted - and he quickly learned to not make these comparisons!!

These comments bring back memories of when first married, my husband telling me that my biscuits didn't taste anything at all like what "His Mom" made - They still don't, but he has adjusted - and he quickly learned to not make these comparisons!!

You Silly Girl - :p

LSHMSH! Mine was the same..One of our first (microwaved) meals, . served DH on a paper plate and he said "His Mom" never used paper plates...first spat....he doesn't make comparisons and I don't use paper plates :D

He cooks, I serve. We wish hard for cleanup elves.

Bundou~

Did you find the dog?

I do hope so. :)

~R

No, not yet. She left a note saying that if I don't change her food to something more tasty, she is never coming home. :)

-Matt

Baked beans for breakfast: this is very English and we have seen them on the breakfast buffets on our last 3 cruises: 1 was Celebrity, the other 2 NCL. As for Beef Strogonoff: I am not doubting what you are saying but there have been lots of comments, pro and con about beef strogonoff and NCL. No one has memtioned Red cabbage, always NCL serves it with beets on top and yes, noodles. I can't imagine why they would have used french fries. You are the only one that has pointed this out. Let's hear from others about the french fries and red cabbage???? NMNIta

We just returned from the 5/28 sailing of the NCL Jewel. This was our first time on an NCL cruise (we've sailed both Carnival and NCL) and given the substandard food and entertainment, it will be our last. The food was not only poor in the "regular" restaurants on-board, it was also sub-standard in the 2 premium restaurants we tried.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just a good-ole-Southern boy who still likes my cornbread and buttermilk, so food doesn't have to be fancy to please me. However, when New England Clam Chowder is served with the consistency of water, not a chowder, I have to say "Yuck" (and this was in the premium restaurant). Like other posters, I too had trouble finding something to eat on some of the menus and then what I finally decided upon was not very good. I'm not a person who likes seafood, mushrooms, or spinach and some nights it seemed that every appetizer, soup, salad, or entree involved one of these 3 uneatables (or involved the fourth uneatable - eggplant). Give me a good steak and potato and I'm happy. Just make sure that the steak is not mostly gristle (as was the one I paid "extra" for to dine in the premium restaurant). And don't even get me started on the entertainment. I've been to kids birthday parties with better quality entertainment (Can you say Chucky Cheese?).

Steve

Archived