I Dunno-Am I suppose to wait for room service?

smvthecpa

How does room service work? I'm on the Constellatioin leaving July 29.

If I order something, is there a room service menu?

Also, am I suppose to wait the half hour or longer in my cabin for the food to arrive to let the waiter into my cabin? Very confusing.

Not sure I understand...Yes there is a menu to order from. Why would you order room service if you did not want to stay in your cabin? We have always found the service to be quite prompt.

There is a place on the room service menu door hanger thingy, that asks what time you wish to be served and we have found them to be very prompt. We always use the door hanger if we wish food, but generally if we are just ordering morning coffee we just call and it arrives in seconds! (well, maybe a few minutes:D)

I'm sorry for the confusion. My simply question is must, yes, must I be in the cabin to accept the room service delivery. Is the waiter suppose to "knock?"

and, if I'm not there to let him into my cabin, I lose the room service order?

(ie., can I leave my cabin if I want to and come back later in the day and not wait in my cabin for the food to arrive?)

the door hanger that someone was referring to is for breakfast delivery. You hang the request on your door before you go to bed and mark what time you want it delivered. You will get a phone call when it is on its way. As for the rest of the time, I guess you can let them know when you call that you may not be in the room. They will give you an idea when it will be delivered. I have never had this problem as most people only order room service if they plan on being in the room. Most of the time the staff is very prompt. If there is going to be a delay they will tell you when you call. NMnita

Why would you not be there if you order room service? They are supposed to receive a tip for room service. Where would you put the tip? I always hang around to give it to them as they won't just pick it up off the dresser, because then they could be accused of stealing.

If you do not want to wait in your room, why not just go to one of the food stations or the dining room for something to eat? Usually you do tip the person bring room service.

Whether or not they leave the food may depend on the ship. We were in a CC cabin on Century. They knocked once, then walked on in. A couple times we were taking a nap & were sound asleep. I'm guessing they knocked those times too, & we just didn't hear them. :o FYI, the room service isn't always prompt. On Mercury, it was anything but. You may need to give them a reminder call. If you're thinking you may be on the balcony, I feel certain they'll bring the food on in.

This thread really doesn't make much sense.
I totally agree: I am trying to figure out what the OP is getting at and why, I am sure there is a reason for the question, but why would anyone order room service and then leave the cabin? NMNnita

But would they open the door and leave the food if no one answered? I'm thinking only if your cabin attendant let them in. Give it a try and let us know.

There's no way room service has a card that'll open passenger doors.

Silly thread...why on earth would someone order something from room service and then leave? Makes no sense...

Silly thread...why on earth would someone order something from room service and then leave? Makes no sense...

I don't know about room service, but the gentleman who delivered the canapes on Century most definitely did. We don't usually take naps with the door wide open. ;) FYI, this wasn't our room attendant. We had a female RA, & she was nowhere in sight at that time. Now that I think about it, the canapes are often left in the cabin when there's noone in there. I have a feeling there's quite a few master keys floating around the ship. :D

Most of the time room service was delivered by our steward or assistant steward. If you want something left in your room (presumable for later) you should just ask them, or the room service operator. If it is for breakfast you could note that on the order card or give your steward a call if you leave he room close to delivery time. The staff is pretty accommodating and will do whatever they can do to make you happy. I'd clearly communicate to them if you want them to come in and leave the food if you don't answer the door, rather than leave it to chance.

BTW, we didn't tip our steward or assistant if they brought room service, but took care of them with a great tip for their great service at the end of the cruise. On those rare times that someone else brought the room service we tipped a couple dollars which we kept available in any event.

With all that said, we did have a problem a couple times getting full breakfast orders correctly - they occasionally showed up with mistakes on busy mornings. For breakfast you'll do best time-wise if you order with the door hanger card the night before if you know what time you'll want it. On most shore excursion mornings they get pretty busy and a last minute phoned in call can take a while.

Also, am I suppose to wait the half hour or longer in my cabin for the food to arrive to let the waiter into my cabin? Very confusing.

I'm thinking you want to order food to be consumed later in the day???

There is really no reason to do this, room service is usually quite prompt. If you do want to order it and have it around for later, just make sure you order it when you can be there to accept it. But, please remember, your cabin steward may put your tray out in the hallway when they come to straighten up the room in the evening.

With all the food choices available throughout the day onboard a cruise ship, you may find that you really don't have any reason to order food this way.

Keys are assigned and key coded. When used they list the time the key was used and the key code. They can then check the computer to check to see who was in your room at what time. This cuts down on a lot of theft problems or false accusations. Because of this employees will typically not let someone else use their assigned key card.

If you got canopies daily, were you in a suite with a butler and a stateroom attendant? Just a thought.

They have always knocked and then entered when we did not answer. We are usually on our balcony and can not here the knock, even with the balcony door open. On the Century the stateroom had a doorbell to solve the sound level problem.

If you got canopies daily, were you in a suite with a butler and a stateroom attendant? Just a thought.

Canapes are an amenity of the Concierge Class cabins. There's no butler for these cabins. In our experience, the stateroom attendant isn't usually the person who delivers them.

Why would you leave your cabin after ording your Food? If your not going to be there you can eat in the Restaurants. If you order food for a later time just tell them to send it at that time , and be there when it arrives. Or maybe the next time you call for ROOM SERVICE you may not get it...

Why would you leave your cabin after ording your Food? If your not going to be there you can eat in the Restaurants. If you order food for a later time just tell them to send it at that time , and be there when it arrives. Or maybe the next time you call for ROOM SERVICE you may not get it...
We've done that.

One one occasion, we had a shore excursion question and wanted to have lunch on the balcony. We figured that we should be back in the room by the time the food arrived. We ordered room service and told the order taker that we may not be in the room at the time lunch was delivered. He said that was no problem.

I suppose we could have picked up a sandwich or such in the Lido, but we loved sitting out on the balcony while we luxuriated.

To answer the OP, yes you can.

To respond to those who question "why?" my answer is, "why not?"

I think the Op is concerned about if they were "indisposed" and didn't get to the door would they come in. Of course that could be wrong...:confused:

I guess if they delayed and I left briefly I would wonder if it would be there when I returned. But, again it is confusing.:confused: :confused:

Archived