Concerned about Ephesus Turkey

Some input needed here if you can!

I have a group of friend lined up for a tour in Ephesus Turkey on Aug 22 we are on the Brilliance

I have now recieved 3 phone calls with some in the group getting cold feet about even getting off the ship in Turkey. They keep telling me about news reports etc. I haven't seen any! Can anyone please fill me in.

TheMiz

PS One of our crusiers said she heard that RCCL are thinging of not stopping in Turkey at all.

If that is the case will they stop somewhere else?

I happen to want to see Ephesus.

Just got back from an Istanbul to Athens cruise, including Kusadasi/Ephesus. I felt 100 times safer there than in Rome, New York or Paris. Yes, there was a bombing of a bus of British Tourists last year. That was a very isolated incident. There are literally thousands of tourists a day visiting Ephesus without a problem, one of the best archaeological sites in that part of the world. It is a don't miss experience. So please don't cheat yourself by unfounded fears.

Some input needed here if you can!

I have a group of friend lined up for a tour in Ephesus Turkey on Aug 22 we are on the Brilliance

I have now recieved 3 phone calls with some in the group getting cold feet about even getting off the ship in Turkey. They keep telling me about news reports etc. I haven't seen any! Can anyone please fill me in.

Just got back from a cruise 6/15 -6/27 and positively enjoyed Ephesus.

Had no problems and people were friendly.

Hi George....

We are really looking forward to Istanbul (5 days pre) and Kusadasi in October. Would probably have to cancel the entire trip if RCCL changed our itinerary. Have read lots about isolated terror attacks by the Kurds and they have been isolated. I think travelers have to be aware all over the world.

There have been extensive threads on tripadvisor & virtualtourist. Most make very light of the problem. You are much more likely to get "terrorized" by the merchants in the Grand Bazaar! Something to be aware of but would not stop me from going.....plus I want to use my new phone.

Marty

We did both Istanbul and Kusadasi in July 2003 which was about 4 month after Operation Iraq freedom had been executed. We were a little worried that Princess would eliminate one or both of these ports but luckily they didn't. We had great tours in both ports. Ephesus is definitely worth seeing even if you have to do it with a ship sponsored tour. It wasn't as big as Pompeii or as well preserved as Herculaneum or as magical as the Acropolis in Athens but it has its own magic including the "Library" and the theater.

All the Turks we met were friendly and welcoming to Americans.

Hope you have a great next cruise and get to see Ephesus.

Was in BOTH ports in June-06.........the security is just as good as in NYC (which is heavy).

And secondly....that's just what they want u all to do...run with your tail between your legs.

I wouldn't miss those two ports for anybody !

Ciao,

This might seem unkind, but if you and your friends are really concerned about traveling out of the country (Turkey probably has fewer violance problem than London) than you should stay in the states. We have been traveling around the world for about 30 years (we live in the state) and personally, feel safer once we are in the so-called dangerous places. I think its an American thing. We can live in a place that has many killings per year (most larger American cities) and worry about going to a place like Turkey that might have one bad incident a year. My wife and I really love visiting Turkey, and the fewer tourists that discover this wonderful place the better.. because it will help keep the prices down and make things less crowded (only teasing).

Hank

This might seem unkind, but if you and your friends are really concerned about traveling out of the country (Turkey probably has fewer violance problem than London) than you should stay in the states. We have been traveling around the world for about 30 years (we live in the state) and personally, feel safer once we are in the so-called dangerous places. I think its an American thing. We can live in a place that has many killings per year (most larger American cities) and worry about going to a place like Turkey that might have one bad incident a year. My wife and I really love visiting Turkey, and the fewer tourists that discover this wonderful place the better.. because it will help keep the prices down and make things less crowded (only teasing).

Hank

No problem Hank

I am not concerned. Just puzzled that I never seen or read any of the claims, I posted the question so I could show my friends what others experienced.

Sailed on Golden Princess two weeks ago and Ephesus was very interesting and not a problem at all. There is fabulous shopping right at the port but the vendors can be pushy. Just say no thank you when you don't want to go into their store but you can negotiate some good prices on beautiful rugs, jewelry, etc. Don't miss either experience. There is plenty of time to see the ruins and shop!

Was in Kusadasi and Ephesus June 22, plus Bodrum June 21 and Istanbul June 24-26. On Seabourn Spirit, Athens-Istanbul.

No problems! Great people, sights, sites, history, etc. Then went to London for five nights. No problems there, either, despite what happened in England's capital a year ago. Bad things could happen anywhere, but don't.

Went to Ephesus both that morning, plus later in the evening. Really magically location! Unique history that is hard to match anywhere in the world.

Very impressed by Kusadasi port set-up and security. Yes, some merchants are little talkative and pushy, verbally. No big problems. Just ignore. While leaving Emphesus, one store/shop owner was very honest. His large sign said: "Genuine Fake Watches". That's real honesty!

With others in Turkey, you have to love some of their "banter" and lines trying to get your attention. Comments like: "Cheaper than water." "You can't afford not to buy."

Enjoy! TLC in Ohio

We were in both Istanbul and Kusadasi in October ... found the Turkish people to be very friendly and accomodating. Yes ... the merchants are "pushy" - but that's their culture. All you have to do is learn to say "no thank-you" politely and with a smile and generally you'll get a smile back and they will leave you alone.

Ephesus was THE highlight of our 12 day tour of the Med. The ruins there were more interesting than the Acropolis or the ruins in Rome. DO NOT miss this experience ... Ephesus is a once-in-a-lifetime treat to experience.

As for the rare violence ... London suffered a much bigger attack as did New York. WOuld you cross them off your lists of places to visit? You have a better chance of getting mugged in most any large American city than you have in Turkey.

Ahhh yes. The pushy merchants! I posted this a few weeks ago,,but why not again. The Turks are very skilled entreprenaurs and bargaining is a way of life in the bazaars and many stores. Not to bargain would be an insult and it can be great fun once you get in the spirit. My wife once spent more than an hour bargaining for a tiny carpet (about 2 feet square) in the Grand Bazaar (Istanbul) as we sipped free beer provided by our hosts (the shop owner). We once were chased for blocks in Ismir when a street vender thought my wife showed a little interest in a silver necklace (this guy chased us all the way to our bus and finally completed the deal through the bus window). Just smile and enjoy the experience...this is why we travel.

Hank

Archived