questions about volendam

jagsfan

Hi.....just booked Volendam for Dec 3, and have questions since it's first

time sailing on HAL.

1)is the self service laundry free? it is on QM2, and either Princess or Carnival

so I thought maybe since they're all sisters..........

2)are the mattresses soft, or can you request an egg crate from the steward.

That's always been a big help.

3)does the afternoon tea ever come with clotted cream and scones?

4)does Half Moon Cay have hammocks? can't get in or out of lounge chairs.

and why the heck don't they make them higher off the ground?

5)Last, but most important........where's the cheapest place to leave a car in

Ft Lauderdale....cheapest Pt Everglades parking I've seen is 8.00 per day,

which would slay my DH.

Thanks to everybody for your help...........Mimi

Hi Mimi! :)

Come join our roll call thread!

(Sorry, can't help you, as we're booked for HAL Volendam for our first time. Looks lovely, and reviews are fabulous!)

BTW: We're staying at AMERISUITES the night before. Apparently in the middle of all of the "action". Free parking for the duration of the cruise.;)

The COUNTDOWN IS ON!!!!!!

1)is the self service laundry free?

I'll be on the Volendam in a couple of days and I'll confirm it's the same as on the other S- and R-class ships. That is, it's $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or reverse; I can never remember). Soap is provided; bring your own dryer sheets. Quarters are available at the Front Desk.

2)are the mattresses soft, or can you request an egg crate from the steward.

All the HAL cabins have wonderful new matresses. No need for egg crates anymore! (Maybe a ladder to climb into them if you're short. :D )

There usually are scones at afternoon tea, but I`ve never seen Devonshire clotted cream to go with them. They serve some kind of whipped cream and strawberry jam, but it`s not quite the same!!.......jean:cool:

Mattresses - husband's was ok, mine was lumpy and sagged in the middle - a real surprise to me.

Their version of a cream tea is dry biscuits and jam and whipped cream, with very little of either.

washers are $2 dryers are $1 - the biggest problem is getting them - often have to wait. Tip for the dryers - put in your dollar for 45 minutes - at 40 minutes check for dryness and if not quite done put in another quarter which will give you 15 more minutes - better than letting the machine run out and having to put in another dollar for 45 minutes that you don't need.

Hi Mimi, My wife and I spent several wonderful weeks on the Volendam and can agree with the other positive comments. Yes, the self serve laundry is there, but we think the $12 laundry bag is a super bargin. The clothing comes back sorted,shirts are pressed and on hangers. I think the best we did was over $50 worth if sent to the laundry individually. You are going on a beautiful ship with great staff. Enjoy, RJBC

There usually are scones at afternoon tea, but I`ve never seen Devonshire clotted cream to go with them. They serve some kind of whipped cream and strawberry jam, but it`s not quite the same!!.......jean:cool:

I've yet to find anyplace this side of the Atlantic that serves real Devonshire clotted cream.......at least not in the Boston area. I'd sure love to taste that again one day soon. I LOVE that clotted cream. Not sure it's the healthiest thing.....but who cares!!! :)

Hi Mimi, My wife and I spent several wonderful weeks on the Volendam and can agree with the other positive comments. Yes, the self serve laundry is there, but we think the $12 laundry bag is a super bargin. The clothing comes back sorted,shirts are pressed and on hangers. I think the best we did was over $50 worth if sent to the laundry individually. You are going on a beautiful ship with great staff. Enjoy, RJBC

You have any photos of the ship to share?

Thanks to everybody for the good info..Mimi

Hi, sail7seas...if you have a World Market store in the Boston area,

they carry food, furniture, you name it from all over the world, including

clotted cream from England. I make scones at home and we eat them with

clotted cream and strawberry preserves and pretend we're at Brown's

Hotel in London.......Mimi in Jacksonville Fl

I'm sorry - I know that this is off topic, but for Jean and Sail here is a version of "clotted cream":

1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature

1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature

1 Tbs. confectioner's sugar

One hour before serving, pour the heavy cream into a bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Whisk in the sour cream and sugar; continuing to beat until the mixture is very thick. Place in refrigerator and chill until it is time to serve.

Note: If you want to make this ahead of time, it should last 4-6 hours in the refrigerator.

Now, I do have another version of "clotted cream" but it is more involved and necessitates scalding the heavy cream and leaving it to cool for at least 12 hours.

I have not tried either recipe but they both sound like viable alternatives to the real thing.

Once again, sorry to go off topic but when one likes to eat one really likes to eat.:D

Valerie:)

I'm sorry - I know that this is off topic, but for Jean and Sail here is a version of "clotted cream":

Valerie:)

I resent the fact that you hijacked this thread. I gained three pounds while reading the recipe.:eek::D

Thanks to others for the Volendam posts. I am thinking of abandoning my Celebrity cruise for a bit of a Dutch treat.

I've yet to find anyplace this side of the Atlantic that serves real Devonshire clotted cream.......at least not in the Boston area. I'd sure love to taste that again one day soon. I LOVE that clotted cream. Not sure it's the healthiest thing.....but who cares!!! :)

S7S there is a store off route 495 west of Boston, in Westford I think that carries all things british. They are called British Delights, you could try them, they also have a website, also if there is a Whole Foods Market near you I think that they carry some that may be better than the normal supermarket stuff

Valerie, thanks for the post. I have both of the recipes you posted, haven`t tried the first, and the second really is a long drawn out process, but does make the real stuff! I get mine in the little bottles from either World Market, or Andersons. Only get it when I have British friends over for tea!........jean:cool:

Archived