Tipping at specialty restaurants

Can you tell me what the appropriate tipping procedure is when eating in one of the specialty restaurants for dinner, or for that matter the Windjammer for dinner?

Thanks very much. :o

It states that the $20 charge includes the gratuity. We have been to Chops and Portofino over a dozen times and have always had such exceptional service that we have left a little more. It is not at all required, though.

Can you tell me what the appropriate tipping procedure is when eating in one of the specialty restaurants for dinner, or for that matter the Windjammer for dinner?

As mentioned, the tip is listed as included in the $20 charge. I do not believe the entire $20 goes to the server but is divided between the waiter, assitant waiter and the cruiseline.

The appropriate way to tip is at the end of the meal. They have always taken our Seapass card at that time to charge our account. They'll bring a bill back for you to sign just like when you order a drink. There is a place on the bill to add in a gratuity if you're so inclined. I generall add $5 per person to the bill for an additional tip.

As for the Windjammer, if you're so inclined I'd hand a couple of dollars to any server you felt deserving of it. I have to say that I have never tipped in the Windjammer buffet before unless I was ordering an alcoholic beverage and even then, a tip will be automatically included with the bill.

Are these two restaurants on the Vision of the Seas too? (never cruised before) Is it hard to get a reservation to them, where do you go to get a reservation? We will be sailing on August 11th.

Thanks,

sandi

We stopped adding an additional tip to the bill - instead we hand the waiter $10 or $15 as we're leaving Chops. We had the same waiter each time we went to Chops on our last cruise and he definitely deserved the extra. We ate there 6 times on our 14 night cruise last year and had great service and food every time.

At the Windjammmer we take a few dollars with us to tip with at dinner only. We don't tip in the Windjammer for breakfast or lunch.

I am so glad that so many of your answered the OPs question about tipping at the specialty restaurants. We leave on Sunday, and I feel better knowing what so many other people do in that situation. I have one more question regarding Chops and Portofino, and I am not trying to start a fashion war here, but how dressy do you get when you eat there? I know it isn't formal, but are capris and a nice shirt okay for females? What about my husband...polo shirt and khakis, or something nicer?

I am so glad that so many of your answered the OPs question about tipping at the specialty restaurants. We leave on Sunday, and I feel better knowing what so many other people do in that situation. I have one more question regarding Chops and Portofino, and I am not trying to start a fashion war here, but how dressy do you get when you eat there? I know it isn't formal, but are capris and a nice shirt okay for females? What about my husband...polo shirt and khakis, or something nicer?

I have found both to be a bit dressier than the main dining room and we were called several times last cruise to remind us that "smart casual" was expected.

I wear a nice dress and heels, my SO a collared shirt and slacks.

We had SUCH superior outstanding service at Chops and Portofino on Navigator of Seas that we gave an additional $20 to server for each meal. We both thought it was not only best service we have ever received in a dining experience but best food we have eaten as well...so it was very well deserved to double their tip.

I will keep the same policy when we cruise on Mariner next March.

As for Windjammer, we ate dinner each night in there on our Legend of Seas cruise, and tipped our great waiter $5 each night. Well deserved yet again.

I just think these people work extremely hard to please sometimes, and they deserve to get recognized for it.

I just wish I could get a great outstanding dining room server... we have yet to get that on RCI unfortunately. Just luck of draw I guess :(

Thank you all for your feedback. My inclination (having waitressed my way through college) is to always tip for good service. I have oftened wondered if I put the tip on the check (such as with room service) how much of it actually gets to my server.

I think I will tip in cash at the end of the meal and that way I can be sure my server is taken care of. I just was not sure if that was considered "appropriate".

Thanks again for the "tips" :D

Last November on VOS we went to Portofino. We loved the food and the service was great:) So we gave the waiter a $15 tip. On room servive we tip anywhere from $3-5 each time.

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/26/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Husband wore a sports coat and was mad at me (for suggesting it) because he was the only one in the entire restaurant that was as dressed up. All of the other men were in collared shirts; however the women were all a little dressy. I found it weird that none of the men wore sports coats or jackets since about 90 percent of the guys wore sports coats on smart casual night in the main dining room. By the way when we made our reservation, they went so far as to explain that smart casual meant "no shorts or tank tops, but that DRESSY JEANS WOULD BE OK!" My advice is to think club wear, the way you would dress if you were going to be out partying at midnight at a dance club in the city.

We did not tip additional. The service was very good, but nothing spectactular. I felt that the service was acceptable for a nice restaurant so our $80 tip from our table should have covered it.

Thanks for the advice on how to dress. I'll have my husband wear a nice shirt and dress pants, and the rest of us will wear nice dresses! I am so glad that the CC boards exist. I honestly don't think I could have gotten ready for this cruise without everyone's help!

Plz remember the $20 is not a tip! We always hand the servers the cash to be sure they personally receive it. This goes for food, beverage or rm. stewards. When you have someone who makes your trip better, they deserve it!

Archived