New Princess Wine Policy

jerwick

Wilcoam....curious. Do you take a separate suitcase just for wine? Trying to envision schlepping that much wine. Thanks. ;)

My wife and I have been on X n HAL often and always bring 6-8 bottles packed in our suitcase on board. No-one has ever said anything. jc toronto Star Jan 27th 2007

Go to the store ask for a shipping box or look around for a shipping box that has styrofoam inserts, put as much wine as you want to take, tape it up, put a luggage tag on it, write your name, ship name and cabin # on the side. Just check it in when you arrive at the terminal. I usually give the porter an extra $5.00 just to ensure it stays with the luggage.

I think it's much more the latest idiot who drank too much and feel overboard that's changing the rules, as well as Greed. Name me a hotel or resort that doesn't let you take a bottle or case of beer back to your room?

I couldn't agree more about the drunk/greed thingie. I have never advocated smuggling booze at all. I think it is, for the most part, a way to cut one's cruise expenses in spite of all the hoi poloi about "fine wine", "my brand of beer", etc. I just recall a time that, if you were celebrating and anniversary or other special occasion, you could openly bring a bottle of your favorite champagne or a nice wine to have in your cabin for sail-away. There is a big difference between that - and buying a cooler to keep iced with a coupla cases of beer in your stateroom; or a coupla bottles of vodka or bourbon or whatever.

I am all for the new policies that many of the cruise lines are just now putting in place. For years they have "winked" at it but now, after numerous accidents, law suits, complaints, they need to get serious and it seems they are.

And, I have to take issue with your analogy to hotels/resorts. If the hotel has no policy in place then there is no problem. However, the cruise lines do have policies of which everyone is well aware when they make the reservation. :p

Ah come on now....no big deal...just buy your drinks on board or try some of the free lemonade and juices available all day.

Hey, you get no argument from me! I have never smuggle booze and think it is a reprehensible thing to do. Believe me, the times I have voiced my opinion against it on these boards, I have been flamed royally! (Some people don't appreciate my ascerbic wit):p . About the only time I drink is on a cruise and I love the frou-frou; Yellow Bird being one of my faves.:p By the time I hit my cabin at the end of the day, all I usually want is several hours of sleep; not another drink:p

And, I have to take issue with your analogy to hotels/resorts. If the hotel has no policy in place then there is no problem. However, the cruise lines do have policies of which everyone is well aware when they make the reservation. :p

But keep in mind, if you've been cruising for many years now, these policies haven't been in place that long. Wasn't that long ago that there weren't problems taking a bottle on a cruise ship. The ships are greedy, they want every piece of profit that they can and it's absolutely nothing do do with safety.

I think that Carnival has been and still is the most exacting in enforcing the "no bringing alcohol on board" policy. Still, there has been no problem bringing a couple of bottles of "local" beer on board at embarkation or from the ports in my experience. This may change. Not to worry though...I'll just quit drinking..LOL

I think it is, for the most part, a way to cut one's cruise expenses in spite of all the hoi poloi about "fine wine", "my brand of beer", etc.

Hrmph. ... and if the wines one intends to bring along are more expensive than anything on Princess' list? :rolleyes:

The on-ship selection just isn't very broad.

Please, this is getting a bit silly. I have visions of inspectors going through our lugguage tasting shampoo bottles to find liquor(yuck!!). When will this invasion of privacy end? I think I am an adult and I should be able make the decision whether I want to bring alcohol on board or not to consume in the privacy of my stateroom. After reading all these threads, I feel now that I have to find ways to "smuggle" bottles of wine on board. Why should I feel I am doing something wrong if I want a glass of wine while I'm dressing for dinner?

How about this: The policy prohibits bringing on alcoholic beverages. You know perfectly well it is prohibited when you book the cruise. You can always take another vacation.

It is no more an "invasion of privacy" than body checks, luggage searches and other security measures at the airport. I think you are just looking for an excuse. ;)

If you want a nice glass of wine while you are dressing for dinner, stop at the bar on your way back to the cabin and buy one. No problem there, right?:rolleyes:

And, by the way, by the time one is an adult, one should be able to control oneself and obey all lthe rules.. But, then again, I do so enjoy Cops on TV...........

But keep in mind, if you've been cruising for many years now, these policies haven't been in place that long. Wasn't that long ago that there weren't problems taking a bottle on a cruise ship. The ships are greedy, they want every piece of profit that they can and it's absolutely nothing do do with safety.

Yeah, I'm a cruiser for many years....and, I agree with what you say about the cruiselines trying for profit. Looking at the other side, cruising is cheaper now than is used to be - they almost have to keep the fares down to fill these montrous ships they are building. Guess they have to make it up somewhere.

Truly though, I believe it has to come to and end somewhere. Reading through these boards it amazes me how many under-age people smuggle booze and it always amazes me to see just how many drunk and out-of-control younger people are onboard. No wonder there are so very many accidents....:confused:

Hrmph. ... and if the wines one intends to bring along are more expensive than anything on Princess' list? :rolleyes:

The on-ship selection just isn't very broad.

I can't really speak for Princess as I haven't cruised with them for a few years but I do agree that wine lists on many of the ships are uninspired. There are a few really good wines - but you pay through the nose for them. I find the same to be true in a land based restaurant too. I just consider it part of the travel budget like gambling, shore excursions and the like.:rolleyes:

Hate to tell you this but Princess has never served lemonade in my 15+ yrs of cruising with them. On my last Coral Princess cruise 5/06 they served orange juice free for breakfast and charged $2 per glass rest of the day.

Ah come on now....no big deal...just buy your drinks on board or try some of the free lemonade and juices available all day.

Hate to tell you this but Princess has never served lemonade in my 15+ yrs of cruising with them. On my last Coral Princess cruise 5/06 they served orange juice free for breakfast and charged $2 per glass rest of the day.

Yeah SHayes..I know....just checking to see if anyone was listening. :D

Would Princess charge 'Corkage', if a person was to take a liter of orange juice into the dining room at dinner?:rolleyes: Just a thought. john

... but I do agree that wine lists on many of the ships are uninspired.

Exactly. See the list below; it's all the wines on Princess' list. While I like a couple of them, the wines I'd like to bring aboard are better.

but you pay through the nose for them.

Actually, from what I remember of prices of the wines I've had on Princess' list, their prices are better than the prices in the major-metro-area restaurants I've been to.

It's not about "saving money" for some of us, it's about selection.

CHAMPAGNE AND WINES
Champagne and Sparkling Wine
Dom Perignon (French) #2010 $117.00
Veuve Clicquot, Brut (French) #2015 $52.00
Moët & Chandon, Extra Dry (French) #2011 $48.00
Domaine Chandon, Brut (Californian) #2017 $30.00
Korbel, Rose (Californian) #2016 $27.00
Korbel, Brut (Californian) #2012 $24.00
Martini & Rossi, Asti Spumante (Italian) #2013 $24.00
White and Blush Wine
Chablis, Premier Cru (French) #2100 $38.00
Beringer, Chardonnay (Californian) #2106 $34.00
Kendall-Jackson, Chardonnay #2107 $30.00
(Californian)
Nobilo, Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) #2108 $28.00
Caliterra, Chardonnay (Chilean) #2105 $26.00
Sylvester Kiara Reserve, Chardonnay #2104 $22.00
(Californian)
Verdicchio, Fazi-Battaglia (Italian) #2103 $24.00
Niersteiner, Gutes Domtal (German) #2109 $22.00
Woodbridge, White Zinfandel #2110 $22.00
(Californian)
Red Wine
Gevrey-Chambertin (French) #2113 $44.00
Kenwood Jack London, #2114 $41.00
Cabernet Sauvignon (Californian)
Chianti Classico Riserva (Italian) #2115 $31.00
Seghesio, Zinfandel (Californian) #2112 $30.00
Kendall-Jackson, Cabernet Sauvignon #2118 $30.00
(Californian)
Fetzer, Barrel Select Merlot (Californian) #2117 $28.00
Robert Mondavi, Pinot Noir (Californian) #2119 $28.00
Santa Carolina, Cabernet Sauvignon #2116 $24.00
(Chilean)
Valpolicella (Italian) #2111 $22.00

It is called packing. I don't care what the bar tab is for the trip i am not trying to save money. the ships (not just princess) do not have my brands and i do not want to call room service and wait. We are serious wine collectors and the bottles we take with us are 50 to 125 each at the cheapest wholesale prices.

I would never mix a drink and take it out of my cabin into the public areas as that is what the bars are for. those lemmings that say the guidelines or rules say no can go play bingo or trivia and leave everyone else alone.

I will be on my balcony having port and smoking a fine cigar.

...Our Passenger Contract -- the document that governs the obligations of both the cruise line and the passenger -- arrived this week and states that "Carrier kindly requests that You do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption." The "Cruise Answer Book" is not the contract, nor is it (from my reading) incorporated into the contract. In fact, the contract specifically states that it is the "entire understanding and agreement between You and Carrier."

A couple of things:

1. This is, by its own terms, a "request" not an edict or covenant. That probably explains why some people are not given any challenge when bringing hard liquor onboard when boarding. The contract does state that alcohol will be collected at the gangway until disembarkation. So there is an ambiguity.

2. There is no limit stated in the contract for wine or champagne.

BTW-- Our cruise answer book -- again, not the governing document - does not state a 1 bottle limit on wine or champagne.

This is not meant as legal advice, but if you read the contract, rather than other documents, you will find the actual obligations and limitations.

At the very least Princess continues to be consistent....in their inconsistency. :)

Can anyone very recently off a Princess cruise give an update as to how strong Princess is in enforcing any of their alcohol policy(s)... these days?

It is my impression that the policy change is more an effort on the cruise lines part to cover their butts. This policy was probably driven by corporate lawyers in light of the stupidity of people who consume too much and fall/throw themselves overboard. By having a policy in place, it helps to protect them from lawsuits the families of said shark chum would file against the cruise line.

Princess has never made an issue out of carry-on booze. I have carried wine and liquor in my checked and carry-on luggage without a problem in the past. We are sailing on the Star form CPH to NYC in September, so I will find out if the policy has changed.

Norwegian Cruise Lines is a different story. Last fall, sailing out of LAX to Mexico, NCL confiscated wine and liquor from both carry-on and check luggage. The same thing happened to a friend sailing on NCL out of MIA this past summer.

Hopefully, Princess will continue to realize the benefits of good customer relations by not enforcing a prohibition against carry-ons.

Cruzer Two

I can say that is one thing that I really liked about our Disney cruise last week, you are allowed to bring anything you want on board. You can bring liquor of any kind, mixers, beer, champagne, wine, anything. They don't make a stupid separation of allowing wine and champagne but not hard liquor. Princess really should make it no liquor as I don't see a bit of difference between someone bringing on a bottle of grey goose versus someone bringing on bottles of wine. And it's not all about the corkage fee as there are plenty of people who drink the wine in their staterooms and don't bring it to the dining room. Just wish that Princess would get consistant.

.... Just wish that Princess would get consistant.

Agreed....last summer in Northern Europe we followed two men back to Golden in Hamburg...each was straining under two 24 can flats of beer. I don't have a problem with that if princess doesn't, but then either (a) make the alcohol policy clear to all and enforce it or (b) scrap it. This wink-wink business is confusing...but on second thought, it gives us something benign to talk about (that doesn't involve a list). :)

Exactly. See the list below; it's all the wines on Princess' list. While I like a couple of them, the wines I'd like to bring aboard are better.

Actually, from what I remember of prices of the wines I've had on Princess' list, their prices are better than the prices in the major-metro-area restaurants I've been to.

It's not about "saving money" for some of us, it's about selection.

CHAMPAGNE AND WINES
Champagne and Sparkling Wine
Dom Perignon (French) #2010 $117.00
Veuve Clicquot, Brut (French) #2015 $52.00
Moët & Chandon, Extra Dry (French) #2011 $48.00
Domaine Chandon, Brut (Californian) #2017 $30.00
Korbel, Rose (Californian) #2016 $27.00
Korbel, Brut (Californian) #2012 $24.00
Martini & Rossi, Asti Spumante (Italian) #2013 $24.00
White and Blush Wine
Chablis, Premier Cru (French) #2100 $38.00
Beringer, Chardonnay (Californian) #2106 $34.00
Kendall-Jackson, Chardonnay #2107 $30.00
(Californian)
Nobilo, Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) #2108 $28.00
Caliterra, Chardonnay (Chilean) #2105 $26.00
Sylvester Kiara Reserve, Chardonnay #2104 $22.00
(Californian)
Verdicchio, Fazi-Battaglia (Italian) #2103 $24.00
Niersteiner, Gutes Domtal (German) #2109 $22.00
Woodbridge, White Zinfandel #2110 $22.00
(Californian)
Red Wine
Gevrey-Chambertin (French) #2113 $44.00
Kenwood Jack London, #2114 $41.00
Cabernet Sauvignon (Californian)
Chianti Classico Riserva (Italian) #2115 $31.00
Seghesio, Zinfandel (Californian) #2112 $30.00
Kendall-Jackson, Cabernet Sauvignon #2118 $30.00
(Californian)
Fetzer, Barrel Select Merlot (Californian) #2117 $28.00
Robert Mondavi, Pinot Noir (Californian) #2119 $28.00
Santa Carolina, Cabernet Sauvignon #2116 $24.00
(Chilean)
Valpolicella (Italian) #2111 $22.00

I would be happy with this personally. I love Italian wines and the Verdicchio Fazi Battaglia, Chianti Riserva and even the Valpolicella would do me fine..... Kendall Jackson cabernet is pretty good, too.

Thanks for the list. Think I'll keep it for future reference if/when I ever decide to cruise Princess again.:p

Thanks for the list. Think I'll keep it for future reference if/when I ever decide to cruise Princess again.

Well, to be accurate, please save the source URL instead (in case it changes):

http://www.princess.com/pdf/answer/Celebrations_Order_Form.pdf

(Oh, and maybe we shouldn't use the word "l-st" on the Princess boards for a while; perhaps "chart" or "guide" instead. :))

Guest garden4cook

My BF and i just got off the Island Princess to Alaska about 3 weeks ago. We got a balcony room and took 6 bottle of wine and 1 bottle of champaign on board...no problem at all. We drank 1 bottle each evening on the balcony.

Just a reminder: The wine list posted above are those that can be pre-ordered. The dining room list is a lot more extensive with MANY other high-end wines. For example, J-wine Pinot Noir was a good deal. And the Opus and high-end Mondavi (over $80 land retail) are not on the list. The complete wine list has over 200 wines and is comparable to a medium priced continental restaurant list. There is a list posted somewhere -- maybe one of the posters can remember/Sultan

Archived