jerwick

New Princess Wine Policy

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Also corkage fee is now $15.

Online the old policy is still stated. Even if you download the 2006 answer book, it still has the old policy.

I was wondering if anyone sailing this past June or July has encountered this new policy?

We sailed in April 2006 and the old policy was in force. I then as in the past took several bottles on board. There has been much discussion about additional charges for this and that, and it appears that this is another change to increase profit margins. Still it won't make for an unhappy voyage, just disappointing.

Jerry

We cruised on the Caribbean Princess on June 10. We took wine and liquor onboard and no one said a word. Princess was not collecting bottles at the gangway in St. Thomas or St. Martin either.

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Jerry

Thanks for the heads up, Jerry.

I wonder how this will be enforced? :confused: Are they going to search our bags? :eek: DH and I usually pack several bottles of wine, well-wrapped and packed with clothing - not necessarily in carry-on luggage.

Also, I wonder if the policy would be the same for all voyages - i.e. a 2-night repositioning cruise compared with a much longer sailing?

We're not beer drinkers, but does the new policy include beer, as well?

Call me curious...

Chris

I just received mine last week and it said I could bring on wine, on limit. I looked at the back and the effective date is 12/05. Is you copy a more updated version?

Sorry I left out of my original post the effective date on the book is 05/06. Don't know about beer.

I have called Princess to confirm the new policy (we all know how reliable that can be) and was told it is as stated in the revised book. Bottled water can be brought on.

Jerry

We sailed in June on Dawn Princess and brought a couple bottles of wine to dinner. They charged us $10 corkage fee. One of the bottles I brought to dinner was a wine that our waiter said used to be on Princess' wine list a while back. He went on to describe the wine in detail to us. Really great waiter and the wine wasn't half bad either!

We did the cb this mid june, took lots of wine aboard, (so much so that we came home with some of it as well.) It was just in our regular luggage. no problems, no questions, no issues. We just had glasses of wine in the room, did not take them to supper (we ordered many bottles of wine & many marguritas, jamaican rums etc. in the bars & at dinner) There was never a issue. We appreciated that, still ran up a healthy bar bill, nice that Princess allows that. We bought a couple small bottles of rum in jamaica, no one had a problem with that at all (they were bought as gifts for back home) but we carried them aboard without problems

We always carry some wine onboard with us to enjoy on our balcony before dinner. However, we always order a bottle of the ship's wine with dinner. We wouldn't take a bottle of wine into a restaurant at home - we always order off the wine list, so why would we take a bottle of wine with us on the ship? I wonder if Princess is losing so much revenue from people taking wine with them to dinner that they are having to change the wine policy.

I just checked out the on line cruise answer book at the Princess website and I see no change in the wine policy

Good thing as I almost always bring 6 - 12 bottles on board (for our group).

Does anyone know what the duty is per bottle for bringing wine into Canada from US ?

Does anyone know what the duty is per bottle for bringing wine into Canada from US ?

After the first 1.5 L (two bottles per person), it's about double the cost. Def. not worth it - of course, you only pay the duty if you declare it!

:eek: Oh - no

jerwick -

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Also corkage fee is now $15.

\

Has anyone else received this update? My DH and I can only bring 2 bottles...Bummer!!! Do they still sell magnums? LOL:p

I'm looking at my book - dated - effective 12/05.I can't find info. I received this about a month ago for our Aug. cruise. However, I did find it in the Caribbean & Mexico book, pg109

You may bring wine and champagne onboard to celebrate a special occasion. Wines and\or Champagnes consumed in the dining rooms will be subject to $10.00 USD per bottle corkage fee.

Oh crud, I forgot that in my review. The corkage fee is indeed now $15.00 and they are consistant about collecting it. We did bring 2 bottles a person and had no problem.

That one bottle per person limit really doesn't make much sense when one considers that Princess cruises range from 1 night to over 30 nights. When we boarded the Diamond Princess in Sydney for a 28 night cruise, people were loading on multiple cases of wine (and water) for the cruise.

After the first 1.5 L (two bottles per person), it's about double the cost. Def. not worth it - of course, you only pay the duty if you declare it!

However would Canadian custmos know the cose of California and European wines ?

Looks to me like Carnival corporate is taking away yet another policy that made Princess special to those of us who have cruised with them for many years.

It's all about maximizing revenue.

Allen

DH and I brought 6 bottles of wine, port, etc. with us on our honeymoon just this month - no problem! We live in CA and have visited many wineries together, so we have a "special" champagne, and a "special" port, etc. We usually opened the wine to enjoy before dinner on our balcony, so I can't tell you about the corkage fee.

However, we were on the Sun Princess. Is it possible that this new policy is for the newer ships (Crown, in particular?)

-Vanessa

My wife and I have been on X n HAL often and always bring 6-8 bottles packed in our suitcase on board. No-one has ever said anything.

We only drink that wine in the room, and pre-dinner, post-dinner maybe. We still always order a bottle each dinner. I'd say most of our on board account is taken up by wine purchases.

The reason for bringing the extra on-board is often it is vintage wines, we've collected for 6-10 years, with the desire to drink it on special occasions....

We're trying Princess for the first time next Jan 27th on the Star. We're told Princess is very similar to X and HAL, almost 'premuim', so surely we'd be dissapointed if we could not take our usual wine on board.

We don't have any problems paying a corkage whatsoever, as the bottles we're brining on board, are worth $100-$250 min anyway.

but amy more information of wine policies, or new wine policies on princess would be greatly appreciated...

jc

toronto

Star Jan 27th 2007

My Answer Book, received two days ago, was the same as the one that I used last November. Page 19, in both under 'Alcohol Policy' states in part. "Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard". unquote -----"You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions". unquote. I find the phrase "may not be consumed onboard" interesting. It does not say that you 'must not' consume it onboard, it just suggests that you 'don't have to consume it onboard'

Just for the record I have always take a few bottles of wine onboard without any problems. I just hope however, that I never have to waste my time, trying to teach Princess the correct use of the English language!:rolleyes: john

My Answer Book, received two days ago, was the same as the one that I used last November. Page 19, in both under 'Alcohol Policy' states in part. "Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard". unquote -----"You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions". unquote. I find the phrase "may not be consumed onboard" interesting. It does not say that you 'must not' consume it onboard, it just suggests that you 'don't have to consume it onboard'

Just for the record I have always take a few bottles of wine onboard without any problems. I just hope however, that I never have to waste my time, trying to teach Princess the correct use of the English language!:rolleyes: john

I apologize for omitting the 'n' in the word 'taken':o john

Yep! In parenthesis in the "ALCOHOL POLICY" is (limit: one bottle per person)! AND para ends with -- subject to $15 corkage fee. /Sultan

Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise, prior to your disembarkation. You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $10 corkage fee.

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

In parenthesis in the "ALCOHOL POLICY" is (limit: one bottle per person)! AND para ends with -- subject to $15 corkage fee

The above is what's written in the book I received.....

Different Books for Different Folks ? ? ? ? ? :o

Wonder if they'll stop me?

In parenthesis in the "ALCOHOL POLICY" is (limit: one bottle per person)! AND para ends with -- subject to $15 corkage fee

The above is what's written in the book I received.....

Different Books for Different Folks ? ? ? ? ? :o

Wonder if they'll stop me?

It looks like it. I'm a Canadian. john

Not to get off topic, but since we are talking about wine...

This will be our first Princess cruise after a previous cruise on Royal Carribbean. RC has a wine package that you can buy for a modest price and get choices of wine every night at dinner. Does Princess have anything like that?

This would be tacky, but why couldn't you cork your own wine and bring it with you to dinner. I answered my own question....tacky, tacky, tacky.

I posted this on a related topic website, so I thought I'd copy it here.

The Answer Book is not the contract. Check your Passenger Contract to find out the obligations and limitations on both the cruise line and passengers:

Our Passenger Contract -- the document that governs the obligations of both the cruise line and the passenger -- arrived this week and states that "Carrier kindly requests that You do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption." The "Cruise Answer Book" is not the contract, nor is it (from my reading) incorporated into the contract. In fact, the contract specifically states that it is the "entire understanding and agreement between You and Carrier."

A couple of things:

1. This is, by its own terms, a "request" not an edict or covenant. That probably explains why some people are not given any challenge when bringing hard liquor onboard when boarding. The contract does state that alcohol will be collected at the gangway until disembarkation. So there is an ambiguity.

2. There is no limit stated in the contract for wine or champagne.

BTW-- Our cruise answer book -- again, not the governing document - does not state a 1 bottle limit on wine or champagne.

This is not meant as legal advice, but if you read the contract, rather than other documents, you will find the actual obligations and limitations.

This may be a bit off subject, but just consider this little tip. The wife and I have been doing this for years, and it is a great way to meet our balcony neighbors: A couple of days before leaving home, I'll take two or more bottles of chilled champagne, wrap them in bubble wrap, seal them with packing tape, and chill again. On our departure day, we pack them in the middle of check-on bags. The steward brings the luggage to the cabin, we withdraw the bottles, chill again in the sink full of ice, and ask the neighbors, who invariably attend port departure on their balcony, if they would care to join us in a toast. Bon vayage and nice to meet you, all at the same time. Another tip: Bring some fig newtons, break them up in fourths, and throw them to the seagulls while leaving port. They fly right up to the balcony rail. What fun.

Bax ... just a question, why do you chill the champagne before you travel? I always thought (I'm probably wrong), that you should not chill champagne until just before drinking.

By the way, nice gesture.

This may be a bit off subject, but just consider this little tip. The wife and I have been doing this for years, and it is a great way to meet our balcony neighbors: A couple of days before leaving home, I'll take two or more bottles of chilled champagne, wrap them in bubble wrap, seal them with packing tape, and chill again. On our departure day, we pack them in the middle of check-on bags. The steward brings the luggage to the cabin, we withdraw the bottles, chill again in the sink full of ice, and ask the neighbors, who invariably attend port departure on their balcony, if they would care to join us in a toast. Bon vayage and nice to meet you, all at the same time. .

What a lovely and thoughtful idea! I think I'll try this on our next cruise. We will have the older two with us and will need all the goodwill we can get! (seriously, they are good kids and would never cause a rucus in our room).

Guest vitamarion
This may be a bit off subject, but just consider this little tip. The wife and I have been doing this for years, and it is a great way to meet our balcony neighbors: A couple of days before leaving home, I'll take two or more bottles of chilled champagne, wrap them in bubble wrap, seal them with packing tape, and chill again. On our departure day, we pack them in the middle of check-on bags. The steward brings the luggage to the cabin, we withdraw the bottles, chill again in the sink full of ice, and ask the neighbors, who invariably attend port departure on their balcony, if they would care to join us in a toast. Bon vayage and nice to meet you, all at the same time. Another tip: Bring some fig newtons, break them up in fourths, and throw them to the seagulls while leaving port. They fly right up to the balcony rail. What fun.

I hope we are lucky and have you as our next door balcony neighbors on our next cruise.!

Marion

This may be a bit off subject, but just consider this little tip. The wife and I have been doing this for years, and it is a great way to meet our balcony neighbors: A couple of days before leaving home, I'll take two or more bottles of chilled champagne, wrap them in bubble wrap, seal them with packing tape, and chill again. On our departure day, we pack them in the middle of check-on bags. The steward brings the luggage to the cabin, we withdraw the bottles, chill again in the sink full of ice, and ask the neighbors, who invariably attend port departure on their balcony, if they would care to join us in a toast. Bon vayage and nice to meet you, all at the same time. tip:Another Bring some fig newtons, break them up in fourths, and throw them to the seagulls while leaving port. They fly right up to the balcony rail. What fun.

Not everyone is fond of birds, I'm deathly afraid of them. Please be mindful of your neighbors. We once had a gentleman below our balcony on the open Dolphin deck who would feed the birds bread, they were all over our balcony, and the mess that was left on his balcony floor from the bread was shameful and I know he did not clean up the mess. In case your wondering, yes I have seen the movie The Birds.....but my fear comes from an incident when I was very young.

It looks like many of the cruise lines are starting to crack down on this booze thing. RCCL just changed their policy, effective July 28 that NO alcohol of any kind can be brought aboard - it goes on to say that it will be confiscated. Also mentions disembarking passengers who, in their security's opinion, is drunk, disorderly. Also says it has the right to deny boarding to folks who try to smuggle booze on board and mention they will be checking shampoo bottle, mouthwash, etc.... They also raised the drinking age to 21. Seems 18-20 years used to be able to buy beer/wine with some sort of waiver signed by the parents.

Anyway, really causing a stir on their board.

Also on NCL, they have some new type x-ray machine and if they suspect there might be booze in someones case, that person is called out, required to open the luggage and remove the contraband.

I think it's sort of a shame, really. Those who have for years ignored the rules and smuggled on booze enough to hold a party for Jack Sparrow have ruined it for those of us who always brought a nice bottle of bubbly for sail-away or our favorite bottle of wine for that special occasion.

The cruise experience has sure changed over the last 10-20 years. Some of the "constants" are still there (thank goodness), the sea is always there, the lovely ship, good food, comfortable stateroom, mostly fun people to sail with. Hope that never disappears! :(

Yep, I agree with Seamama1. We were just on RCCL and our waiter told us that all the cruise lines were starting to crack down on alcohol being brought onboard. RCCL has had too many "accidents" with people being drunk and going overboard.

RCCL has even brought the ships doctor to the gangway to examine passengers that were drunk, to determine if they would be allowed onboard. Our waiter said that more than once people had NOT been able to reboard the ship and had to find their own transportation home from a port.

It would not appear that Princess has gotten to that point yet, but is tightening up a little.

Ya'll be safe out there,

Rob

Boy I love spending $5,000 to be treated like a child while on vacation. With three upcoming cruises booked on Princess, it might be time to go back to land vacations.

Yep, I agree with Seamama1. We were just on RCCL and our waiter told us that all the cruise lines were starting to crack down on alcohol being brought onboard. RCCL has had too many "accidents" with people being drunk and going overboard.

RCCL has even brought the ships doctor to the gangway to examine passengers that were drunk, to determine if they would be allowed onboard. Our waiter said that more than once people had NOT been able to reboard the ship and had to find their own transportation home from a port.

It would not appear that Princess has gotten to that point yet, but is tightening up a little.

Ya'll be safe out there,

Rob

If the cruise lines didn't rip you off on the price for drinks, people wouldn't bring thier own drinks onboard. The cheapest bottle of wine is around $30 on the ship and goes up over $100. Publix in Florida has 90% of thier wine under $20.

If the cruise lines didn't rip you off on the price for drinks, people wouldn't bring thier own drinks onboard.

Well, that, and the fact that the ship's collection of wine is limited so some like bringing their own vintages aboard.

From what I've seen of Princess' wine list the pricing is on-par with restaurant pricing.

ALCOHOL

To ensure the safety and comfort of all onboard, we wish to advise that passengers are not permitted to take on any alcohol for personal consumption. Duty-free and personal alcohol purchased shore side, must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding in any port. All alcohol will be held under bond and returned at disembarkation in the final port of call. Please note that all luggage, both hand and check-in, will be x-rayed at embarkation. At disembarkation, individuals must declare to Customs all amounts of alcohol in excess of the local Customs limits. P&O Cruises reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger for any reason.:mad: :mad: :mad:

We are booked on the Pacific Princess Feb/March 2007 around Australia for 28 days, on a P & O cruise. Do I assume the P & O policy will prevail against the Princess policy??

Ray

....Those who have for years ignored the rules and smuggled on booze enough to hold a party for Jack Sparrow have ruined it for those of us who always brought a nice bottle of bubbly for sail-away or our favorite bottle of wine for that special occasion.

The cruise experience has sure changed over the last 10-20 years. Some of the "constants" are still there (thank goodness), the sea is always there, the lovely ship, good food, comfortable stateroom, mostly fun people to sail with. Hope that never disappears! :(

Ah come on now....no big deal...just buy your drinks on board or try some of the free lemonade and juices available all day.

I think it's sort of a shame, really. Those who have for years ignored the rules and smuggled on booze enough to hold a party for Jack Sparrow have ruined it for those of us who always brought a nice bottle of bubbly for sail-away or our favorite bottle of wine for that special occasion.

:(

I think it's much more the latest idiot who drank too much and feel overboard that's changing the rules, as well as Greed. Name me a hotel or resort that doesn't let you take a bottle or case of beer back to your room?