New Princess Wine Policy

jerwick

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Also corkage fee is now $15.

Online the old policy is still stated. Even if you download the 2006 answer book, it still has the old policy.

I was wondering if anyone sailing this past June or July has encountered this new policy?

We sailed in April 2006 and the old policy was in force. I then as in the past took several bottles on board. There has been much discussion about additional charges for this and that, and it appears that this is another change to increase profit margins. Still it won't make for an unhappy voyage, just disappointing.

Jerry

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Jerry

Thanks for the heads up, Jerry.

I wonder how this will be enforced? :confused: Are they going to search our bags? :eek: DH and I usually pack several bottles of wine, well-wrapped and packed with clothing - not necessarily in carry-on luggage.

Also, I wonder if the policy would be the same for all voyages - i.e. a 2-night repositioning cruise compared with a much longer sailing?

We're not beer drinkers, but does the new policy include beer, as well?

Call me curious...

Chris

Sorry I left out of my original post the effective date on the book is 05/06. Don't know about beer.

I have called Princess to confirm the new policy (we all know how reliable that can be) and was told it is as stated in the revised book. Bottled water can be brought on.

Jerry

We sailed in June on Dawn Princess and brought a couple bottles of wine to dinner. They charged us $10 corkage fee. One of the bottles I brought to dinner was a wine that our waiter said used to be on Princess' wine list a while back. He went on to describe the wine in detail to us. Really great waiter and the wine wasn't half bad either!

We did the cb this mid june, took lots of wine aboard, (so much so that we came home with some of it as well.) It was just in our regular luggage. no problems, no questions, no issues. We just had glasses of wine in the room, did not take them to supper (we ordered many bottles of wine & many marguritas, jamaican rums etc. in the bars & at dinner) There was never a issue. We appreciated that, still ran up a healthy bar bill, nice that Princess allows that. We bought a couple small bottles of rum in jamaica, no one had a problem with that at all (they were bought as gifts for back home) but we carried them aboard without problems

We always carry some wine onboard with us to enjoy on our balcony before dinner. However, we always order a bottle of the ship's wine with dinner. We wouldn't take a bottle of wine into a restaurant at home - we always order off the wine list, so why would we take a bottle of wine with us on the ship? I wonder if Princess is losing so much revenue from people taking wine with them to dinner that they are having to change the wine policy.

I just checked out the on line cruise answer book at the Princess website and I see no change in the wine policy

Good thing as I almost always bring 6 - 12 bottles on board (for our group).

Does anyone know what the duty is per bottle for bringing wine into Canada from US ?

Does anyone know what the duty is per bottle for bringing wine into Canada from US ?

After the first 1.5 L (two bottles per person), it's about double the cost. Def. not worth it - of course, you only pay the duty if you declare it!

:eek: Oh - no

jerwick -

I just received my "Cruise Answer Book" for a Sept cruise. In reading the alcohol policy I see that it has changed. You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person to bring on board. Also corkage fee is now $15.

\

Has anyone else received this update? My DH and I can only bring 2 bottles...Bummer!!! Do they still sell magnums? LOL:p

I'm looking at my book - dated - effective 12/05.I can't find info. I received this about a month ago for our Aug. cruise. However, I did find it in the Caribbean & Mexico book, pg109

You may bring wine and champagne onboard to celebrate a special occasion. Wines and\or Champagnes consumed in the dining rooms will be subject to $10.00 USD per bottle corkage fee.

That one bottle per person limit really doesn't make much sense when one considers that Princess cruises range from 1 night to over 30 nights. When we boarded the Diamond Princess in Sydney for a 28 night cruise, people were loading on multiple cases of wine (and water) for the cruise.

After the first 1.5 L (two bottles per person), it's about double the cost. Def. not worth it - of course, you only pay the duty if you declare it!

However would Canadian custmos know the cose of California and European wines ?

Looks to me like Carnival corporate is taking away yet another policy that made Princess special to those of us who have cruised with them for many years.

It's all about maximizing revenue.

Allen

DH and I brought 6 bottles of wine, port, etc. with us on our honeymoon just this month - no problem! We live in CA and have visited many wineries together, so we have a "special" champagne, and a "special" port, etc. We usually opened the wine to enjoy before dinner on our balcony, so I can't tell you about the corkage fee.

However, we were on the Sun Princess. Is it possible that this new policy is for the newer ships (Crown, in particular?)

-Vanessa

My wife and I have been on X n HAL often and always bring 6-8 bottles packed in our suitcase on board. No-one has ever said anything.

We only drink that wine in the room, and pre-dinner, post-dinner maybe. We still always order a bottle each dinner. I'd say most of our on board account is taken up by wine purchases.

The reason for bringing the extra on-board is often it is vintage wines, we've collected for 6-10 years, with the desire to drink it on special occasions....

We're trying Princess for the first time next Jan 27th on the Star. We're told Princess is very similar to X and HAL, almost 'premuim', so surely we'd be dissapointed if we could not take our usual wine on board.

We don't have any problems paying a corkage whatsoever, as the bottles we're brining on board, are worth $100-$250 min anyway.

but amy more information of wine policies, or new wine policies on princess would be greatly appreciated...

jc

toronto

Star Jan 27th 2007

My Answer Book, received two days ago, was the same as the one that I used last November. Page 19, in both under 'Alcohol Policy' states in part. "Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard". unquote -----"You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions". unquote. I find the phrase "may not be consumed onboard" interesting. It does not say that you 'must not' consume it onboard, it just suggests that you 'don't have to consume it onboard'

Just for the record I have always take a few bottles of wine onboard without any problems. I just hope however, that I never have to waste my time, trying to teach Princess the correct use of the English language!:rolleyes: john

My Answer Book, received two days ago, was the same as the one that I used last November. Page 19, in both under 'Alcohol Policy' states in part. "Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard". unquote -----"You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions". unquote. I find the phrase "may not be consumed onboard" interesting. It does not say that you 'must not' consume it onboard, it just suggests that you 'don't have to consume it onboard'

Just for the record I have always take a few bottles of wine onboard without any problems. I just hope however, that I never have to waste my time, trying to teach Princess the correct use of the English language!:rolleyes: john

I apologize for omitting the 'n' in the word 'taken':o john

Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise, prior to your disembarkation. You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $10 corkage fee.

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

In parenthesis in the "ALCOHOL POLICY" is (limit: one bottle per person)! AND para ends with -- subject to $15 corkage fee

The above is what's written in the book I received.....

Different Books for Different Folks ? ? ? ? ? :o

Wonder if they'll stop me?

In parenthesis in the "ALCOHOL POLICY" is (limit: one bottle per person)! AND para ends with -- subject to $15 corkage fee

The above is what's written in the book I received.....

Different Books for Different Folks ? ? ? ? ? :o

Wonder if they'll stop me?

It looks like it. I'm a Canadian. john

Archived