Cot or Aerobed?

as41shots

We'll be on the Westerdam in two weeks with the boys (12 and 16). There is no way the two of them will sleep in a pull out sofa together without WW III starting, so we are wondering whether to drag along the Aerobed or see if they can put a cot in the room. It is a category SA suite.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

David

The obvious (at least to the boys) solution is for you and DW to sleep on the sofa, and let the boys have the two twin sized beds. Unless, however, you plan to invoke the golden rule (he or she who has the gold, makes the rules).

I'm sure you will all be very comfortable.

Sounds like "the boys" need to learn a little discipline. They are spoiled to ride with mom and dad in an SA yet rebel to the point it's considered WWIII? Stick them in their own inside cabin in the bottom of steerage and see how they like THAT. Then ask again if they'd be willing to share a sofabed.

We'll be on the Westerdam in two weeks with the boys (12 and 16). There is no way the two of them will sleep in a pull out sofa together without WW III starting, so we are wondering whether to drag along the Aerobed or see if they can put a cot in the room. It is a category SA suite.

Any opinions?

I have six boys (22, 20, 16, 11, 10, and 6) so I think I'm pretty experienced with boys. They are neither spoiled nor undisciplined, yet I had the two oldest refuse to share a bed when they were teenagers. I provided a perfectly good double bed in a perfectly good Motel 6:D . The oldest chose to throw the bedspread on the floor and sleep on top of it, rather than sleep with his brother. I was fine with that. It's his funeral if he prefers to sleep on the floor.

What I would do in your case, David, (and I wish we could afford to take our boys crusing!) is call ship services (1-800-541-1576) and see if they have a cot or roll-away bed you can use. I don't think it's unreasonable of boys that age to not want to sleep together. Although I'm not sure I'd cart the aerobed along, I'd NEVER give up my bed for a sofa bed. There's always the floor if some other option cannot be arranged. :D

Robin

Sounds like "the boys" need to learn a little discipline. They are spoiled to ride with mom and dad in an SA yet rebel to the point it's considered WWIII? Stick them in their own inside cabin in the bottom of steerage and see how they like THAT. Then ask again if they'd be willing to share a sofabed.

Hmmm. I think, with almost certainty, the 16 year old would love to be in any cabin far away from his parents and suspect the 12 year old would not mind it either. They can then play " how many kids can we fit into our cabin at 3:00 AM". Happens all the time, even though kids are not supposed to be in cabins without an adult.

I have to wonder if HAL has cots available. Maybe that wouldn't even be a choice.

Stick them in their own inside cabin in the bottom of steerage and see how they like THAT. Then ask again if they'd be willing to share a sofabed.
That "option" would probably be more expensive and against the "rules" because the boys would be too young to be in a cabin alone. Yes, I know there are ways around that, but would you really think it is a good idea to put two boys, 12 and 16, in their own cabin on a different deck than their parents?

That's a bit harsh, judgemental, and over the top. Not to mention suggesting to break the rules by putting teenagers in their own cabin.

Ask HAL if they have a cot, if not explain it to the boys and say deal with sleeping on sofa bed together or alternate nights sleeping on floor with sofa cushions.

Not that it is any of your business since you have already made up your narrow mind about my family, but both boys are very active tossing and turning sleepers, and neither one would end up getting a good night's sleep getting kicked and shoved by his sleeping sibling. The two in the same little sofabed is not an option.... it just won't work... and lack of sleep leads to crabby kids, not to mention parents.

Is it possible to get a cabin that sleeps 4? I thought that some cabins had sort of a bunk bed setup. I don't know what the additional cost would be, but it might be the best solution. Talk to your TA or HAL and price the difference.

Not that it is any of your business since you have already made up your narrow mind about my family, but both boys are very active tossing and turning sleepers, and neither one would end up getting a good night's sleep getting kicked and shoved by his sleeping sibling. The two in the same little sofabed is not an option.... it just won't work... and lack of sleep leads to crabby kids, not to mention parents.

David, I'm not real familiar with Aeorbeds - how big are they? Do you set them up once or every evening?

When the sofa bed is pulled out there is not a lot of room since the table has to get moved around.

I think I would ask the boys to give it a try and after the first night if it doesn't work out get a cot (if they have them), or make a up bed on the floor and have them switch and a last resort let them sleep in the twins and you sleep on the sofa bed.

At some point they will be most likely be sleeping with a spouse and sometimes just knowing there is another person you just don't toss and turn as much.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

I have noticed on some ships that there is an extra pull down from the ceiling type of bed, directly above the couch. Perhaps if they have this arrangement on HAL, you could get that. As the previous poster said, it would be a cabin than took four passengers. Worth calling your TA about.. I don't really think there would be room for a cot in the cabin. pj

I'm pretty sure that HAL does indeed have roll-away cots available, at least I have seen them on some of the ships. That said, however, there is not an awful lot of room in the SA suites and it's going to get really crowded.

Honestly, your best bet would be to give up the SA and try to get one of the Quad cabins, it would be much more comfortable for all of you.

I travelled with my daughter and granddaughter this past Christmas aboard the Amsterdam and we had a Triple cabin. The sofa in that cabin was not a pull-out, rather they removed the back of the sofa and converted the seating into a single bed. We did not have a sofa to sit on but there was plenty of floor space for the three of us to move around in and it never seemed crowded.

Have a great cruise and I hope that the squabbling, which is natural amongst siblings, doesn't get too out of hand.

Valerie:)

Our experience in this type of cabin, is that the sofa bed does not pull out, so you don't loose any floor space. The bottom of the sofa is flipped over and there is a single bed. If you aren't flying, so you don't have to worry about luggage weight, the aerobed might be the answer. When deflated, the aerobed can be tucked under the bed and out of the way.

have a good trip. I wouldn't switch to a quad from an SA suite--it's such a nice cabin!

I'm sorry I can't help with this situation, but I have two teenagers as well and we have been booking two cabins for our group for some time now.

We have found that booking an outside balcony or suite with an inside across the hall works better for us, than all together in one cabin. The biggest plus is having TWO bathrooms! Of course, one of mine is a 17 yo daughter, and she spends much more time in the bathroom than my son. You may want to consider a switch, either for this cruise or future ones.

Your original booking would include one parent in each cabin, but it is no trouble to switch so parents share one room, siblings another.

Beth

Thanks for the suggestions. It is too late to do any switching, and I think going forward the two room solution will be the best way to go. The Aerobed will probably be the best solution for this year. It folds to the size of a medium-sized suitcase and can be deflated or just stood on end in the morning to get it out of the way.

Have you stated the problem to the boys (one bed, two persons) and asked them how they would solve it? Often if teens are included in the decision process, they will buy into the solution much quicker than if they are told, "that's the way it is."

I'd also suggest that you keep reality involved as they discuss it. If the aerobed is the solution chosen, include them in the "who is going to get it on the ship", "where would it fit" questions.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is too late to do any switching, and I think going forward the two room solution will be the best way to go. The Aerobed will probably be the best solution for this year. It folds to the size of a medium-sized suitcase and can be deflated or just stood on end in the morning to get it out of the way.

I never travel without my aero bed when vacationing with the kids or anyone else for that matter. It always solves the problem.:)

It may not be too late to do any switching. It sure wouldn't hurt to call HAL or your TA and see if anything can be done. There might not be, but then again the upgrade fairy may strike.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

David

David,

Just got off the phone with Guest Services, as I have the same question. Instead of 2 boys, I have a Daughter 12 and Son 10. Unfortunately, having two cabins is cost prohibitive for us. We thought we could manage a week in a suite. All along, I thought for sure that HA offered roll aways. Just now, Kim confirmed that in fact they DON'T. The room has a King size bed (2 lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed like the website says) and a sofa bed for 2 people (not sure if that was a queen or double). Well, looks as this is going to be a VERRRRY LONNNNGGG week in November for us. This SA is a cabin to accomodate 4.

The sofabed in an SA is a very good sized bed, probably equivalent to a queen. We had 2 adult daughters share 1 for 11 days and they were very comfortable. The single sofa bed in the smaller cabins, however, is a different story.

GN

The sofabed in an SA is a very good sized bed, probably equivalent to a queen. We had 2 adult daughters share 1 for 11 days and they were very comfortable. The single sofa bed in the smaller cabins, however, is a different story.

GN

Thanks for that info. A queen size might actually work for these two... it is the typical pull out that is barely full size that I am concerned about.

jmastron,

The suites do have lots of space...perhaps a single inflatable bed might solve your problem also...just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will need to consider. Hoping for good weather, then I'll have my son sleep out on the verandah!!

Take the "virtual tour" of the deluxe veranda suite on the HAL website. It's a contoured couch with curved extending sections on either side. The center section is quite long. When it was extended in our SA on the Zaandam it was almost as big as the king sized bed. My daughters are not petite or short and they had plenty of room.

The single sofa bed unfolds from the middle and is only as long as the sofa itself. These beds are in the smaller mini suites that are designated "triple". I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Gn

Archived