More pod problems on Infinity!!!

bonbon663

I am on Infinity Sept 13, an a B2B Alaska /Panama Canal, hope the "pods" will behave themselves - though to be honest I am not a port enthusiast, so time missed would not bother me providing they extend things to do - like a free wine tasting , special extra afternoon tea.

I do not get on well with things mechanical - in fact I can barely operate this infernal machine I am on right now.

Have fun

We are moving along, and just had an announcement that our arrival to Sitka will be an hour late. I forgot to mention earlier that the itinerary has changed. It's now....Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Junuea, Ketchikan, inside passage, then vancouver. The captain did say we would stay an extra hour in Sitka to make up for the delay getting there, so, no biggie. It is very foggy, hard to see anything. Anyhow...I went to a lecture about shopping in the ports......DON"T GO!! waste of time unless you plan to spend a whole lot of money on diamonds. Ok, off to the spa to get all dolled up for formal night. I can't wait. Although, with the motion of the ship, I feel as though I'm drunk all the time, should be interesting with heels on...:eek:

Do you have any idea if this is a permanent itinerary change?? We have private excursions planned and that will just mess EVERYTHING up!!!!

Do you have any idea if this is a permanent itinerary change?? We have private excursions planned and that will just mess EVERYTHING up!!!!

Cstorm, I was told once by a independent person who does excursions, who by the way was Capt. Larry's whale watching office that they in fact know more about the changes to a schedule far enough ahead of time that there would not be a problem. If it was me I would call ahead of time to verify if there is going to be a change. I was also told by an independent in Bar Harbor, Maine that they are well aware of the schedules of the ships coming into port.

Marilyn

Cstorm, also make sure to take along the email addresses of any private excursions that you have arranged. As expensive as the internet rates are, they are cheaper than ship to shore telephone rates!

Donna, hope all goes well and you have a great time. We fell in love with cruising on the Infinity on an Alaska cruise.

Susan

Bonbon 663

Thanks so much for sharing your cruise with us. Four of us will be on the August 13th Infinity cruise and we hope everything goes well. We were originally scheduled on the Summit's May Alaska cruise that was cancelled at the last minute due to "pod problems". You can understand how concerned we are that the August 13th cruise has no problems. Naturally I am keeping a close watch on this board to keep informed about the Infinity. It was only because of Cruise Critic's NEWS section that I found out about the May cancellation as I never received notifycation from Celebrity of our TA.

This will be our third cruise with Celebrity. Our last cruise with Celebrity we were supposed to go to Bermuda but were informed as we boarded the Horizon that we were going to New England instead. Hurricane.

For those of us on upcoming Infinity Alaska cruises, information such as you are providing gives us a heads-up that hopefully will help us avoid as many problems as possible. As we will bring our laptop, we hope to help other future cruisers just as you are helping us stay informed. I think all will agree that information posted on the boards is often more accurate that what we see on the news or hear from the cruise lines.

We certainly hope that you have a great cruise and that your worry about the motion of the ship while at sea has been calmed. We have always enjoyed cruising and feel that Celebrity is one of the best lines who has always treated us fairly when problems arise. For someone who has been through a hurricane in the Atlantic on a much smaller ship your voyage should be relative smooth. Consider the Crown Princess "15 degree list problem" in a hurricane that kind of thing can go on for hours, back and fourth.

We look forward to further installments of your cruise vacation. Please don't hesitate to include good news too. The food, service and everything else have always been very good on Celebrity. Best wishes and thanks for all your much appreciated efforts to calm our concerns for the upcoming cruises.

Cstorm, I was told once by a independent person who does excursions, who by the way was Capt. Larry's whale watching office that they in fact know more about the changes to a schedule far enough ahead of time that there would not be a problem. If it was me I would call ahead of time to verify if there is going to be a change. I was also told by an independent in Bar Harbor, Maine that they are well aware of the schedules of the ships coming into port.

Marilyn

I already have email addresses in "the binder" which has EVERYTHING in it. I'm going to try and get in touch with Capt Larry and Northern Lights/ Ken to see what they know. The other excursion is booked through X so that one is their problem, not mine ;) .

Donna ~ so good to hear from you and to hear that you are enjoying your first cruise. Here's hoping your trip is wonderful and you are hooked on cruising like the rest of us. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back.

ENJOY

Appears there are more problems. The ship should be in Sitka today according to bonbon and it's not. It's at open sea today. Looks like my cruise might be doomed :( ...

CStorm,

I'm on the same sailing you are, and have been watching the webcams with the same diligence.

Of the many things I've learned from reading these boards, one of the most important is that attitude counts for a lot. If our sailing next Sunday doesn't have the itinerary we thought it would, or if we spend days at sea instead of cruising the Inside Passage, I'll be disappointed, but will still have a very good time. I won't be home, I won't be working, and I won't have to deal with the thousands of things I deal with everyday.

It won't be doomed ... it might just be, well, different.

Please try to think positively with me. If Infinity has problems next week, let's just plan to meet in Michael's Bar for a nice glass of bubbly to toast our surprising fortune.

Expecting the best,

quahog8

I don't mind the altered itinerary, I'm just afraid it's having pod problems again and it's not going to sail at all! I'll be thrilled to be on the ship as long as it's not in Vancouver all week!!

There is a group of 7 of us and we would LOVE to meet you for a glass of bubbly!

Here's to hoping they let us on the ship and it actually sails away!

KeyDoctor,

Come join our roll call! I'm in the Phoenix area as well and am so anxious to get out of this heat!

Watching the pod issues with great interest, I'd be soooooo disappointed if our cruise was cancelled.

is it possible that sitka is a tendering port and its really docked when we think its moving?

Sitka is a tendered port however if you look at the labcam and the cafecam, there are TONS of people in both spots so I don't think it's at a port.

If you look at Bonbons message of yesterday, the Captain had indicated they would get to Sitka late but would stay an extra hour - don't panic - well not yet anyway!

It looks to me like she's docked. I thought bonbon said they would be one hour late getting in and staying one hour extra. I could be wrong. Infinity was 3 hours late getting to Sitka. Like I have said all along, I am flexible! I understand that things happen. I just want to be able to go!!

[quote name='florisdekort']The weather sucks... but let's not blame that on Celebrity ;)[/quote]

I wouldn't think of it!:) I'm just glad she's where she's supposed to be ;) , well sort of...

BonBon663,
You should be able to see two propeller wakes when you are under power in open seas. If there is a pod problem similar to the Summit you may only see one propeller wake when in open seas. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Hopefully you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

[quote name='cruiser2004']BonBon663,
You should be able to see two propeller wakes when you are under power in open seas. If there is a pod problem similar to the Summit you may only see one propeller wake when in open seas. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Hopefully you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.[/quote]

Well that's good information. We have an aft balcony so we should definitely be able to tell that!;)

[quote name='CStorm']Well that's good information. We have an aft balcony so we should definitely be able to tell that!;)[/QUOTE]
What cabin are you in CStorm? We also have an AFT cabin for our 8/13 cruise.

[quote name='Goofyisme']The ship anchored off Sitka right now is definitely not Infinity[/quote]

I just went into cruise.cal and the other ship that is at Sitka is the Holland America Zaandam. Thought you would like to know. I do know that when we were there 3 years ago the ship which was the pacific Princess was facing toward the town. But obviously when you are tendered in the bay the ship does move around. Sitka does sit in a beautiful bay.

Marilyn

Archived