RCI's New Alcohol Policy effective 7/28/06? (merged)

Recieved this official information today:

-Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverage consumption, on all RCI ships will be 21.

Is this anywhere on the RCCL site? My sister will be on the Explorer on July 28 and her son complained that if they waited until the following cruise then he could (with their permission) have beer.

-Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverage consumption, on all RCI ships will be 21.

-An individuals age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

-Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

-Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense in accordance with the Guest Vacation Policies.

-Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

FYI, Baltimore/Grandeur, as of July 21st, has begun confiscating any wine, beer or alcohol bring brought onboard ship at embarkation.

Yea but - who are you??

You cite no link, no refernce and you dont even say where you "recieved" this information from.....

Hope you didnt go to too much trouble making this all up....

I never understood why RCL has duty free stores at their embarkation piers. Particularly San Juan. I used to work in the duty free industry years ago. Duty free Stores are in airports, borders and piers to purchase items free of duty and taxes that are intended to be taken out and consumed out of the United States territory. When I worked in the duty frees stores at JFK it was illegal to bring back merchandise purchased at a duty free store in the US back into the US.

That is why I don't understand why RCL wants to confiscate your duty free liquor and give it back to you after you completed your cruise. It seems they are violating the United States Custom rules by doing this.

I agree. How do we know you didn't make this up?

I saw someone post this here a few weeks ago. Let me see if I can find the link. Basically I think it came down to a DRAFT memo that RCCL was circulating...but I can't remember all of the details. Let me see if I can find that link.

Nobody really has to mess with this--just buy your drinks onboard! Unless you plan on being totally soused the entire trip, it isn't an unreasonable cost. No different than going to a nightclub--you can't bring your own alcohol there, either! When cruising, you just figured it into your cost of the vacation.

We would never bring hard alcohol on the ship. If we want a martini, we'll go to the lounge and get one. We're not looking to get sauced the cheapest way possible by any means.

For us, we like to bring 2-3 bottles of nice wine in our bags. Why? Simply because we like good wine with our dinner. From looking at the wine list for RCI, it looks like they don't have a great selection, and it is way overpriced for what you do get.

Others may disagree, but I think their new policy is unreasonable. I can understand what they are trying to achieve (I think!!), but it may cost them a whole lot more in the long run.

Nobody really has to mess with this--just buy your drinks onboard! Unless you plan on being totally soused the entire trip, it isn't an unreasonable cost. No different than going to a nightclub--you can't bring your own alcohol there, either! When cruising, you just figured it into your cost of the vacation.

I couldn't agree more

We would never bring hard alcohol on the ship. If we want a martini, we'll go to the lounge and get one. We're not looking to get sauced the cheapest way possible by any means.

For us, we like to bring 2-3 bottles of nice wine in our bags. Why? Simply because we like good wine with our dinner. From looking at the wine list for RCI, it looks like they don't have a great selection, and it is way overpriced for what you do get.

Others may disagree, but I think their new policy is unreasonable. I can understand what they are trying to achieve (I think!!), but it may cost them a whole lot more in the long run.

So if they did not have a good bourbon that I liked, or if it was over priced, would it then be ok if I brought my own on board.:confused:

It's been several years since we've cruised on RCI. We usually bring a couple of bottles of champagne on board with us and purchase lots of cocktails, wine and beer on board. We are not cheapos when it comes to spending money during our cruises. We also purchase shore excursions and things in the gift shops, etc... Why would they want prevent folks from embarking for bringing a bottle or two of bubbly to celebrate in your room with your honey? I think that if hotels had this policy, many folks would simply go elsewhere. If I do hear of people being denied boarding for something like this, then I certainly will not bring anything on board with me. I think it's ridiculous to treat full-fare paying adults like children. Are you still able to purchase alcohol for consumption in your cabin from the store on board with a service fee? (I think RCI did this.)

Go ahead and flame me if you wish... I simply cannot believe the micro-management of the passengers by RCI.

Wow.

Taters

So can I buy a bottle of wine onboard and take it back to enjoy on my balcony?

I would rather buy it onboard than drag it with me but just want to keep a bottle in my room. I am not sure if this is possible anymore.

Jackie

I never understood why RCL has duty free stores at their embarkation piers. Particularly San Juan. I used to work in the duty free industry years ago. Duty free Stores are in airports, borders and piers to purchase items free of duty and taxes that are intended to be taken out and consumed out of the United States territory. When I worked in the duty frees stores at JFK it was illegal to bring back merchandise purchased at a duty free store in the US back into the US.

That is why I don't understand why RCL wants to confiscate your duty free liquor and give it back to you after you completed your cruise. It seems they are violating the United States Custom rules by doing this.

This used to be the normal situation on RCCL cruises. People would buy lots and lots of alcohol to get it duty-free, and then RCCL would store it for them, giving it back to them the last night. This was common, and some people would go on cruises to St. Thomas to buy their cigs and alcohol to stock up. People rarely, almost never, brought it into their staterooms.

However, this is when a drink was a whole bunch cheaper, too.

-An individuals age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

-Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

-Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense in accordance with the Guest Vacation Policies.

-Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

FYI, Baltimore/Grandeur, as of July 21st, has begun confiscating any wine, beer or alcohol bring brought onboard ship at embarkation.

That is wonderful. Maybe they won't have to carry as many people back to their room now. It might even lower the cruise price because they can make some more money on drinks now.

i dont understand why nobody can agree on this 18-20 year old drinking policy. There should be a clear cut answer, yet we arent all in agreement as to which policy is correct. I dont get it.

Is this anywhere on the RCCL site? My sister will be on the Explorer on July 28 and her son complained that if they waited until the following cruise then he could (with their permission) have beer.

Well, if he is 21 on the following cruise, then he doesn't need permission.

I would say this new policy completely eliminates the waiver permission form that parents can sign for beer and wine for 18 - 20 year olds. Under 21 now means no alcohol.

Archived