New Crown Discussion

rebeccalouise

On the Caribbean Princess my family got hooked on the pizza that was available all day by the pool. Does the Crown have the same thing? We are scheduled to go on the Crown next summer but the kids want me cancel if there is no pizza.

Thanks so much for your description of your experience with anytime dining.

It sounds like we would really like the concept. We don't like being so "scheduled" while on vacation and would enjoy eating at different times on different days depending on our activities and mood of the day! The 15 minute wait would not bother us.

Again, thanks for your comments.

lovin2liv,

Thought that was a wonderful and insightfull answer, till you got to the very unreasonable and mistaken notion that the coffee wasn't that bad ;) it was awful. I've been home nursing my Jamaican Blue Mountain for over a week now and am sad because the pound will be gone soon.

I have to say that Anytime Dining was a huge hit with me. So much so that I had my TA request it.

On the Caribbean Princess my family got hooked on the pizza that was available all day by the pool. Does the Crown have the same thing? We are scheduled to go on the Crown next summer but the kids want me cancel if there is no pizza.

Yes, the pizza eaters were raving and it did look good (pizza is a staple at my house. I will not eat it on vacation).

I have to say the Pizza is New York style. Very thin crust. Us midwesterners LOVE our thick Chicago style pizza.

lovin2liv,

Thought that was a wonderful and insightfull answer, till you got to the very unreasonable and mistaken notion that the coffee wasn't that bad ;) it was awful. I've been home nursing my Jamaican Blue Mountain for over a week now and am sad because the pound will be gone soon.

Nancy, that's funny. Believe me, I had my Gevalia coffee and the coffee pot ready to go with us, and decided not to due to room.

I really didn't mind it...maybe my tastebuds are getting a little lax forgiving, ...and maybe too, I just wanted to have a great experience with everything on this ship and I wasn't going to let a cup of Java get in the way...But I really truly didn't mind it. Really....truly!

lovin2liv,

I really didn't mind it...maybe my tastebuds are getting a little lax forgiving, ...and maybe too, I just wanted to have a great experience with everything on this ship and I wasn't going to let a cup of Java get in the way...But I really truly didn't mind it. Really....truly!

You are more firgiving than I! The list I can forgive, the coffee? Maybe not so much!! LOL!

One of the best reasons to go to Jamaica is the ability to return with several pounds of Blue Mountain coffee. My DH loves it and non-coffee drinker that I am, I will even drink Blue Mountain. (Though the Appleton Rum or Rum Cream from Jamaica would be my preferred Jamaican drink.;) )

We can purchase Blue Mountain here in Iowa in a couple shops, but it is VERY, VERY PRICEY!:eek:

One of the best reasons to go to Jamaica is the ability to return with several pounds of Blue Mountain coffee. My DH loves it and non-coffee drinker that I am, I will even drink Blue Mountain. (Though the Appleton Rum or Rum Cream from Jamaica would be my preferred Jamaican drink.;) )

We can purchase Blue Mountain here in Iowa in a couple shops, but it is VERY, VERY PRICEY!:eek:

How much is it in Jamaica, and is there any limit?

We bought several pounds (4 packages) when we were there last year at various prices! We found the least expensive place to purchase it was the airport, and this was even after much bartering at a couple other shops. Go figure! This was true for the rum as well.

Do not be afraid to bargain down the price, but I honestly can't remember what we actually paid- the prices were all over the place. Sorry. I know it was much cheaper than ordering it on line, or buying it at the coffee shop in town.

Why is this looney posting about this? Has anyone counted how many threads she has started about the Crown?

She rants about Princess - she says they are terrible - and now she is asking about another Princess sailing? She said that she doesn't trust the company - they are only interested in profits, not people. Blah Blah Blah

Why would the OP sail Princess?

How much is it in Jamaica, and is there any limit?

As far as I know, there's no limit. In one shopping area (the Taj Mahal), every third shop or so had the coffee. For the identical whole beans, the prices ranged from $18 to $25. And they didn't care if you told them, "but the place next door has it for $18!" If their price is $25, you can take it or leave it.

Needless to say, I found the place with the $18 price. :D

As far as I know, there's no limit. In one shopping area (the Taj Mahal), every third shop or so had the coffee. For the identical whole beans, the prices ranged from $18 to $25. And they didn't care if you told them, "but the place next door has it for $18!" If their price is $25, you can take it or leave it.

Needless to say, I found the place with the $18 price. :D

DH thinks we paid around 13.00 for ground at one place, but I think at another is was more in the 10.00 range. This was in Mo Bay, not Ocho.

I brought back 5 lbs of regular and one of decaf for my parents last year. I negotiated a price of $16.00 per pound. It pretty much seemd to be $18.00 everywhere else but this lovely woman was open to negotiations and got my sale. Note that this was the Jablum brand, the best one in our opinion.

Barnie's here has 100% Jamaican for around $40 lb. Outrageous!!!!

Hello cruisecritic people, I'm ramettainn, but just call me Mike. This is my first post(ever) and I'm really excited be a part of this... Anywho away from that, I'm slated to go on the 8/7 sailing of the Crown, 8 days! So excited... A word on the "list"- my wife and I were quite skeptical the day we heard it on the news... Ironically I had just returned from the travel agent getting the tix from her and I walked in to the TV room with my comp to show her some shorts I was planning to buy for the cruise, then bam! "A luxury Cruise ship, the Crown Princess, has listed heavily at sea" Wow was I scared for those people on board. Since they have now confirmed it was a human error- I feel better. If you had to "pick a poison"- mechanical, human error, or computer, you would pick human, b/c, as Princess told me, the guy has been fired... I am really excited, I have 2 balcony rooms on the Baja deck us and our kids... I'm really glad to get on here to meet other people who are "obsessed" with cruises, as my wife would say. I'm not a 15+ cruise guy, but this is #4 for me, come on, I'm getting there! Someone respond, thanks!

Do you know that I'm so wild about the coffee there that even though I was only traveling home with the clothes on my back, I still bought coffee at the airport to bring home!

Now if only I had some more to enjoy tomorrow I would be a happy camper.

We are visiting Ocho Rios in 5 weeks aboard the Rhapsody and I want to buy 4-5 lbs to take home. Our excursion will be a day pass at the Sunset Jamaica Grande. I'm assuming there is shopping right there at the port. I'm so excited! Probably won't buy any other souvenirs so I can stock up on the coffee.

We are visiting Ocho Rios in 5 weeks aboard the Rhapsody and I want to buy 4-5 lbs to take home. Our excursion will be a day pass at the Sunset Jamaica Grande. I'm assuming there is shopping right there at the port. I'm so excited! Probably won't buy any other souvenirs so I can stock up on the coffee.

You're so lucky! Enjoy it.

Hello cruisecritic people, I'm ramettainn, but just call me Mike. This is my first post(ever) and I'm really excited be a part of this... Anywho away from that, I'm slated to go on the 8/7 sailing of the Crown, 8 days! So excited... A word on the "list"- my wife and I were quite skeptical the day we heard it on the news... Ironically I had just returned from the travel agent getting the tix from her and I walked in to the TV room with my comp to show her some shorts I was planning to buy for the cruise, then bam! "A luxury Cruise ship, the Crown Princess, has listed heavily at sea" Wow was I scared for those people on board. Since they have now confirmed it was a human error- I feel better. If you had to "pick a poison"- mechanical, human error, or computer, you would pick human, b/c, as Princess told me, the guy has been fired... I am really excited, I have 2 balcony rooms on the Baja deck us and our kids... I'm really glad to get on here to meet other people who are "obsessed" with cruises, as my wife would say. I'm not a 15+ cruise guy, but this is #4 for me, come on, I'm getting there! Someone respond, thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Have a great time on your cruise.

Have you checked the roll-call section to see if anyone else on the board is going on your same sailing?

Mike,

Welcome, the boards can be very informative. The Crown list thing doesn't bother me at all. If we could do another cruise this year I would be sailing again! Have a great time on the Crown! I wish it were us.

The Crown is definately on our list for our next cruise, I am waiting till they offer us a really great deal!

DH thinks we paid around 13.00 for ground at one place, but I think at another is was more in the 10.00 range. This was in Mo Bay, not Ocho.
Judi, those sound like half-pound prices......:confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Mike!

I'd love to hear how you picked your CC name.

Hello cruisecritic people, I'm ramettainn, but just call me Mike. This is my first post(ever) and I'm really excited be a part of this... Anywho away from that, I'm slated to go on the 8/7 sailing of the Crown, 8 days! ..., I have 2 balcony rooms on the Baja deck us and our kids... I'm really glad to get on here to meet other people who are "obsessed" with cruises, as my wife would say. I'm not a 15+ cruise guy, but this is #4 for me, come on, I'm getting there! Someone respond, thanks!

Mike....come on over and join our roll call for the 8/7 cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237729

There are about 100 of us...including lots of "20" somethingsand a few teens. We are planning two get togethers...so come check out who you will be sailing with in 7 days!

Soundwaves and Lovn2liv

YIPPEEE! Two more positive feedbacks from The Crown! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I have taken everything you have written "on board" and especially the Princess Love Boat dessert!!

Only 108 more days to go and we set off from the UK to join The Crown and cannot wait! Sorry, not sure how to do the ticker tape thing at the bottom of the message!

Best wishes

Jage

Soundwaves and Lovn2liv

YIPPEEE! Two more positive feedbacks from The Crown! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I have taken everything you have written "on board" and especially the Princess Love Boat dessert!!

Only 108 more days to go and we set off from the UK to join The Crown and cannot wait! Sorry, not sure how to do the ticker tape thing at the bottom of the message!

Best wishes

Jage

Jage....try this link...http://www.*****/forum/create-a-vacation-countdown-ticker-2747.html

then they will give you a code (string of letters/numbers?) and just cut and paste this into your CC signature...from the CC discussion board home page, click on User CP on the top left of screen...then click on edit signature and copy the code ...I think that should do it!

Hi,

We just ended our 7-day (shortened) voyage. The Captain and his team did a magnificant job restoring the Crown to better than one can believe. If you were not aware of the problems and damage you would never know it.

Those who may have cancelled because of the Media Hype, made a serious mistake. The crew and service personnel could not have been nicer. Just ask them for something and they accommodated.

We are Elite Passengers with 18 cruises on Princess. There have been some changes, but not enough to deture us from continuing to book future cruises.

THANKS, PRINCESS!!!

Bobmac :)

Archived