Pinnacle Grill

dam1050

Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced the Pinnacle Grill?

• Yes - And would definitely go back / recommend
    • Yes - It was just 'OK', but not worth repeating
    • No - But I do intend to on a future cruise
    • No - I will resist until they remove charges

I voted no, but I intend to try because I have not been on Hal yet. I intend to try it on my upcoming cruise in Feb 05. I have eaten at other ones, Sabertine's was one. I like trying different restaunts on board the ships as it adds a difference to the trip. This will be my first HAL trip. :D :D :D

We have very much enjoyed many wonderful evenings in Pinnacles on Zuiderdam, Maasdam and Rotterdam. We are looking forward to more great dinner on Maasdam in Pinnacle during our upcoming cruise.

This friday evening, god willing, we will be seated at a window seat for 2 in the Pinnacle aboard the Ryndam watching the sites of the Vancouver area vanish!:D That is heaven!!!

I can almost taste that wonderful smooth red wine in the beautiful crystal glass, and the refreshing taste of a sip of Pellagrino after, not to mention the menu.....Okay darn it, now I am hungry!!!!:eek:

Because the food served is that different and that much better than the main dining room it is worth the extra $20 but it is not worth missing the main dining room food for. To me it is hard to pick which night to go alternate.

What if you miss lobster night? or prime rib night? or heaven forbid the escargo night? You can't get escargo or prime rib at the Pinnacle. So I always book for first night for $10 , go to early seating to sample the meal there and then to the Pinnacle for late night gormet meal. Sort of the best of both worlds approach. You get the same great meal at the Pinnacle for half price and you don't miss your favorite item in the main dining room. Sure it might add to my crusie weight for the week but it's a cruise, am I suppose to be a diet that week?

I voted on the recommend because we plan to retry on the Ryndam in November but were not that thrilled April of 2003 on the Zuirderdam, we are hoping it was just a bad night. The first was good but I would not rate superior. I thought it was just 1 or 2 steps above the main dining room but not worth $40.00 plus tip more. Maybe living in Las Vegas I have been exposed to too many find dining restaurants.

Localady, I can't wait to hear how it is for you on the Ryndam this Friday.

For some reason this board just does not have them many that cruise on the Ryndam. I guess because so few from the West Coast are active on this board.

Hate to be one of the dissenters on this subject, but we have tried the Pinnacle on both the Amsterdam and Oosterdam and were very disappointed. We felt the food was not that much better, especially considering the cost. We also found the service to be excruciatingly slow on both occasions. To each his own, but for us we will most likely not repeat.

Jerry

We really enjoyed the Odyssey on the Zuiderdam. Great food and wonderful service. We really enjoy a leisurely meal, so slow service in that venue doesn't bother us at all. We tend to eat too quickly most of the time, anyway. It's a nice break for us to take an hour and a half or so to dine.

Hi!

We have eaten at the Pinnacle Grill three times now, and probably will again when we sail on the Rotterdam in October.

However, to be truthful, although I have found the meat to be wonderful, I have found the vegetables very disappointing.

I wish they would change the menu once in a while; especially for the desserts.

Just my humble opinion.

Best regards,

Carol Ann

I have found the meat to be wonderful, I have found the vegetables very disappointing.

I wish they would change the menu once in a while....

I agree on all counts. The meats were excellent, but I'm not fond of most of the various vegetables available (I'm not fond of Asparagus). If they would change their menu around some, I'd like it more.

However, as it is, for one night on (especially) a longer cruise, the Pinnacle Grill is a nice variation, and well-worth the price.

We plan to enjoy one evening in the Pinnacle Grill on Maasdam next month. This will be our first HAL cruise, and also the first time on all of our cruises that we will dine in a restaurant that has a surcharge -- it sounds as if it is worth every penny, and more.

Had Bad experience Oct. 2003, Band noise from the other side of the wall, over powered the conversation and the piped in music. Food was not that great either. Party of 8 (eight) could not sit together, My table was finished with our food before the other table got their food. It was a anniversary

Party. I have been to pinnacle grills on other ships and had a great time.

Happy Sailing . Edwh

Guest Anorak33

Dined at Pinnacle on Statendam 16th May 2004.

Food was OK but waiter unhelpful.

Winewaiter had not opened red wine to allow it to breathe although we had ordered it a few days in advance. It was ready to drink by the time we got dessert. That's too late.

Next day I noticed the wine had been charged for wrong (too much) .

I queried this at the Front Office and heard no more - on the last day when I received my final statement the charge for wine had been removed. I did not query it further.

I don't think I'll go back. It seems like a racial supremacist thing they have going where you pay more and get a European waiter intead of an Asian one.

I don't like that much.

:)

When the Maasdam first came out of dry dock the end of Oct 2003, the Pinnacle Grill had just been added. The waitstaff was new and had not really been trained. Having eaten on other ships in the Pinnacle Grill we were disappointed - both food and waitstaff.

But that did not stop us from eating in the Pinnacle Grill on other ships. We have since eaten many dinners there on the Oosterdam (Feb/Mar). And, yes, we tried the Pinnacle Grill on the Maasdam in May - what a change - ate there several times.

:)

I am so happy to hear that Maasdam's Pinnacle is as good as it should be.

When we were last aboard Maasdam (just after KK), Pinnacle was "getting better" but our first experience there was disappointing. Nevertheless, we went back for a second (and maybe third dinner) and the next was much better.

Can't wait to enjoy at least one dinner there in just a few weeks.

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the Ryndam last November and enjoyed it tremendously. We have booked it for the first night of our October cruise on the Volendam.

They did warn us that our party of nine might not be seated at one table.

P.S. On the Ryndam last year, there were not European waiters.

We just returned home last night from our 6/12 Maasdam cruise after continuing on with other vacation plans for 3 weeks, so I have not been able to post a review or comment yet. I haven't found a review on here yet from any other June pax to compare experiences and thoughts, so if there is please will somebody tell me where.

Not only did we find the Pinnacle food and service to be outstanding, but we simply LOVED the ship, the officers and crew, all our stewards, the dining room, our suite and everything we experienced (except possibly a port or 2 that we felt could have been eliminated). No complaints about anything (and regulars here know I would say it if we had) and can't wait to sail the Maasdam again.

We've dined in two Pinnacles (both "Z" ships) twice each. Most recently on the ZUI in May. Have had very good experiences -- prefer their filet mignon over their seafood.

Very fine service from our waiter "Attila" (I'm not kidding!!); he says everyone calls him "Honey" for his nickname!! He was our waiter both nights on the ZUI, and I recommend requesting him.

We do not book the Pinnacle on the evenings that are Formal in the main dining room -- those are typically the nights that have the best food in the main dining room.

Archived