Identity of Cruise Director, Concierge, etc.

Rosetta

True story about terrible CD that wasn't.

On our 19 day Pearl cruise last year, we often saw the CD sitting and talking with passengers or out and about. Since we had met him earlier in the cruise at some get together I would wave, nod, smile or say hello. He seemed to ignore us and sometimes give a less than favorable visual response like I was annoying him.

We really wondered what his problem was. then about 10 days in to the cruise after another put off passing him while he sat in the buffet, I turned the corner and almost ran into him.

WRONG - turns out one of the guests was a dead ringer for him and dressed nice enough that it fit. Case of mistaken identity. Laughed at my ignorance after that.

I wasn't the OP for this post but will jump in with my own inquiry -- I'm wondering who is currently serving as Concierge on the Dawn.

Many thanks, Flying Pirate (and also to Rosetta for raising the question).

The amazing Anshuman returns March 28.

True story about terrible CD that wasn't.

On our 19 day Pearl cruise last year, we often saw the CD sitting and talking with passengers or out and about. Since we had met him earlier in the cruise at some get together I would wave, nod, smile or say hello. He seemed to ignore us and sometimes give a less than favorable visual response like I was annoying him.

We really wondered what his problem was. then about 10 days in to the cruise after another put off passing him while he sat in the buffet, I turned the corner and almost ran into him.

WRONG - turns out one of the guests was a dead ringer for him and dressed nice enough that it fit. Case of mistaken identity. Laughed at my ignorance after that.

Great story!!

For those lucky enough to be on the Dawn anytime soon, the wonderful Hugo is back from vacation and is HD.

Alain has also just come back and is F & B Dir.

As mentioned, Anshuman will be back shortly as concierge.

CD John Ibrahim will be going on vacation and Shona (never met her) will be CD.

We will be back on for the 3 nighter at the end of Apr. and really look forward to seeing these wonderful officers soon.:D

Hugo, Klaus and Armando are all fantastic HDs. Dwen Bins, while simple the NICEST HD on NCL, is only a so-so HD--I think he needs to be more of an SOB to be effective.

I'm always delighted to hear that Karan is an amazing Concierge--we met Karan on the Star in 2003 and he was an amazing butler, so good he was DOING the Concierge's job for us as well as butling superbly. I don't even know who the Concierge was then, and, unfortunately, we haven't met up with Karan since.

For us, still, the two best are Ruthie Haggar, now on the Jade, and Simone Weigel, on the Star. Others, like Alex Forbes and (now gone) Claudio are always a pleasure as well.

We'll be on the Pearl the end of August. Does anyone know if Simon will still be the Cruise Director? How about the Concierge? F&B Manager? Hotel Director? Thanks.

Kathy

Food and bev should be Tony Lockett (we love him and his sense of humor!!!!) but don't know about the other spots....we're on the repositioning out of LA May 3rd, so if you ask again, I'll let you know who's on then!:cool:

Now the Cruise Director on the Dawn Matt Baker is outstanding, he always on the go, full of engery, can be seen on stage and off stage during the week, easy to talk too and has crazy ideas. He rates high on my list of cruise directors. He knows how to get into the crowd and make people laugh. If you cruise the dawn or another ship with him you will love him

We just had Matt Baker on the Sky March 16-20th. Awesome guy.

For those lucky enough to be on the Dawn anytime soon' date=' the wonderful Hugo is back from vacation and is HD.

Alain has also just come back and is F & B Dir.

As mentioned, Anshuman will be back shortly as concierge.

CD John Ibrahim will be going on vacation and Shona (never met her) will be CD.

We will be back on for the 3 nighter at the end of Apr. and really look forward to seeing these wonderful officers soon.:D[/quote']

Thanks, Barb!

Wow -- Hugo, Alain & Anshuman: The A-team!

Food and bev should be Tony Lockett (we love him and his sense of humor!!!!) but don't know about the other spots....we're on the repositioning out of LA May 3rd, so if you ask again, I'll let you know who's on then!:cool:

Whenever Tony's on-board we try to have dinner with him at least once! Last August, we had a MARVELOUS "Green Flash" at sunset on the Jade and Tony (and Ruth) were enthralled. Tony said he had been looking for it for 18 years and thought it was nothing but a myth...then he saw it! I caught it on camera and gave him copies.

DSC00144.jpg.e168f15e7f6e201636610d80fe58873a.jpg

Hi, I was just at a restaurant in Sanibel/Captiva, FL called the Green Flash, which was awesome. I'd never heard the it - sounds like quite a phenomenon (the aurora borealis is on my list of things to see before I die - should I add 'green flash LOL?). There was a blurb in the menu but I'd love to hear what you saw! Did it look like this pic? thx.

300px-Inferior_Mirage_green_flash.jpg

TOMCT: This is a great post, and an example of what would be nice to see posted and/or updated on a regular basis. I will make a point to find this thread when I return from our Spirit cruise in May, and post a similar summary, assuming there isn't an up to date version already.

When I first read these types of posts I started looking anxiously to see who might hold what position on the Spirit in June... (Looking forward to the info TOMCT - Thx in advance.) My stupid newbie question (I asked myself) is why? I can see getting the name of a great waiter and asking for his station... as for the rest, is it just informational or do CC-ers utilize this info for something I am missing. Might something good you learned about them on CC be a conversational icebreaker?

Please Don't take me wrong, I'd love to know we're going to have a GREAT CD, etc. but I'm really feel like I'm missing something (a live long mental condition LOL). thx.

Whenever Tony's on-board we try to have dinner with him at least once! Last August, we had a MARVELOUS "Green Flash" at sunset on the Jade and Tony (and Ruth) were enthralled. Tony said he had been looking for it for 18 years and thought it was nothing but a myth...then he saw it! I caught it on camera and gave him copies.

Tony told us about that! So you're the one! :D I always keep in touch with him (though he's on vacation now and his alt. email isn't working). I'm hoping he's having so much fun, he hasn't had time or desire to check emails!:cool:

Someone on this thread asked the importance of who's on the various sailings...we LOVE sailing with "old" friends. I think that life on ships is very intriguing...the ports, the people, their homes. I never tire of visiting with crew-members. Once on the Star, Tony had to give a kitchen tour to a culinary professor from UC San Francisco and invited me along. We walked from the bottom of the ship up to see everything to do with food and beverage!! It was one of my most memorable cruising experiences by far! We treasure his friendship and always wish him the very best because he does his very best for so many people! :D

maggiecatenjay:

Having been on 7 prior NCL cruises, and having read and posted on the board since April, 2002, I've met and read about lots of admirable ship staffers. Others with many more cruises under their belt have obviously met and discussed many more. As time goes by, you get to know and compare staff names and assignments, and we have found that some of them have made a difference in how much we have enjoyed our cruises. It could be so much so that you would want to plan a particular cruise around the "anticipated" staff. Since nothing is guaranteed, that could be a risky propositon, but nonetheless possible.

In recent years, Klaus Lugmair has been the Hotel Director who was assigned to the new ships. He would locate to the area where the ship was being built, and among his assigments would be to organize the staff. We found many of the same staffers were assigned to the maiden cruises, so we have always been interested in knowing who might be on board. One advantage to that would be knowing in advance so you would know from Day 1 rather than part way through the cruise. Over the years we've exchanged emails with a few such staffers, so we like to know if they might be on our upcoming cruises. It's difficult for them to maintain contact while on the ship, as it seems we hear from them more often when they are at home between contract assignments. For the record, Klaus has been promoted and has oversight responsibilities for all the ships. Another assigment we keep close tabs on is a singing group we like called the Ironics. They sing popular music, going back to the 60's 70's etc., and have their own small band with them. Knowing where they were definetly entered into our choice of cruises when they were located on a ship and itinerary we would be interested in sailing on.

So the bottom line is like you say, informational, but I would say it could be more than that for some of the more regular and loyal cruisers who get to know and relate to key staff members. The ones I noted can be very helpful to you while onboard, and it never hurts to know they will be there for you if need be.

(Hope this helps, but it's been a long day and time for bed!)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tom,

I can't thank you enough... Taking the time to explain was very sweet (especially tired!).

I don't want to be pushy... but a particular item I will be hoping for in your review is wait staff in the Garden and/or Windows restaurants for our destination wedding group of 30-odd folks. No pressure, just though I'd mention it.

BTW, I love Connecticut! :D I often meet an old roomie from school who lives in NJ at Bill's in Westbrook... Kinda like a mini cruise just sitting on (the) deck. We've also met a few times to tube the Farmington (wicked fun!) - a bit like a cruise but with a wet, ahem... well, you get a bit wetter than a cruise.

Thanks, again.

Clare,

Quincy, MA

I don't want to be pushy... but a particular item I will be hoping for in your review is wait staff in the Garden and/or Windows restaurants for our destination wedding group of 30-odd folks. No pressure, just though I'd mention it.

If he's still on board by the time you get there, I'd recommend Christopher Laub in the Garden Room. He's a fantatic waiter and has been with NCL for over 10 years. He's also in Windows for breakfast (we discovered this by accident). But I will say, with a group of 30 people, you're going to need more than just Christopher!!! He's good, but he is only one man.

Tom,

I can't thank you enough... Taking the time to explain was very sweet (especially tired!).

BTW, I love Connecticut! :D I often meet an old roomie from school who lives in NJ at Bill's in Westbrook... Kinda like a mini cruise just sitting on (the) deck. We've also met a few times to tube the Farmington (wicked fun!) - a bit like a cruise but with a wet, ahem... well, you get a bit wetter than a cruise.

Thanks, again.

Clare,

Quincy, MA

No problem, that's what this board is all about!! I've learned so much here, met some great friends, and really enjoy sharing. The best part is it extends your one week or so cruise from way before to way after. From pre cruise research, the Roll Call board, and post cruise reviews and discussions, it's been great!!

I'll certainly make a note in my book to check out the staff for you, including an update on Christopher Laub.

We haven't been to Bill's in a long time, nor tubbing for an even longer time. My kids are beyond that, though a couple of grandkids would enjoy it. I had one scaring experience there being tumbled and swirled underwater, but it's way too cold for me these days. I still enjoy floating on my own old truck inner tube, but prefer the soft waves of Cape Cod Bay! We'll be going up there during the upcoming school vacation week for a few days, with those same two grandkids, but floating will be limited to the pool. I hpe the weather will allow me to dig a few clams in the bay, however!

I'll check back with you from time to time, and keep an eye out for related info for you. I'm off to pick up another of our 6 grandkids from pre-school, the one who will be going with us on the Spirit. Then it's off to Trenton, NJ to see the UConn women "destroy" Arizona State's basketball team on their way to the Final Four in St. Louis.

Tom

I hate to pul the plug on this thread, but the cruise director is not a disk jockey on the radio. They are responsible for you spending as much of your money as possible on the ship during the cruise. NOTHING ELSE! If the ship don't earn a profit, they don't last.

And as far as the butlers and concierge are concerned, not many care who are in cabins outside of suites, which are the vast bulk of the passengers.

I hate to pul the plug on this thread, but the cruise director is not a disk jockey on the radio. They are responsible for you spending as much of your money as possible on the ship during the cruise. NOTHING ELSE! If the ship don't earn a profit, they don't last.

And as far as the butlers and concierge are concerned, not many care who are in cabins outside of suites, which are the vast bulk of the passengers.

I agree as far as the butler is concerned, as I wouldn't have much use for one of them if it was provided. As for the concierge, I disagree; we've been fortunate by hook or by crook to have befriended several of them over the years. Then again, we rarely take advantage of their services, but knowing them and having them concerned about our having a great time is always comforting, and nice folks to have in your corner. They have helped us out several times regarding dinner reservations, tender tickets, lost luggage, and even some lost glasses that were found and mailed to us after we got home. The extra tips we provide certainly doesn't do them or us any harm.

As for their motivation to make a profit, obviously that's a primary goal, but if you go home and haven't had a good time because you didn't hear about all the activities being promoted, then the Cruise Director has done his job. The end result is you go home and complain how boring it was, and that's not good for business. Hotel Directors and even Captains read this board, and have staff monitor it as well, so reading about which cruise directors and concierge staffers are popular certainly is helpful to them, and the bottom line is they are motivated to make sure you are having a great vacation.

As for profit making, the recent CNBC show gets right to the point on their motives, particularly the "bar tab" (Happy to hear that the target for that particular Pearl cruise was $7.25 pp per day, as I certainly would have complied!!). The following site lists upcoming repeats for those interested, as well as lots of other interesting info and links:

CNBC Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/29139914

Next week:

Monday, April 6th 1a ET

Tuesday, April 7th 9p | 1a ET

Friday, April 10th 12p ET

Get the VCR/DVR ready as needed!!

Tony said he would be coming back from vacation 5/31, the same trip we have booked out of Seattle on the Pearl.

The following site lists upcoming repeats for those interested, as well as lots of other interesting info and links:

CNBC Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/29139914

Next week:

Monday, April 6th 1a ET

Tuesday, April 7th 9p | 1a ET

Friday, April 10th 12p ET

Get the VCR/DVR ready as needed!!

Or you can watch the full show 7 X 24 online

I love this thread. We are always interested in where crew we liked ended up.

Just off the Gem 3/28, we had

Concierge - Alex Forbes

CD - Ray Carr

Asst. CD - Crazy Candi

HD - Prem Kainikkara

Cpt - Mikael Hilden

But many changes were supposed to happen when we left.

Ray Carr left for some vacation and then he is going to the Star. The new CD is Andreas.

Candi was only there temporarily while Joe "Peach" a/k/a/ Bingo Joe was on vacation. We believe Joe got on the day we got off. We were sorry we missed him because he is so much fun. Joe is a great ACD and will make a great CD some day. We were not thrilled with Candi.

We also believe either when we got off or sometime shortly thereafter Captain Hilden was leaving the Gem.

Jade (a member of the cruise director's staff) will be on the Jade shortly.

Fidel (DJ) is on the Jewel. We met Fidel on the Dawn in 2006 and we love him. He is the DJ and does karaoke. He is an amazing singer. We actually got to see him in 06, 07, and 08 all on the Dawn.

Anyone know where Ferdi is? He was a member of the cruise director's staff and we thought he would made a great assistant cruise director.

No problem, that's what this board is all about!! I've learned so much here, met some great friends, and really enjoy sharing. The best part is it extends your one week or so cruise from way before to way after. From pre cruise research, the Roll Call board, and post cruise reviews and discussions, it's been great!!

I'll certainly make a note in my book to check out the staff for you, including an update on Christopher Laub.

We haven't been to Bill's in a long time, nor tubbing for an even longer time. My kids are beyond that, though a couple of grandkids would enjoy it. I had one scaring experience there being tumbled and swirled underwater, but it's way too cold for me these days. I still enjoy floating on my own old truck inner tube, but prefer the soft waves of Cape Cod Bay! We'll be going up there during the upcoming school vacation week for a few days, with those same two grandkids, but floating will be limited to the pool. I hpe the weather will allow me to dig a few clams in the bay, however!

I'll check back with you from time to time, and keep an eye out for related info for you. I'm off to pick up another of our 6 grandkids from pre-school, the one who will be going with us on the Spirit. Then it's off to Trenton, NJ to see the UConn women "destroy" Arizona State's basketball team on their way to the Final Four in St. Louis.

Tom

Tom, your kindness and patience are showing! :D

I really really appreciate any insight you will relay on your return (hope it's great - I'm sure with your attitude you always have a great time, though).

I hope you really enjoy your time 'down the Cape.' I'm sure you will.

I feel special now that I'm in your book LOL.

Thanks again.

Clare

I agree with tom that knowing crew members on your cruise can make your cruise and even more enjoyable experience than it already is.

And if some of you have not yet met Tony - the most fantastic F&B director in the entire NCL fleet - then you are in for a real treat. He not only does his job fantastically (the crew loves him) he is a great person...

We met Tony on our fourth NCL cruise, after we made mention to Denis, who was then F&B on the Jewel, that we would be sailing on the Star, where Tony was F&B.

He gave his card to give to Tony but even better than that he had emailed Tony and told him we were coming.

He found us dining in Teppinyaki with the staff captain and his family but that is an entirely different story.

Since that time time we have sailed with Tony, not only on the Star but the Pearl and he has been a great host every time.

We have also gotten to know a lot of the hotel directors on NCL and despite their busy schedules they have always taken time out to eat dinner with us or have a drink...

Remember we aren't in the garden villa so they aren't dealing with high rollers here...

We have also gotten to know some of the cruise directors, Simon, Linda, Ray and John come to mind...

While some get annoyed at their announcements during the day they are just doing their job, making sure you know all the many things there are to do on the ship.

You will be surprised how many of your friends will ask you where you picked up, Smashing and Drop your pancakes and your sausages when you get back from a cruise.

What a great time for you to tell them all about the great time you had on the cruise and how much fun you had.

One of the easiest ways to start becoming friends with members of the NCL crew is to go to your meet and greets on your cruises.

You will be surprised at what may happen from you going and talking with crew members.

Archived