Is it safe to take my digital camera?

...then why'd you buy a dig. camera?

Take it. A camera's a camera. If it gets broken, you fix it. If it gets lost, you get a new one. Cruise pics you will have forever.

I'm bringing both. I'll take the disposable on my catamaran excursion, but the digital for all ports and the ship.

Take it.

I have only been using a digital camera for the past 3yrs.. and love it. It takes great photos like yours. You don't have to worry when it goes thru the Xray machine. Doesn't harm any photos.

Digital is the future LOL. Like Ike says- no xray concerns. You can have the pics developed or saved to disc while on board. A win-win. one other point- the cost of memory cards has come down so much. I just bought a 1 gig card for under $25. You know how many pics that is? :) Imagine carring that amount of film around

By all means, take your digital camera! If you plan water based excursions buy your underwater cameras BEFORE you leave (they're almost 1/2 price from the ship and excursions!)) but be sure you hand carry it and tell them at security... most are 800 ASA and more sensitive to the Xrays.

Or should we take a disposable camera? My camera is nothing fancy....Kodak Easy Share, but it takes great pictures.

Just don't want to loose my camera while on the cruise.

We just got a new Sony digital, and yes I bought a gig memory but it was over $100.00. I found a waterproof case for 29.99 from Aquapak based in Fl. and it is good for 10 ft depth in water. Primary bought it too keep out the moisture and sand when on the beach, and it comes with a neck strap! You can look it up under the "search" just using aquapak, it arrived 2 days after ordering!

Enjoy your cruise!

event.png

Bass Pro shop sells a waterproof pack for $13. I had no trouble operating the digital camera totally sealed in the pack not even a glare. Worthwhile investment if you can't live without your camera and no worries about beach or wave shots. Only thing I am not going to do is try it out completely underwater. I trust the pack but.... a disposable underwater camera is alot cheaper to trust and the pictures from it wren't that bad.

Take the digital camera. On our recent cruise, we took our digi cam, regular 35 mm cam, and video cam. The pics from the regular camera were just OK but the color was not as bright and vivid. The video cam was OK for movies but honestly, we don't ever watch what we filmed. The digital camera, however, took awesome pics in glorious color, tremendous quality, and we could see right away if we wanted to delete or keep any shot. We took almost 700 pictures on our 7 night cruise! Imagine paying to develop that amount!

Take the digital camera and be vigilant (but not overly panicked!) about where you keep it. No big deal. This is your vacation, right (maybe even your honeymoon, I could assume?). Don't skimp on the memories that quality pictures will provide you with.

Have fun. :)

~Karen

Why would you not take it?

If you are concerned with losing it why did you buy it to begin with, you could just a seasily lose it at home. If you are worried about theft protect it just as you would any time you are out of your home and you will be fine.

I have a top of the line Sony digital and I wouldn't think of not taking it with me - after all, that's what I bought it for. I certainly do use some common sense tho, like not leaving it on a table on deck while I get lunch from the grill or go to the bathroom. Just like I don't leave my laptop unattended.

HOWEVER, I very often leave my camera and/or laptop in plain view in my cabin while I'm charging the batteries; I don't bother putting them out of sight. I've never had any problems with either.

I take mine on vacation everywhere we go...After we get home I make a "PhotoShow" of the trip. Then I select my favorite pictures, put them on a disc and download them onto my computer at work (yes, I have permission from our IT dept.) and use them as my screensavers. Watching my pictures during the work day puts me in my "happy place"! :)

By all means, take the digital camera with you. Every cruise I've been on had a safe in the cabin where you can lock it up when not needed.

In addition to putting your name on the camera, I suggest the following: Write or print your name, address, phone number and any other pertinent information on a piece of plain printer paper, then, using the macro or document setting on the camera, take a picture of it using one of the lower resolution settings, and store it on the memory stick or SD card or whatever your camera uses. If the camera also has internal memory, put a copy in there as well. This way, if the camera or the memory card gets misplaced and is found by a scrupulous person, they would have a way of identifying the owner. It may use up a minimal amount of memory, but its worth it.

I came up with this last summer after I found a memory card that someone had lost in lower Manhattan. It was full of vacation pictures and I would have gladly returned it to the owner, but there was no way of determining who that was.

I've taken both a digital camera & disposable underwater camera. I've used the digital camera everywhere except the beach & water exercursions, hence the disposable. After reading many posts though I'm thinking about purchasing an underwater case to simplify things.

I guarantee, you will regret it if you don't take it. I know I regretted not taking my video camera last time. This time, I will be taking my digi cam, video cam, & a couple of disp. water cams on this cruise:)

Archived