Terrorism And Cruising!!!

CGTNORMANDIE

I would rather take my chances then have all these stupid rules on carry ons

i suggest u look into getting a private plane and a pilot crazy enough to fly it...cause i don't think you'll find 100 or so other people to share a commercial jet with you and that outlook...:D

Life is too short

There are too many unknowns to worry about

My list of places I want to see in the world is getting too long

Every year, I get a year older

I will not be changing my plans

I Am With You Uktog !!

We Have A Med Cruise Aug 26 - Flying Home Sept 11. No Intentions Of Changing.

Stopping In Edinburgh 4 Days First, Can Not Wait To See Your City !!

I can do you one better. :D:D:D We are flying from California to New York on 911. DH & I will NOT be changing our plans for a bunch of PUNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Or should I say chicken hearts?)

Jill

I Am With You Uktog !!

We Have A Med Cruise Aug 26 - Flying Home Sept 11. No Intentions Of Changing.

Stopping In Edinburgh 4 Days First, Can Not Wait To See Your City !!

Do hope you love the surroundings. Edinburgh is alive just now because it is the Festival. Takes on a different personality - very busy but so much fun. 4 days is good you should be able to get a really good flavour of the place in that time

To the question of how terrorism will affect cruising?

1. With flying becoming an even bigger PITA than it already is, I think more people than ever will choose to cruise from their home port or a port they can drive to. I would rather repeat an itinerary which departs close to my home than to have to fly to a distant port with all the restrictions as to what I can carry on the plane with me.

2. If major thefts occur from people's checked luggage (now that more must be checked, even laptops and cameras), people WILL curtail much of their flying, and in turn, much of their cruising. Who wants to fly to Europe to see St. Petersburg or the fjords or any of the other wonderful sights to see and NOT take their best photographic equipment? NO WAY would we trust our expensive equipment to checked luggage.

3. Shareholders of RCL, CUK and CCL won't be happy.

4. I agree that dress codes will have to be made more reasonable, perhaps by getting rid of the "informal" evenings where men are supposed to wear (yet another) jacket. Or "informal" might mean a suggestion of tie and a long-sleeved shirt as opposed to a jacket and collared shirt.

5. Bathing suits will become smaller. Speedos, anyone? :D

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now.

Good one. I like it.:D:D:D

Uktog -

We Hope To Catch The Tattoo, Of Course The Fringe.

My Son And I Will Be Golfing North Berwick.

We Plan To Check Out St. Andrews Sunday, With A Day Trip In The Area.

Wife Is Excited About Princess St Shopping.

We Both Will Be Doing Some Scotch Sampling..........planned To Take Some On The Cruise - But Can We Now?

Her Sister And Bil Are Flying In From Poland To Visit(their Daughter Is Now Living In Edinburgh).

Gonna Be A Great Time !!

Life is too short

There are too many unknowns to worry about

My list of places I want to see in the world is getting too long

Every year, I get a year older

I will not be changing my plans

Well said! I wholeheartedly agree my friend. Edinburgh is one on my list!:D

LIfe is short, play hard;)

Woo

Just read the post about breast implants LOL

Just in from the TSA; All females with large breasts will be subect to search for implants containing possible explosives!, Those caught smuggling implants will be shipped to Quantanimo bay indefinetly:D

Dave:eek:

Just read the post about breast implants LOL

Just in from the TSA; All females with large breasts will be subect to search for implants containing possible explosives!, Those caught smuggling implants will be shipped to Quantanimo bay indefinetly:D

Dave:eek:

Thanks,

Can you hear them now. All the men will be volunteering for implant examination duty:p !

"excuse me madam, but do you have explosive busoms?":eek:

There is no question that the new rules, although necessary, do create an inconvenience. However, I do not think they are stupid as someone said.To that person, I will respond. It is OK if you take chances that affect you alone, but I do not want to take the same chances as you, so do not make me take them. If the new rules bother you so much, maybe you should not fly.

There is no question that the new rules, although necessary, do create an inconvenience. However, I do not think they are stupid as someone said.To that person, I will respond. It is OK if you take chances that affect you alone, but I do not want to take the same chances as you, so do not make me take them. If the new rules bother you so much, maybe you should not fly.

Well said, if people do not see past their own needs they should not be in the situation. We are all in it together, so we do what we must and try to put a good face on it if we can.

OK, folks, while I'm sure we can all agree that the problem was caused by the failures of Rutherford B. Hayes to consider airport and airline security issues adequately; and his failures exascerbated by James Garfield and Chester A. Arthur, his VP who succeeded Garfield after his assassination (and who signed the first immigration act), please remember this forum is called Cruise Critic, not Politics Critic or Media Critic, and the reason it's called

newnavtop-anniversary.jpg

is because the focus of the discussions on this forum is Cruising.

So if you want to engage in political discussion, there is a plethora of opportunity to do just that on the internet, but please do that on political forums, not on Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

I would rather take my chances then have all these stupid rules on carry ons

And while you are "taking your chances", why don't you "talk/negotiate" with the terrorists?

Sorry, but the "stupid rules" certainly won't have much impact in how people travel in the US. You can't take your toothpaste and shampoo on board-WAAAAH!!!

I wonder if any of the itineraries will be changed. Galaxy sails to Alexandria next year and Century, Millennium and Galaxy will visit Casablanca..

The places with terrorist activities in the last year include Britain, Spain and Greece. Could the ports we consider safe (UK, Spain) be more dangerous than those visiting Moslem countries?

Because of flight "stuff" will more people just want to cruise from ports nearby?

I love the quote from UKtog...life is too short not to Live a little. my places to see is also getting longer as days dwindle!

I do have a question...

British Air had recently announced (prior to the recent events) they are reducing the weight for North America to Uk from 70 lbs to 50 lbs...effective Ocober 11th. We are flying Oct 3 and returning from Galaxy Med October 17th...sooo ...I was already wondering how I was going to deal with LESS weight on the way back from our trip! I realize all of these new regulations may be altered, but I do think we will have to continue to live in the real world and pack more efficently...including carry on.

Has anyone heard about BA and if they are relaxing the weights??

thanks....the more info we have...the smarter travelers we are. :)

:) Galaxy Oct 6

And while you are "taking your chances", why don't you "talk/negotiate" with the terrorists?

Sorry, but the "stupid rules" certainly won't have much impact in how people travel in the US. You can't take your toothpaste and shampoo on board-WAAAAH!!!

The terrorists automatically win when we have to disrupt our plans to travel in a consumer economy. 24 guys caused the cancellation of 100's of flights. Don't you think that the "smart" people in charge of security have known all along that you can use bottles for carrying stuff other than the intended contents. How many posters have reported the way they carry liquor on board? If there is no technology that can sniff out the dangerous stuff from the ordinary we are in big trouble. No more juicy fruit gum in your pocket. Why can't you buy stuff in the airport to take with you? Because they can't trust their own security in controlling what's sold. No more head pillows and neck braces to take with you to the airport. Can't buy the books, newspapers, water, juice... all stuff that you could only buy after you cleared security... That to me is the big threat. They can't trust the guys who work at the airport.

I love the quote from UKtog...life is too short not to Live a little. my places to see is also getting longer as days dwindle!

I do have a question...

British Air had recently announced (prior to the recent events) they are reducing the weight for North America to Uk from 70 lbs to 50 lbs...effective Ocober 11th. We are flying Oct 3 and returning from Galaxy Med October 17th...sooo ...I was already wondering how I was going to deal with LESS weight on the way back from our trip! I realize all of these new regulations may be altered, but I do think we will have to continue to live in the real world and pack more efficently...including carry on.

Has anyone heard about BA and if they are relaxing the weights??

thanks....the more info we have...the smarter travelers we are. :)

:) Galaxy Oct 6

A trick to use to help deal with the weight limit is to dress "heavily." That means wear as much of your weighty stuff as you reasonably can, such as leather coats, heavy shoes, etc. on your flight. Even on a very hot day in August, the airport and airplane will be air conditioned and you will be able to shed your excess garb as soon as you get aboard.

I find that I can save about 5 pounds of packed weight that way. Looks strange bundled up for winter in 100 degree weather, but it helps make the weight limits.

I find that I can save about 5 pounds of packed weight that way. Looks strange bundled up for winter in 100 degree weather, but it helps make the weight limits.

I thought that it would be the first tip-off that you were hiding something. Strange you cannot carry anything but that a heavy coat would pass security..

After many trips thru Heathrow what are they doing about all the duty free shopping for liquor, cosmetics, food , etc. there? Have they shut down the shops?

That was the gist of my question. Can they not trust the security of the people working there?

Archived