Terrorism And Cruising!!!

CGTNORMANDIE

I think it will just be a pain-in-the a$$ dealing with the extra security at the airports, getting to and from the cruise ship. Right now, I think cruies ships are as safe as anyplace can be. Of course, that could change in the future..........:cool:

I think it will just be a pain-in-the a$$ dealing with the extra security at the airports, getting to and from the cruise ship. Right now, I think cruies ships are as safe as anyplace can be. Of course, that could change in the future..........:cool:

Yes, it will be difficult to get around security measures. But, isn't it easier to deal with these inconveniences than to satisfy some fanatical extremist terrorist group with our deaths? We have such privileges to be aloud and able to travel. Do what we have to do and enjoy the time in between. Life is short...play hard. I think the most difficult thing to deal with concerning these stricter security measures is each other...our impatience and frustration manifests themselves in so many ways and many aren't pretty.

When I find myself being frustrated with having to take my shoes off in an airport I take a deep breath and remember the alternatives. Smile!:)

Happy and stress free travels to all of you:D

Woo

I'll take the security measures in stride and bring lots of patience with me. I won't let "them" win by me changing my plans or how I live -- I will live my life and enjoy. We were on a cruise on 9/11 and flew home from Miami when our ship docked five days later (I was happy the airports were open at that point).

This will be a hassle for many traveling today and in the coming weeks but in the interest of safety I hope everyone complies and has lots of patience.

It will not affect my cruise plans at all! I think it will needlessly worry a lot of people. You can not control everything, why worry? I feel sorry for people who take things to seriously when reading negative posts and the news. I would like to thank all the people who get freaked out and cancel or change cruise plans, they give the rest of us more room at the buffet line!

Planes, trains and automobiles...It is only a matter of time before cruiselines become a target. However, more people travel by airplanes, more people have fears about flying, and if something does happen, you are not likely to survive; so, planes will always be a target.

This doesn't affect our travel plans, but it does leed to more concerns and fears being voiced by those we leave behind.

I agree with everything said here. However, keep in mind that, although we might not like them, it is ISLAMIC, not Isalama or Islama. It pays to know the name of our friends and foes.

It will not affect my cruise plans at all! I think it will needlessly worry a lot of people. You can not control everything, why worry? I feel sorry for people who take things to seriously when reading negative posts and the news. I would like to thank all the people who get freaked out and cancel or change cruise plans, they give the rest of us more room at the buffet line!

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!

We aren't due for our next cruise until next May. Unless something major would happen, I doubt we would cancel our cruise. We aren't flying anyway.

My sister is flying today and my mom is all worried. I told her today would probably be the safest time. Besides, it is only within the U.S.

This plot won't stop me from traveling but I have oftened wondered just how feasible it would be for a plot like this one to be carried out on a ship. Two to three thousand passengers all at once?
The same question can be asked about almost anything.

A crowded commuter train (Madrid), a subway (Tokyo, London), etc.

How about an NFL game? Or a Metropolitan Opera performance? Or a County Fair?

The point is that one cannot live a healthy life in paranoid fear of disaster. In today's climate one needs to be cognizant of the possibilities and be alert to dangerous situations.

Host Walt,

Well said! Fear cannot rule our lives and if we let them control our freedoms they have won.

Let us remember that it isn't all Islam, just the extremists...we don't want to confuse the two. It would be so easy for a cruise ship to be used to their ends. But, I am not going to give them any ideas;) , just hope they haven't considered that as well.

I'm happy to respond to new rules and a few inconveniences to continue traveling and enjoying the life we have in the US. Controls on liquids are reasonable. I'll never look at a bottle of Powerade or Gatorade in the same way again after hearing the desciption of that type of bottle that was in the hands of one of the terrorists arrested. Let's keep cool, calm and try to be patient. What's a longer wait in line compared to the alternative. Smile, take a deep breath, say something nice to the next person in line and to the TSA folks...we're all in this together. AND we will keep traveling. Heading out via plane next week. :)

I agree that we can't live our lives in fear and as I said, I wouldn't change any travel plans because of the plot. Well, actually I am scared to death of flying; always have been, always will be. That has nothing to do with terrorism though! :-) I always feel very secure and safe on the ship and just wondered how feasible it would be for someone to attack a ship like this.

I'm happy to respond to new rules and a few inconveniences to continue traveling and enjoying the life we have in the US. Controls on liquids are reasonable. I'll never look at a bottle of Powerade or Gatorade in the same way again after hearing the desciption of that type of bottle that was in the hands of one of the terrorists arrested. Let's keep cool, calm and try to be patient. What's a longer wait in line compared to the alternative. Smile, take a deep breath, say something nice to the next person in line and to the TSA folks...we're all in this together. AND we will keep traveling. Heading out via plane next week. :)
Know exactly what you are saying,,,if people think it is inconvenient and the rules are stupid then I say stay home:mad: ...We cannot let our guard down at any time and yes have to stay calm and patient:) ...

Let us remember that it isn't all Islam, just the extremists...we don't want to confuse the two.

Well, confusion is possible and really inevitable, isn't it?

After 09/11 the cry was to not blame Islam, and I thought, "How generous of America not to do that". Now, however, I think I do blame Islam to a great degree. Where were the loud cries of outrage from Saudi Arabia, keeper of the two holy cities of Islam, after 09/11? (Just how much money is Osama able to get from his still-wealthy and still-influential Saudi family?) Where were the condemnations from poor old Lebanon? From peaceful Islamic followers in Syria? From Indonesia? From the many Islamic followers in both Canada and, especially, the United States? These extremist fundamentalists will keep us all hostage until the peaceful, moderate Islamic countries go after them and shut them up...with whatever and however long it takes.

Sorry posters for the tirade, but I am really ticked, since I will be in Heathrow in a week and a half and these unfortunate, ignorant (read: brainwashed) people are at it again. If these not-so-smart-bombs are so damned anxious to meet Allah, why don't they all just get together in the middle of the dessert and blow themselves all to... wherever.:mad:

spengle, thanks for a great attitude...

To lighten the mood and possibly make people think. a friend at work said something that really gave me a giggle today. He said: "so what if we limit the liquids...has anyone thought of breast implant!":eek: Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!! Imagine that! Exploding bosoms! Not, to make light of a serious situation, but just thought we could use some levity.

Let us all be thankful that we are able to travel and do the things we do. There are so many that don't do these things. If I can't bring my Lotion, or mouthwash...so what.

Live Guys!

Woo

To the question of how terrorism will affect cruising?

1. With flying becoming an even bigger PITA than it already is, I think more people than ever will choose to cruise from their home port or a port they can drive to. I would rather repeat an itinerary which departs close to my home than to have to fly to a distant port with all the restrictions as to what I can carry on the plane with me.

2. If major thefts occur from people's checked luggage (now that more must be checked, even laptops and cameras), people WILL curtail much of their flying, and in turn, much of their cruising. Who wants to fly to Europe to see St. Petersburg or the fjords or any of the other wonderful sights to see and NOT take their best photographic equipment? NO WAY would we trust our expensive equipment to checked luggage.

3. Shareholders of RCL, CUK and CCL won't be happy.

4. I agree that dress codes will have to be made more reasonable, perhaps by getting rid of the "informal" evenings where men are supposed to wear (yet another) jacket. Or "informal" might mean a suggestion of tie and a long-sleeved shirt as opposed to a jacket and collared shirt.

5. Bathing suits will become smaller. Speedos, anyone? :D

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now.

Archived