Suite buffet/lucheons

Krazy Kruizers

I should note that a "VIP Party with the Captain" is mentioned in BOTH the old and new brochures...could it be that this is the "Suite Buffet Luncheon" that is talked about on this thread?

Debjo

No, that is entirely different. It is not just for suite pax. Other "selected" pax are invited. There is no guarantee that there will be a VIP party. There usually is, but I have been on cruises where they did not have one.

I hope you didn't open up Pandora's Box. Last time this was "discussed" it got ugly. :rolleyes:

I have been in suites and not been in suites. They are great, but not that great for the amount of money that is charged. We would never book a suite for suite luncheons or parties in the Neptune lounge. We have always booked them for the added space on longer cruises. Having said that, the prices are so high compared to the verandah cabins, I would rather take alot more longer cruises in a smaller cabin than go in a suite less often.

On the whole, I think the suites set up a class system per say with the special parties and flowers to wear on the first formal night. It always made me feel uncomfortable wearing them. I am a prettty simple person that doesn't get impressed with special parties and stuff like that.

I just KNEW this would happen. :rolleyes:

I don't see it as a Class system. These are perks that go along with a nice big price tag for suites.

I don't get "impressed" with special parties, I "enjoy them" and have met some very nice pax.

I do not think you are loosing the Stationary, here is what is currently on the HAL web Site.

img_cap_accom_suite.gif In addition to spacious comfort, guests who choose suite accommodations enjoy these additional amenities.

VERANDAH SUITES AND SUPERIOR VERANDAH SUITES

• Personalized cruise stationary
  • Elegant bathrobe for use on your cruise
  • Fresh flowers and fruit is included in all staterooms
  • Oversized bath towels
  • Feather pillows on request
  • Luxurious beds featuring Sealy® Premium Euro-Top mattresses and finely woven cotton linens
  • A no-host mini-bar for easy entertaining in your suite
  • DVD or VCR player and the use of an extensive DVD or VHS tape library

Then I think the Cocktail with the Ship Officers does not refer to the VIP Party, that would be the Welcome aboard Cocktail Party that is often held the first night in the Neptune or the First Sea Day in the Piano Bar. The VIP Party is something different all together. Here is the other list of amenities from their web site.

PENTHOUSE VERANDAH SUITES AND DELUXE VERANDAH SUITES

Include all the Verandah Suite amenities, plus:

• Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service
  • Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It just seems to me if HAL is taking all your important "perks" and you think the price for the large space is too much, you should look at another cabin. There are plenty of people who will pay the price for the space and not care about stationary and cocktail parties.

I take cruises for the different ports and places to see around the world that are new and different Take some longer cruises and you may not care about those superficial things that they are taking aszway on 7 day cruises

My guess is that HAL can keep selling the suites even without the perks.

I think someone on this board told me in the past that the main advantage for the S and PH suites is all the extra room, and that people would probably just continue booking them for that. Seems like an awful lot of money to pay just for some extra room, though. If I were spending those bucks, I'd sure expect some ammenities that the average bear doesn't get, and use of the Neptune Lounge would just be a start.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No, that is entirely different. It is not just for suite pax. Other "selected" pax are invited. There is no guarantee that there will be a VIP party. There usually is, but I have been on cruises where they did not have one.

From my understanding, the "VIP" Party on the Amsterdam Hawaii/South Pacific cruise this past January had not only all suite passengers invited, but also others with over 100 days on HAL. Our CC group figured this out when some people got invites and others didn't. The group at our dining table also compared notes when only one of us was invited. Turned out that while she was staying in an inside cabin, just like the rest of us were, she had over a hundred days on HAL. She got the invite and the rest of us didn't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think someone on this board told me in the past that the main advantage for the S and PH suites is all the extra room, and that people would probably just continue booking them for that. Seems like an awful lot of money to pay just for some extra room, though. If I were spending those bucks, I'd sure expect some ammenities that the average bear doesn't get, and use of the Neptune Lounge would just be a start.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I could not agree more. I know the cost of everything is going up... WAY up, but just looking at prices for S suites in 2007 compared to the price this year, it's insane, especially if they are taking away a lot of the extras that were/are included now.

I would hate to go to a different cruise line, but if things keep going the way they are... we might. :(

I don't see it as a Class system. These are perks that go along with a nice big price tag for suites.

That's exactly how I view it. I don't get offended in the slightest that I don't get those kinds of perks. I'm paying much less for my accommodations, and still going the same place on that boat that those folks in the expensive suites are going. Of course, for the extra money they are paying they are going to get some bennies that I don't. All the power to them. The money they spend keeps the cruise affordable for me, so I am only too happy to see them enjoying the Neptune Lounge and the other perks they are entitled to.

That's not a class system at all. It's simply a matter of getting what you pay for. I didn't pay for those bennies with my inside cabin, so I don't get them. Plain and simple.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can understand everyone being upset over the suite luncheon. S-Suites cost a bundle, and I think for that price there should be additional perks. Now, maybe they could put something in place of the suite luncheon that is in that same vein of being a private function, but I don't know what that could be.

There was a huge discussion a little while ago on the Celebrity board about how their suite perks were slashed quite severely by the sounds of it. I remember thinking how much better HAL's seem in comparison.

Actually, speaking of new wording in the 2007 Brochures, I noticed something very interesting in how HAL is describing their ships in the Alaska 2007 Brochure: The Vistas are still Vistas, but the Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam are described as "Flagship Class", and the Statendam/Ryndam are coined "Explorer Class".

What does that mean? I'm not sure. But I actually wouldn't be surprised if they started offering certain amenities only on the so-called "Explorer Class" ships that are likely to sail longer voyages...

In rereading this thread, I am wondering if maybe we are misinterpreting the 7 day thing. Maybe it includes the 7 day voyages. Has anyone checked with HAL? They do have a number of shorter cruises and maybe they wanted to exclude those.

In regard to the new terminology for the ships, the Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam are newer, slightly bigger and have more staircases and elevators than the Maasdam, Veendam, Ryndam and Statendam. Although they are very similar maybe they wanted to distinguish them.

In rereading this thread, I am wondering if maybe we are misinterpreting the 7 day thing. Maybe it includes the 7 day voyages. Has anyone checked with HAL? They do have a number of shorter cruises and maybe they wanted to exclude those.

I think the key word here is over

A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

Some how I guess they are taking it away:(

HAL is describing their ships in the Alaska 2007 Brochure: The Vistas are still Vistas, but the Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam are described as "Flagship Class", and the Statendam/Ryndam are coined "Explorer Class".

What does that mean?

Sounds to me as if HAL is merely giving names to what we've always referred to as the S- and R-classes. That would make it consistent with naming the Vista and Signature classes.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Sounds to me as if HAL is merely giving names to what we've always referred to as the S- and R-classes. That would make it consistent with naming the Vista and Signature classes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Good point Ruth - I guess 'S-Class' doesn't quite have the same ring as 'Explorer Class', does it? :)

[INDENT][quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B]Have no idea when this will be taking place. But I can tell you that on our back-to-back cruises on the Statendam in June Alaska [B]7[/B] days we did have the traditional Indonesian sit-down lunch each week instead of the buffet in the Crow's Nest.[/B][/quote]

I just checked in with Captain Bos on the STATENDAM and he tells me that indeed the buffet has been cancelled in favour of the Indonesian luncheon in the dining room.

About six weeks ago I had an Indonesian luncheon... well, a plate of Nasi Goring... on board the Zenith. Only one way to describe the experience......AWFUL. I was just visiting the ship. I have to say that I was completely underawed.

Stephen
[/INDENT]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']Have been on quite a few HAL's cruises lately and NOT all suite passengers were invited.

In fact, at a couple of them, only about 20 of us from the ship were invited.

There doesn't seem to be a set rule for all the ships as to who is invited and who isn't.[/QUOTE]
If you're referring to the VIP party ... you don't quote from the post you are responding to ... maybe that 100-day rule or suite passengers was just the way they did it on that sailing. I know they had so many people that they had to break the party into two separate ones ... and still the crowd was overflowing. But from what I understand, it was a good time, with lots of free-flowing liquor ... so those on the invite list were sure happy about it. In my case, with the size of that crowd, I was just as happy sitting in the Ocean Bar enjoying my pina colada and a smoke. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

With reference to the VIP Cocktail Party, here's what I wrote on my thread for our Baltic Cruise on the Rotterdam:

[COLOR=blue]Slinkie and Grumpy did get a surprise, though. An invitation to Cocktails or after dinner drinks with the Captain and Hotel Manager on Friday night showed up in their mailbox. No clue as to the reason for the invitation, but, what the heck, another free dink or two... So after dinner, Slinkie and Grumpy presented themselves in the explorer lounge and met and mingled with the ship's officers and the other invitees. Although there was no official title for the party on the invitation, it was referred to as the "VIP" party by a few people. Grumpy remembered that there had been some discussion about the VIP cocktail parties in the past and what criteria is used to come up with a list of invitees. Grumpy decided that one person that might know would be the Guest Relations Manager, so Grumpy posed the question to him. His response was that the Penthouse guests are always invited, guests that are recommended by officers or staff and by certain travel agents, and then by number of days on HAL until they get the number of guests they want. Now Grumpy is not in the Penthouse, and the TA he used sure didn't recommend him, and it seemed that there were enough passengers that exceed Grumpy's 125 days to bump him from that list, so Grumpy still isn't sure how he got the invite.... It was a nice party though. Grumpy noticed that the Remy Marten Louis XIII was not on the bar setup, though... somebody must have warned the HotMan about Grumpy....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][COLOR=black]I noticed that he did not say anything about suites. Only the PH was mentioned.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

[quote name='Grumpy1']
[COLOR=blue][COLOR=black]I noticed that he did not say anything about suites. Only the PH was mentioned.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=3]Grumpy I agree, I do not think the VIP party is an automatic for S Suite passengers. We have pretty much booked only S Suites over the past two years and in March 2005 we were in an S Suite on the Westerdam right across the hall from the Neptune and we were not invited. I had over heard when it was but we were NOT on the list. BTW the first VIP party we were inivted to we sat next to a couple that were friends of friends of an officer and they were in an Inside cabin.[/SIZE]

[B]For Gizmo...[/B]
Being "new" to HAL on my upcoming cruise in which I am also "new" to the "suite life"...I certainly did not intend to open "Pandora's Box"...hopefully the lock will remain secure!

[I]With regard to everything else, I think that "being new" leaves me to be "awed" by the Holland America experience whether there is a suite luncheon, personalized stationery, or not. Being the avid researcher that I am, I will be on the look-out for certain "suite" perks and amenities on my HAL "suite" cruise, that I haven't enjoyed in the past with my mid-grade cabins. My ONLY comparisons are what I've read in the brochures "old" and "new". I find it interesting that the brochures and the information that was previously posted here from the HAL website aren't necessarily carbon copies of each other. I, with excited curiosity, am anxious to see what the reality of everything will be on my cruise...nearly all of which will be a "new" experience to me and one that I've planned and waited for for quite awhile now...59 more days to go!

A previous poster mentioned that the rates had dramatically increased between the "old" and "new" brochures. I hadn't thought to check "my" cruise for 2006 against the same cruise for 2007...so I looked. I happily will report that the 2006 pricing was $1934-$2914 for my SC cabin. The brochure pricing for the same trip in 2007 has a price range of $1934-$2604...so in essence, it has decreased rather than increased! If I wasn't planning a trip to Alaska for 2007, I might be inclined to book the Eastern Caribbean again, especially if I "enjoy" the HAL experience as much as I think I'm going to...after all, I might just end up sailing for less in 2007 over what I've paid for 2006![/I]

Debjo (always dreaming and planning!)

Debjo,

I hope you didn't think that I thought you intentionally opened the box. Sorry if you took it that way.
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]Grumpy I agree, I do not think the VIP party is an automatic for S Suite passengers. [/SIZE][/quote]

I also agree. It is not automatic. I have known suite pax not to be invited.

Holding a formal lunch or the buffet is not automatic either, even on 10 day cruises. I found that they do whatever they feel like doing. On 2 different cruises there was nothing, no lunch, no dinner, nada. The cruises were a 10 day and a 12 day . On one cruise I asked about it. There was no real answer.

One problem with "perks" is that HAL is stuck forever adding them but can never take anything away. A new perk is immediately seen as an entitlement, and removal of an old perk (no matter how trivial) is seen as a diminshment in service.

When I first cruised HAL in a suite, there was no Neptune Lounge. We didn't miss it. Now, the addition of the Neptune Lunge is a HUGE perk for suite passengers, and there is a tangible cost associated with opening and operating it. I don't think there was a related dropping of other services, so this was a big boost in suite benefits, plain and simple.

I did enjoy the Indonesian luncheon, but won't leave HAL because it's gone. I know that other people see it differently, but I book suites for the space and not for the perks. Things like the suite check-in line, priority disembarkation, and priority tender service have either been difficult to take advantage of or unnecessary to me. And let's face it--the suite cabins are the first to book on any HAL voyage. The increase in price is due to simple supply and demand, and as long as people are willing to pay the price they ask, they'll keep charging it.

Archived