HAL secrets

Orcrone

I love the ambiance provided by FRESH FLOWER bouquets everywhere on various Decks. They're beautiful. Other cruise lines have beautiful (but fake) flowers. And HAL offers THE most substantial luncheon buffet afloat. It's the little things that add up. I enjoy going to the Explorer's Lounge after the evening show: there I can get a cup of coffee or tea, and on some nights, select a yummy chocolate from a tray of chocolate temptations. And all that is FREE, while I listen to live string music. Refined Elegance at its best! Let's not forget that at 10:30 am, lemonade is served daily, free of charge, on all open Decks. And waiters bring iced tea to you at about 3:00 PM daily out on Deck. Fabulous service!

I enjoy going to the Explorer's Lounge after the evening show: there I can get a cup of coffee or tea, and on some nights, select a yummy chocolate from a tray of chocolate temptations. And all that is FREE, while I listen to live string music.

Yes, indeed ... I love the Explorer's Lounge at night. A cognac to warm the chest and relax the neck muscles as I sit and enjoy some lovely string music. Yes, indeed ... I can taste it already. Only 78 days to go and it will be ME. Just 3.7 cruise-durations to wait! :D Yippie!

• 2 months later...

Last summer on Princess I discovered that you could order wonderful fresh berries for dessert at any lunch or dinner in the dining room whether they were on the menu or not. A wonderful healthy dessert which Princess hid from us.

Can you do that on HAL? Does anyone know?

The Windstar coffee place on the Zuiderdam makes the BEST peach smoothies ! Yes, they're an extra charge ($2.25) but soooo worth it !

And also, on the 3rd deck (i think) is the walking deck, but it's great to sit in the lounge chairs and read a book (it's quiet and shady !).

Using ship's services 1-800 number and booking shore excursions online before the cruise was great... soda sticker was in the room, and shore excursion tickets were there too !

I discovered on past cruises (other lines) that you could substitute certain items at dinner. For example regardless of what that evenings menu was, they had a standard/fixed menu (included such items as Ceasar salad and steak) that you could pick from every night. This was a nice option if you did not like that evenings specials, such as on Dutch Night. Does anyone know if this is offered on HAL ships?

Both times we've been on the Zuiderdam, this hasn't been a problem. Our son always requests a baked potato and just plain salad (lettuce and italian dressing) after 2 days of this... the dining steward didn't even ask :) He just brought the entree with the potato, and the salad always came out with just lettuce and dressing ! However, in the Pinnacle grill, he was told nope to the salad request :(

...as opposed to some of those fancy salads they serve with grass and straw.

You mean those salads that look like the cuttings left over when I'm finished running the weed-eater in my yard? Yeah ... I'm opposed to those too. :)

I discovered on past cruises (other lines) that you could substitute certain items at dinner. For example regardless of what that evenings menu was, they had a standard/fixed menu (included such items as Ceasar salad and steak) that you could pick from every night. This was a nice option if you did not like that evenings specials, such as on Dutch Night. Does anyone know if this is offered on HAL ships?

My 10 year old daughter loves shrimp cocktail - and dislikes most other things served up as an appetizer. So one night when there was nothing she liked as an appetizer or soup - she asked if she might be able to get shrimp cocktail. (I had read here that some folks had done this in the past). the waiter told her no - but later brought out a dish filled with the tiny shrimp they serve on salads for her. Better than nothing - she was happy. But it didn't appear they could handle this on a nightly basis.

probably depends on the item

HAL can keep the fancy weeds. Some nice Iceburg lettuce or a nice caesar sald will suffice
While I do enjoy a wedge of iceberg with Roquefort, myself (as well as a nice caesar with freshly shaved Parmesan), mixed field greens (baby spinach, arugala, romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, red & green baby oak, cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped baby cucumber, carrot shavings) topped with freshly made croutons and a blue cheese vinaigrette or perhaps a little butter lettuce with sliced comice pear, walnuts, creamy goat cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over it - that, indeed, is

GETitlePage.jpg! :)

-dave

mixed field greens (baby spinach, arugala, romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, red & green baby oak

That sounds about as appetizing as a bowl of mixed and chopped Burdock, Chicory, Dandelion, Goosegrass, Honeysuckle, Johnson Grass, and Prickley Lettuce! Yum yum!

You can order from the restaurant menu for room service.

Everyone in an outside gets a robe.

The best standard bathrooms afloat.

TILES!

Ginger and dates as you leave the restaurant after dinner.

(Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, less than six weeks before it's my turn again)!!!

Jana