coffee pots in your cabins??

P.A.

Several months ago I remember reading on these boards about someone bringing a particular kind of coffee pot with her on the cruise. My question is....does anyone know if that is allowed and if so, does anyone have suggestions on what kind to bring? Of course I know it has to be small and compact, but I want one that will keep my coffee hot! Suggestions??

I can not drink my coffee if is just warm. And by the time room service gets it to your cabin....forget it!

Thanks in advance! :)

I love Magellans http://www.magellans.com/

Couple ideas for you. First the simple one for your problem. Buy an

ef226_dt.jpg

electric coil for reheating the room service coffee.

If you have to make your own I would buy that a travel french press

ef223_dt.jpg

Both are around $12 at Magellans. Search Magellans for coffee

Hope this helps.

If you have to make your own I would buy that a travel french press

ef223_dt.jpg

Both are around $12 at Magellans. Search Magellans for coffee

Hope this helps.

don't you need to boil the water first for that one???

Kettles are a NO NO in ships.

You might want to check with the cruiseline.

I know Celebrity has recently put a section of what not pack on their website under packing which includes the following:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

• Irons

Coffee makers

• Candles

• Illegal drugs

• Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks

don't you need to boil the water first for that one???

Kettles are a NO NO in ships.

To be used with the electric coil. :)

wouldnt an elec coil used for reheating coffee fall into the no no catagory in the same way that an iron is a no no

the wattage and heat fall in the same catagory as curling irons which are still allowed.

The newer NCL ships all had a 4 cup coffee pot IN each cabin! They had real, decaf and tea bags the steward replaced every morning. We have a 4 cup pot but have never taken it on a cruise. I go get our coffee and tea from the buffet 1st thing and take it back to our cabin. My husband's coffee is waiting for him when he gets out of the shower.We enjoy as we get ready for the day.

The newer NCL ships all had a 4 cup coffee pot IN each cabin! They had real, decaf and tea bags the steward replaced every morning. We have a 4 cup pot but have never taken it on a cruise. I go get our coffee and tea from the buffet 1st thing and take it back to our cabin. My husband's coffee is waiting for him when he gets out of the shower.We enjoy as we get ready for the day.

For myself, the only line I would think about bringing on a coffee pot is currently Princess. They have gone to concentrated coffee in most areas.

The newer NCL ships all had a 4 cup coffee pot IN each cabin! They had real, decaf, and tea bags......... I go get our coffee and tea from the buffet 1st thing and take it back to our cabin. .

Bonnie, you still go get coffee even though there's a coffeemaker in the cabin?:confused:

When we were on NCL's Majesty for last new years, this is small, OLD ship, they do not have coffee pots in the cabins. Our last two prior NCL's did. I did not go to get coffee on these ships, didn't have to ,it was there, in the cabin for us to make iour cabin. But we do not like NCL so do not plan to sail her again with the exception of the SMALL Majesty. On all other ships, I go and get coffee and tea (for me) as soon as I wake up.

I always bring a coffee pot! As others have said, room service delivers in a carafe, but I don’t like their coffee. By bringing my own pot I can also bring my favorite coffee... and good coffee makes everything better; even a cruise. :D

Here is a link to the one I bring. It has a stainless pot so there is never any risk of breakage. http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=7&item_id=17&cat_id=3

Happy Cruising

Thanks guys for all your helpful information. Not sure what I will do just yet. Right now the electric coil sounds like my best bet and the least to pack.

The thermal carafes don't always keep coffee hot...at least not hot enough for me. First the coffee has to start out steaming hot before going into the carafe. Even the carafes at IHOP aren't ususally hot enough for me. I will sometimes ask them to heat my coffee in the microwave. And at home, I will heat my cup of coffee up several times while I'm drinking it.

At home I have an older model of the Gevalia coffee pot that has an insulated pot. It is the best one I have found so far. It's not one of the newer ones, because my daughter has that pot and it doesn't keep it hot enough at all. I once bought a new coffee pot, Mr Coffee I think it was, with the thermal pot, and no way was that hot enough. I took it back and got my money back. Call me crazy I know.

It might sound crazy I know, but I do enjoy my morning HOT coffee. If you can't enjoy it if it's not hot enough, then why drink it.

Thanks again! :)

• 2 weeks later...

After all your helpful suggestions, I decided what I was going to do. I was ready to purchase the heating coil that was mentioned on here. My sister, who also has to have her coffee hot, is now going with us on our cruise. She informed me that she has a 2-8 cup electric percolator that she always travels with. So I went and bought the exact one and used it today, and it does make a HOT pot of coffee! I was so excited! Then my husband informs me that it is 1000 watts! Yikes! He's wondering if it will kick a breaker when I go to turning that thing on.

Does anyone know the limit of wattage on the outlets there in the cabins? I will be so disppointed if I can't take it. And I've heard rumor now that Princess is wanting to charge for coffee??? Anyone heard about this?

Please give me some good news!

Several months ago I remember reading on these boards about someone bringing a particular kind of coffee pot with her on the cruise. My question is....does anyone know if that is allowed and if so, does anyone have suggestions on what kind to bring? Of course I know it has to be small and compact, but I want one that will keep my coffee hot! Suggestions??

I can not drink my coffee if is just warm. And by the time room service gets it to your cabin....forget it!

Thanks in advance! :)

I suggest you have the steward bring you coffee every morning at a certain time. That is what I do and it is well worth tipping them a couple of $s for that.

WHY bring a coffeepot??????????????

I suggest you have the steward bring you coffee every morning at a certain time. That is what I do and it is well worth tipping them a couple of $s for that.

WHY bring a coffeepot??????????????

Because as I stated before...I can not drink my coffee if it is just warm. By the time they get coffee to my room, it is not HOT anymore. I've tried it and it just doesn't work! :(

Interesting discussion. Looked up this point on our recent Princess cruise - they ban any heating element without a thermostat.

Now, I am no electrician, but does this mean no electric coil but yes to an electric kettle with an automatic turn-off?

Several months ago I remember reading on these boards about someone bringing a particular kind of coffee pot....Thanks in advance! :)

From the Princess web site:

3. NOTICE CONCERNING SAFETY AND SECURITY.

Carrier visits a large number of ports in numerous countries around the world. At any given moment there are likely to be “trouble spots” in the world in terms of crime and/or war or terrorist actions. Accordingly, it may be necessary to change the published cruise or shore excursion itinerary. Any such changes are for Your safety and beyond our control. While Carrier endeavors to provide reasonable protection for Your comfort and safety onboard its ships, Carrier cannot guarantee freedom from all risks associated with war, terrorism, crime or other potential sources of harm. Carrier reminds all passengers that they must ultimately assume responsibility for their actions while ashore. The United States Department of State and other similar government agencies regularly issue advisories and warnings to travellers giving details of local conditions in specified cities and countries according to such agency’s perception of risks to travellers. Carrier strongly recommends that passengers and their travel agents obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions.

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

Just a guess, but a coffee pot or a heating coil would be classified as a heating device. Anything that heats water MIGHT get taken before you get on the ship.

Anything that heats water MIGHT get taken before you get on the ship.

Yes it could (and should) - and if not, I would hope any conscientious cabin steward would remove devices such as this from the cabin.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to endanger not only themselves, but a ship full of folks - by taking appliances that are not allowed due to SAFETY issues!:(

The other option would be to go and get some coffee from the buffet area and bring it back to the cabin. We've never had a problem with coffee not being hot when ordered from room service, always been in a carafe and always hot, but if we did, that's probably what we'd do. I'd probably try room service again the next day and make sure I told them I wanted the coffee to be really hot and then see what happens. I would think a small coffee pot would be a pain to clean out and more hassle than it would be worth. You would need to check with your ship to see if they would even permit it.

On my Carnival, RCCL, and Princess cruises - the cabin stewards are not the ones who bring coffee. Room service is a separate department, and has its own 'runners'....but yes, a ($1) tip is appropriate.;)

Archived