Do teens ever not like cruises??

fishinglady

I'm planning a cruise with my ex sister-in-law and her 14 year old daughter this January (an 8 day cruise on RCI Jewel's). When I mentioned to the daughter that at least one night will be a dress-up night, you'd have thought I had asked her to walk on glass! She said that was stupid and she only wanted to wear jeans. Before I invited them on the cruise, I hadn't spent much time with the teen, but recently got the chance to. She seems very hard to please, easily finding fault, with what I guess are fairly typical teen mood swings (my kids are grown, so it's been awhile since I've been around this age!). I've even told her she can bring a friend, if the parents will pay for it. She initially was very excited about the cruise, and I hope she'll love it once she gets there, but I'm a little concerned that it might not go well. Anyone have experience with this kinds of situation? Do you think the fun of the cruise will take over once she's on board? I love cruises - have gone on 4 of them and loved every one, but I'd be really upset if someone constantly complained the whole time!!

I guess it depends on the 14 year old. We took our 14 year old dd on our very 1st cruise ever, and all she wanted to do was stay in the room and watch world cup soccer, while ordering room service. I think she ran them to death. She's not comfortable being around a bunch of strangers, which is probably a good thing, and she's also shy, but, she didn't try to get out and try much either. Now don't get me wrong, she had a good time in ports, shopping mostly, but on the ship, not so much. There really isn't a lot for that particular age-group to do. If she can bring a friend, I highly recommend it, then she won't be a ship full of strangers. Maybe if we would have done that she would have had a better time. She has said she would like to cruise again one day, maybe around graduation time though, so guess next time it's just me & dh:eek: darn.:p (I really don't mean that in a bad way):o

My 16 year old niece HATES cruises! In fact, we are going on our next cruise

without her, because she refuses to go.

She has been on 3 cruises with 3 different lines, and she despised

all of them.

Maybe she's just weird. :)

If she doesn't want to dress up, it's very simple, she can wear her jeans and stay in the cabin and order in!

I may be easy to please, but I've never found anything so wrong with any vacation I've been on that I could say I've had a bad time. Least of all any cruise I've been on. I can't imagine that once she gets on the ship she'll have a bad time. I went on my first cruise at about her age and I found there were plenty of others my age in the 'Teen Club' with tons of activities to keep us busy.

I think in the end if she meets other people her age that she gets along with on the cruise that will make a big difference. It's really hard to predict until you go. Hopefully, she will appreciate what a great opportunity it is to cruise.

Keith

Peer pressure works wonders at times :D. Suggest to her that on formal nights she can stay in the cabin and watch a movie and eat BUT just in case do bring a formal dress. When that CUTE 15yo boy is going to wear his Tux to the Captain's Dinner... :p:p

You just never know with kids, especially teens.

My kids are 17 and 14, they started cruising at 9 and 6 and have been on 6 cruises. Most of them they have had a blast, some of them they have stayed in the cabin most of the time. While I tried hard the first time they were cabin-bound to get them out, I don't any more. I've provided them with a luxury vacation and it's not up to me to entertain them beyond that point.

They do (especially the daughter, 14 yr old) tend to stay with us quite a bit of the time. They are both a little shy of meeting kids their own age at the kids clubs. If we could afford to take a friend along, we would, but until we win a lottery or we find kids who can pay their own way, that's not happening.

The hard part is not getting into an argument with them over it. When I have, we all have a bad time. If I leave them alone, they either figure out that it's up to them to have a good time, or they're bored.

Unfortunately, a brooding teen can make it miserable for everyone on the trip. If I felt that my kids were going to act that way, I would find a relative for them to stay home with and not include them.

The only part I find odd is that this is a girl who doesn't like to dress up? That is so foreign to me, my daughter loves it. Contrary to popular opinion here, she doesn't have to wear a long prom dress, a short dress will be fine. The bad part (although I don't know what cruiseline you're going on) is that jeans are typically not allowed in the dining room at night.

Finally, whatever her mood is, don't let it ruin your vacation, just ignore her and let her stay by herself all week, if that's what it takes. Her mother should have a talk with her before leaving, it's out of your control.

My daughters were 14 and 18-19(can't remember) when we went on our first cruise. My fourteen year old was just out of grade school. It just so happened that her friend from grade school was on the same cruise (they knew months in advance so had lots of time to talk about it). They had a blast. They met BOYS at the teen club. They had formal pictures taken with them. Then the next two years she didn't know anyone. That didn't stop her. She met some kids at the teen club. More pictures and flowers from boys. She didn't go on our cruise this year (our anniversary) but is going next year. She will be eighteen going on nineteen (birthday on cruise) and is too old for the teen club. I honestly don't know where will be a good place for her to meet nice kids.

My the fourteen year old and someone else can take her shopping and let her look at all the pretty dresses. Now might be a good time since it is homecoming season and she may see other kids buying dresses also. Is she in high school?

My daughter was 16 almost 17 when we cruised the HAL Statendam to Alaska. That was a very sedate cruise-even hubby and I felt like kids in comparison to most of the passengers. The teen club was canceled as there were only 3 teens on the whole ship. Our daughter was miserable.

But when she was younger and we did Royal Caribbean-she loved their teen club and was always very happy. Carnival also.

My daughters were 14 and 18-19(can't remember) when we went on our first cruise. My fourteen year old was just out of grade school. It just so happened that her friend from grade school was on the same cruise (they knew months in advance so had lots of time to talk about it). They had a blast. They met BOYS at the teen club. They had formal pictures taken with them. Then the next two years she didn't know anyone. That didn't stop her. She met some kids at the teen club. More pictures and flowers from boys. She didn't go on our cruise this year (our anniversary) but is going next year. She will be eighteen going on nineteen (birthday on cruise) and is too old for the teen club. I honestly don't know where will be a good place for her to meet nice kids.

My the fourteen year old and someone else can take her shopping and let her look at all the pretty dresses. Now might be a good time since it is homecoming season and she may see other kids buying dresses also. Is she in high school?

My daughter who is 22 now-loves karoke and the disco.

We took our 17 year old DS on the Sovereign of the Seas this past June. Even though he is outgoing, football, wrestling, track, and an honor student, I didn't think he would have a hard time meeting people. He went to where the teens gather. He said by what he could see, most brought friends. Therefore he felt like an outsider. He ended taking naps. I was really bummed. I wished the coordinators would be attentive and try to get teens mingle when entering the teen disco. Maybe some way of identfying them by common interests.

Well we are going again in Dec. and he doesn't want to go. May be next time.

We have 5 kids. We've taken them on 3 cruises. the youngest now 11 has had a blast with the kid club. The 15 y/o stayed with us most of the time because he didn't want to go to the teen club. the 2nd to last night he tried it. met a nice girl and went the last night. He had a blast. He even got kissed. ahhh puppy love at sea. The older daughters, 18 and 22 made friends with the bartender at the night club and came home every night after the club closed and had a blast!!

So encourage her to try the teen club. If you can have her bring a friend. It makes them less shy and more outgoing.

We are cruising to the British Isle next summer and are taking our 15 year god daughter with us. This could be a recipe for diaster as she lives on one coast (east) while we live in the west and have only spent limited time with her before. We really wanted to get to know her better as well as lavish a little attention upon her...okay, it's really a ruse to convince her parent to come with us next time...

Anyhow, we have been assured that she's not like most kids her age and will be content just to hang with us...thankfully, there's only one sea day to contend with. How have people's experience on Princess been (we will be on the Grand)?

Charlie

I have lots of experience with teens cruising!

With the 14 year old acting like she doesn't want to go and throwing a little pouting fit about dressing up...it could be that she's just scared of the unknown and what will be expected of her. (how to wear her hair, walking in heels on a moving ship, what if she looks fat, flat chested, EVERYONE will be looking at her....etc) I've found it helps to go shopping for pretty dress, earrings etc. And let her know that she only needs to wear the outfit through dinner and then she can put her shorts/jeans whatever back on if she wants to. (I've found that they love it so much they keep the good stuff on way after dinner!) Keep in mind that when you are 14 it's VERY embarrassing to been seen out in public with your parents/relatives!:eek:

Also, when we cruise with teens we don't smother them. They are required to let us know what their plans are and we don't force them to stop everything, get cleaned up and then sit at a two hour dinner each night. They order room service (and tip each time) or go to the buffett if they want etc. I do ask for them to get dolled up for the first formal night. On the last cruise we took them on, my two older son's girlfriends came along and roomed with my daughter. To my surprise the girlfriends made the guys toe the line and get dressed up for dinner in the dining rooms each night! (my 2 older "boys" are 18 and 22)

My girls are just turned 17 and just turned 18 (both were allowed in the teen club with permission from the staff on our Serenade of the Seas cruise to Alaska this past July) They had a wonderful time and met some wonderful friends in the teen club... They cant wait to go on another cruise... my girls love to dress up, so this was not a problem for us, but she can always have dinner with the teens that night if she doesnt want to go to Formal Night...or she can stay in the cabin ( mine were NEVER in the cabin...always in 'Feul' or in the Windjammer with their new friends.

You can check out our pics if ya want to( the link is on my sig) ...I think you will see that most teen have a great time on a cruise!

Peer pressure works wonders at times :D. Suggest to her that on formal nights she can stay in the cabin and watch a movie and eat BUT just in case do bring a formal dress. When that CUTE 15yo boy is going to wear his Tux to the Captain's Dinner... :p:p

Our "CUTE 15yo" (okay, I'm his mom, but I think he is cute) will be wearing his tux:D ! He's had a great time on all of our cruises, but this past year we've had to deal with more "drama" from him. For this coming weekend's cruise, it was "I'm going to miss a golf practice"..."I won't have my summer projects done..." Well, the projects were finished yesterday, the back to school shopping's done, and the coach is fine with him missing Thursday's practice. We know he'll be fine once he's aboard - in fact, if it's anything like our last cruise, we'll see him for dinner and going ashore and that will be about it. The rest of the time he'll be with the other teens in the teen club.

I run into a lady and her teen daughter in May's the other day. they were looking for formal night dresses for their cruise-they had done Carnival Truimph and Carnival Miracle -the mom hated the Truimph but loved the Miracle and now they were going on Mariner of the seas-so the mom was excited when she found out I had been on that ship and was asking how it compared to Carnival, what other lines I had taken etc.

then she said they hoped to book an Alaskan cruise next year-so I warned her off taking her daughter-and told her how miserable my daughter had been-as it was mostly older folks and how that cruise did not have the "caribbean" feel-although Alaska was very beautiful and I wanted to go there again-tha tis was just not a teen's favorite cruise. I did tell her her daughter would probally love MOS!!

I run into a lady and her teen daughter in May's the other day. they were looking for formal night dresses for their cruise-they had done Carnival Truimph and Carnival Miracle -the mom hated the Truimph but loved the Miracle and now they were going on Mariner of the seas-so the mom was excited when she found out I had been on that ship and was asking how it compared to Carnival, what other lines I had taken etc.

then she said they hoped to book an Alaskan cruise next year-so I warned her off taking her daughter-and told her how miserable my daughter had been-as it was mostly older folks and how that cruise did not have the "caribbean" feel-although Alaska was very beautiful and I wanted to go there again-tha tis was just not a teen's favorite cruise. I did tell her her daughter would probally love MOS!!

Ineed to correct myself! It was Macy's!

My daughter absolutely loves cruising. In her words: "Mom I get to make friends in the beginning of the week and then they are my friends all week." I will tell you it took me a couple of years to get to go on a cruise because she was afraid of boats. But now, forget it! She'll be 14 for our next cruise in April. This is her third on RCL and my fifth.

We are considering going to a resort the following year for a change. But I know once we get on that ship and at the end of the week, we will already be talking about our next cruise. I find that most of the teenagers are very friendly on board and all make friends pretty easily. I hardly ever see my daughter. She will make me happy and do the dress up for dinner thing. But right after dinner, goes back to the room to change and hang out with her friends for the night. They keep them VERY busy if they want to join in the activities.

My daughter absolutely loves cruising. In her words: "Mom I get to make friends in the beginning of the week and then they are my friends all week." I will tell you it took me a couple of years to get to go on a cruise because she was afraid of boats. But now, forget it! She'll be 14 for our next cruise in April. This is her third on RCL and my fifth.

We are considering going to a resort the following year for a change. But I know once we get on that ship and at the end of the week, we will already be talking about our next cruise. I find that most of the teenagers are very friendly on board and all make friends pretty easily. I hardly ever see my daughter. She will make me happy and do the dress up for dinner thing. But right after dinner, goes back to the room to change and hang out with her friends for the night. They keep them VERY busy if they want to join in the activities.

It sounds like it just depends on the kid - a few don't like cruising, period, some love it, and some are initially reluctant and then find it to be more fun than they thought! I think in this case it's much more likely to work if she finds a friend, and I liked the option of staying in the room if she doesn't want to do formal night. No matter what, I'll be going & having fun!!

That is unfair...it was not YOUR teens favorite cruise...it WAS my 2 teens favorite cruise...so Im sure it depends on the child...my girls understood and appreicated the fact that most people go to the Caribbean, they have several times, but it is not many people comparatively that get the wonderful experince of the beauty and awe of Alaska...my teens feel fortunate to have gone on this cruise...if you dont believe me, just take a look at the pics of our cruise (link on my sig) you will not see one picture of a teen sulking...and on our cruise the median age, I would say was about 40...most people were around our age...some older, some younger...but to discourage someone (a stranger) from letting their child experince this wonderful cruise, based on your child not appericiating it, is very unfair.

JMO...

Archived