RCCL Alcohol Policies After 7/28 and 8/10 Part II - MERGED

Where do you get these collapsable coolers? I'm guessing Wal-Mart (of course)

of course.. anywhere....... I personally got mine from a bank give away when I opened an account.. very inexpensive items.. Now would be a good time to get them, everything is on clearance.

The captain, on our last cruise, told us as we arrived in Cozumel to take our cameras with us. That way if we were late getting back to the dock we could get a really great photo of the ship as it pulled away. He was so funny.

Then I heard later that a passenger did miss the ship - and was found later passed out under a table at Carlos and Charlies. I have no idea how that passenger got back to the ship or if they made it back.

But the person who drinks too much can be any age in any location and restricting on board liquor in any way isn't going to change the problem. Those who loose control, will do it. It isn't going to ruin my trip.

.....But the person who drinks too much can be any age in any location and restricting on board liquor in any way isn't going to change the problem. Those who loose control, will do it......

Yes, but if you drink yourself silly at Carlos and Charlies or drink yourself silly on alcohol that you have smuggled aboard "against RCI's rules" - and then proceed to land overboard - RCI will not be legally liable.

I feel that this is all about lawsuits. And if RCI can make a few extra bucks at the bars if you buy more alcohol from them - then that is just an added bonus. But I don't think RCI is going to go to a great deal of effort to catch smugglers. They will do just enough for appearances to cover their butts.......

Talk about needless angst all these threads are bringing about. ;)

So last year a groom goes over the side on Brilliance and voila - the end of the cherished program to buy a bottle or two in the ship's store, pay the $9.00 fee and take it back to your cabin like a civilized human being. So this year some wonderfully supervised kids get blotto on dear ole' Mom & Dad's stash and, lo & behold, no booze or wine to be bought and/or brought onboard period, except through the ship's bars etc. Seems like fixing a one ounce problem with a hundred pound sledge hammer.

Guess what the kids are doing in port...you got it, they are drinking their damn fool heads off, staggering back to the ship under the watchful eyes of dear ole' Mom & Dad....and we have to suffer because of these clowns. I'm just not getting it, period. :(

I don't get it either!

Next...if it hasn't happened already..will be some fool drinking too much at the ships bars and flipping himself overboard. Then what will the ships do...stop having bars on board to sell any type of drinks? NOT!:mad:

JMHO...

We sail out of Galveston on the Rhapsody of the Sea regularly and have never been asked to remove our liquor - always in checked luggage, or given to the checker at curbside to be taken to our cabin.

When we have purchased Tequilla on board, it is always held until our return to port when it is delivered to our cabin at departure.

Their sale of liquor is one of their big income producers so it stands to reason they would always tell a passenger that no liquor allowed to be brought on board. I don't think I would ask if it was a policy - they may say no and then I would be devestated.

We go again on November 5 - please don't refuse me!

Bett

I don't get it either!

Next...if it hasn't happened already..will be some fool drinking too much at the ships bars and flipping himself overboard. Then what will the ships do...stop having bars on board to sell any type of drinks? NOT!:mad:

JMHO...

No, that is when they will start giving you a photo ID drink card that will get stamped with the date every time you buy a drink. When you have reached your allotted number of stamps for the day, no more service. :D

Face it, much of the world functions today because of legal issues.....

For anyone interested in the new policies for alcohol onboard or drinking waivers for 18-20 year olds it is now posted on the front page of Royal

Caribbeans website it is all there in black and white and no fine print. Hope this will clear up alot of questions and heated debates.

It will cost RCL more in manpower and equiptment to check each checked-on piece of luggage in a reasonable amount of time than they would make up in the bars.

If RCL would learn to lower there prices at the bars they would make a lot more money. Profits margins on alcohol are huge, and people would buy a lot more if they lowered the prices. More people would also want to cruise RCL if they had a reputation for being a bargain at the bars, which would also bring more profits.

I just returned from AoS. I can tell you that each piece of luggage is scanned and checked and that any abnormalities noted will require you to go back down to security to have your bag inspected. How do I know this? It happened to one of our bags. We placed our regulators in a suitcase and it showed up. They assumed that's what it was but we still had to open the bag and they verified the contents. BTW I asked if they look for booze and was told no. They are concerned with weapons, etc. Also, if you are a diver, do NOT bring any dive knives with you as they WILL be confiscated if found.

As for the price of alcohol, I don't know what you pay at your local bar but on board a rum and coke was $5.75, a pina colada was $7.48, Berringer White Zinfidel: glass - $7.48; bottle - $31.20; Aplletini (in a souveiner glass) $10.29. All prices include a mandatory 15% gratuity (and I never add on unless the service is truly exceptional). These prices are comparable to what I would pay in a bar so I don't have a problem with it (nor do I drink excessively 2 or 3 drinks max in the course of an evening). And I can tell you every drink I had on ship was a strong drink with a generous pour.

People seem to forget that RCI is in business to MAKE money not save us money. As long as I feel I am getting fair value for my money I'm happy.

People seem to forget that RCI is in business to MAKE money not save us money. As long as I feel I am getting fair value for my money I'm happy.

Well said and precisely the point!

In addition, if you are at least a Platinum Crown and Anchor member, you will have at least five opportunities to get free drinks... Captain's Party, Welcome Back Party, Special Event for Platunum/Diamond, coupon book, art auction.

With all the free opportunities, what does it matter if you have to put out a few dollars extra?

I just returned from AoS. I can tell you that each piece of luggage is scanned and checked and that any abnormalities noted will require you to go back down to security to have your bag inspected. How do I know this? It happened to one of our bags. We placed our regulators in a suitcase and it showed up. They assumed that's what it was but we still had to open the bag and they verified the contents. BTW I asked if they look for booze and was told no. They are concerned with weapons, etc. Also, if you are a diver, do NOT bring any dive knives with you as they WILL be confiscated if found.

As for the price of alcohol, I don't know what you pay at your local bar but on board a rum and coke was $5.75, a pina colada was $7.48, Berringer White Zinfidel: glass - $7.48; bottle - $31.20; Aplletini (in a souveiner glass) $10.29. All prices include a mandatory 15% gratuity (and I never add on unless the service is truly exceptional). These prices are comparable to what I would pay in a bar so I don't have a problem with it (nor do I drink excessively 2 or 3 drinks max in the course of an evening). And I can tell you every drink I had on ship was a strong drink with a generous pour.

I have not been to a bar in about 1.5 - 2 years, the prices are ridiculous $40 - $100 a weekend on booze save that up and you have your self a fare for a cruise in 3 - 10 months. Or retirement, or school, or 1000 other more important things.

I know a few secrets, but I don't want them found out so soon. If I could figure out how to PM you I would share them w/ you.

I have a couple of ways to be contacted outside CC. Look at the top of my posting, and you will see some IM icons: one for MSN Messenger and one for Yahoo Messenger. I would be glad to hear your tips.

Cheers,

Laurent

The only thing wrong with this is.....there is no mention of what happens if you are taking another person's 18-20 yr old with you on the European routes...the policy clearly says the parent has to be on the sailing with them.:confused:

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

Liz

I am confused with your statement. It starts with the only thing wrong with this is ....... but then you state what the policy says being the parent has to be on the ship with the 18 -20 year olds on european and south american cruises. What part is wrong?:confused:

Liz

I am confused with your statement. It starts with the only thing wrong with this is ....... but then you state what the policy says being the parent has to be on the ship with the 18 -20 year olds on european and south american cruises. What part is wrong?:confused:

I think what was meant here is that often people under 21 sail with friends, ect and their parents ARE NOT on the ship.. so I think the poster wanted to know if the policy stated that the parent had to be present what would be the case for an 18 yr old with no parent on board.. now, I would think that the notorized letter that is needed to take the underage on board will allow the "guardian" in charge on the sailing to sign the european wavier and it will be ok..

Now, as far as in the caribbean, I have an 18 yr old who is not real happy about the policy, but so be it.. all I see happening here is more folks will be packing teh alcohol for cabin consumption IMO.

I think what was meant here is that often people under 21 sail with friends, ect and their parents ARE NOT on the ship.. so I think the poster wanted to know if the policy stated that the parent had to be present what would be the case for an 18 yr old with no parent on board.. now, I would think that the notorized letter that is needed to take the underage on board will allow the "guardian" in charge on the sailing to sign the european wavier and it will be ok..

Now, as far as in the caribbean, I have an 18 yr old who is not real happy about the policy, but so be it.. all I see happening here is more folks will be packing teh alcohol for cabin consumption IMO.

Thanks for explaining it to me. But as I read the new policy, and this part is in bold print, It states that any parent sailing with 18 - 20 year old son or daughter can sign it. Maybe I am interpreting it wrong but there is nothing about someone being given guardianship to ok the waiver for drinking.

Like they aren't already packing it.:D

Sorry Dockman123..:D ..what I meant was.....what about people who are taking other peoples 18-20s with them on European cruises...the policy only states "Parents" only can sign the waiver.

Sorry for confusion :D

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

No problem. Beary stated that was what you meant. Reading the policy though, I read it to mean that you can only sign for your own children not someone elses. I could be wrong but since that part is in bold print that is how I interpreted it.

Sorry Dockman123..:D ..what I meant was.....what about people who are taking other peoples 18-20s with them on European cruises...the policy only states "Parents" only can sign the waiver.

Sorry for confusion :D

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

Reading it I would say that not only does the parent have to be sailing with the 18-20 YOs, the 18-20 YOs have to agree not to provide alcoholic beverages to anyone else, including friends who might be sailing with them.

Archived