RCCL Alcohol Policies After 7/28 and 8/10 Part II - MERGED

As for the price of alcohol, I don't know what you pay at your local bar but on board a rum and coke was $5.75, a pina colada was $7.48, Berringer White Zinfidel: glass - $7.48; bottle - $31.20; Aplletini (in a souveiner glass) $10.29. All prices include a mandatory 15% gratuity (and I never add on unless the service is truly exceptional). These prices are comparable to what I would pay in a bar so I don't have a problem with it (nor do I drink excessively 2 or 3 drinks max in the course of an evening). And I can tell you every drink I had on ship was a strong drink with a generous pour.

People seem to forget that RCI is in business to MAKE money not save us money. As long as I feel I am getting fair value for my money I'm happy.

I think you are misunderstanding my statement and economies of scale in general. If they lowered their drink prices, more people would buy more drinks. (I don't think you can argue with that) People would actually (not definitely, but probably) spend more money in the bars which would make RCL more money.

Have you ever gone to a good happy hour? Did you notice that you spent just as much if not more than a "normal" night out because you were willing to buy more drinks/rounds than usual because of the lower prices?

Anyway, this would also give their cruise line a better reputation for being a great bargain, which would attract even more business, and make RCL more money.

I think you are misunderstanding my statement and economies of scale in general. If they lowered their drink prices, more people would buy more drinks. (I don't think you can argue with that) People would actually (not definitely, but probably) spend more money in the bars which would make RCL more money.

Have you ever gone to a good happy hour? Did you notice that you spent just as much if not more than a "normal" night out because you were willing to buy more drinks/rounds than usual because of the lower prices?

Anyway, this would also give their cruise line a better reputation for being a great bargain, which would attract even more business, and make RCL more money.

I don't necessarily want people drinking more because it's cheaper. And I have been to many happy hours and usually spend much less because the cost is cheaper. By the way, if that philosophy really worked, every stadium in the country would lower their prices to generate a higher profit.

I agree with your point in my case. I typically only buy one drink every other night on a cruise. We have wine with dinner so I usually just enjoy the wine and occasionally have a drink in a lounge. If the drinks were even $1 less, I probably would at least double my consumption and RCI would end up making more money. I know it's not logical but I just like a bargain and hate feeling ripped off. just my perspective....

I just called RCCL and the rep said that their policies have changed: NOT allowing any wine allowed to be brought on board and RCCL does not have the corkage fee available anymore. All wine/liquor drinks/beverages can ONLY be purchased on the ship.

This really is sort of upsetting to us, cause we were planning on taking the type of wine we wanted/liked and paying the corkage fees. RCCL used to allow 2 bottles of wine per person and a bottle of champagne also. Not anymore it seems.

Has anyone come back from a cruise in the past few weeks and know if these policies are true and RCCL are being stricter? What's the deal with RCCL?

I was just checking the RCCL guest relations section on their website and I found this in regards to no alcohol permitted brought on board " Security may inspect containers, water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash bottles, luggage, etc. and will dispose of all containers holding alcohol" I have read alot of posts where people are still planning on bringing alcohol on board with them and if they are caught some people assume RCCL will just hold the alcohol for them like they do when they purchase alcohol in ports. However, the way I'm reading this it sounds like if they catch you with alcohol when you board they are just going to throw it out. It doesn't sound like they will hold alcohol for anyone if they get caught bringing it on board when they embark. Has anyone else read this? How do people feel about this and if they are caught with alcohol, RCCL is just going to throw it away? :eek:

I was just checking the RCCL guest relations section on their website and I found this in regards to no alcohol permitted brought on board " Security may inspect containers, water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash bottles, luggage, etc. and will dispose of all containers holding alcohol" I have read alot of posts where people are still planning on bringing alcohol on board with them and if they are caught some people assume RCCL will just hold the alcohol for them like they do when they purchase alcohol in ports. However, the way I'm reading this it sounds like if they catch you with alcohol when you board they are just going to throw it out. It doesn't sound like they will hold alcohol for anyone if they get caught bringing it on board when they embark. Has anyone else read this? How do people feel about this and if they are caught with alcohol, RCCL is just going to throw it away? :eek:

It is a risk people are going to have to take (and me as well). I honestly doubt RCCL has the man power or desire to scan every single checked bag for alcohol. If you are one of the unlucky ones who's bag get's checked and they take your alcohol..oh well..I hope they enjoy my bottle for me or who ever finds it in the trash. No big loss and it certainly wont ruin my cruise. :)

It is a risk people are going to have to take (and me as well). I honestly doubt RCCL has the man power or desire to scan every single checked bag for alcohol. If you are one of the unlucky ones who's bag get's checked and they take your alcohol..oh well..I hope they enjoy my bottle for me or who ever finds it in the trash. No big loss and it certainly wont ruin my cruise. :)

I don't check any luggage, that is how I solve that problem. :D

I just thought that I'd let everyone know that I just got back from a 4-day on Sovereign out of Port Canaveral on Friday and my DBF brought on a liter of Absolut in his checked luggage and I had a liter of Hpnotiq, a 12 pack of Red Bull, a 6 pack of pineapple juice, 2 cans of peach juice, and 2 cans of mango juice in my checked luggage and everything made it on. No problems, no questions asked.

Just thought I let you all know.

Funny thing is, from what we brought with us, I only fixed myself one glass of Absolut and mango juice and my DBF only had 2 glasses of Hpnotiq. We bought drinks at the bars too. It was just nice to have something to drink (what we like, the way we like it) in our room when and if we wanted it.

Having been a Princess cruiser I can say that on Princess there were two designated bars that would allow you to purchase on regular price a bottle for your room.

This is not to be confused with duty free purchases that they would hold for you until you disembark. I don't want to smuggle and am happy to pay the price for a bottle in my room. My question is, will RCCL allow us to do the same for the convieniance of enjoying a drink in our room?

On Princess we have always been able to purchase a bottle of liquor through room service for in room consumption. :)

RCI used to allow passengers to buy liquor in their store for in room consumption. They charged an extra $9.50 over the duty free price. That stopped some time ago. You can only buy wine and champagne by the bottle for in room consumption. Some posters have said that liquor is available at $50-$70 a bottle, but I have never seen it available on any RCI cruise that I've been on. :(

Princess doens't allow you to buy large bottles from the bar, or room service anymore. You can only buy the small "beverage pkg" 375 ml bottle and 2 cans of pop.

We were just on the coral in may and Princess was in the process of changing all the ships.

We could take as much wine on as we wanted and my DH bought a 6pk of beer at each port. We only drank our own stuff in the cabin or at "happy hr" before dinner.

I just thought that I'd let everyone know that I just got back from a 4-day on Sovereign out of Port Canaveral on Friday and my DBF brought on a liter of Absolut in his checked luggage and I had a liter of Hpnotiq, a 12 pack of Red Bull, a 6 pack of pineapple juice, 2 cans of peach juice, and 2 cans of mango juice in my checked luggage and everything made it on. No problems, no questions asked.

Just thought I let you all know.

Funny thing is, from what we brought with us, I only fixed myself one glass of Absolut and mango juice and my DBF only had 2 glasses of Hpnotiq. We bought drinks at the bars too. It was just nice to have something to drink (what we like, the way we like it) in our room when and if we wanted it.

Did you have any room for clothes???? ha, ha;)

Yes I did have room for clothes (barely :D ) but after I bought 4 bottles of rum onboard it was kind of hard packing it all into my suitcase for my flight back home. I was told at the airport that my bag was 12 lbs over the 50 lbs weight requirement. You should have seen me trying to stuff some of my stuff into my DBF's bags and our garment bag to make the bag lighter! I understand the new "no liquids on plane" rule but man, I wish I could have got a break that day! :D

Maybe we should have some sort of contest to see who can take the largest volume of liquor on board without getting caught. Sort of make a game of evading Royal Caribbean's goofy no alcohol policy.

Just looked a copies of the latest cruise compass from Freedom of the seas, tyhe thread is on the boards, and it states,

There will be a corckage fee of $12 per bottle for any wine opened in the dining room that has not been purchased on board the ship.

So I guess we can continue to smuggle it on board ??

Just back from the Mariner and we packed 1 bottle of scotch, 1 bottle of wine and 1 bottle of Baileys. We had absolutely no problems. We drank everything we brought but, brought almost all of the scotch back along with a couple of bottles of wine that we didn't finish on the wine & dine package.

We didn't think that the prices were that bad in the bar as we are from Florida and are use to predatory pricing. We thought that these prices were reasonable compared to some places we have been. :)

I guess I need help. I was thinking of booking a Royal Caribbean cruise prior to our Princess cruise in December on the Monarch. At the site I was going to book at, the following is noted:

"For those guests who bring wine and champagne to celebrate a special occasion onboard, these products will be tagged and stored by our personnel, and delivered to the guest stateroom or their dining venue, as per their request. If these special wines or champagnes are consumed in our dining room or specialty restaurants, or in the Windjammer Cafe for casual dining, a corkage fee of $8 per bottle will apply."

Is this the "new" policy or the "old" policy?

shhhhhhhhhhh! At least until we sail 2 weeks from today, LOL. Big (RCCL) Brother reads these boards!

Nanner10, it looks like fla-red has thrown down the gauntlet. The pressure is on now for you to come up with a big haul when you board your ship. You've only got 2 weeks to go so I hope you have your shopping list for the liquor store in final form. To top fla-red you might might want to consider a 1.75 liter bottle of Kahlua, a large bottle of Gin, and 3 bottles of wine (1 red, 1 white, and 1 dessert wine for variety). That would put you comfortably in the lead.

I guess I need help. I was thinking of booking a Royal Caribbean cruise prior to our Princess cruise in December on the Monarch. At the site I was going to book at, the following is noted:

"For those guests who bring wine and champagne to celebrate a special occasion onboard, these products will be tagged and stored by our personnel, and delivered to the guest stateroom or their dining venue, as per their request. If these special wines or champagnes are consumed in our dining room or specialty restaurants, or in the Windjammer Cafe for casual dining, a corkage fee of $8 per bottle will apply."

Is this the "new" policy or the "old" policy?

Phil, whichever site this is, that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY old. The policy itself isn't merely outdated; the corkage fee is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old, I can't even tell you how old it is! :)

Phil, whichever site this is, that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY old. The policy itself isn't merely outdated; the corkage fee is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old, I can't even tell you how old it is! :)

Thanks! Our plan was to take about 6 bottles on Princess for our 7 day cruise. We found a great price for the 4 day RCI cruise right before it and have some vacation time to burn. Now if RCI is "holding" wine and then give it back at the end even if i can drink it on board, I'm still interested. If they won't even let it on board, sorry RCI, I'll look elsewhere.

Archived