What is you favorite purse designer/brand?

Hi Lois!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with handbags - but for a Trans Atlantic cruise, you may be able to get a real deal for a repositioning cruise in the fall or spring when the ships move from Florida to Europe and vice versa. We got a bargain on the Grandeur a couple of years ago. It was pretty last minute (two months out) when we decided to go. The cruiseline offered free air on our cabin accommodation. If you have a great TA, then maybe they can be on the lookout, especially if you are flexible with your travel dates.

For my 50th, we were going through the Canal. I didn't want to be anywhere near home when that epic event happened!!

To get back on topic, please wear shoes and carry the handbag of your choice.:)

--Judy

I second that Lois! We got a great deal for the Sept. 15, 2007 Celebrity Constellation cruise-look at that one! I know you have posted about cruising that ship before-but this will only our second on Celebrity-but I have read so many good things about the Connie I am really excited-even if it IS over a year away still.

Jane, you know there are insensative people everywhere:eek:

I know we are all different people and what is important

to one person is definitely not always important to another.

Here is hoping everyone has the bags and shoes they prefer:)

I am in a predicament myself right now....when 2008 arrives

I will be 50. I want to do something special for that birthday.

The only way my I can afford it is to give up my cruises

for 2007:rolleyes:.....lets see how I get through the next year.

And that is still going inside...but I really want to do

a Transatlantic or Europe. The time frame for what I

am looking at isn't even open yet.

Wish me luck....it looks like I will be staying home after

my December cruise...for at least 16 or 17 months.

Ooops..sorry I got off the purses/shoes topic...forgive me.

Hi Lois,

What a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday! Kudos to you!

I have a somewhat crazy idea thought that might prevent you from missing out on cruising for the coming months.

When I owned a flower shop back in the BC days (before children), I had read numerous advertisements in professional journals for people to teach floral design on board cruise ships. Hubby and I cruised a short time later, and I checked out the onboard classes to see what they were about. We also met a couple who taught dancing onboard. They said they were given free passage, an inside cabin and a small stipend in exchange for them teaching 6 dance classes.

Perhaps you could contact an HR person on a cruise line and inquire about teaching some type of class. Just from what I've read on these boards, I know you are an adventurous, outgoing, savvy woman. Perhaps you could do class on being a solo cruiser - I would be willing to bet, hearing your stories would give others impetus to do so. (which would mean more $$$ for the cruiselines). How often do we read on these boards about "couples" cruising and only one of the pair really wants to go on a cruise? Another thought is "fashion on a budget". You are the ultimate bargain shopper and your tips could help others who might not realize they can look like a million bucks without spending it. I am willing to bet there are others you could think of that would be of interest to the cruiseline.

I hope your realize your dreams of your transatlantic cruise without having to give up others. Some food for thought, my hubby, who has been successful in sales for years has a motto: "The worst thing they can say is no."

Hi girls, thanks for the replies:) ya'll are just special.

I will try to reply to each:

Judy, I know you are correct~repositioning cruises are always

less money and I am trying to definitely take that into

consideration. I have used the same TA for almost 3 years

now. I sent her an email on Friday. (she usually replies quickly)

but I haven't heard back yet..maybe she is on vacation for

the Holiday weekend. But I know one way is always less $:)

MomofMeg, Yes, I have sailed Constellation before and

love her. But Sept 2007 is not in my time frame. I am sure

you will enjoy your cruise.

Sox Fan, thank you for those thoughts too. In theory

you might be correct and your hubby is right, all they

can say is "no" but I will be totally honest with you...

I don't want to "work" while on the ship. Hope this

makes sense.

And I don't want you to think I am not appreciative

of the suggestion. But once I am on a ship...well,

I don't want to "have to be somewhere" at a certain

time, place, etc....unless of course it is an "excursion

of my choice";)

I have some ways I can save some extra money

which I won't get into on here. Just hoping

it all works out for me.

I will keep ya'll posted about this...because ya'll

are so nice and helpful:)

I will try to reply to each:

Judy, I know you are correct~repositioning cruises are always

less money and I am trying to definitely take that into

consideration. I have used the same TA for almost 3 years

now. I sent her an email on Friday. (she usually replies quickly)

but I haven't heard back yet..maybe she is on vacation for

the Holiday weekend. But I know one way is always less $:)

MomofMeg, Yes, I have sailed Constellation before and

love her. But Sept 2007 is not in my time frame. I am sure

you will enjoy your cruise.

makes sense.

of my choice";)

it all works out for me.

Lois, we are celebrating our Jan. 2008 -25 years of marriage then-as you know-there are not many European cruises in January-so we are celebrating a few months early-I don't have a problem with that- as we got engaged on Labor Day weekend-so it WILL be 25 years since we were engaged. (Besides I think Meg is planning a big todo-party on our actual anniversary-I am not supposed to know that!)

Now for our 30th we will do Hawaii and I guess we can do that one in January! Maybe you should look into Hawaii? then you can post about it and I can drool for 5 years while I wait for our trip!!!!

Thanks everyone,

I was in a funk, thanks for your support. I am in between terms. It is a merry-go-round 12 weeks on 1 week off, only 9 more terms then my dissertation. I do put extra pressure on myslf to keep my 4.0.

Mom, thanks for your concern.:) I do not have diabetic neruopathy, I have nerve damage in my neck and right foot due to automobile accidents. Sorry about your pain and suffering. The pain and sensations in my foot are the same the difference is the cause. Talk with your doc, there are new meds for neuropathic pain. For me it's not just the pain but the other sensations like electric shocks and the feeling that something is crawling up my foot that drive me nuts.

Jane, Thanks,for the kind words and thoughts. I can't wait to take out my olive YSL. I'm still using my Fiore and Gucci Flora, but as soon as it feels like fall, oh wait a minute, it's cool out!:cool:

Mrs Moose, You are so very kind and caring. Thank you for reaching out to me.:)

Linda

Thanks everyone,

I was in a funk, thanks for your support. I am in between terms. It is a merry-go-round 12 weeks on 1 week off, only 9 more terms then my dissertation. I do put extra pressure on myslf to keep my 4.0.

Mom, thanks for your concern.:) I do not have diabetic neruopathy, I have nerve damage in my neck and right foot due to automobile accidents. Sorry about your pain and suffering. The pain and sensations in my foot are the same the difference is the cause. Talk with your doc, there are new meds for neuropathic pain. For me it's not just the pain but the other sensations like electric shocks and the feeling that something is crawling up my foot that drive me nuts.

Jane, Thanks,for the kind words and thoughts. I can't wait to take out my olive YSL. I'm still using my Fiore and Gucci Flora, but as soon as it feels like fall, oh wait a minute, it's cool out!:cool:

Linda

Well whatever reason you buy things-my thinking is it is no one's business but your own!!!! Never justify to anyone!!!!!!! I am sorry to hear about your auto accident.

Yes I know there are pain killers on the market for that-I am afraid though-if I went that way-I would just give up and forget the diet-the pain reminds me what I did to myself not listening to my Dr. and I should stick to my diet so I don't destroy anything else-you know like my kidneys or my heart.

makes sense.

of my choice";)

it all works out for me.

Definitely keep us all posted and yes, I understand VACATION is VACATION. I too hope it all works out for you and you're able to enjoy many cruises!

Thanks everyone,

Linda

No problem, Ryansmom, I hope you are "feeling better" and I hope you wear your new YSL bag in the best of health and happiness, ENJOY!!

BTW, it's not to early to start wearing it now. Go for it no time like the present to enjoy something new.:)

It was hurtful to me that no one responded to me earlier in this thread. It should not have been, but it was. For some reason, I felt that way right now. I have been around long enough to know better than to take things personally, but I just had to let all of you who know me know how I feel.

I know I have been busy. But I try to check in when I can. Sorry if that has not been often enough.

Linda:(

Gee, I feel like I need to say I am sorry since this was a thread I started,

I , like other, did not respond for two reasons.

1) I agreed with all that was said and had nothing at the time to add.

2) I have been gone for three days!

I remember your post regarding your new purse from awhile ago, I think you thought Jane would like the color or something, or she diid, hmmmm or both...

Anyway, I am sorry as well if I hurt your feelings.:)

So--Linda--I take it you're over the pity party!!! I'd blame it on the weather. These past few days my arthritis has been so painful. Pain can always put you out of sorts. Olive Muse bag-good color, great bag. Did you pick out an outfit to wear it with? What I'd really like to know is how did you obtain ZsaZsa Gabor's Judith Lieber evening bag. You have a great husband. Someday I would like to tell you about my Summer Tompkins bag and my experience at a demolition derby.

Take care,

Pat...........Oh, BTW...I asked the same question twice on this thread and in 59 replies to this thread I received one answer.

Coach has a gorgeous chocolate suede tote I want, but alas, my tan leather one I've had since college will NOT die. Seriously, it's 15 years old and I use it every day for half the year to carry stuff for work, and it's in mostly fabulous shape.

A couple years ago I started buying Tignanello leather bags for my "every day" bags--have a nice turquoise one for summer and a brick red smallish tote for winter. Found a magenta suede hobo I might use for early fall (sort of awkward--fabric color is "spring-y", but it's suede--when to use?) I won't spend designer money on a bag--not my style--but I do love Coach....I just don't change my bag that often, so I don't really need more--running out of space in the closet:rolleyes: Have the Coach station bag and a couple smaller bags--old styles not made anymore, you can't kill those things.....

Well, I'll pull my head out of my Vera Bradley tote and take a stab at this...I'm not a "I have to have "designer" anything by a long shot, but this is my collection:

1.Vera Bradley "Villager"? tote used as a purse when I need something big.

2. Liz Claiborne wallet I just looked at today, forgetting it was a "name" (purchased almost 7 years ago at an outlet store). It was a "don't-need-it-but-really-like-it" purchase.

3. Apostrophe shoulder bag for everyday use (about 2 years old)

4. Cole-Hahn briefcase that I bought about 9 years ago and never really used and maybe should sell on e-bay.

5. Deena (of Maine) purse that was a gift (too small for everyday, maybe should make it a "date-bag" instead of keeping it boxed in the closet - But Liz wallet doesn't fit in it).:(

6. Really no-name JC Penney "Call me collection" bag to replace Apostrophe bag (has spot for cell phone, so I don't have to dig it out of the bottom of the bag!).

7. I didn't dig out the gold beaded evening purse, purchased cheap for my brother's wedding in 1999, but I don't think it's anything really special.

8. Small black evening bag with wrist-strap that a bargain-hunter friend gave me - no name found in it.

I fell in love with a Michael Kors bag this year. It's palm leaf printed canvas with leather accents. I loved it so much I bought it in two different styles. Even though it's past Labor Day, I am still using it. I guess I'll switch over to my black Kate Spade bag for Winter after our October cruise.

As for evening bags, my favorite designer is Judith Leiber. Her jeweled animal bags are precious...and drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, I can't afford her bags. Maybe someday...if I win the lottery.;)

Wowsa, I think I am the only who dislikes handbags very much! Actually, I dislike accessories very much too. Even so, I will share my favorite handbag:

My favorite bag was a gift eight years ago from a cruise friend . It is about the size of a 120 Longs Cigarette box with three zippered pockets. It is black and I think it is leather. A long string is attached. I use it when I go out and when I travel...it can hold my money, license, credit card, hospital card, pill box, cell phone, passport and crucifix. Oh yeah, and the cigarettes and lighter too.

I finally asked my cruisefriend where she got it because even though "I get a lot of razzing" from people (that is all they see me with), they all want one. Come to find out, she paid one dollar for it at the dollar store. I love it all the more!

I have one more confession...I also use it on formal night...I just put the string inside the zipper.

Coka

Just wondering what type of handbags do you go for? Who are YOUR favorite designers? No flames....Just curious....

Okay, so in my own personal "netiquette" I am being completely rude here...

(Meaning that I am not bothering to read through this whole thread, as I think it's really rude to answer a thread without reading through all of the responses first)

So, being rude, because this is the ONE thing about women's fashion that I just don't and will NEVER get!

From a guy perspective...

I don't get this whole "trying on purses" thing...

I can tell you what is good for you clothing-wise (fit, color, fashion)...

What shoes work and look good on your feet...

What accessories look good with your coloring and style personality...

Purses?!?!

I don't get it!

Woman to Curt Jerome Wild: "Does this purse "fit" or "look good on me"?

Curt Jerome Wild: "Uhmm, are you able to put your arm into the strap? Can you hang it comfortably on your shoulder?

Then as far as I'm concerned it "fits"...

Woman, I'm not ever looking at your purse!

Just saying...

CJW:confused: :o :D

For some of you Project Runway fans...

So, my mom is all "excited", because she got this Michael Kors purse (which she LURVS) from Nordstrom's Rack...

She loves it and says that it is "perfect" for her...:D

And loves it even more (because she likes his mom from the "mom episode")...;)

And she got it for some huge discount, which she loves even more...

I don't know, it's the one fashion area, that I don't know if I'll ever "get".:confused:

Anyway, my mom is all happy and thrilled with her Michael Kors purse find...:D

CJW

:confused:

If you like sift leather Wilsons' Leather has some really nice purses espically the lambskin ones. You kinda sound like me, something trendy that still fits my personal taste and small. I dont like chunky purses. I have found several cute ones at Brighton.

If you like sift leather Wilsons' Leather has some really nice purses espically the lambskin ones. You kinda sound like me, something trendy that still fits my personal taste and small. I dont like chunky purses. I have found several cute ones at Brighton.

Their purses look good and also the lining of their purses holds up. I hate a purse looking nice and good from the outside but the lining ripping out from the inside. Not only does it have to be good quality leather for me that can be scratched but yet the color is not gone in the scratches-but it has to have a good quality lining.

From a guy perspective...

I don't get this whole "trying on purses" thing...

I can tell you what is good for you clothing-wise (fit, color, fashion)...

What shoes work and look good on your feet...

What accessories look good with your coloring and style personality...

Purses?!?!

I don't get it!

Woman to Curt Jerome Wild: "Does this purse "fit" or "look good on me"?

Curt Jerome Wild: "Uhmm, are you able to put your arm into the strap? Can you hang it comfortably on your shoulder?

Then as far as I'm concerned it "fits"...

Woman, I'm not ever looking at your purse!

Just saying...

CJW:confused: :o :D

Okay dahlink, here goes....just a few tips....

SOME women don't give a hoot about handbags and simply view it as a utilitarian object. If it holds what they need to carry, then it's fine and generally only replaced when it falls apart. No right or wrong about that, but for the purposes of this discussion, I'm leaving this group out because there's simply nothing to discuss.

(Honestly, I was a member of this group for many, many years - I hated handbags and simply owned a black one for winter and a tan one for summer, which hardly got used. (The ones I had were very good quality, but were boringly classic in style) I used to keep money, keys, credit cards and lipstick in my pants and jacket pockets and that's all. Then in the mid 90's - pants got slimmer, pockets eliminated, jackets were replaced by twin sweater sets and I got a cell phone. I suddenly had no place for my "stuff" and had to pay attention to bags.)

Some women buy handbags because......

1. it enhances the whole look of the outfit and "ties it all together" either by color or texture.

When putting an outfit together, the best way to really see it is to lay the pieces on the floor. If you do that and then place a few handbag choices with it, you'll really see how a bag can enhance or detract from an outfit.

2. it can enhance or detract from someone's figure. There are figure "do's and don'ts" when it comes to buying the right bag for a woman's body shape. It's about balance and proportion. I'm 5'6", sz 6 but big in the butt. If a bag hangs too low on me, it can make me look wider in the hips. The bucket shaped bag, with a wide flat bottom & gathered top edge gives me an overall unflattering appearance. A friend of mine has gained alot of weight in the past two years and has gone from about a size 12 to about a size 20, can no longer carry the little dainty purses she loves - they look silly on her. I've seen size 24 ladies on cruises wearing formal gowns and carrying a teeny tiny evening purses that look liked they were borrowed from someone who's smaller than a size 12. It only accentuates their size and gives than an awkward "I'm uncomfortable in my own skin" appearance.

I can wear an east-west style bag that hangs on my shoulder and is parallel to my bustline because I'm not overly endowed, but a woman with large breasts can't because it's just too much bulk for that area of her body.

A short woman who's a size 2, can't wear those hugely oversized handbags, they make her look like she's carrying around a laundry bag - no matter how pretty the bag is, it looks silly.

3. it makes the statement who you are. A women's handbag speaks for her in the same way that a man's tie, watch or shoes speak about him. I'll quit now as it's always an explosive topic on this board. :)

Then of course, women have personal preferences in how their bags should function - cell phone slot on outside, inside? Zip top or snap flap? Hard frame, soft frame??etc etc etc

I could write tomes more, but will refrain fearing putting all to sleep. But just wanted to give you a little insight in hopes you'll "get it" a little more.

I'm off to the Reem Acra fashion show. Her things are soooo beautiful. Saw Gottex swimwear on Friday - gorgeous as always.

Jane

Give me a great pair of shoes and a great purse, and I can go anywhere. Just like I wouldn't think of going out of the house without makeup and hair done, I dont feel put together till the shoes and purse are just right. The right shoes and purse can take a simple outfit of tailored jeans and black turtleneck to a very polished look.

Jane110 made most of the what looks good with a women's figure points, but I'll add some of the practical stuff to the lecture;) : I rarely carry a handbag (last time was my Burmuda bag in about 1982 and I could put that on top of the load of books I was carrying in high school). I'm much more of a hands-free shoulder bag person! I also prefer one that falls near my hips (having no waistline - and I'm 5'8" so finding a strap long enough is not always easy) and that isn't too big or too small. Plus I have to like the color, material, and style. I may be the fussiest bag person in the universe! I have gone a couple of years without buying a bag because I just don't find what I want (luckily, the ones I was carrying at the time were good bags and didn't die on me!).

I have a classic black Coach bag that I received 17 yrs ago (for my sweet 16!) that I still use constantly. It's small enough so I can't put too much junk into it, so it remains comfortably light. It may be plain, but it's a classic for a reason.

Marimekko has some bags that are in the most fabulous patterns which have become "classic" in their own right.

I love, and have carried every day for 6 years, my Louis Vuitton Speedy. It is so well made - shows no wear, and I can stuff 3 pair of glasses, a paperback, wallet, and everything else I need in it with no problems. Expensive, but worth every penny! :D

Cathy

I agree completely and I have had my speedy about 5 years and just bought the alma. I love that speedy though as it is like a mini suitcase and they are worth every penny and I am hard on a handbag! :)